Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That av :stonkhat:

Do you, uh, want something a little easier on the eyes? A swastika or goatse, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I’m open to the idea of anybody replacing it with whatever they want, just to see what the mystery buyer comes up with next.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Why is the de-facto argument of people who don't care about privacy, "I have nothing to hide"? It's the most tiring conversation to have since literally ever.

The people who don’t care about privacy wrt Facebook and co probably believe that they aren’t at risk (“why would anyone target me specifically?”) and the people who don’t care about privacy from law enforcement/government probably think “the law is the law and why would the NSA care about my dick pics when they’ve got bad guys to catch?”

e: I think the whole “well you wouldn’t mind letting me see your phone” is a really bad way to frame it. Of course they mind, you’re either a stranger or a friend they wouldn’t want finding damaging stuff. But the second type of people are stuck on the part where they think only bad people need to worry and they aren’t bad people, therefore they don’t have to worry.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 31, 2018

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I would care a whole lot less about privacy if it was a glass pane rather than a one-way mirror.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Klyith posted:

I would care a whole lot less about privacy if it was a glass pane rather than a one-way mirror.

I miss valleywag

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Why is the de-facto argument of people who don't care about privacy, "I have nothing to hide"? It's the most tiring conversation to have since literally ever.

In the words of Cardinal Richelieu:

If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of men, I will find something in them which will hang him.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

ChubbyThePhat posted:

What's super funny is that there are people that are hosed in the job market because their possible employers keep looking them up on social networks .

Yes, this company is going to hire a person that is posting about how they drank too much and woke up late for work at their previous job repeatedly.

Nothing to hide means even though you are not doing anything illegal doesn't mean people can't judge you.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Boris Galerkin posted:

The people who don’t care about privacy wrt Facebook and co probably believe that they aren’t at risk (“why would anyone target me specifically?”) and the people who don’t care about privacy from law enforcement/government probably think “the law is the law and why would the NSA care about my dick pics when they’ve got bad guys to catch?”
My biggest market are boomers, so the above is very commonly followed by, "Oh, but I'd never order a plane tick online or shop Amazon, cause I can't be certain I'd trust that."

Motherfucker, you tell literally the whole globe each time to leave to house to go on vacation or even for an evening out at the movies. Can I use this as license to screw with your home?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Thanks Ants posted:

Especially as it’s not true. Any request for them to let you borrow their unlocked phone would be met with resistance.

You could look at my phone unlocked, but there's a difference between "nothing to hide" and "goon texting my boss about giving their teenage daughter syphilis".

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

EVIL Gibson posted:

Nothing to hide means even though you are not doing anything illegal doesn't mean people can't judge you.

Also doesn't mean it won't be decided later that you did something that's now illegal.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

duz posted:

Also doesn't mean it won't be decided later that you did something that's now illegal.

With the US government now actually passing retroactive laws, this is legit.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

EVIL Gibson posted:

I dislike the guy, but Snowden once (famously?) said "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." I still think that's apt.

And that's before I start on a privacy is the basis of freedom tangent.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

With the US government now actually passing retroactive laws, this is legit.

Isn’t the idea of Ex Post Facto one of the major bases of our law system, up there with due process?

Actually, considering due process is considered unnecessary for stuff like the no fly list, that might explain it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

There's an orgy of poo poo that's normal to do, illegal, and presently unenforced. Past perpetrators are not shielded when enforcement perogatives change.

Also, good luck finding justice in the US for less than high five figures.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 1, 2018

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Isn’t the idea of Ex Post Facto one of the major bases of our law system, up there with due process?

Actually, considering due process is considered unnecessary for stuff like the no fly list, that might explain it.

Look in to that "anti-sex trafficking law", and it retroactively criminalizes activities. They were told by the DoJ it was unconstitutional, but voted as-is.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Look in to that "anti-sex trafficking law", and it retroactively criminalizes activities. They were told by the DoJ it was unconstitutional, but voted as-is.

Because if one of them didn’t, regardless of their party, they would lose the next election, because their opponents would all say they were opposed to stopping child sex trafficking. Anybody in Congress who actually believes this law will survive any legal challenges either authored the bill or didn’t read past the summary.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Potato Salad posted:

There's an orgy of poo poo that's normal to do, illegal, and presently unenforced. Past perpetrators are not shielded when enforcement perogatives change.

Ask them if they ever Jay-walked with a smartphone. :shrug:

In blockchain news, this is pithy, although a bit busy:

https://twitter.com/ncweaver/status/980485587827224577

Edit:

https://twitter.com/_MG_/status/981019378245226498

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 3, 2018

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Double Punctuation posted:

Because if one of them didn’t, regardless of their party, they would lose the next election, because their opponents would all say they were opposed to stopping child sex trafficking. Anybody in Congress who actually believes this law will survive any legal challenges either authored the bill or didn’t read past the summary.

The cynical part of me thinks they want it struck down, because it would have been easy to amend out the blatantly unconstitutional part.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What's proxy info for employers? It seems like giving them the wrong info would be fraud, or at least get you fired.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You make them hire your one-man firm.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What's proxy info for employers? It seems like giving them the wrong info would be fraud, or at least get you fired.

Uh in the staging environment?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ohgodwhat posted:

How's that related?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

ohgodwhat posted:

wait, what

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

evil_bunnY posted:

How's that related?

I'm trying to understand why they would keep employee records in a test environment, why the gently caress do you not have those locked down? What testing was being done that needed that info?

FlyingCowOfDoom fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 3, 2018

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

I'm trying to understand why they would keep employee records in a test environment, why the gently caress do you have those not locked down? What testing was being done that needed that info?

I like how the impact of the listed details and it is just about summed up as , "if you are a vendor or customer, you are super super safe as a corporate entity. If you are a person, maaaaaybe get a new banking account and... Everything else

But customers and vendors, you guys are super good please don't drop us please don't drop us"

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

I'm trying to understand why they would keep employee records in a test environment, why the gently caress do you not have those locked down? What testing was being done that needed that info?

Lazy DB admin that didn't feel like working with anyone to generate some fake data so they just said gently caress it and copied it from production.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

How's that related?

Edit: I may have misunderstood the tweet actually... Hmm

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 3, 2018

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Inept posted:

Lazy DB admin Developer that didn't feel like working with anyone to generate some fake data so they just said gently caress it and copied it from production.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Inept posted:

Lazy DB admin that didn't feel like working with anyone to generate some fake data so they just said gently caress it and copied it from production.

Less lazy db admin and more the CTO loving up things.

https://blogs.workday.com/using-data-to-improve-the-development-process-at-workday/

Here's Workday hinting at what was revealed today.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

This fuckin picture

https://twitter.com/BoozAllenCyber/status/978632885438689280?s=19

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is that them intercepting PC shipments to gently caress with the firmwares

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

You think a company with infosec that horrible didn't just clone the live dataset?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Is that them intercepting PC shipments to gently caress with the firmwares

Finally, PoC for Rizenfall.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I remember some medical software company got busted a year ago or so for going on the road to demonstrate its software in public, pulling up patient records and poo poo. Using a hospital's actual patient database. Which was live. And the hospital had no idea the vendor was doing this.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

I remember some medical software company got busted a year ago or so for going on the road to demonstrate its software in public, pulling up patient records and poo poo. Using a hospital's actual patient database. Which was live. And the hospital had no idea the vendor was doing this.

It was an infosec company, unless there was a similar story from an medical records company which wouldn't surprise me.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/20/tanium_hospital_it_demo/, which links to a WSJ article behind a paywall: https://www.wsj.com/articles/cybersecurity-startup-tanium-exposed-california-hospitals-network-in-demos-without-permission-1492624287

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

rafikki posted:

It was an infosec company, unless there was a similar story from an medical records company which wouldn't surprise me.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/20/tanium_hospital_it_demo/, which links to a WSJ article behind a paywall: https://www.wsj.com/articles/cybersecurity-startup-tanium-exposed-california-hospitals-network-in-demos-without-permission-1492624287

Yep, that’s the one. Tanium. There was even talk of possible jail time because of HIPAA, but I never heard anything more about it so lol probably nothing happened.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

I hope they choose their security algorithms better than their image scaling ones.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Maybe it's one of those images with data encoded into it

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

I'm not surprised in the slightest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Facebook says most people on its network may have had their profiles scraped by third parties
Washington Post
Facebook said Wednesday that most of its 2 billion users likely have had their personal information scraped and shared by third-party developers without their explicit permission, dramatically raising the stakes in a privacy controversy that has dogged the company for weeks, spurred investigations in the United States and Europe and sent the company's stock price tumbling.

The acknowledgement came in a Facebook blog post Wednesday afternoon in which the company for the first time detailed the scale of the improper data collection for Cambridge Analytica, a political data consultancy hired by President Trump and other Republican candidates in the last two federal election cycles. The political consultancy gained access to Facebook information on up to 87 million users, most of them Americans, Facebook said. Cambridge Analytica obtained the data to build "psychographic" profiles that would help deliver target messages intended to shape voter behavior in a wide range of U.S. elections.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...with-outsiders/