Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I remember his slogan, Alla Ya Follow Me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

What kind of crime does the real yakuza do? I know the (American) mafia does extremely boring crime like laundering money through online poker, because boring crime is where the money is. I think the Sicilian mafia still does protection rackets, but then they actually protect the people who pay, making them basically the police

All the above. Protection rackets, money laundering, human trafficking, drug trade, realty, gambling, extortion, etc. Since Japan is so small and homogenous they do a lot of international business which gets imported back to Japan.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Say what you want about Far Cry 5, they got the awesome band Hammock to do the soundtrack and it's fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RjcSAaUzbI

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've had O John stuck in my head all day at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbBJFaMY9mQ

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

precision posted:

Say what you want about Far Cry 5, they got the awesome band Hammock to do the soundtrack and it's fantastic:

The music and environmental audio are really good. I really like how there’s speakers around with random unsettling chorus hymns. Reminds me of the better parts of Bioshock Infinite’s first bit where you land at the church.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

homeless snail posted:

I remember his slogan, Alla Ya Follow Me

*fart*

precision posted:

The licensed and unlicensed music is real good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This will probably be harbahe but I'm still looking forward to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyANA_vt5-4

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

glam rock hamhock posted:

This will probably be harbahe but I'm still looking forward to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyANA_vt5-4

Is that an FMV game in the year 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Internet Kraken posted:

Is that an FMV game in the year 2018

Contradiction was extremely good tho

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Didn't the actual 7th guest devs try to kickstart a third one and it failed miserably because everything that made 7th guest revolutionary at the time would make a very poorly designed game today

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the only good thing about the 7th guest is the puzzle that's literally impossible on modern cpus without fiddling with stuff

that might have been the 11th hour

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah, the music in Far Cry 5 is always perfect for whatever situation you find it in. It’s also the first time I remember hearing NPCs sing along to music in a non-music-based game.

The first thing I would mod would be a way to mute the antagonists’ propaganda speeches that sometimes play in outposts. Let me hear the music, Jacob

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's such a pain in the rear end getting either running on a modern computer at all (DOSbox does not like games with multiple discs) that I think most people playing them are following guides which all get you to limit the FPS or something. I played them like 5 years ago and had no issues with impossible puzzles.

I'd say 7th Guest is a very remarkable game for the era, and partially holds up. The puzzles are mostly good with some stinkers but there's some questionable design decisions. 11th Hour is technically more impressive and is easier to play these days but by that point there were more games on the market with the same level of competence--Myst came out less than six months after 7th Guest, and I have a sneaking suspicion nobody would care about 7th Guest if Myst had come out earlier than it.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah, the music in Far Cry 5 is always perfect for whatever situation you find it in. It’s also the first time I remember hearing NPCs sing along to music in a non-music-based game.

Saint's Row 2 got it right the first time.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why can’t she sing on time, that was frustrating

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w28PFvKNAWE

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The only good thing about 11th Hour is the soundtrack, it's like a more experimental Zombies Ate My Neighbors

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w28PFvKNAWE

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The most important thing about that 7th Guest fan game is that they got the actor that played Stauf to come back so I'm down no matter how bad it ends up being

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 3, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
When I was a kid the first time I ever saw the word "horny" was in the 11th Hour guidebook, which like many other guidebooks of the era contained a novelization of the game that doubled as a walkthrough

al-azad
May 28, 2009

George Sanger, The Fat Man. Responsible for Maniac Mansion's awesome NES soundtrack, Wing Commander, ZAMN, and Ultima Underworld.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhiAInI4qyM

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Megaman 2 powerbook or whatever they were called had a bad boss order as I recall.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the first time I heard the word horny we had a round table (actually we were sitting under a round table) discussion to determine what the word meant, we decided that it came from horny toad because frogs gently caress

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think its because if a man is aroused they will appear to have a "horn" in their pants.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

hmm... no I think its the frogs

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

I think its because if a man is aroused they will appear to have a "horn" in their pants.

A quick google says this is partially right. "Horn" is old eighteenth century slang for an erection.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I thought “on the horn” meant “on the phone”

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It's named after John Horn, the inventor of erections

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Jay Rust posted:

people back in the day were not as thirsty as folks today so the terms coexisted.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I hate talking on the phone but I love getting on the horn

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jay Rust posted:

Well you see that was back when phone sex meant loving the phone.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Getting someone on the horn is to call them on the phone. Getting your horn on with sometime is something else

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

glam rock hamhock posted:

Getting someone on the horn is to call them on the phone. Getting your horn on with sometime is something else

If you're really good they can be the same thing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'd gently caress it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I admire the person who said "you know what I want on my wallpaper? Cats, flowers, and watering cans"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheetah7071 posted:

I admire the person who said "you know what I want on my wallpaper? Cats, flowers, and watering cans"

Thanks for complimenting my grandma.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Dragon Quest Builders question, is there eventually any way to lay down lots of earth fast, like for making hills or evening out floors? Destroying I’m fine on with the spin attack, at least.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

the first time I heard the word horny we had a round table (actually we were sitting under a round table) discussion to determine what the word meant, we decided that it came from horny toad because frogs gently caress

When I was like 9 I was helping my teacher put some stuff away in a storage room and she pointed to one of those big blue gym crash mat things and said something to the other teacher about 69ing on it and when I asked what she meant they both laughed at me and told me I could leave

Then I told my friends but none of them knew what 69 meant either

hoping I'll figure it out someday

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Help Im Alive posted:

When I was like 9 I was helping my teacher put some stuff away in a storage room and she pointed to one of those big blue gym crash mat things and said something to the other teacher about 69ing on it and when I asked what she meant they both laughed at me and told me I could leave

I'm pretty sure she meant that it was 31% off at the store, so they only had to pay 69% of its original price. I'm glad your school was able to save money on gym mats.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Help Im Alive posted:

It's the weed number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Colonel posted:

the only good thing about the 7th guest is the puzzle that's literally impossible on modern cpus without fiddling with stuff

that might have been the 11th hour

It was T7G, the microscope puzzle which worked on a principle not unlike Reversi/Othello but with different changing the pieces' color rules I think.

Anyway the way the puzzle is apparently programmed is that the computer AI goes through as many possible moves as it can in 1 second and then does the best move from the choices it could analyze in that limited time. This basically made the AI's strength entirely a function of your CPU's power, and with higher-end Pentiums computers could actually analyse all moves within that 1 second and would thus effectively play perfectly.

• Locked thread