Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

Good news is it will soon be 5 games! They're announcing rome 2 soon

Dont forget east vs we- *begins crying. first a little bit then a lot*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

That game looked poised to be a loving poo poo show.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Finally finished my first campaign after more than a year (life gets in the way; whole campaign was on 1.19 as a result). I went in with the intention of securing a lot of vassals as Austria via the privilegia revocation and ended with 130 princes in the empire. I'm pretty happy with that result for a first game, though I'm sure I could better it by quite a bit with the experience. The world at the beginning of 1821:

And the state of the HRE:

The line Armenia-Nogai-Bashkiria-Russia marks its eastern extent; all European states outside Britain and Iberia are members.
Thanks to some of the thread regulars for giving me advice at the start.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Randarkman posted:

I'd really like Rome 2 to be honest, though I guess this is a joke. Also yeah, if so they're spreading themselves thin.

They are for sure confirmed to be announcing a new PDS game. And I am far too pessimistic to believe it's vicky 3. I guess it could be a new title maybe

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I'm pretty disappointed that they are adding new features instead of just polishing and adding more unique missions/events/decisions.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Oh god. The Commonwealth joined the HRE and has been the emperor for 50 years :gonk: how am I going to conquer Germany in the name of the Italian Republic?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh god. The Commonwealth joined the HRE and has been the emperor for 50 years :gonk: how am I going to conquer Germany in the name of the Italian Republic?

With a fuckton of dead Russians?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Traxis posted:

I'm pretty disappointed that they are adding new features instead of just polishing and adding more unique missions/events/decisions.

Assuming that they're going to roll some existing features such as unique government types and parliaments and gently caress knows what else into this new system it should be a good bit of 'polish' as well as adding some new stuff.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

dublish posted:

Might work...

France has been my designated "beat up on Spain" buddy for the past century or so. Once I'm through with Spain, I'll cozy up to Russia and see if General Winter can take care of those pesky Poles.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Anyone tried Riga/Livonian Order in the latest patch? Everything I find says to fabricate on Danzig and add it to the HRE, but Lithuania starts with permanent claims on all of Riga and LO and Denmark gets permanent claims after one mission, so even if I manage to take Danzig (on which Poland starts with a permanent claim :geno:) I am finding it very difficult to survive long enough for that to work.

I don't want to no CB East Frisia.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Traxis posted:

I really wish this was a priority for them moving forward so they can just knock out more and more regions as time goes on and flesh out existing ones.

edit: I understand it really isn't feasible to have every nation to have what England/GB has but I can dream.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
So, i'm really bad at the game, but having fun (similar to my experiences with all of Paradox's other games and Dominions 4) how the heck do you make money? I had a go with Portugal, and I get war declared on me straight away by Monaco, and can't enlarge my army, because that imediately puts me in debt. Is it just trade? Any buildings that might improve production or income seem a long way away.

As a disclaimer, I have very little of the DLC, just Res Publica, Wealth of Nations and Conquest of Paradise. I plan to grab a few more the next time they're on special.

I'm sorry to ask here. I know there's a lot of strategy guides out there, but they seem to assume a level of competence and understanding that I really don't have.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Snowman_McK posted:

So, i'm really bad at the game, but having fun (similar to my experiences with all of Paradox's other games and Dominions 4) how the heck do you make money? I had a go with Portugal, and I get war declared on me straight away by Monaco, and can't enlarge my army, because that imediately puts me in debt. Is it just trade? Any buildings that might improve production or income seem a long way away.

As a disclaimer, I have very little of the DLC, just Res Publica, Wealth of Nations and Conquest of Paradise. I plan to grab a few more the next time they're on special.

I'm sorry to ask here. I know there's a lot of strategy guides out there, but they seem to assume a level of competence and understanding that I really don't have.

The quickest way to get a bunch of cash is by taking loans. The game will do this automatically for you if you run out of money, but you can take several at a time if you just need a lot of money to buy troops. But loans have interest which can cut significantly into your ability to pay them back, so you need to be a bit careful about how much debt you go into. Debt itself isn’t bad though as long as you’re still making money.

The next best way to make quick cash is to demand it from enemies in peace deals. Depends on you being able to beat them of course.

In the early game most of your regular income will be coming from tax. Later production, trade, and tariffs will become more important sources of income, especially for a smallish nation like Portugal that has the potential to get a lot of colonies. Income boosting buildings are nice to have, but will never be the determining factor of whether you make a ton of money or not.

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
Is anybody else’s Ming nomadic frontier disaster working? The any_neighbour_country scope is checking Ming itself instead. In game the conditions for allowing it to start ticking are

Ming’s Goverment form is Steppe Nomads
Total Development at least 300 (Currently 1101)

I turned off all mods and deleted the disaster file and revalidated. Still a no go.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

skasion posted:

The quickest way to get a bunch of cash is by taking loans. The game will do this automatically for you if you run out of money, but you can take several at a time if you just need a lot of money to buy troops. But loans have interest which can cut significantly into your ability to pay them back, so you need to be a bit careful about how much debt you go into. Debt itself isn’t bad though as long as you’re still making money.

The next best way to make quick cash is to demand it from enemies in peace deals. Depends on you being able to beat them of course.

In the early game most of your regular income will be coming from tax. Later production, trade, and tariffs will become more important sources of income, especially for a smallish nation like Portugal that has the potential to get a lot of colonies. Income boosting buildings are nice to have, but will never be the determining factor of whether you make a ton of money or not.

Ah, I was just demanding land when I had a go as the Ottomans.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

Ah, I was just demanding land when I had a go as the Ottomans.

Most of the time you want the land but occasionally you have to demand some money instead if its going to put you over 100% overextension or give you enough AE to cause a coalition.

If the country is small enough you can take their money and their land

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Firebatgyro posted:

Most of the time you want the land but occasionally you have to demand some money instead if its going to put you over 100% overextension or give you enough AE to cause a coalition.

If the country is small enough you can take their money and their land

I managed to get both from Karaman(Caraman?) but there was one province I couldn't demand because it couldn't be cored. What's the deal with that? They were also at war with 'Adana' but i controled every province.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

I managed to get both from Karaman(Caraman?) but there was one province I couldn't demand because it couldn't be cored. What's the deal with that? They were also at war with 'Adana' but i controled every province.

Either you were over 100% warscore or the province wasn't adjacent somehow. Pretty sure Ottomans should be able to just grab all of Karamon in one go though.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Either you were over 100% warscore or the province wasn't adjacent somehow. Pretty sure Ottomans should be able to just grab all of Karamon in one go though.

I was at 92% warscore. I saved the game right before I said yes, so if I figure out what went wrong, I can go back. Would a screenshot of the 'sue for peace' screen help?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

aphid_licker posted:

No reason the AI needs to be virtually clicking all the tabs and buttons.

Eh what? That's not what "Using the system" for the AI means. The AI never interacts with the actual UI....

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

I was at 92% warscore. I saved the game right before I said yes, so if I figure out what went wrong, I can go back. Would a screenshot of the 'sue for peace' screen help?

Maybe yeah. It's probably that the last province costs over 8%. There's a popup somewhere that says like "Can't take over 100% warscore" if that's the case.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Could also be that the last province iwould be surrounded by another country, so you don't border it, and hence it's out of coring range.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

OperaMouse posted:

Could also be that the last province iwould be surrounded by another country, so you don't border it, and hence it's out of coring range.

That actually makes sense. It's just around the corner from me. I'd still be connected to it, but only on one side.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Maybe yeah. It's probably that the last province costs over 8%. There's a popup somewhere that says like "Can't take over 100% warscore" if that's the case.

It might also be this, but it wasn't selectable even when nothing else was selected.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Maybe they should come up with some new mechanic, instead of just more mana bars that allow you to click a button to get 5% more whatever. How about a mana bar that lets you fill an other mana bar that then gives you a 5% tax bonus? Maybe make it interactive so you need to click it every 10 days.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

dublish posted:

I allied Russia and was within a year dragged into a defensive war against Super-Ottomans. :gonk:

I invaded the Balkans while Russia and the Turks slugged it out in Ukraine and the motherland. After years of attrition warfare, we won and extracted some cash from the Ottomans, giving me shitloads of favors with the Romanovs. Time to let my manpower recharge and go to war with all of Europe... it’s 1703 so I’ve got about a century to recreate Trajan’s borders :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Snowman_McK posted:

That actually makes sense. It's just around the corner from me. I'd still be connected to it, but only on one side.

It might also be this, but it wasn't selectable even when nothing else was selected.

Is the province occupied by an enemy in another war? If that is the case, either wait for that war to finish (hoping the enemy doesn't actually take it), for rebels to take occupation away and siege it for yourself, or let them have it and then go to war over it with the new enemy :v:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Doesn't Anglican get any CORs? And what's the difference between converting and "proselytizing in the new world", other than getting / spending 400~ ducats?

If OE kill the HRE as they look like they're about to in my game, do I get the Great Britain, Ascendant mission done?

Speaking of OE, new mission systems makes them even more of a beast without player involvement, I'm in the early 1500 and they have killed Poland and Hungary (although Poland keeps getting punitive'd every game due to AE from their very first war), strangled Muscovy in the crib and fed half of it to Crimea, cut Mamluks in half, and are eyeing Austria.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

canepazzo posted:

Doesn't Anglican get any CORs? And what's the difference between converting and "proselytizing in the new world", other than getting / spending 400~ ducats?

If OE kill the HRE as they look like they're about to in my game, do I get the Great Britain, Ascendant mission done?

Speaking of OE, new mission systems makes them even more of a beast without player involvement, I'm in the early 1500 and they have killed Poland and Hungary (although Poland keeps getting punitive'd every game due to AE from their very first war), strangled Muscovy in the crib and fed half of it to Crimea, cut Mamluks in half, and are eyeing Austria.

No, it was occupied by me. I'd taken all their provinces. I split my much larger army in two and took all their provinces.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

RabidWeasel posted:

If anyone wants to do a Byzantium playthrough to try out the new missions, I had the following strategy work flawlessly the first 2 times I tried it:

1. Before unpausing: guarantee Candar, mil focus, hire a mil advisor, hire a general from the nobility and pump nobility for mil points and merchants for cash, delete fort in Morea. Set all Ottoman provinces as provinces of interest, except for the Albanian provinces.

2. Improve Relations with Albania, sell your 2 barques and hire up to your army and navy forcelimits with infantry / galleys. While this is happening also improve relations to make a few throwaway allies ASAP (Wallachia is a good one) to reduce the chance of the Ottomans declaring on you.

3. If all goes well then the OE will declare on Albania as their first war; when this happens, ally Albania and accept their CtA. You'll hit mil tech 4 fairly quickly and with Venetian assistance and Skanderbeg the Ottomans are not too difficult to beat in a straight up fight. The AI will pass over occupation of almost all Balkan provinces to you; the aim here is to separate peace for Edirne and whatever else you can get, but don't take your other cores directly. Then when Albania wins their separate war they will force the Ottomans to return your other cores as part of the peace deal, essentially letting you get >150% warscore value of provinces and reparations from a single war.

This also works on hard but you need to restart until you get a dip rep advisor which is required to get a RM with Albania, without which they won't ally you even at max relations.

Have tried and failed with this three times now. I think my problem is finding allies quickly enough, as the Ottomans always declare war on me first. I can grab Wallachia as an ally no problem, but can't get relations high enough with anybody else fast enough. Who else have people been allying with successfully?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

canepazzo posted:

Yes, if they destroy the HRE and you've done the prerequisite missions that'll count for Great Britain, Ascendant. I've never seen then the Ottos take down the entire HRE though, or evcen come close. I've seen them eat Hungary and nibble at Austria plenty of times, but there's a long way to go from taking a few provinces from Austria to destroying the HRE.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

Yes please post a screenshot so people stop guessing what the problem is.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

canepazzo posted:

You spend 400 ducats to get a COR

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

RabidWeasel posted:

Assuming that they're going to roll some existing features such as unique government types and parliaments and gently caress knows what else into this new system it should be a good bit of 'polish' as well as adding some new stuff.
I wonder how this is gonna work out, given that they have a habit of not doing cross-DLC integration. I'm pretty sure this isn't gonna be the DLC that integrates estates, even though they really should be a core aspect defining your government. Like, whatever government types are available to you should basically depend on the pull of each faction, each dragging you closer to their preferred system - the nobles toward elective monarchies, the burghers toward a parliamentary system or merchant republics, and so on. Something like this:

Where the darker bits require less maintenance to stay in/are more stable than the brighter bits, and with the monarchist faction in the center to skew the system towards the historical standard of monarchic rule. What reforms are available to you would depend on where you sat in the above, with you being able to implement new laws in the section you're in or any neighboring color at a higher cost. The grey bit would of course be a highly flexible position, but the reforms here could also be less exciting - parliamentary compromise type laws that offer a little of everything, but don't push you strongly toward a certain kind of play style.

Conversely, the reforms in the colored circles would be something that had a lot of influence on how your government operated, but they'd also be a source of instability if you ended up in another color. So like, maybe you've got the Hereditary Rule reform from the dark purple circle. This is perfectly fine as long as you're inside either purple circle, but it has the potential to become a real issue if you enter one of the other colors - basically, the greater the mismatch the faster the faction currently ascendant would revolt and attempt to undo it. Unhappy monarchist factions would rise up as pretenders in a monarchy, as clearly the current monarch isn't a proper one.

I think the above could be a pretty easily understandable system for defining your government, and it'd allow a lot of variety in government types without strictly defining any given one, by making it possible to mix and match various laws. For the major laws, I'm thinking stuff like:

Elective, short terms: No automatic succession, 5 years of rule
Elective, long terms: No automatic succession, 10 years of rule
Elective for Life: Base law, no automatic dynastic succession, rules till death.
Semi-Elective: Like elective for your current government, but the ruler can tip the scales towards their own heir, based on the level of Monarchist influence.
Hereditary: Automatic inheritance for heirs.

Which would allow both historical variety and accuracy, like Denmark technically still being elective at the start of the game, allow countries to reform into internal troubles like the Commonwealth, or even weird semi-historical possibilities like a pope trying to make the position hereditary.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

RabidWeasel posted:

If anyone wants to do a Byzantium playthrough to try out the new missions, I had the following strategy work flawlessly the first 2 times I tried it:

1. Before unpausing: guarantee Candar, mil focus, hire a mil advisor, hire a general from the nobility and pump nobility for mil points and merchants for cash, delete fort in Morea. Set all Ottoman provinces as provinces of interest, except for the Albanian provinces.

2. Improve Relations with Albania, sell your 2 barques and hire up to your army and navy forcelimits with infantry / galleys. While this is happening also improve relations to make a few throwaway allies ASAP (Wallachia is a good one) to reduce the chance of the Ottomans declaring on you.

3. If all goes well then the OE will declare on Albania as their first war; when this happens, ally Albania and accept their CtA. You'll hit mil tech 4 fairly quickly and with Venetian assistance and Skanderbeg the Ottomans are not too difficult to beat in a straight up fight. The AI will pass over occupation of almost all Balkan provinces to you; the aim here is to separate peace for Edirne and whatever else you can get, but don't take your other cores directly. Then when Albania wins their separate war they will force the Ottomans to return your other cores as part of the peace deal, essentially letting you get >150% warscore value of provinces and reparations from a single war.

This also works on hard but you need to restart until you get a dip rep advisor which is required to get a RM with Albania, without which they won't ally you even at max relations.

I tried this a couple of times and eventually succeeded. Didn't manage to do the separate peace trick, Venice found itself in a war with Bosnia and if I took a separate peace I could get Edirne and Sofya while my former allies would get wrecked. Waiting for Albania to offer a peace ended up with me gaining all my cores except Edirne back, which I found much more preferable. I also managed to get a dip rep advisor and rivalled Venice, which got me an alliance with Hungary. I had time to grow by eating Albania and Serbia and by the time I found myself fighting Ottomans again I had Hungary, Austria and Mamluks by my side.

Now it's 1570s, The Ottomans have finally been wiped out. Now I'm eyeing on my former allies and recent rivals, the Mamluks, who have grown strong with half of the Ottoman territory and hate me for "forgetting" their share of conquests.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hell yeah it can be like those anime power level webs

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

OperaMouse posted:

For QoL reasons, I still would like an ability to manually set a popup at a date in the future:
* Can use certain estate interactions again
* Truce between my ally and my rival is up
* Start integrating vassal 2, so it's not slowed down by the diplo rep penalty of vassal 1 integration.
Yes, please.

Randarkman posted:

At this point they should have stopped active development on CK2 and EU4 a long time ago and put those on the backburner, with a very small team just doing bugfix patching from now on, shift more people over to HoI4 and Stellaris, maybe eventually begin work on CK3 and EU5 (if they haven't already, I don't believe they have though). I get the feeling that actively supporting and developing 4 games at the same time is a bit too much for Paradox.
I hate to be a dick here but this is a completely idiotic thing to say unless you know exactly who is on Paradox's payroll, how said people on their payroll are being managed/directed, and their priorities. We have no idea how many staff they and even if we did we have no way of knowing how many people they have on different projects. I work for a software engineering company that got bought two years ago. We have put out more content for our customers in the past two years with fewer staff than we did the three years prior, all because the new owners reorganized the staff and structure plus made some improvements in other places.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Captain Mediocre posted:

Have tried and failed with this three times now. I think my problem is finding allies quickly enough, as the Ottomans always declare war on me first. I can grab Wallachia as an ally no problem, but can't get relations high enough with anybody else fast enough. Who else have people been allying with successfully?

If they declare on you first then you restart, there's basically no situation where being personally declared on in a defensive war vs. Ottomans is a good idea. You only make allies to make the Ottoman AI have less desire to declare on you first.

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I tried this a couple of times and eventually succeeded. Didn't manage to do the separate peace trick, Venice found itself in a war with Bosnia and if I took a separate peace I could get Edirne and Sofya while my former allies would get wrecked. Waiting for Albania to offer a peace ended up with me gaining all my cores except Edirne back, which I found much more preferable. I also managed to get a dip rep advisor and rivalled Venice, which got me an alliance with Hungary. I had time to grow by eating Albania and Serbia and by the time I found myself fighting Ottomans again I had Hungary, Austria and Mamluks by my side.

Now it's 1570s, The Ottomans have finally been wiped out. Now I'm eyeing on my former allies and recent rivals, the Mamluks, who have grown strong with half of the Ottoman territory and hate me for "forgetting" their share of conquests.

Venice getting into a separate war sounds like bad luck, the reason taking Edirne is such a big deal is that it means that the Ottomans have to retain naval dominance in order to be able to cross the straits, it's very unlucky for Albania to lose that war when they can regroup in the Balkans at any time but if Venice were being useless then that explains it.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 4, 2018

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fister Roboto posted:

hell yeah it can be like those anime power level webs
Paradox developers need to broaden their horizons, so they don't become reactionary in their game design. Anime sounds like a good idea, so long as it's not historically based.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Man the AI sure does like to run through uncolonized land instead of moving through my provinces. I definitely didn't take advantage of that to turn a probably lost war into a win as they soaked a bunch of extra losses from fighting native armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Like, I legit feel like the next move shouldn't be either CK3 or EUV but some kinda side project, like Rome 2 or Sengoku 2, where they could apply what they know and do well in a different way.

Like, I know it's passé comparing them to Creative Assembly but them going into Warhammer has been a literal game-changer for them, far more so than their Rome 2 and the trash around that. The levels of improvement there are just insane and I wonder if the same might happen with Paradox if they too became a bit unshackled from history.

Though, as Stellaris shows, it's a lot harder to do that with their model of games rather than the more straightforward war of TW