Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The SituAsian posted:

EDIT: And of course Keith Thurman is now hurt. Because why not

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/979863767046656000

Oh god damnit :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Will have a thread up in a minute, was a touch busier today than I expected.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Hurry up before David Price shocks the world

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's up

I had to do a quick one here, but enjoy

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm sure the next big boxing match won't be marred by something stupid, corrupt, inept or some unholy combination of the three. I've been saying that for decades now, and eventually I'm going to be right.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

One of Joshua or Wilder is going to do something stupid and get themselves KO'd against some shithouse and ruin that fight for good aren't they

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I'm sure the next big boxing match won't be marred by something stupid, corrupt, inept or some unholy combination of the three. I've been saying that for decades now, and eventually I'm going to be right.

There are pretty normal fights fairly often, but every loves to lose their poo poo whenever something dumb happens.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

There are pretty normal fights fairly often, but every loves to lose their poo poo whenever something dumb happens.

Yeah 2017 was jammed with great fights. Tonight was bad, but theres tons of good boxing to watch. It's just so offensive that the refs/judges/promoters can gently caress up something so badly on purpose.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Lionel Richie posted:

One of Joshua or Wilder is going to do something stupid and get themselves KO'd against some shithouse and ruin that fight for good aren't they

Despite how lacklustre Joshua looked against Parker (a talented, legit top 5 heavyweight), I can't see him losing to anyone who's not named Deontay Wilder or Tyson Fury (assuming Fury is in shape physically and mentally and has had a tune-up or two). He's too big and too good.

Wilder could easily lose to a few guys out there, however. I think a Dillian Whyte fight is pretty dangerous for him. One day he's not going to be able to bail himself out with one shot. Hopefully he gets to a Joshua fight before that happens.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Also can someone tell David Price he needs to retire already? Yeesh. Povetkin did not look amazing either, though. Joshua would take him out, but it sounds like they'll try to make a Povetkin/Whyte fight if Whyte can't secure Wilder.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Also can someone tell David Price he needs to retire already? Yeesh. Povetkin did not look amazing either, though. Joshua would take him out, but it sounds like they'll try to make a Povetkin/Whyte fight if Whyte can't secure Wilder.

I have to imagine the next fights for Joshua and Wilder are the winner of Jarrell Miller if he beats Johan Duhapas and Povetkin if he loses and then Dillian whyte respectively.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Pacquiao-Matthysse appears to have actually come through. Fight is supposed to be on PPV through ESPN. Freddie Roach has been replaced by Buboy Fernandez. That last sentence is not a joke.

https://twitter.com/OscarDeLaHoya/status/980954806251675648

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/23007073/manny-pacquiao-lucas-matthysse-fight-july-14-kuala-lumpur-malaysia

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Two past their best boxer/punchers and natural 140 pounders. Should be fun.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
yeah it's a great fight. irrelevant, but it will be good. i won't be paying money for it.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

a good fight 4 years ago, a decent undercard fight now

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Any details on roach leaving? Money? Doesn't want to see Manny fight anymore? His own health? I crave boxing gossip.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Canelo GGG is off. gently caress the world.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

Canelo GGG is off. gently caress the world.

On the other hand I'm surprised everybody involved actually had the gall to put some consequences to (possible) PED use.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Unfortunate but not surprising given how hard NSAC came out against Canelo.

Edit: honestly I'm kind of impressed that commission was actually willing to take things this far to the point where the fight is canceled.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Good that’s what they should do

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Agreed, roiding is deplorable against someone who isn't, in combat sports.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jack B Nimble posted:

Any details on roach leaving? Money? Doesn't want to see Manny fight anymore? His own health? I crave boxing gossip.

If we take the statement from the article at face value:

quote:

Asked about the reason Pacquiao decided to make a change -- without notifying Roach -- Koncz said, "There was some concerns Manny had in the last fight and some statements Freddie made to the media that Manny wasn't very pleased about."
It was Manny's call and not Roach's. If Freddie wanted to leave, I don't really think Manny's camp would fuss and make up a cover for that.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Roach probably told Manny to retire or at least think about it, and I guess Manny didn't take kindly to that. Roach did basically say flat-out in public that he thought Terence Crawford would beat him, I don't doubt he was even more honest behind the scenes.

But it's an easy call. Manny is 39 years old and has had 68 pro fights over a 23+ year career. He should have retired already, but apparently he's broke so he's going to be heading into Roy Jones, getting knocked out for cash, territory very soon.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

kimbo305 posted:

If we take the statement from the article at face value:

It was Manny's call and not Roach's. If Freddie wanted to leave, I don't really think Manny's camp would fuss and make up a cover for that.

Roach and Manny have seemed to be on pretty shaky ground after Pac "unretired" in mid 2016. By then he had been elected as a senator in the Philippines, which is a way more involved position than congressman which he had been since 2010, and it was pretty clear he was only a part time boxer and playing by his own rules in camp and Roach-like all good trainers-wasn't going to stand for it. He was also (as Cigar Aficonado noted) honest about Pacquiao having no chance against Crawford which no doubt got to Manny's ego a bit. This is, after all, someone who has been surrounded by yes men and hangers on for more than a decade.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 7, 2018

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Williams gallimore is turning out to be a pretty decent fight

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Refreshingly good reffing from Weeks too

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Weeks is one of the better refs in the business, so that's not too surprising. Aside from one notable fight last year, I'm not aware of any major controversies with him.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
That cut probably came from a headbutt but since Robert Byrd ruled that it was from a punch that is bad news for DeGale.

EDIT: Definitely from a headbutt, hopefully the ruling is changed.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Great fight, but yeah not a great punch call

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
drat just put it on. DeGale looks wrecked. Hope hes won some rounds

E: 95:94 nice

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Truax had the first half of the fight, but goddamn he ruined the last half with clinching, hasn't landed anything but rib taps

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Whoa DeGale won, nice

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Lotta blind judges tonight lol but good decision

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Lmao those fuckin boos

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Lara looked really sharp earlier but if he's trying to catch and shoot Hurd instead of box him that seems like a very bad idea.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I dunno, it doesn't look to me like Hurd is touching him much.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Hurd looks massive compared to Lara

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Dang lara goes down. R12

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

What a fight. Tonight totally made up for the flaming AJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

loving awesome fight.

Hurd looks like some kind of giant for 154