Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Darth Walrus posted:

One gripe I do have is that the 00 Diver looks too powerful for the underdog newbie suit it is. I feel that our protagonist’s first machine should be a little more basic and crappy.

I thought he was going to initially use the base 00 and build on that. It seemed to depict it as a kitbash, although the end result clearly uses unique parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I think it's pretty clear that the guiding philosphy of bf mecha design is "okay guys, we have existing model molds from a few years back, how can we make some minor adjustments to them so that they'll sell again."

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Monaghan posted:

I think it's pretty clear that the guiding philosphy of bf mecha design is "okay guys, we have existing model molds from a few years back, how can we make some minor adjustments to them so that they'll sell again."

this is gonna be a new mold

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

There was never a modern HG Altron, then?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've only seen the OP but there's an SD with a laser scarf piloted by someone with a ninja avatar, so that's great.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

There was never a modern HG Altron, then?

I think the Wing, Wing 0, and Leo are the only Wing suits to get modern HGs

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm sure there's gonna be some new molds, like there was with the build burning and such, but a ton of BF designs are re purposed old kits. I'm not complaining about that fact either. A huge part of the charm of the original BF was seeing the variants of the old designs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I enjoyed the hell out of BFD's first episode. It had characters enjoying Gunpla for its own sake, a protagonist with some degree of personality and self-motivation, some great-looking custom designs teased in the OP, and it actually wants to be fun.

Manatee Cannon posted:

is it 1000 people fighting master asia or 1 person fighting 1000 master asia's

First one, then the other :unsmigghh:.

Monaghan posted:

I'm sure there's gonna be some new molds, like there was with the build burning and such, but a ton of BF designs are re purposed old kits. I'm not complaining about that fact either. A huge part of the charm of the original BF was seeing the variants of the old designs.

Wasn't the Strike Gundam HGCE kit released about the same time as the Build Strike?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wasn't the Strike Gundam HGCE kit released about the same time as the Build Strike?
Yeah, the build strike hg was released in october 2013 and the hgce strike came out 4 months later.

Mg was the opposite, mg strike rm came first, than the build strike

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, though, I do like that the stereotypically campy, effeminate dude gets to be the cool, sympathetic mentor figure who the kids look up to. It’s nice when shonen actioners are less judgmental about this sort of stuff.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Darth Walrus posted:

Seriously, though, I do like that the stereotypically campy, effeminate dude gets to be the cool, sympathetic mentor figure who the kids look up to. It’s nice when shonen actioners are less judgmental about this sort of stuff.

And they established him as a Big Deal. Will be interesting if they explore the person behind the avatar too.

Since he seems to be a Mr Ral figure, maybe the blue Vargan suit with the whip tail is his? Also not ruling out him orchestrating the griefer run in as an early learning experience for the boys.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BizarroAzrael posted:

And they established him as a Big Deal. Will be interesting if they explore the person behind the avatar too.

I hope the twist is that in real life he looks like a gengoroh tagame character

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Manatee Cannon posted:

is it 1000 people fighting master asia or 1 person fighting 1000 master asia's

Does it matter? Either way, Master Asia wins. Most unfair challenge right there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I hope the twist is that in real life he looks like a gengoroh tagame character

Mr. Ral finally letting his flag fly. :patriot:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
For centuries the society of the black dragon sanctioned an ancient rite of combat known as the kumite. It has never been won by a westerner... until now!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Does it matter? Either way, Master Asia wins. Most unfair challenge right there.

of course it matters. would you turn your nose at the chance of seeing 1000 master asia's animated in this show?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yes, because it'd be like the "inverse ninja" thing and while 1 Master Asia would be a force to reckon with, 1,000 Master Asias would be boring chaff for some random nobody to cut down as a farming mission toward a slightly better gun or something.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
1000 Master Asias parachute out of a plane, onto an island...

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Mordja posted:

1000 Master Asias parachute out of a plane, onto an island...

And now I want PUBG, but in mobile suits. PUBG, but G Gundam's battle royale island stage.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Schubalts posted:

And now I want PUBG, but in mobile suits. PUBG, but G Gundam's battle royale island stage.

yes

I want this in the next Gundam Versus.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Are SD Gundams really overwhelmingly popular amongst girls? Like, I get that the Japanese girl stereotypically likes 'cute' things, but most of the main female characters in the Gundam Build franchise use SD Gundams or 'cute' versions of normal Gundams. I can't tell if this is based on actual market research or just a Japanese toy company barely bothering to sell outside their demographic.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I can only think of two, Fumina and the ninja girl in this one. On the other hand, no girls (or anyone) in the original Build Fighters used them and in Try there was Gyanko, Lady, Shia and several others who didn't and there's at least one girl in this using a Kapool/Ball thing too. I'd be more annoyed there are so many Bearguy variations, because I am sick to my stomach of loving Bearguys and so glad the girl in this is using a Kapool custom instead. As to just cute models, again, the original Build Fighters had Aila using a regular model custom built using non-cute aesthetics and Gyanko and Lady did the same in Try too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 3, 2018

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

tsob posted:

I can only think of two, Fumina and the ninja girl in this one. On the other hand, no girls (or anyone) in the original Build Fighters used them and in Try there was Gyanko, Lady, Shia and several others who didn't and there's at least one girl in this using a Kapool/Ball thing too. I'd be more annoyed there are so many Bearguy variations, because I am sick to my stomach of loving Bearguys and so glad the girl in this is using a Kapool custom instead. As to just cute models, again, the original Build Fighters had Aila using a regular model custom built using non-cute aesthetics and Gyanko and Lady did the same in Try too.

Yeah, I may have overstated things. I guess I'm counting the Kapool/Ball as a 'cute' thing which makes almost all of the protagonist girls in a 'cute' mech.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

Aila did use an SD at one point (in her team-up with Reiji in episode 16), but the custom machine she made for herself, the Miss Sazabi, was downright intimidating.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Powered GM Cardigan was too good for this sinful world.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hellioning posted:

Yeah, I may have overstated things. I guess I'm counting the Kapool/Ball as a 'cute' thing which makes almost all of the protagonist girls in a 'cute' mech.

Keep in mind this is the same anime that is marketing to young boy by making things cool, with very few straight builds that have no gimmicks, power ups or hidden features. And that they're mostly marketing to younger viewers in general, so marketing to younger girls follows along the same lines as the marketing other products use for that rough demographic. Which would be things like the various Precures and such, which do tend to focus on cuteness.

chumbler posted:

The Powered GM Cardigan was too good for this sinful world.

Honestly, I don't think it was. This may sound slightly weird given the above, but I think the GM Cardigan was just kind of bland. Sure, making stuff cool is a marketing ploy, but it's an effective one and I preferred the Winning Gundam to the GM Cardigan because at least the Winning had something more going on for it than just be a stock build with lots of bits stuck on. That works in the more serious, mainline entries but I don't think it works in something silly like the Build Fighters shows.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Maybe the protagonists suit will get an upgrade to a variant of the best 00 suit, Exia Repair.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Divers already looks a lot more fun than Try,which means I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

For centuries the society of the black dragon sanctioned an ancient rite of combat known as the kumite. It has never been won by a westerner... until now!

Sochie Heim don't shiv.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

hey

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Everyone be friends!!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
How can ones with souls bound by gravity... become friends?

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

i like the mentor guy in build divers.

sort of meh on the rest of it though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

How can ones with souls bound by gravity... become friends?

Maybe... by crashing a colony into people?

I think that sounds right.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

NotALizardman posted:

i like the mentor guy in build divers.

sort of meh on the rest of it though.

This is honestly my take after Ep 1, but I'm willing to give it some latitude because it's an introductory episode and the prologue was quite good.

It is nice that they seem to have remembered that these shows are supposed to be love letters to the franchise, at least.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

chiasaur11 posted:

Maybe... by crashing a colony into people?

I think that sounds right.

Oh, kinda like a balloon drop. Yeah that makes sense, we can even put some confetti in them before we send them down.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Patrick what are you doing here.

Where is Kati, you need her to keep your poo poo in check, even in gunpla fights.
Spoilers, she's an in-game plot important NPC, and her quest involves rescuing Patrick from a raid boss.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Kanos posted:

This is honestly my take after Ep 1, but I'm willing to give it some latitude because it's an introductory episode and the prologue was quite good.

It is nice that they seem to have remembered that these shows are supposed to be love letters to the franchise, at least.

agreedo.

i have to admit, the mc getting tricked into turning on pvp by a literal loving troll was pretty great. all i could think of was runescape and trying to trick people into the wilderness.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I forgot how ugly the 00 is without the jetpack upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Tae posted:

I forgot how ugly the 00 is without the jetpack upgrade.

It's not a balanced design at all. I get that in space that shouldn't really matter, but it's always felt like it would fall over if you just left it to it's own devices.