Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I got my first rolls of film processed today, been waiting on seeing these photos for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Anhingas!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Megabound posted:

I got my first rolls of film processed today, been waiting on seeing these photos for a long time.

I love these

Another good morning with my 7d2 + 400/5.6. I'm so glad I held on to this lens. It's almost too light weight- I definitely need to pay attention to holding the darn thing steady and I think in a weird way the 150-600 was easier to hold still because it had more inertia. But drat if it isn't sharp. Now I'm really debating whether I'm going to get the Tamron 150-600g2 right away, or whether I'll save up for a used 500/4 m1 and keep the 400/5.6 for my hiking wildlife lens.

Wildcat Junco-0948 on Flickr

Wildcat Female WEBL with lichen-0888 on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I love these

Another good morning with my 7d2 + 400/5.6. I'm so glad I held on to this lens. It's almost too light weight- I definitely need to pay attention to holding the darn thing steady and I think in a weird way the 150-600 was easier to hold still because it had more inertia. But drat if it isn't sharp. Now I'm really debating whether I'm going to get the Tamron 150-600g2 right away, or whether I'll save up for a used 500/4 m1 and keep the 400/5.6 for my hiking wildlife lens.

Wildcat Junco-0948 on Flickr

Wildcat Female WEBL with lichen-0888 on Flickr

I'm still thinking about getting the first gen Tamron 150-600. How'd you like your copy? I've heard here and there that it's a bit soft, especially at 600mm, but at my current skill level I likely have bigger things to worry about.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

I'm still thinking about getting the first gen Tamron 150-600. How'd you like your copy? I've heard here and there that it's a bit soft, especially at 600mm, but at my current skill level I likely have bigger things to worry about.

You can scroll back through my Flickr if you want to see more examples. I think the lens is a really good value, and the jump from 300mm to 600mm makes a lot of difference. For context, before it came out, I'm not sure there was anything anywhere near it in price/weight at 600mm or even 500mm. There were things in the >$1000 range that could get you just north of 400mm with decent results, but cheap solutions at 500/600 really weren't worth it. Maybe someone would disagree about one of the older sigma zooms but that's my recollection.

This lens is not very sharp wide open at 600mm. You have to shoot at ~f/8, which means you are often at ISO 1600/3200 to get the shutter speed up (not the end of the world). I think the IS is pretty great for such a big lens, but it's not a miracle worker. You can hand hold, even in fairly poor light, but the keeper rate is not amazing. Build quality seemed OK but I had the issue with the zoom lock switch, and I noticed it starting to collect dust inside even though I had a filter on (so presumably pulled in via the barrel. The AF is pretty good, and any deficit in performance could be due in large part to the body (6D). But between the weight and AF I was getting frustrated with birds in flight.I made the decision to sell in part because the Tamron g2 was supposed to be noticeably better IQ and build quality, and I figured I could fund a big portion of that by selling the old lens. I've got some L glass which I think has spoiled me.

If you've got the $6-700 now, and don't want to spend twice that for one of the other ones, and you understand the limitations of the lens, I think it's a fantastic value. If you can budget the ~1200 for the gen 2 and are willing to spend that for something marginally better than the gen 1, then maybe skip the gen1.

Does that help at all?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

You can scroll back through my Flickr if you want to see more examples. I think the lens is a really good value, and the jump from 300mm to 600mm makes a lot of difference. For context, before it came out, I'm not sure there was anything anywhere near it in price/weight at 600mm or even 500mm. There were things in the >$1000 range that could get you just north of 400mm with decent results, but cheap solutions at 500/600 really weren't worth it. Maybe someone would disagree about one of the older sigma zooms but that's my recollection.

This lens is not very sharp wide open at 600mm. You have to shoot at ~f/8, which means you are often at ISO 1600/3200 to get the shutter speed up (not the end of the world). I think the IS is pretty great for such a big lens, but it's not a miracle worker. You can hand hold, even in fairly poor light, but the keeper rate is not amazing. Build quality seemed OK but I had the issue with the zoom lock switch, and I noticed it starting to collect dust inside even though I had a filter on (so presumably pulled in via the barrel. The AF is pretty good, and any deficit in performance could be due in large part to the body (6D). But between the weight and AF I was getting frustrated with birds in flight.I made the decision to sell in part because the Tamron g2 was supposed to be noticeably better IQ and build quality, and I figured I could fund a big portion of that by selling the old lens. I've got some L glass which I think has spoiled me.

If you've got the $6-700 now, and don't want to spend twice that for one of the other ones, and you understand the limitations of the lens, I think it's a fantastic value. If you can budget the ~1200 for the gen 2 and are willing to spend that for something marginally better than the gen 1, then maybe skip the gen1.

Does that help at all?

This is all really good stuff to consider. Any yeah, the cost for a brand new copy is a major draw for me, in particular compared to the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary. What I might do is compare the Sigma 100-400 to the Tamron 150-600. If the former lens is sharper, then maybe I could get better results just cropping in post. Thanks!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Haven't heard much about that one, but if you don't need the ginormous lens then get the lighter/sharper one! Also you might occasionally notice the extra 50mm on the wide end when you are shooting landscapes or people.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
The pair of hawks I drive by periodically were active today.

Other Hawk by B. B., on Flickr

Cropped Flight by B. B., on Flickr

Flight of the Hawk by B. B., on Flickr

Flight of the Hawk2 by B. B., on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yea, Australasian Darter! I thought I put that in the post but it looks like I forgot.

e: here's another of the same guy, love the pose, just wish I'd thought more about the lighting.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 6, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Megabound posted:

Yea, Australasian Darter! I thought I put that in the post but it looks like I forgot.

Oh neat, I had no clue you were Australian and that wasn't a bog-standard anhinga. I'm from Florida so anhinga anhinga is pretty much a backyard bird.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

raw0002.jpg
by Brian Kennedy, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

this is pretty rad. well done.

Here's my cliche.
Wildcat WEBL closeup-1415 on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I've seen mourning doves all over the place around here since I was a kid, but I'd never noticed how interesting their markings actually were.

Mourning dove

Then there's this unfortunate(?) tailless cardinal. He seemed to be getting around fine though.

Tailless cardinal

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

Then there's this unfortunate(?) tailless cardinal. He seemed to be getting around fine though.

Tailless cardinal

He's either unlucky or a total badass who escaped from a cat.

Hard to believe from these photos, but these turnstones were so well camouflaged that I walked right past them, and didn't notice them until another sandpiper flew past me and landed nearby.

Ferry Point Ruddy Turnstone-1770 on Flickr

Ferry Point Black Turnstones-1714 on Flickr

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Picked up a Tamron 150-600 G2 the other day, weather finally cooperated enough to get out and try using it. Still have a lot to learn using a 600mm handheld, but got a few decent shots.

Living on a river, I see these guys every day. This one was repairing a nest, fascinating to watch it snap a branch and then go get some muddy grass. Resourceful creatures.

Have some Coot(ies)

Pied-billed grebe, otherwise known as a hell-diver or water witch. Cool nicknames.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Love the grebe, and nice capture with the osprey.

Yolo Bypass Bittern-1848 on Flickr

Yolo Bypass Bittern-1857 on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Stubby the Cardinal continues to show up at the feeders, and today he was back with a mate! :3:

Took delivery of my Tamron 159-600 on Thursday. Unfortunately the light outdoors has been utter rear end for the past few days, so I haven’t really been able to put the lens through its paces. Still been having a lot of fun with it though. That long focal range is a hoot, but it can also be a bit challenging, especially since I can’t really crank to a fast shutter speed given the poor lighting.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

President Beep posted:

Stubby the Cardinal continues to show up at the feeders, and today he was back with a mate! :3:

Took delivery of my Tamron 159-600 on Thursday. Unfortunately the light outdoors has been utter rear end for the past few days, so I haven’t really been able to put the lens through its paces. Still been having a lot of fun with it though. That long focal range is a hoot, but it can also be a bit challenging, especially since I can’t really crank to a fast shutter speed given the poor lighting.

That would be Stubby's son, not a mate. :) Female cardinals have black beaks, males have red, and it looks like Stubby Junior's juvenile brown feathers are beginning to turn red as he matures.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

President Beep posted:

I have the same lens on a d750 and I find it needs to be stopped down to f/8 minimum to have any sharpness, still it's nice to have that reach.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

That would be Stubby's son, not a mate. :) Female cardinals have black beaks, males have red.

I think it's a lady cardinal. I think only youngsters have black beaks.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

I have the same lens on a d750 and I find it needs to be stopped down to f/8 minimum to have any sharpness, still it's nice to have that reach.

I think there's a fair amount of sample-to-sample variation on these. Had one and it was quite sharp wide open. Was never a fan of the stabilization though, way "jumpier" than the Canon lenses. Haven't had a chance to try the gen 2 150-600 so may well have improved.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Was never a fan of the stabilization though, way "jumpier" than the Canon lenses. Haven't had a chance to try the gen 2 150-600 so may well have improved.

I’ve never had anything even close to this focal length in a Canon lens, so I can’t make a direct comparison, but that’s been my initial take as well having used some shorter first party glass with IS.

At first, hand-holding at 600mm, I thought maybe it wasn’t working, so I tried switching it off. Turns out it definitely was working.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

President Beep posted:

It’s just occurred to me: I purchased that lens as an Amazon open-box deal, and it does seem a bit soft to me, but I’ve been withholding judgment until shooting conditions improve. I wonder if someone bought it originally, realized it was a soft copy, and sent it back.

I think I’m gonna set up some indoor tests...

For anyone who gives a rip, I did some controlled indoor shots at 100mm intervals at ISO 100. Lens appears to be markedly soft from at least 300mm out. Sending back to Amazon. The good news, though, is that I found the Sigma Contemporary at Adorama for $800, including the dock. I’ve now got one on the way.

Thanks to everyone ITT for freely sharing their helpful thoughts and advice.

e: lol. Edit does not equal quote. jfc.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 16, 2018

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

President Beep posted:

It’s just occurred to me: I purchased that lens as an Amazon open-box deal, and it does seem a bit soft to me, but I’ve been withholding judgment until shooting conditions improve. I wonder if someone bought it originally, realized it was a soft copy, and sent it back.

I think I’m gonna set up some indoor tests...

It wasn't unusual at least a couple years back that people bought 2-3 of them and kept the best one.

Sigma seems to have a little more consistent QC in their 150-600 models.

Here's a 100% crop from my gen 1 Tamron 150-600. It rarely nailed focus this well though so 90% of images were just a little softer.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

President Beep posted:

Yeah I've noticed with mine it does need a certain light to get best results. Shutter speed does play a critical role and in crappy lighting you really do have to keep the shutter speed up at the cost of a higher ISO.

Here's a shot with the G2 on a D750 of a heron flying away from me in the middle of some rain earlier this morning. 600mm, f/6.3, 1/1250, ISO 1400 with mode 2 VC (the panning one) ..focused more on the back than the face but alas..

Here's one of a mockingbird with a bit better light. 600mm, f/6.3, 1/800, ISO 400.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 15, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I think it's a lady cardinal. I think only youngsters have black beaks.

I checked a guide, and you're right. I've had it wrong for years.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Finally managed to catch a photo of an immature bald eagle at the dam near where I live. Apparently there are five total, but I only saw two today. This one was the only one that cooperated to an extent but would not go into the better light for the life of me.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Finally managed to catch a photo of an immature bald eagle at the dam near where I live. Apparently there are five total, but I only saw two today. This one was the only one that cooperated to an extent but would not go into the better light for the life of me.

There's one about that age near me, at Evergreen Lake in Colorado, that's not where you are, I assume.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

torgeaux posted:

There's one about that age near me, at Evergreen Lake in Colorado, that's not where you are, I assume.

Negative, I'm in Huntsville, AL. We get a lot of them along the TN river, but they never seem to be around when I have a camera with me!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wildcat Ash-throated Flycatcher-2031 on Flickr

Wildcat Brown Creeper-2205 on Flickr

Wildcat Great-horned Owl-2152 on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
                             /
                           /

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Another owl from yesterday...

IMA loving MURDER YOU!!!!
Wildcat GHO murder face-1989 on Flickr

after my nap
Wildcat GHO sun worship-2016 on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
From Saturday:

Dark-eyed Junco by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Bohemian Waxwing by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Blue Jay by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

And from earlier today:

Mountain Bluebird by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

American Tree Sparrow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Northern Pintail by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Canvasbacks by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Another owl from yesterday...

IMA loving MURDER YOU!!!!
Wildcat GHO murder face-1989 on Flickr

after my nap
Wildcat GHO sun worship-2016 on Flickr

Man, I'd really like to find some owls around here. I certainly hear them at night but haven't had much luck tracking any down. That murderface is awesome.

Finally getting the hang of the ol' tamron 150-600 G2. I guess you could say me and the eagles near here are gettin kinda serious..

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It's been too long since I've been out shooting so I took the first half of the day off and went out for a little while in Discovery Park.

Wasn't out for very long, and I woke up late so missed the majority of the small bird activity, but still got a few I liked.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 20, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Returned the Tamron and got my Sigma. I like it a fair bit more, and using the usb dock is cool. Still finding it difficult to get a sharp shot at longer focal lengths. This picture of what I think is a starling is one of the better ones.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Looks like an American Robin, to me! Nice shot though.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Yeah, it's a robin

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Oh, yeah! Now that you mention it, I can see just a hint of its red underside. I’m so used to identifying them full on from the front that this didn’t even occur to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The orange beak is what gave it away for me. Still a cutie birb. :3