Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Film developing at home. I've done a few rolls, but regulating water temp is a bitch on my bathroom faucet. Any advice on making it not a horrible process of finding the right temp while not wasting a bunch of water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

ASSTASTIC posted:

Film developing at home. I've done a few rolls, but regulating water temp is a bitch on my bathroom faucet. Any advice on making it not a horrible process of finding the right temp while not wasting a bunch of water?

Not sure if it's a recommended tool to use, but you could possibly get a small immersion water heater, which might work for hitting temps faster. Sort of like those electric coffee pots, it just rapid heats with a small coil. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Electric-Immersion-Heater-Coffee/dp/B00US8YCQM/ I'm also curious to see what others do, as I just picked up a development kit so I'll have to figure out the same problem in my tiny apartment.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

ASSTASTIC posted:

I use a sous vide circulator to control the temps of a water bath for C41 chems, if you're doing B+W I suppose you could use one to get 20oC water too, but filling the tank is going to use much more water than adjusting up and down from the tap.

I fill about half of what I need, judging the temp by hand. Then add a little hot and a little cold in stages until I get what I'm looking for.

Edit: This is what I use, but I bought it when there was a big sale:

https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culina...anova+sous+vide

I really wish I got the wifi version, cuz it takes a while to get a tank of water up to C41 temps and it'd be nice to get an alarm on my phone when it's ready. As it stands now Bluetooth doesn't reach everywhere in my house.

Rot fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 27, 2018

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Twisted Joker Batman graphic tee is real as gently caress.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Rot posted:

I use a sous vide circulator to control the temps of a water bath for C41 chems, if you're doing B+W I suppose you could use one to get 20oC water too, but filling the tank is going to use much more water than adjusting up and down from the tap.
For B&W, I just keep my chems and some 5l bottles of distilled water in my kitchen. My apartment stays around 20-22° anyway, so room temperature is close enough and B&W is a bit more forgiving of minor temp differences than C41 is.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
n͢ơw i̷n liv̡ing ͘colo͢r

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

n͢ơw i̷n liv̡ing ͘colo͢r

Awesome.

Acros 100

raw0005.jpg
by Brian Kennedy, on Flickr

Portra 160

raw0002.jpg

Rot fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 5, 2018

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I've been offered my choice between a nikon F70 or F501, for the price of postage to get it to Brisbane, what one should I pick?

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 30, 2018

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

underage at the vape shop posted:

I've been offered my choice between a nikon F70 or F501, for the price of postage to get it to Brisbane, what one should I pick?

The F501. Neither of these are good cameras but the F70 had a real dumb control scheme. The F501 (N2020 in the US) has standard dials like a manual focus camera.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Ektar 100

untitled0006.jpg

Rot fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 5, 2018

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

There's a rumour going around that Fuji is going to discontinue Acros 100 this year. Not confirmed, but easy to believe.

I think Acros shot at 50 and developed in perceptol has produced the black and white negatives that I've liked the most. I normally use Delta 100 because it does better in XTOL, but always used Acros for 'special occasions' when it's worth the trouble to get maximum fine detail and tame the highlights a little more than Delta/XTOL does. So that sucks.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The rumor is that they have already ceased manufacturing on all their films (Except their instax line) and announce cancellations as their warehouse stock starts to dwindle.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Acros is probably the only Fuji I've ever used, and I didn't really care for it. I'm not too bummed by that news, but more concerned about what it means for the medium. How are Ilford and Kodak (Alaris) holding up?

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
I know Ilford had to get a new american distributor, and their prices went up slightly, so I'll pretend things are going okay because they're all I use. Except the price of bulk TriX went down a bit and it's only like $10+ more than HP5+

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

drat. No more provia and velvia (eventually)? That really sucks.

Once Fuji stops selling poo poo, that's it for slide film, eh? Agfa Precisa is about to be gone, too, right?

I guess that leaves Rollei CR200, but I don't know if its manufactured in Europe, or made by Fuji and resold as Rollei.

I was thinking about sealing up my 6x7 in an aquarium or one of those waterproof bags and using it for some (shallow) underwater photography. I want to shoot slides, and going underwater cuts down on available light, so it would be nice if Fuji still made Provia 400. I'd forgotten that there was still a reversal film faster than ISO100 until I remembered CR200.

But to the larger point, if all the current E-6 process films are going off the market, what're the odds that Kodak is really going to bring back Ektachrome?

If slide film goes extinct, that's the end of the technical apogee of color film photography. At some point, the ability to capture ultra-detailed large format images, with nearly-perfect modern lenses, on the finest color film (velvia 50) will be gone. It's kind of weird, but that really bums me out. Like, we live in the most technologically advanced society that has ever existed, but are about to lose what I think even today is still the most finely detailed, 'high resolution' means of image reproduction available outside of government spy satellites and the like. For individual artistic and documentary purposes, there's no replacing what we're going to lose.

I mean, lol nothing matters, it's the accelerating decline of late capitalist economies. But still.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Ilford and Foma will be the last surviving film manufacturers. If they ever shutter it's over for the the medium. Kodak will be gone the moment Hollywood is done using vision stock.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SMERSH Mouth posted:

If slide film goes extinct, that's the end of the technical apogee of color film photography. At some point, the ability to capture ultra-detailed large format images, with nearly-perfect modern lenses, on the finest color film (velvia 50) will be gone.

This is wrong as gently caress btw. Slide film is in no way the finest film tech, Portra 400 is the the absolute pinnacle of the medium.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Just got my first rolls of film processed and my X-570 is showing intermittent light bleed. Is this most likely the seals, or does the intermittent nature point to something deeper?

This is the worst, was tripod mounted:

This is more representitve:

And a lot of the shots are just fine:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

8th-snype posted:

This is wrong as gently caress btw. Slide film is in no way the finest film tech, Portra 400 is the the absolute pinnacle of the medium.

:yeah: I'd shed a tear over Velvia and definitely Provia, but if Portra dies, I would have to seriously consider if it's still worth shooting film for me. 95% of my film shot is Portra 400.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
I'm mostly bummed because I haven't really used a lot of fuji stock outside of Superia or c200.

I honestly shouldn't be surprised, I went looking for a minilab film processor again, and the thought occurred that while there are still Fuji chemicals available, I don't know how long they'll be in stock for. I have my own past as a drugstore photo lab manager to tell me that those chemicals don't really last long already.

my dream of working in an independent film lab are dashed again.

oh late stage capitalism, why did you leave us with only two sinking companies in the end?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Megabound posted:

Just got my first rolls of film processed and my X-570 is showing intermittent light bleed. Is this most likely the seals, or does the intermittent nature point to something deeper?

This is the worst, was tripod mounted:

This is more representitve:

And a lot of the shots are just fine:

If all of the worst shots were when the camera was tripod mounted or otherwise resting on something and the better ones were hand-held, it's likely to be the seals. You are probably squeezing the camera body slightly while you grip it and that's helping to cover up a faulty light seal. The other common culprit is the viewfinder, and the prism. It's possible there's a light leak around there that only shows when there is a strong light on the back of the camera and it's not blocked by your face. Try putting a piece of electrical tape across the viewfinder to blank it off and shoot a test roll somewhere - doesn't matter about focus or composition, you are only testing for light leaks.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

8th-snype posted:

I will fight you. Portra 400 is the best color film for probably 90-95% of shooting (and its latitude is better than anything else, really) but there's something really kind of magic about the color rendition of the better E6 stocks when you hit your exposure just right.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I love slide film more than the average person but when it comes down to it portra is the most advanced color film ever devised

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yeah I'm a slide film shooter but Portra 400 is really just amazing as a color film. But like Yond Cassius said, when you hit the right light, slide film is just pure magic, especially Velvia 50. Certain shots, like this and this, will really make me miss the film when it's gone.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Fuji Pro400H

raw0007-2.jpg

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

8th-snype posted:

It's just from reading this article a few years back ... D800 vs 6x7 Velvia

But yeah, I guess it's not just grain size. If you were comparing a full frame (or maybe even '645') digital image to a 4x5 or 8x10 photo made with an appropriately sharp lens, and the scene was at all contrasty, the color depth and tonal range of Portra would maybe add more to the... visual information contained in the image than the finer-grained velvia, because velvia wouldn't be able to retain as much information in the shadows and highlights.

But I don't know. I never get anything drum scanned so I can't evaluate it for myself for anything. In reality, I shoot fifteen to twenty rolls of Portra for every roll of Provia or Velvia. Portra's cheaper and I like the look better unless it's for straight traditional-style nature landscapes.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Welp, rumours confirmed:

https://petapixel.com/2018/04/06/fujifilm-officially-killing-off-acros-film/

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

n͢ơw i̷n liv̡ing ͘colo͢r

:yeah:

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

What... is that?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

What... is that?

looks like color photography with black and white film to me

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Vaporwave

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I keep looking at it and imaging it's some kind of insane film-colorizing software GUI.

Here're some regular HP5 scans. Each is only one frame, and only a single color filter (yellow) was used.

San Marcos by S M, on Flickr

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

I was going through a couple old cameras of mine and found some film in one that must never had been shot (didn't take to the spool and was still sitting with the lead out). I'm going to use it now but it's very much expired. I need to overexpose it to be safe right?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Yeah. The usual rule of thumb is an extra stop per decade expired. Develop normally.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Good ol' HP5+

raw0002.jpg

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Started a little project that might interest somebody.

I'm trying to solve two inconveniences:

1) Carrying around a pen and little notepad or using a notepad app on my phone to record exposure info was a slight pain in the rear end. More stuff to carry and fiddle with or apps that were kinda awkward to use quickly.

2) Once the images get scanned and imported into Lightroom, adding EXIF data was also a hassle. There's a plugin that handles the tagging but I couldn't find a way to do it quickly and efficiently - it boiled down to manual data entry and lots of mouse clicks, prone to typos and other errors.

To solve the first problem I created a quick little Android app that is basically a simplified notepad specifically for recording exposure data. You're given a list of exposures and tapping on a row will bring up a dialog box with an easy way to set shutter speed, aperture, and a short note. A picture explains this better:

Now I can take notes on a given frame in a roll of film, using one hand, and move on. You can also record film type, ISO, and dev (push/pull) instructions. More to come later.

Hitting the export button will dump everything into a JSON file and save that into a folder on my phone that's watched by Dropsync, which automatically syncs with a folder on my Dropbox.

My app works pretty well but needs some work: it's currently hardcoded for my Fuji only, which means fixed lens, only 8 exposures per roll, full stop shutter, half stop aperture, no way to handle multiple unfinished rolls (such as changing backs on my Bronica), etc, etc. All that will come in time.

As for hassle #2:

When I'm home and the film is developed and scanned, I go into my Dropbox folder and drag the JSON file to the same folder that the scanned images are stored. I wrote a quick and dirty Python script that reads the JSON and applies it to the TIFFs via ExifTool. Then I can import into Lightroom as normal and have the EXIF information ready.

It all works well enough to prove the concept, at least. Once I clean things up and get it fit for human consumption, I might post here and share it with anyone who thinks it might be handy.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rot posted:

Started a little project that might interest somebody.

I'm trying to solve two inconveniences:

1) Carrying around a pen and little notepad or using a notepad app on my phone to record exposure info was a slight pain in the rear end. More stuff to carry and fiddle with or apps that were kinda awkward to use quickly.

2) Once the images get scanned and imported into Lightroom, adding EXIF data was also a hassle. There's a plugin that handles the tagging but I couldn't find a way to do it quickly and efficiently - it boiled down to manual data entry and lots of mouse clicks, prone to typos and other errors.

To solve the first problem I created a quick little Android app that is basically a simplified notepad specifically for recording exposure data. You're given a list of exposures and tapping on a row will bring up a dialog box with an easy way to set shutter speed, aperture, and a short note. A picture explains this better:

Now I can take notes on a given frame in a roll of film, using one hand, and move on. You can also record film type, ISO, and dev (push/pull) instructions. More to come later.

Hitting the export button will dump everything into a JSON file and save that into a folder on my phone that's watched by Dropsync, which automatically syncs with a folder on my Dropbox.

My app works pretty well but needs some work: it's currently hardcoded for my Fuji only, which means fixed lens, only 8 exposures per roll, full stop shutter, half stop aperture, no way to handle multiple unfinished rolls (such as changing backs on my Bronica), etc, etc. All that will come in time.

As for hassle #2:

When I'm home and the film is developed and scanned, I go into my Dropbox folder and drag the JSON file to the same folder that the scanned images are stored. I wrote a quick and dirty Python script that reads the JSON and applies it to the TIFFs via ExifTool. Then I can import into Lightroom as normal and have the EXIF information ready.

It all works well enough to prove the concept, at least. Once I clean things up and get it fit for human consumption, I might post here and share it with anyone who thinks it might be handy.

Great idea and in your shoes I would contact film manufacturers and see if you can sell them the concept so they can put their brand on it and throw it up on digital marketplaces with built in ads or whatnot for revenue.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
You should give Exif Notes a try. It does everything you described and is actively maintained. Allows you to predefine your gear, record shot location using your device's GPS and address look up if you desire, lets you take a photo with your device to associate with that frame. Exports the Exif Tool's command line needed to add metadata to your images after scanning.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 10, 2018

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Is there a similar app like this for iOS? I've already got pocket light meter so this would be great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Sauer posted:

You should give Exif Notes a try. It does everything you described and is actively maintained. Allows you to predefine your gear, record shot location using your device's GPS and address look up if you desire, lets you take a photo with your device to associate with that frame. Exports the Exif Tool's command line needed to add metadata to your images after scanning.

Yeah I figured there must have been something like this out there already.

Thanks for the link - it'll give me some ideas on where to improve.

Hahaha yeah as I type this I'm checking that app out and it does pretty much exactly what I'm trying to do :v:

EDIT: Ok yeah Exif Notes (ironically, the original name of my app until I refactored) is superior to my app in almost every way. That's fine - it was only an excuse to do a little programming. However, it's still not quite as quick access to record frame information. Far better than using a notepad (paper or digital) though.

Rot fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 10, 2018