Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
if static typing is all-or-nothing, buddy i don't know what to tell you cause it ain't ever gonna be all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
still, seems reasonable to gripe about the lack of 1970s-era technology in a greenfield programming language designed by, and for use at, loving google

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

rjmccall posted:

if static typing is all-or-nothing, buddy i don't know what to tell you cause it ain't ever gonna be all

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rjmccall posted:

it’s more of a something or nothing proposition

golang offers a type system so deeply impoverished that the static type checker cannot possibly benefit the programmer

it accepts the null hypothesis

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

homercles posted:

Russ Cox's comments from 2009 epitomise the compromises made with various implementations of generics: do you want slow programmers, slow compilers and bloated binaries, or slow execution times? (they don't know and the Go language devs are very conservative in adding new features)

Where does conventional ML-style parametric polymorphism fall on this scale? I'm guessing "slow execution times" since polymorphic variables end up being heap-allocated unless the compiler does monomorphisation, but I'm not sure. (The term "generics" is also dumb. Where did it come from?)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it’s more of a something or nothing proposition

golang offers a type system so deeply impoverished that the static type checker cannot possibly benefit the programmer

it accepts the null hypothesis

it offers a simple and minimalist type system. for a language introduced in the 2010s, it is surprisingly seat-of-the-pants and not well thought out. it's arguably similar to c's type system, but with "void*" changed to "interface{}". but to say it "cannot possibly benefit the programmer" is wrong.

the brutalist minimalism of c's type system remains a strong argument. c++, java, and c# each tried to bolt on generics and they all failed in different ways. it's not an easy problem. rust has the advantage of already being loving ml, and it's still very awkward to work with.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbqh i think it is pretty wise to make maps a first-class thing either way. sure, provide a map interface and have the first-class ones implement it if you want, but have a first-class default one that gets easy-to-write literals, and have apis accept them explicitly in most cases

it is very much in the same vein as having a first class idea of an array or list, it is not meant to imply that no sequence should be done in any other way, but it is just too common a thing to have every occurrence potentially be some wacky implementation that may strain against the expected (and usually quite complex) contract at every turn

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

quote:

Rob Pike is like Henry Ford, except when people said “faster horses” he said “that is the best idea I’ve ever heard.”

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Suspicious Dish posted:

it's arguably similar to c's type system, but with "void*" changed to "interface{}".

i feel like this is giving it too much credit, at least void* has a single null value

https://golang.org/doc/faq#nil_error
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13476349/check-for-nil-and-nil-interface-in-go

also goes to rjmccall's "nullability can be a valid design decision" comment, if you make everything nullable then you give people tools to work with that like optional chaining

go is a mishmash of ideas you might have if you wrote c all your life, like "the only concurrency problem is not enough threads", and "maybe we could have a couple of typed structures as a compiler extension" and it turns out they're mostly bad ideas
except the one that people shouldn't have to care about async soup when writing code, that's a good idea. that, the single binaries and the latency-over-throughput gc focus carries it atm imo.

i expect rust is eating into the curlable cli tool case very quick, we'll see about the simple http daemons, the future stuff looks very complicated

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
look at these scrubs not writing their http daemons in erlang and or elixir

tbh python 3 suits my needs for like 99% of code it's really come along well. if the graal implementation ever gets done it's game over for a lot of these scrub tier langs

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Python's biggest drawback that I've seen is the inability to ship small, platform agnostic binaries. You are end up installing via pip, as a whl or source, and then hoping your transitive dependencies are sensical.

Hot take: I think the hard freeze on python 2.7 for 15 years was tremendously helpful for adoption. I kind of want them to cool it after python 3.6 for another decade just so I don't have to constantly worry about minor version backwards compat, leave that to the third parties

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
How are c#s generics a "failure"? I'm aware of edge cases, but calling them a failure seems a bit much. They're certainly better than nothing.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

tbqh i think it is pretty wise to make maps a first-class thing either way. sure, provide a map interface and have the first-class ones implement it if you want, but have a first-class default one that gets easy-to-write literals, and have apis accept them explicitly in most cases

it is very much in the same vein as having a first class idea of an array or list, it is not meant to imply that no sequence should be done in any other way, but it is just too common a thing to have every occurrence potentially be some wacky implementation that may strain against the expected (and usually quite complex) contract at every turn

Why not just have syntactic sugar for the map interface instead of loving up your API such that it only accepts one particular implementation of map? Just what kind of wacky implementations of map do you expect to crop up?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

the brutalist minimalism of c's type system remains a strong argument.

C's type system is actively unhelpful. it almost never catches errors in program logic, and it frequently trips you up on things you categorically do not care about

the C type system was a failed experiment -- bcpl had a much simpler type system that caught approximately the same classes of error with much less effort from the programmer

Suspicious Dish posted:

c++, java, and c# each tried to bolt on generics and they all failed in different ways. it's not an easy problem.

it is indeed a hard problem. c++, java, and c#'s designers made hard decisions about parameterized types. these decisions have tradeoffs and consequences. but they have to be made!

if you just throw your hands up and tell everyone to cast to void*, you undermine your type system so badly that it no longer serves a purpose

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

suffix posted:

i feel like this is giving it too much credit, at least void* has a single null value

https://golang.org/doc/faq#nil_error
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13476349/check-for-nil-and-nil-interface-in-go

also goes to rjmccall's "nullability can be a valid design decision" comment, if you make everything nullable then you give people tools to work with that like optional chaining

go is a mishmash of ideas you might have if you wrote c all your life, like "the only concurrency problem is not enough threads", and "maybe we could have a couple of typed structures as a compiler extension" and it turns out they're mostly bad ideas
except the one that people shouldn't have to care about async soup when writing code, that's a good idea. that, the single binaries and the latency-over-throughput gc focus carries it atm imo.

i expect rust is eating into the curlable cli tool case very quick, we'll see about the simple http daemons, the future stuff looks very complicated

this is a very good post

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i like javascript's type system

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

akadajet posted:

i like javascript's type system

you do strike me as the sort of person who likes huffing a big wet fart

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
sticking Flow's type system on top of js does make things at least somewhat bearable

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

or typescript

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

i wonder what it says about me that my favorite languages nowadays are types bolted on top of languages that don't support them

aka python3+mypy and typescript

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

i wonder what it says about me that my favorite languages nowadays are types bolted on top of languages that don't support them

aka python3+mypy and typescript

that you’ll be writing java inside of two years. :getin:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
what's better, flow or typescript?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

jony neuemonic posted:

that you’ll be writing java inside of two years. :getin:

ha!

i stopped writing java like 7 years ago once I moved away from Android dev

HappyHippo posted:

when it comes to syntax they're both fine, but the typescript community is way larger so there's a lot more info and tooling support for TS. plus I always get the feeling that microsoft puts a lot more developer work into TS then facebook does into flow

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HappyHippo posted:

both don't provide any real value besides making java people feel more comfortable with a dynamic type system.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

never used typescript

the one time i used flow i found the error messages totally useless. i had misspelled a property name and the error pointed me to the definition of the type, not the line where the misspelled call was being made

code:
// types.js whatever
type Box = {
    width: number,
    height: number
}

// someotherfile.js
box.widht
and the error was pointing me to types.js - widht not defined

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Plank Walker posted:

never used typescript

the one time i used flow i found the error messages totally useless. i had misspelled a property name and the error pointed me to the definition of the type, not the line where the misspelled call was being made

code:
// types.js whatever
type Box = {
    width: number,
    height: number
}

// someotherfile.js
box.widht
and the error was pointing me to types.js - widht not defined

oh yeah i forgot this most important part...TS generally has better errors than Flow, but from what I understand flow has gotten better then it used to be

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah i haven't actually used flow in the last three months or so so they've probably rewritten the entire thing from scratch a couple of times since then

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

If I had to pick a javascript bolt-on lang it'd be TS. Mostly because it has a lot more mindshare.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

everyone posted:

nullability
pls

just let me dereference 0

i put something important there

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the problem with embedded programmers is less that you want to do unusual things and more that you really hate the idea that you should bear any responsibility for doing it

a thing you could easily do as an embedded programming team: pay a compiler engineer for a month to give you an abi that makes the null pointer -1 or whatever

a thing you will actually do as an embedded programming team: bitch endlessly that it wasn’t already done for you for free and that nobody really understands your plight

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

rjmccall posted:

a thing you will actually do as a programmer: bitch endlessly

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

rjmccall posted:

the problem with embedded programmers is less that you want to do unusual things and more that you really hate the idea that you should bear any responsibility for doing it

a thing you could easily do as an embedded programming team: pay a compiler engineer for a month to give you an abi that makes the null pointer -1 or whatever

a thing you will actually do as an embedded programming team: bitch endlessly that it wasn’t already done for you for free and that nobody really understands your plight

i like this post because with some limited substitutions you can use it for any sort of programmers

(maybe even any sort of people!)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Fiedler posted:

Why not just have syntactic sugar for the map interface instead of loving up your API such that it only accepts one particular implementation of map? Just what kind of wacky implementations of map do you expect to crop up?

because if you accept varying implementations for maps you have to code defensively around the code you are running, as it will loosely conform to a complex contract instead of actually being a predictable map of things you need to operate on

it is a bad idea to abstract the idea of very basic stuff, try to fix the baseline data structures. if someone with a custom map really can't afford to convert their thing to a standard map for the call they are probably performance-conscious enough that they'll want to control the implementation more closely anyway

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

rjmccall posted:

did you just tell me to -ffreestanding myself

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

JawnV6 posted:

did you just tell me to -ffreestanding myself

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

C's type system is actively unhelpful. it almost never catches errors in program logic, and it frequently trips you up on things you categorically do not care about

the C type system was a failed experiment -- bcpl had a much simpler type system that caught approximately the same classes of error with much less effort from the programmer

are you saying you never had a useful typing error message out of a c compiler, ever? because yikes, you must have been using some pretty bad c compilers.

the issue is you're saying "the C type system is not expressive. by simply adding generics, the system becomes fully expressive". but you've never really said why just that one feature would get you away from interface{}.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
im a little disappointed that c11 didn't add the widely-used containerof() macro to stddef.h

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

the issue is you're saying "the C type system is not expressive. by simply adding generics, the system becomes fully expressive". but you've never really said why just that one feature would get you away from interface{}.

it's not that it becomes fully expressive, it's that it becomes minimally expressive

without generics or some other parameterized type, it is not possible to have a compiler-checked list type. I think being able to implement List<T> is a minimum bar for expressing program invariants in the type system. it's not the final word on the subject, it is just the very first step to making the type system useful instead of a burden

c fails.
golang fails.
bcpl fails.
c++, java, and c# all succeed.

why do you think this is?

how can we build a statically typed language with type-checked user-implemented containers without generics?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's not that it becomes fully expressive, it's that it becomes minimally expressive

without generics or some other parameterized type, it is not possible to have a compiler-checked list type. I think being able to implement List<T> is a minimum bar for expressing program invariants in the type system. it's not the final word on the subject, it is just the very first step to making the type system useful instead of a burden

c fails.
golang fails.
bcpl fails.
c++, java, and c# all succeed.

why do you think this is?

how can we build a statically typed language with type-checked user-implemented containers without generics?

I agree with nbsd on this point, it's not all or nothing. Java did the bare minimum with it's generics and it has some holes, but at least it's useful now compared to the all the casting bullshit prevalent before Java 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

because if you accept varying implementations for maps you have to code defensively around the code you are running, as it will loosely conform to a complex contract instead of actually being a predictable map of things you need to operate on

it is a bad idea to abstract the idea of very basic stuff, try to fix the baseline data structures. if someone with a custom map really can't afford to convert their thing to a standard map for the call they are probably performance-conscious enough that they'll want to control the implementation more closely anyway

Look at C#'s IDictionary. There are multiple good implementations of that interface. These aren't strange edge cases - - you're not going to spend any time worrying whether that IDictionary someone passed in is a SortedDictionary or a Dictionary, because they both satisfy the interface.