Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

JonBolds posted:

How do I actually kill these assholes? They're like 15-20 z-levels above the ground at all times. Do I train up a squad of marksdwarves and just pray they come within range one day?

Well see there's your problem. No reason to ever let the game simulate space more than 4 or 5 levels above ground. Nothing but trouble.

You could build a series of catwalks since dwarf constructions have infinite strength. A staircase going to within a few levels of the the 'top' of the map, and from there build out floors. You can even build a series of archery targets and bolt stockpiles up there, so marksdwarfs will hang out in the sky practicing. Archery targets around the perimeter, bolt stockpile at the top of the stairs. Melee would be dangerous since an ill placed dodge would hurt, but nothing that wants to fight can get up there without first fighting their way to the staircase. Just wounding a birdman should be enough to knock it out of the sky.

Then build a tavern or something up there, stave off cave adaptation. I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Haifisch posted:

Either that or Toady just makes them peace out to start a tower of their own. :v:

I might prefer this as a short term solution. It gives necromantic tomes(and anywhere that might house them) a serious risk factor, as your elite squad of steel clad raiders could end up as far worse foes than some skinny human that used to own the book.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Does anyone know if you put books in a display case, will they still get read?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Is it wrong to be way more interested in the pre-magic/myth arc candidates? I mean, come on, real armies, conquest and world map interaction, people really doing things, ect. It seems like it's more of a fundamental shift in the way the game is played.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I liked that interview.
I want some more quality of life upgrades to be honest

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

If we could just migrate all of this into the rimworld engine I'd play so much more

I've probably put at least a hundred hours into this game and I'd love to put in more but Jesus Christ is it a pain to get anything done

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

NewMars posted:

Is it wrong to be way more interested in the pre-magic/myth arc candidates? I mean, come on, real armies, conquest and world map interaction, people really doing things, ect. It seems like it's more of a fundamental shift in the way the game is played.

Not really. I want more stuff to do in Fortress mode, in the fortress. World map interaction is basically a black box, and I don't really care about black boxes.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Gotta think unity would look at DF and go "nope lol"

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Not really. I want more stuff to do in Fortress mode, in the fortress. World map interaction is basically a black box, and I don't really care about black boxes.

Yeah, the war and raiding and stuff I don't really care about, I want fun mechanics that I can see happen.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

kidkissinger posted:

If we could just migrate all of this into the rimworld engine I'd play so much more

I've probably put at least a hundred hours into this game and I'd love to put in more but Jesus Christ is it a pain to get anything done

I just Rimworld would just go 3d so that I could play it instead.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I like the 2d environment, having restricted space in that way is good for gameplay I think.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah... A lot of the new world stuff is fun and all but it is also a lot of fluff that doesn't fundamentally change how fortress mode plays. What's that, the sieges are generated from a specific location and travel across the map to get to me instead of being genned on the spot as needed? Cool, but so what?

It's framework for other stuff though.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I forget, how do you control the number of layers that are rendered above ground?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

So Math posted:

I forget, how do you control the number of layers that are rendered above ground?

It's in the advanced world settings, and I think there's a DFhack command that can edit it after the fact as well.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, considering the LNP is still on 44.05, what's the difference between that version and 44.09? Mostly bugfixes and the like, I hope? I'm really trying to look for reasons to not get sucked down the rabbit hole and play another fort here, but the urge is strong.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

neogeo0823 posted:

So, considering the LNP is still on 44.05, what's the difference between that version and 44.09? Mostly bugfixes and the like, I hope? I'm really trying to look for reasons to not get sucked down the rabbit hole and play another fort here, but the urge is strong.

44.06 added pillaging, chain cleaning jobs, and FPS increases. 44.08 makes dwarves actually want to visit museum zones. The rest fix some crashes and weird behaviour, and bugfixes to things broken in the previous updates.

DFHack has an alpha out now for 44.09.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Still on 44.07 but the DFHack alpha for that hasn't caused any issues. I don't do much special with it (really, 99% about the cursor being in the same spot I left it!) so I don't know if you run custom scripts or anything if it will go haywire.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I never used DFHack before my turn in the LP, but now I'm ruined from being able to filter pretty much any list screen. The civ screen desperately needs the same treatment, but I understand that taking longer.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So Math posted:

44.06 added pillaging, chain cleaning jobs, and FPS increases. 44.08 makes dwarves actually want to visit museum zones. The rest fix some crashes and weird behaviour, and bugfixes to things broken in the previous updates.

DFHack has an alpha out now for 44.09.

Hm, thankfully, that's enough to make me wanna wait till it gets to the current version.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I'm waiting for VR support to get back into it.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Would abandoning a fort of 80+ necromancers have any appreciable effect on the world in general?
I'd like to imagine they scatter and do their own necromancer things while time advances, but I suspect necromancers only settle down during worldgen.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

ILL Machina posted:

I'm waiting for VR support to get back into it.
I regularly scour youtube for ascii/roguelike/dos vr games, i think marrying the two is absurd and weirdly awesome.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
YouTube mini-documentary series On Doubt has a new video with the Adams brothers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtKmLciKO30

Bonus clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxhEhciTdAk

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 5, 2018

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

psst hey kids
https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.44.09-r1

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
More bonus footage from the On Doubt feature, via the newest devlog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mgUeJkALEE

:frog: posted:

For the next version, so far I've fixed a worldgen crash, changed the handling for the nemesis unit load error (it tries to patch the corrupted world now), allowed recentering on the item in "item inaccessible" announcements, added a worker status line in the view for workshops that have one worker assigned, and added the ability to give nicknames to all buildings, zones and stockpiles.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I started up a new fort for the first time in forever. Struggling to keep my head above water because I've had, like, 60 or 70 people come join my fort to "eradicate monsters". I have less than half that many dwarves. Most of them don't even go eradicating, they just stand around in the library all day. Even after I removed the activity zone. I tried to fill in the room with walls, but now they're all standing on the few remaining tiles and I can't seem to get the last 5 or 6 tiles built on. Is this par for the course these days?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I started up a new fort for the first time in forever. Struggling to keep my head above water because I've had, like, 60 or 70 people come join my fort to "eradicate monsters". I have less than half that many dwarves. Most of them don't even go eradicating, they just stand around in the library all day. Even after I removed the activity zone. I tried to fill in the room with walls, but now they're all standing on the few remaining tiles and I can't seem to get the last 5 or 6 tiles built on. Is this par for the course these days?

Did you grab the latest build? There was a serious problem with unrestricted visitors a few versions back. I ended up with a fortress that was 60 dwarves to over 200 guests, personally.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

quote:

nemesis unit load error

Whoa, that's the error that usually kills off my worlds if I keep them more than one fort!

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Monster fighters are useless food consumers 99% of the time and kill off random things in the caverns the other 1%. I only keep one on staff and that's just to play around with them, usually they get beat to death by troglodytes pretty quickly but they'll slow them down enough to get your squads down there to kill them if you don't have multiple layers of cage traps set up yet. I honestly don't know if they try to become citizens because I've never had one live that long.

Current fort rescued a random goblin and a goblin drunk (lol, I know this is some adventure mode definition but it is still hilarious!) The drunk puts in hard work hauling stuff while the random goblin can no longer help as he took on a squad of invading humans by himself and lost the ability to grasp things.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I just used the latest LNP, so probably not the most recent version. If you don't accept their petition to stay do they leave eventually? Do they still eat and drink poo poo in the meantime?

edit: Can I just slap the newest version of DF into the LNP folder or do I have to wait for everything to get updated?

Fenn the Fool! fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 7, 2018

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

They should leave immediately after being rejected, monster hunters were lowest on the meeting priority queue which means they'll hang around a while eating your stuff before they ask to join (that may have been among the fixes in the last two versions, but I haven't tried them yet)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm reading a book on new media theory and the authors argue for new forms of art that emphasize the procedural and technical (rather than the literary or visual, for example). For me that's what Dwarf Fortress is. Armok is an authentic vision of god as an uncaring random number generator lording over a world characterized by random violence, fuckups and the pleasure of repeatedly loving up.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Windows LNP Updated to 0.44.09-r01
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.msg7731197#msg7731197
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Alehkhs posted:

More bonus footage from the On Doubt feature, via the newest devlog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mgUeJkALEE

dang that's pretty nice

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm getting back into the game after several years of not playing it, and I have a question.

Can you use conditions to get work orders to interrupt themselves, or are conditions only checked when a work order is begun? Like, I want to make it so I have a certain number of prepared meals in my fort at all times, without going over that number. Could I set my kitchen on a work order like "prepare infinite lavish meals, restarts if completed, conditions checked daily, with the condition of 'amount of unrotten prepared meals available is at most x'" to accomplish that?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Pakled posted:

I'm getting back into the game after several years of not playing it, and I have a question.

Can you use conditions to get work orders to interrupt themselves, or are conditions only checked when a work order is begun? Like, I want to make it so I have a certain number of prepared meals in my fort at all times, without going over that number. Could I set my kitchen on a work order like "prepare infinite lavish meals, restarts if completed, conditions checked daily, with the condition of 'amount of unrotten prepared meals available is at most x'" to accomplish that?

The way I do that is "when less than (target number) is available, make (20% of target number)"

I just made what is apparently my first beach fort because I don't think I've ever seen the waves crashing ashore yet. Real nice.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pakled posted:

I think you need DFHack to do this, the vanilla conditions system is pretty useless.

e: well except for making orders wait for other orders before trying to activate, like when you're doing a whole production chain by order

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 8, 2018

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

I'm reading a book on new media theory and the authors argue for new forms of art that emphasize the procedural and technical (rather than the literary or visual, for example). For me that's what Dwarf Fortress is. Armok is an authentic vision of god as an uncaring random number generator lording over a world characterized by random violence, fuckups and the pleasure of repeatedly loving up.

DF had an exhibit in New York’s Museum of Modern Art for a bit.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think you need DFHack to do this, the vanilla conditions system is pretty useless.

I really am baffled at how complicated it is and yet at the same time so utterly useless for basic things like "when at 50 drinks make more until 200 drinks."

Oh well.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tars Tarkas posted:

Current fort rescued a random goblin and a goblin drunk (lol, I know this is some adventure mode definition but it is still hilarious!) The drunk puts in hard work hauling stuff while the random goblin can no longer help as he took on a squad of invading humans by himself and lost the ability to grasp things.

"Drunks" are non-dwarves that decide to try to be dwarves. They're "drunks" because that of course means giving up drinking anything that isn't booze. Dwarves are of course fine with drinking nothing but booze but non-dwarves are...well, less so.

So what you have on your hands there is a goblin that wants to be a dwarf. I'm sure you can see the humor in that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I wanted to see what my dwarves were singing about in the tavern when

so i assume they are singing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7u9hP4r1S8