Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

spankmeister posted:

lmfao just give up being vegetarian at that pount

Being vegetarian and picky won't make you a popular dinner guest, but neither will glib takes.

razorscooter posted:

Probably should have started with that. It's like a fifty fifty split, she's okay with some vegetables, like zucchini, yellow squash, canned tomatoes, eggplant, fresh spinach, fairly plain salads etc but other stuff, like fresh tomatoes, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, collard greens, brussel sprouts it's a hard no, will not eat them. Also, she's not doing low carb things so she's cool with lentils and grains and potatoes and whatnot.

First, it sounds like you're being very accommodating, and you've found many options that work. If you only rotated those dishes, I'm sure they'd be happy. That said, here are some thoughts:

Is cauliflower rice good for the low carb person? I've heard it's decent if you're already limited to low carb. Curry bowl served over rice for vegetarian with grilled protein and cauliflower rice can be flexible.

Tex Mex breakfast food seems good, since you can use the same filling, egg for your low carb person and tortillas for your vegetarian.

Zucchini and/or scallion and/or cabbage cakes are delicious and flexible. Use as a base/bread/wrap for other things or as a main dish with any number of spicy mayo or savory Asian sauces. Okonomiyaki is a favorite in our house.

Chicken salad, with half real wrapped in lettuce and half either fake chicken or tempeh or egg on bread.

Also, how have you been doing low carb pizza, quesadillas, and lasagna? I can see wraps with lettuce, and I've seen cauliflower pizza "crust", and eggplant or spaghetti squash instead of noodles but I haven't tried any of them. If you have something else that you're using I'd love to hear it, just as something in my back pocket.

e: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/roasted-eggplant-and-pickled-beet-sandwiches this is a favorite which can be done as a salad for your low-carb dude. Can be done with ricotta and lemon instead of feta and capers if your friends have an aversion to those ingredients. It's much different but still good.

Thinly sliced zucchini and parmesan with a little olive oil, lemon, and mint is a great side.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Also, how have you been doing low carb pizza, quesadillas, and lasagna? I can see wraps with lettuce, and I've seen cauliflower pizza "crust", and eggplant or spaghetti squash instead of noodles but I haven't tried any of them. If you have something else that you're using I'd love to hear it, just as something in my back pocket.

I'll keep some of these in mind, thanks.

Low carb relative eats a lot of mashed and riced cauliflower. Those zucchini noodles are alright, and she definitely likes spaghetti squash in place of regular pasta. We've basically been using shaved sheets of zucchini in place of regular lasagna, and it's a little more wet, but workable. Haven't found a great low carb pizza crust yet, tried that "fat head" one, some premade cauliflower crusts worked out okay, but nothing really good so far. For quesadillas and tacos and the like, she just buys tortillas with a low net carb count (total carbs minus grams of fiber).

razorscooter fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 1, 2018

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I picked up a 2.5 lb bone-in rib roast the other day only to realize that what the husband intended to cook was pressure cooker pot roast. I thought you should use a cheap cut like boneless chuck for that.

Would this work too? It’s about 2” thick, maybe a smidge more.

We haven’t had pot roast in years as the last time we tried, it came out inedible dry. So many years ago I couldn’t tell you what went wrong.

EVG fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 1, 2018

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

EVG posted:

I picked up a 2.5 lb bone-in rib roast the other day only to realize that what the husband intended to cook was pressure cooker pot roast. I thought you should use a cheap cut like boneless chuck for that.

We haven’t had pot roast in years as the last time we tried, it came out inedible dry. So many years ago I couldn’t tell you what went wrong.

I mean... it would work. But goddamn that's a waste of tender meat. A rib roast is best eaten medium rare. For your intent you want something tough and fatty and as you mentioned, chuck is perfect for that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

EVG posted:

Freeze the good stuff for later and grab some chuck, the chuck will actually work better because it has more connective tissue for gelatin and a stronger flavor overall, the gelatin will make it more succulent and help it to taste more moist.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
What you should do with the rib roast is reverse-sear
https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/12/step-by-step-food-lab-reverse-sear-prime-rib.html

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What kind of pepper is this?

Farmer's market here was selling a pail of them for a dollar and I'm getting the urge to make hot sauce again. It kind of looks like a serrano but it's too long, it's almost the size of a green bean.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Looks like a much longer Jwala chilli. These things are usually quite mini, about the size of my pinky finger.

Quick question: if I have meat that expires on the 6th (arbitrary date just for this question) and I bought it on the 3rd and kept it in the fridge, am I okay to freeze it on the 5th without anything bad happening? Sometimes, I'll buy meat with the intention of cooking it ASAP, but life gets in the way or I laze out and make something quicker and easier. I'll end up eating the meat closer to the expiration date in a simple recipe, instead of the actual recipe I wanted to use it in. Am I good to freeze after keeping it in the refrigerator close to it's expiration date?

I know meat is good for a few days after cooking, and I've managed just fine cooking meat on it's day of expiration and refrigerating a few days after without it turning funky.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I'm making pan seared duck breast today and I dont have any white wine for the pan sauce but I have some shaoxing cooking wine. I dont feel like going out so Im going to use that instead (in about half the amount) and reduce salt elsewhere in the recipe. The other stuff in the sauce is orange juice, orange zest, butter, chicken stock and pepper. Will the duck survive?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
It'll be delicious, that's a great sub. The butter is the only thing that doesn't usually go with shaoxing, but I think it'll work fine.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The oven broke while I was making a small rib roast, just 3 pounds. Some of the roast is done but other parts aren't. I'm inclined to finish it in the slow cooker. Would that work?

Fake edit: The shepherds pie I asked for help with wasn't needed, and wouldn't have been done in time anyways because of a timing issue.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Haverchuck posted:

I'm making pan seared duck breast today and I dont have any white wine for the pan sauce but I have some shaoxing cooking wine. I dont feel like going out so Im going to use that instead (in about half the amount) and reduce salt elsewhere in the recipe. The other stuff in the sauce is orange juice, orange zest, butter, chicken stock and pepper. Will the duck survive?

So, I started buying shaoxing by the gallon jug a few years ago and it became my primary cooking wine.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
can I get some advice or a recipe on how to make fish fingers?

I bought some cream dory portions/filet and some breadcrumbs, so my plan was to slice the portions into strips, add salt and pepper, dredge in egg, roll them in breadcrumbs, then fry em up.

Should I also use flour in the breading? Should I double bread? Will the fish handle being sliced?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm defrosting some chicken thighs right now. Any simple go to recopies you guys love? I'm willing to try some new things.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

obi_ant posted:

I'm defrosting some chicken thighs right now. Any simple go to recopies you guys love? I'm willing to try some new things.

A Belgian-style carbonnade with chicken or chicken cacciatore

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Chicken cheese

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

obi_ant posted:

Chicken pot pie is a go-to for me and thighs work far better than breast, the flavor is just so much better. I basically go with the recipe from the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. I do the stovetop part in a cast-iron dutch oven and bake in a casserole dish. I only bother to put crust over the top, not on the bottom/sides, so it's about 30 minutes prep & active cooking and 30 minutes baking. I'll type in the recipe I like later if you care, but honestly any recipe is probably good enough. Make sure it uses chicken broth and milk, I've seen pot pie recipes that use only water and that seems pretty fuckin sad.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Karaage!!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
chef jOhn's got a recipe for youuUU

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/234621/rusty-chicken-thighs/

grill these up they are excellent

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
OK now I have some duck fat but only about a quarter cup. I guess I'll just saute something in it

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

obi_ant posted:

Casu Marzu posted:

Chicken cheese

This is correct. This thread should have some great inspiration.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498320&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I’ve got a hunk of leg of lamb—cooked, but rare and bone-in—and I’m wondering if that’d be alright to freeze whole? Or would I be better off making a curry or cottage pie or something along those lines and freezing that?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pontius Pilate posted:

I’ve got a hunk of leg of lamb—cooked, but rare and bone-in—and I’m wondering if that’d be alright to freeze whole? Or would I be better off making a curry or cottage pie or something along those lines and freezing that?

I'd make curry, that freezes well.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Early I posted about making lemon curd with fruits other than lemon. I'm happy to say that strawberry curd worked. I used a standard lemon curd recipe, but I omitted the lemon zest and substituted pureed strawberries for the lemon juice.

It was a bit lumpy (pureed strawberries aren't as smooth as lemon juice) and lacked the sharp kick of lemon curd. But it had a great strawberry flavor with the custard/pudding texture of lemon curd. The only change I'd make is adding in the lemon zest to bring out more flavor.

I'm off to experiment with other fruits. Orange curd and lime curd should work great. I'll try passion fruit curd as soon as I can find fresh passion fruit in my town.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Bagheera posted:

Early I posted about making lemon curd with fruits other than lemon. I'm happy to say that strawberry curd worked. I used a standard lemon curd recipe, but I omitted the lemon zest and substituted pureed strawberries for the lemon juice.

It was a bit lumpy (pureed strawberries aren't as smooth as lemon juice) and lacked the sharp kick of lemon curd. But it had a great strawberry flavor with the custard/pudding texture of lemon curd. The only change I'd make is adding in the lemon zest to bring out more flavor.

I'm off to experiment with other fruits. Orange curd and lime curd should work great. I'll try passion fruit curd as soon as I can find fresh passion fruit in my town.

I'd recommend adding both the lemon zest and a tablespoon of lemon juice, it really brings out the flavor of other fruits. Obviously not really necessary with the lime curd, but you could try it with the others.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

For next time, if you want a smoother texture run whatever puree through a fine mesh strainer before adding.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I use a nut milk bag, since it's much finer than any sieve, and more reusable than cheese cloth

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I thought condoms are supposed to be impermeable.

:v:

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 3, 2018

Hauki
May 11, 2010

also you’re not supposed to reuse them :v:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Bagheera posted:

This is going to sound really weird, but try using lemon juice, zest, and some pith when you want a little extra brightness in baked goods. The pith is the uncommon part, but the slight bitterness really gives you a well rounded citrusy zip.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

This reminds me - I made the strawberry lemon curd that someone linked earlier, only I had fourteen lemons so I made a 5x batch (minus one stick of butter) which took absolutely ages to thicken, which is totally my own fault. Oh, and I strained the seeds out of the strawberries after pureeing them instead of after making the curd, which I definitely recommend. It was great - excellent flavor, with a sort of spring-y extra kick from this strawberry. I've been giving it away, putting it on cookies and in cake rolls, etc. I canned it and ended up with six jars worth.

Pix:

legendof fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 3, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hello The General Questions Thread Whose OP Is From 2011, I have done some perusing of the Wiki but I did not see it - is there a section on there for slowcooker recipes?

If not, or even if there is but you have one that is hosted somewhere else, if you have any slowcooker recipes that you recommend I would love to see them. Bonus points for recipes that include beans of some variety! Thank you!

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I'm making this black bean soup later this week! It's excellent, I make it probably every other month. I like to serve with cornbread and sour cream.

I also love making chicken taco filling in mine - chicken breasts, a packet of taco seasoning, chicken stock to cover, simmer on low all day, shred in the evening.

Also a favorite of mine is this stew, especially in the winter.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
I just had dental surgery and went be able to eat solid food for a while. I need some smooth or semi-smooth soup recipes. I have an immersion blender I've never used.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Big Centipede posted:

I just had dental surgery and went be able to eat solid food for a while. I need some smooth or semi-smooth soup recipes. I have an immersion blender I've never used.

This recipe is super-delicious, super-healthy, and can be pureed smooth (which is actually how I prefer it).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can make plenty of soups (although you might prefer cold stuff like applesauce), but imo galaxy-brain enlightenment comes when you blenderify whatever you'd normally eat. Puréed pork chops, why not

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Soupchat: I've got the back and wings leftover in my freezer from a chicken I cut up and fried about a month ago, and I was planning to make soup. I've got onion, celery, parsnip, garlic, carrots and a reasonable spice cupboard (plus a grocery store very close by). I also want to eat more beans generally, and I've got some dry black beans in the cupboard, too.

My thinking is:
- soak the beans overnight
- Toss everything in the slow-cooker with some chicken broth and enough water to cover everything, cook LOW for 8 hours
- Add salt to taste, enjoy.

What am I missing? Would you cook up some noodles separately and throw them in at the end? Something else?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ExecuDork posted:

Soupchat: I've got the back and wings leftover in my freezer from a chicken I cut up and fried about a month ago, and I was planning to make soup. I've got onion, celery, parsnip, garlic, carrots and a reasonable spice cupboard (plus a grocery store very close by). I also want to eat more beans generally, and I've got some dry black beans in the cupboard, too.

My thinking is:
- soak the beans overnight
- Toss everything in the slow-cooker with some chicken broth and enough water to cover everything, cook LOW for 8 hours
- Add salt to taste, enjoy.

What am I missing? Would you cook up some noodles separately and throw them in at the end? Something else?

chuck some ham or bacon in there

Dump it on a pile of rice or eat it with some bread?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Big Centipede posted:

Shorbat adas if you fancy something Indian, warming and really, really filling. A bowl of this hits the spot and will keep you going for a good few hours. Cooking it breaks it down to the point where it's entirely soft, but it still has a nice bite and texture to it.

I can't find the recipe I used to follow, but I'd change the linked recipe to only use 1 chicken stock cube, a whole onion (as opposed to half an onion), 4 garlic cloves (I usually go 6 cause I love garlic), 1 tsp cumin and 1/2 tsp turmeric. I also throw in birds eye chillies if I want it to have a bit of a kick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Big Centipede posted:

No recipe suggestions from me but when I had oral surgery I learned quickly the following:

1. Orange juice and tomatoes are way more acidic than you think
2. Warm food can burst clots even if you think it's not particularly hot
3. Chicken noodle soup + vast quantities of blood is a really unpleasant flavour.

I would advise going carefully with warm things until your mouth has had a few days to stabilise. Feel better soon!