Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Poe should have just ejected into space and restarted the entire mission once he lost the first Resistance Bomber and tried the entire mission over again.

Three bombers eat it, all nearly at the same time, for seemingly no reason at all, as Poe furiously throws his joystick at the wall and stabs ALT-E on his keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Vintersorg posted:

They'd be picked off by the surface lasers.

there's surface lasers in the trench!!! They made it easier to shoot at by flying in a straight line in a narrow confined space!! Also how come the missiles in the OT are all energy looking but the missiles in the PT & ST all look like actual missiles?!

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jerkface posted:

there's surface lasers in the trench!!! They made it easier to shoot at by flying in a straight line in a narrow confined space!!

Flying directly in would have exposed them to like 100 turrets at once. In the trench, they are exposed to one or possibly two turrets at once, which gives them an edge by allowing for more suspense and enjoyment for the movie watchers.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Jerkface posted:

there's surface lasers in the trench!!! They made it easier to shoot at by flying in a straight line in a narrow confined space!! Also how come the missiles in the OT are all energy looking but the missiles in the PT & ST all look like actual missiles?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS5XRsHh6vU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-1qas-CL14&t=60s

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

ptkfvk posted:

andy serkis

Cgi Tarkin as Leia.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

I see there's been a new petition up. This one is "cast Meryl Streep as Princess Leia".

I'm starting to wonder if these rumors, and petitions, are being put out there by Disney to judge reaction to the idea of recasting Leia, and are using the most awarded actress of all time so the responses aren't clouded by, "But she's a terrible actress!' opinions. Like, just see what the fans think of the concept of recasting at all.

:tinfoil:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

thrawn527 posted:

I'm starting to wonder if these rumors, and petitions, are being put out there by Disney to judge reaction to the idea of recasting Leia, and are using the most awarded actress of all time so the responses aren't clouded by, "But she's a terrible actress!' opinions. Like, just see what the fans think of the concept of recasting at all.

that's not tinfoil in the slightest. making a petition would take a half hour of an unpaid intern's time and these are billion dollar blockbusters

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

R. Guyovich posted:

that's not tinfoil in the slightest. making a petition would take a half hour of an unpaid intern's time and these are billion dollar blockbusters

The only problem is that the script (or at least a first version of it) is already completed, and they're going to start shooting pretty soon. So it's a little late to check if anyone is okay with recasting Leia if they plan to react to that response at all. They have likely already decided if they're using Leia or not.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

thrawn527 posted:

I've said it before, but I bet Disney is praying that Solo does well enough that they'll recast Luke and Leia and do films set post RotJ

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mark Hamill: still Alive.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Davros1 posted:

I've said it before, but I bet Disney is praying that Solo does well enough that they'll recast Luke and Leia and do films set post RotJ

Not that I want this, but Sebastian Shaw looks a lot like young Mark Hamil.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

thrawn527 posted:

I’ve said it a million times. Make Sigourney Weaver Leia and not a single nerd would complain.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Davros1 posted:

No, they won't. Young Han Solo, Young Leia even works, but recasting characters between films would wreck their properties.

Something with Vader between the Prequels and OT, maybe, but i doubt it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Lol, Simon Pegg is claiming there was a different plan for Rey's parents before Last Jedi.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/simon-pegg-claims-j-j-abrams-had-a-different-plan-for-1824640400
They should really have written all 3 of these before filming anything or at least had major plot points set.

A Vader movie set between 3 and 4 would be cool. He could hunt down Jedi. They could get really creative/fun and make it like a horror movie with Vader as the killer.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Spacebump posted:

Lol, Simon Pegg is claiming there was a different plan for Rey's parents before Last Jedi.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/simon-pegg-claims-j-j-abrams-had-a-different-plan-for-1824640400
They should really have written all 3 of these before filming anything or at least had major plot points set.

Abrams had to beg for an extension for TFA didn't he? Disney wasn't gonna wait around to start seeing returns on their investment while they wrote an entire trilogy. For his part, Abrams did a good job restarting the franchise with a pretty open ended setup.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Spacebump posted:

Why? There is nothing about Rey's parentage in TFA that is contradicted by The Last Jedi. Going "what could have been" is fine, but it's some serious turbonerd poo poo to say that the films should have been mapped out just because some folks didn't like the direction TLJ went in.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Will anyone be especially surprised if/when Abrams reveals that everybody was lying and Rey's parents were actually Original Trilogy Characters X and Y in Ep. IX?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Baronash posted:

Why? There is nothing about Rey's parentage in TFA that is contradicted by The Last Jedi. Going "what could have been" is fine, but it's some serious turbonerd poo poo to say that the films should have been mapped out just because some folks didn't like the direction TLJ went in.

this should surprise no one given TFA's visual language and/or script is all but screaming that She's Someone Important

Wheat Loaf posted:

Will anyone be especially surprised if/when Abrams reveals that everybody was lying and Rey's parents were actually Original Trilogy Characters X and Y in Ep. IX?

no. people are already on the 'Kylo was lying' train

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't Johnson have his first draft of TLJ done and submitted to Lucasfilm before the final draft of TFA or something like that?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rey definitely is Someone Important, while her parents are not.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Rey definitely is Someone Important, while her parents are not.

Which is a perfectly fine choice, but is also definitely not what TFA was going for. It’s a very, very weird film when you go back and watch it. Every other character is deeply interested in the identity of this girl, and there are multiple points where someone asks who the hell she is, and then there’s an immediate cutaway as if to tell the audience that we’re not allowed to know.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Zoran posted:

Which is a perfectly fine choice, but is also definitely not what TFA was going for. It’s a very, very weird film when you go back and watch it. Every other character is deeply interested in the identity of this girl, and there are multiple points where someone asks who the hell she is, and then there’s an immediate cutaway as if to tell the audience that we’re not allowed to know.

That only becomes weird when the sequels writer cant be assed to follow up on it, in place of being subversive

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Could have been a long game by snoke to get info out of that dude that had Luke's map. General Hux probably screwed the pooch by continuing pursuit of Poe or something. Anyway, TLJ--while having some good cinematics and story ideas--was a bad movie in the context of Star Wars Episodes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Zoran posted:

It works perfectly fine when you consider every character is assuming, like the audience does, that she must be someone important. When it turns out she’s a nobody who has inserted herself into this big story. The characters themselves don’t see how this is possible. They want to know who she is, because she MUST be someone. Turns out she’s not. That’s an awesome subversion of our’s, and the character’s, expectations. It only feels weird because we have the context that it probably wasn’t planned that way. When watching the movies themselves, it works perfectly fine, building up to the reveal with Kylo in TLJ.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Trump posted:

That only becomes weird when the sequels writer cant be assed to follow up on it, in place of being subversive

Counterpoint: in the first Star Wars, Luke kisses a princess who turns out to be his sister.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

thrawn527 posted:

It works perfectly fine when you consider every character is assuming, like the audience does, that she must be someone important. When it turns out she’s a nobody who has inserted herself into this big story. The characters themselves don’t see how this is possible. They want to know who she is, because she MUST be someone. Turns out she’s not. That’s an awesome subversion of our’s, and the character’s, expectations. It only feels weird because we have the context that it probably wasn’t planned that way. When watching the movies themselves, it works perfectly fine, building up to the reveal with Kylo in TLJ.
Its not subversive as much as misleading to the point of anti-climatic. She's a shaggy dog. She was always a nobody but the TFA tried to make her into something more. TLJ returns to her previous state.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

thrawn527 posted:

In TFA Rei has a flashback when she touches Luke's lightsaber that shows her parents leaving sandwiched between revelations about Luke and Kylo

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Hodgepodge posted:

Counterpoint: in the first Star Wars, Luke kisses a princess who turns out to be his sister.

when are characters gonna start fuckin?

i'm serious I want Rey doing Kylo in amazon position in Episode IX or X

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Also I really think the only way these sequel films are going to have a satisfying conclusion is if they go ahead and make it a quadrilogy. But that will never happen because Disney has its contracts and Daisy Ridley doesn't want to get typecast.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Having a plot point that you build up to and then drop with no payoff is not subversion; it's crap writing.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

TerminalRaptor posted:

Having a plot point that you build up to and then drop with no payoff is not subversion; it's crap writing.

Yeah. I actually like the idea of creating a vague sense that Rey was going to be related to someone with the small universe and then subverting it. But you would have to do it elegantly, letting the audience do the work so they could look back and say "oh wow it never did imply that, we were just assuming because that's how Star Wars is. plus there was that subtle forshadowing all along. what a good twist"

But that's not what we got. Also lol:

Joementum posted:

lol, i told you guys JJ was going to pull this poo poo

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/981653891132538880

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

*Grass sways around my feet as my willpower not to see ep IX grows stronger*

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

thrawn527 posted:

Subversion depends on two things: (1) the original context has to make sense and lead you to think a certain way, and (2) the reveal changes the context in a way that ultimately enriches what came before. You can go back to A New Hope with the knowledge that Darth Vader is actually Anakin, and the whole speech from Obi-Wan takes on a completely different meaning, yet it still makes sense as something someone in Obi-Wan's position would say. This works even though the decision to make Anakin and Vader the same character was made after the fact.

But go back and look at TFA. The characters who express a burning desire to identify this scavenger girl know somewhere between very little about her (in Han's case, talking with Maz) to absolutely nothing (with Kylo, when he first hears of her). There's nothing there to re-evaluate, no relationships to understand in a new way. The only things that TLJ actually subverts are the cinematic tricks to make the audience expect more information—the winking cutaways, mainly.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
subversion is more than expectations, its a turn on concepts. having rei played up to be important and revealing she is regular is depended on the meaning of normalcy in the film. if rei was to not have any force powers, that would be subversive because star wars focuses on force users. but tfa paints rei as significant and connected to the other characters but then says, its just the force and nothing else. she's nothing if not significant to the other characters in some way. that's why her lack of characterization strikes doubly true because her mystique in tfa amounts to nothing in tlj.

rei is a blank slate that gets swept up into the resistance. there's nothing worth criticizing about it but there is also little to praise. i think that's why it was so easy to call her a mary sue. but there isn't much to her character to even call her that. i don't know how you subvert a void without making it more meaningful. but that's not what tlj did.

temple fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 5, 2018

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
It doesn't amount to nothing. Starting a new movement by leaving the old one behind was the entire theme of the second film. The last shot was an anonymous, nameless slave boy peering up into the skies dreaming of rebellion. Redoing the exact same dynastic theme as the first trilogy would have been far more meaningless than what we got in TLJ.

That said the B plot sucked.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The most interesting part of her character is that when a dark power manifests her fears and fantasies, she's unable to imagine anything but herself.

She's that big of a dullard.

Amethyst posted:

It doesn't amount to nothing. Starting a new movement by leaving the old one behind was the entire theme of the second film. The last shot was an anonymous, nameless slave boy peering up into the skies dreaming of rebellion. Redoing the exact same dynastic theme as the first trilogy would have been far more meaningless than what we got in TLJ.

A Harry Potter fantasy isn't much of an improvement.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

The original trilogy has far more in common with Harry Potter. Orphan discovers he's a noble, gains strength from it.

TLJ is Orphan Discovers she's just an orphan, and needs to find strength by herself within that identity.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Amethyst posted:

The original trilogy has far more in common with Harry Potter. Orphan discovers he's a noble, gains strength from it.

TLJ is Orphan Discovers she's just an orphan, and needs to find strength by herself within that identity.

You seem to be rather confused. TFA and TLJ are about a down-on-her-luck middle class woman finding out that she's a psychic mutant, and starting a cult/school around herself that will gather up the galaxy's dissatisfied mutant kids.

There's even a Mirror of Erised scene, but instead of showing her parents it shows her herself. What you have to remember is that it's the Dark Side that's telling her that she's what matters, not who she is or where she comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You seem to be rather confused. TFA and TLJ are about a down-on-her-luck middle class woman finding out that she's a psychic mutant, and starting a cult/school around herself that will gather up the galaxy's dissatisfied mutant kids.

There's even a Mirror of Erised scene, but instead of showing her parents it shows her herself. What you have to remember is that it's the Dark Side that's telling her that she's what matters, not who she is or where she comes from.

That's a stretch and this conversation is stupid. Bye.

• Locked thread