Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

David D. Davidson posted:

EDIT: Also just in case, so what would people say if Marvel announced that Nic Cage was going to play Beta Ray Bill in Thor 4?

I dunno if the MCU has someone I would point to as a bad casting decision so far, so whatever. I trust them.

Samuringa posted:

If I get a sixer it's on you

Come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Beta Ray Bill would be all CG, and Keith David would be his voice.

If you were to cast Nic Cage in a Marvel role, he'd be Norman Osborn Morbius.

Edit: Hey here's a Deadpool thing. gently caress Cancer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKpvjqDsTcU

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 4, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SonicRulez posted:

I dunno if the MCU has someone I would point to as a bad casting decision so far, so whatever. I trust them.
If you include TV (and it's fair enough if you don't) then Finn Jones is the obvious pick for a bad casting choice.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I've never been a fan of Superman being portrayed as a Christ-like figure, it just feels so tasteless. Even more so when it's crammed in a movie where the climax involves punching a giant cave troll.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If you include TV (and it's fair enough if you don't) then Finn Jones is the obvious pick for a bad casting choice.

He's not bad, he just had bad material to work with.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Jamesman posted:

He's not bad, he just had bad material to work with.

And not a lot of training time which is why his martial arts all look like he's doing tai chi in the park. He's apparently pretty committed to training like the entire time between seasons 1 and 2 to fix that poo poo. Of course no amount of martial arts can fix Iron Fist unless they take it away from Scott Buck.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

theironjef posted:

And not a lot of training time which is why his martial arts all look like he's doing tai chi in the park. He's apparently pretty committed to training like the entire time between seasons 1 and 2 to fix that poo poo. Of course no amount of martial arts can fix Iron Fist unless they take it away from Scott Buck.

I thought they did boot Buck?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jamesman posted:

If you were to cast Nic Cage in a Marvel role, he'd be Norman Osborn Morbius.

Here's his audition tape.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Aphrodite posted:

Snyder said the reason Batman makes a spear instead of something more modern (like a bullet) is 'cause Jesus.

Okay yeah, I mean that's the obvious allegory.
Buy I thought it was because the film that young Bruce watched before his parents were killed was the 1981 Excalibur.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Question IRL posted:

Okay yeah, I mean that's the obvious allegory.
Buy I thought it was because the film that young Bruce watched before his parents were killed was the 1981 Excalibur.

Just think - in 10 years the movie he'll be leaving with his parents will probably have been The Passion of the Christ.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Back in the early 2010's, the joke was Bruce had gone to see the Antonio Bandaras Zorro film when his parents were killed.
In a few years it will have been a screening of Iron-man that the Wayne's went to see.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Cumberbatch.

Also every CGI or makeup villain, but because they’re wasting good actors.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I warmed to Cumberbatch. Mark Ruffalo? Fire the fucker into space and give me Norton back you underhanded pieces of poo poo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ed Norton is a whiny impossible to work with douchebag.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ruffalo is an amazing Banner you're crazy

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Ruffalo is an okay actor and a mediocre Banner, but the contrast between their performances is night and day

Aphrodite posted:

pretend I posted a :jerkbag: so big it broke the tables. also lol

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arist posted:

Ruffalo is an amazing Banner you're crazy
This, I think he fits the role better than Norton

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Aphrodite posted:

In what capacity have you worked with Mr. Norton?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Deserved or not (I have no clue), Norton absolutely has a reputation for being difficult to work with.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Cumberbatch.

Cumberbatch would have been fine with his native accent.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You know, the whole Superman as Christ thing that Snyder and other writers are big on always felt kind of... appropriative to me, given he was a creation of two Jewish writers as a response to the idea of a racist ubermensch and the fact his backstory has more in common with Moses than the Messiah.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nodosaur posted:

You know, the whole Superman as Christ thing that Snyder and other writers are big on always felt kind of... appropriative to me, given he was a creation of two Jewish writers as a response to the idea of a racist ubermensch and the fact his backstory has more in common with Moses than the Messiah.
It’s not that hard to read the character as a Jesus-like savior. It’s at least one interpretation of the character that has stuck around even if it was not the original intent.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's not that it's hard, it's just it feels kind of messed up to do it given his conceptual origins.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Samuringa posted:

Yes, but this is Snyder grabbing the metaphor and beating our faces with it, like a brick, and asking if we get it.

I have found that a brick to the face is preferable to being subtle if you want your viewers to "get" it and to reinforce your ideas as to avoid weird or clearly not intended interpretations of your work.

For instance interpretations like "sucker punch is sexist because it sexualizes the female leads" or "black panther celebrated heroic CIA agent tthat conspires with illegitimate ruler to stage a coup, start a civil war and murders black pilots aiding liberation of opressed black people" are presumably not the intent of the authors, and the movies might have benefited from some reinforcement of their ideas

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wrong thread

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

McCloud posted:

I have found that a brick to the face is preferable to being subtle if you want your viewers to "get" it and to reinforce your ideas as to avoid weird or clearly not intended interpretations of your work.

For instance interpretations like "sucker punch is sexist because it sexualizes the female leads" or "black panther celebrated heroic CIA agent tthat conspires with illegitimate ruler to stage a coup, start a civil war and murders black pilots aiding liberation of opressed black people" are presumably not the intent of the authors, and the movies might have benefited from some reinforcement of their ideas
No one has ever accused Snyder of being subtle.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Arist posted:

Wrong thread

This is the comic book movie thread, in the comic book forum. You'll find that this is exactly the correct thread

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Cumberbatch would have been fine with his native accent.

I wonder whose idea it was that he should be doing his Harrison Ford impression when Cumberbatch's voice is one of the big parts of his brand.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

McCloud posted:

This is the comic book movie thread, in the comic book forum. You'll find that this is exactly the correct thread

That post was not in reference to you, my dude

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSG-6xc-T4U

What does this mean? What is Snyder trying to say here? :iiam:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chill Penguin posted:

In what capacity have you worked with Mr. Norton?

I asked him a couple of questions once.

Otherwise, I know several people who have. They film lots of movies here.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Arist posted:

That post was not in reference to you, my dude

Cool, my bad.

Endless Mike posted:

No, they do however jump to conclusions such as "his superman is an objectivist that doesn't care about people". The point is that if you don't constantly reinforce your themes and ideas, audience will interpret your work in ways you don't intend or mean to, and sometimes you need to be as subtle as a drat brick to the face to get your point across.

Nodosaur posted:

It's not that it's hard, it's just it feels kind of messed up to do it given his conceptual origins.

White people do this all the time. Wonder Womans myth was given a very christian makeover in her movie, Disney's Hercules had a very sanitized remake to make it more palatable to western audiences etc etc. They relate more to the Jesus character than anyone else and after some 75 years of stories its safe to say he's equal parts moses and jesus at this point.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

McCloud posted:

No, they do however jump to conclusions such as "his superman is an objectivist that doesn't care about people". The point is that if you don't constantly reinforce your themes and ideas, audience will interpret your work in ways you don't intend or mean to, and sometimes you need to be as subtle as a drat brick to the face to get your point across.
PROTIP: A writer/director/artist/musician could make the last five minutes of their work describing in explicit detail the themes and meanings of the movie and people would still do this.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Samuringa posted:

Yes, but this is Snyder grabbing the metaphor and beating our faces with it, like a brick, and asking if we get it.

Wait so is Snyder saying that Bruce Wayne thought Superman was like Jesus, because I kinda don't think that was his opinion.

EDIT: Or is Snyder saying that having the spear produces the dramatic irony of Batman not realising Superman is like Jesus, because just like Jesus, a man well remembered for being killed by a spear, Superman is fought with a spear, not killed by it, then uses the spear to stab a bad guy.

Or is Snyder saying Doomsday is like Jesus

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 4, 2018

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

"Christian legend has it that Longinus was a blind Roman centurion who thrust the spear into Christ’s side at the crucifixion. Some of Jesus’s blood fell upon his eyes and he was healed. Upon this miracle Longinus believed in Jesus.[10]"

Batman was blinded, hurt Superman, realized the error of his way and became a believer of Superman.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you're getting blood in your eyes that's terrible spear form.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

why the gently caress would they give a spear to a blind guy

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

HEY BLIND GUY

take this huge weapon and stab the guy you can't see over there

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a little-known fact that this is the origin of the pinata.

Instead of gaining your eyesight, you get delicious candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Fartbox posted:

why the gently caress would they give a spear to a blind guy

In the original version of the story, he was just a nameless guy that stabbed Jesus when he was already dead, to make sure. In later versions he was a named guy who stabbed Jesus and was *cursed with blindness* as a result. 12 century sources invented the version where Longinus was healed from blindness, *and you can too, if you purchase the use of the Holy Sponge*...

Stabbing crucification victims was an act of mercy, btw.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 4, 2018

• Locked thread