Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DELETE CASCADE posted:

people in the bay area desperately want the self driving car myth to come true because they know they have 35 working years left and their 2.5 hour each way commute from tracy to their $65k/yr account representative job is slowly grinding away their sanity with no prospects for improvement in quality of life aside from prayer to deus ex machina at the temple of pallas musk

they could let loving trains be built

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
35 working years

tech
pick one

e: (they're building the trains

the trains cost 20x what trains everywhere else does because nimby)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cis autodrag posted:

they could let loving trains be built

that would just make the drive take longer!

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
infrastructure in the bay is not going to get any better until the old folks who occupy the million-dollar starter homes die off and their inheriting children start to demand more than the best the 1960s has to offer

change is certainly not gonna come from renters who can't afford to stay in the same community long enough to attend the city council planning meetings 5 years before the fact. it's all nimby all the time, or "residentialism" hope you like that buzzword because you'll be hearing lots of it in this "gently caress you got mine" culture we have here

DELETE CASCADE fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 4, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We are no closer to mass deployments than we were in 2012 when the technofetishists were saying we were five years from commercial availability. That's how long I've been following this stupid poo poo.

The self-driving car mania is a perfect example of the way people will happily stick their head in the dirt and believe what they want despite there being ample evidence for skepticism.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

a friend was there, as in was literally right there and had to run from the shooting

she’s OK (just saw her) but holy poo poo this hits home

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

so they've "invented" private government/taxes/bonds

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

DELETE CASCADE posted:

infrastructure in the bay is not going to get any better until the old folks who occupy the million-dollar starter homes die off and their inheriting children start to demand more than the best the 1960s has to offer

change is certainly not gonna come from renters who can't afford to stay in the same community long enough to attend the city council planning meetings 5 years before the fact. it's all nimby all the time, or "residentialism" hope you like that buzzword because you'll be hearing lots of it in this "gently caress you got mine" culture we have here

The millennials that inherit those homes will be exactly as 'gently caress you, got mine' as their parents/grandparents.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Peachfart posted:

The millennials that inherit those homes will be exactly as 'gently caress you, got mine' as their parents/grandparents.

considerably moreso, i'd wager

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah imagine how a generation that paid out the rear end for a crappy/mediocre home, if they were even privileged enough to have the opportunity, is going to feel about housing stocks and property values

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

in 30 years when the grandkids inherit them, those home will be 90 years old and "historic" and will never be torn down no matter how hard you try

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
imagine how many of them will be absentee landlords

not that there aren't a lot already; how much of SF rental property is owned by people in Marin?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

eschaton posted:

a friend was there, as in was literally right there and had to run from the shooting

she’s OK (just saw her) but holy poo poo this hits home

joking aside, that must’ve been absolutely terrifying

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://www.independent.ie/world-ne...n-36773197.html

the shooter was a vegan blogger from San Diego who wrote diatribes on her website about how YouTube was censoring her videos

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

the shooter was a vegan blogger from San Diego who wrote diatribes on her website about how YouTube was censoring her videos

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5wbp3e

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Luigi Thirty posted:

what the gently caress lmao

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

From the local subreddit's comments on a fatal car accident, note the scores:

These people really are convinced that this poo poo exists and works and that it's just the government or whatever keeping it from wide use. Incredibly delusional.

facts and reality don't matter, all that counts are beliefs

this kind of thinking scares the poo poo out of me and I have no idea how you combat it

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DELETE CASCADE posted:

people in the bay area desperately want the self driving car myth to come true because they know they have 35 working years left and their 2.5 hour each way commute from tracy to their $65k/yr account representative job is slowly grinding away their sanity with no prospects for improvement in quality of life aside from prayer to deus ex machina at the temple of pallas musk

i didn't think there were that many fifty-somethings commuting in the bay area

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

SO DEMANDING posted:

facts and reality don't matter, all that counts are beliefs

this kind of thinking scares the poo poo out of me and I have no idea how you combat it

it’s reddit that person is probably a dumbass highschooler guy

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah looks like the cops lied, there's a whole thing people discovered about them systematically demonetizing her videos and she just had enough

They were a whole bunch of rants online but her facebook and instagram and yt were taken down instantly

https://twitter.com/LauraLoomer/status/981375636408238084

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 4, 2018

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Bhodi posted:

Yeah looks like the cops lied, there's a whole thing people discovered about them systematically demonetizing her videos and she just had enough

https://twitter.com/LauraLoomer/status/981375636408238084

the cops...lied? unpossible

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
noted trustworthy citizen-journalist laura loomer is super tech bubble because she’s been publicly banned from uber and lyft for turbo racism

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Was she? Lmao i just picked a random one off my feed no idea who she is

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i don't think the cops intentionally lied, i just think they automatically assume that any time a woman does anything ever it's because of her irrational woman brain responding to a man

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

HP dont sign :redass:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

ate all the Oreos posted:

i don't think the cops intentionally lied, i just think they automatically assume that any time a woman does anything ever it's because of her irrational woman brain responding to a man

what is this, your first hour in this country or something?

this is a country where this happens

https://www.theroot.com/baltimore-cops-kept-toy-guns-to-plant-just-in-case-they-1822546984

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

reminds me of that one old goon in gbs who used to be a cop in chicago or someplace and talked about carrying a drop knife

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

what is this, your first hour in this country or something?

this is a country where this happens

https://www.theroot.com/baltimore-cops-kept-toy-guns-to-plant-just-in-case-they-1822546984

well yeah if she had been shot by police sure, i just think misogyny and ineptitude is a more likely explanation here

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

President Beep posted:

reminds me of that one old goon in gbs who used to be a cop in chicago or someplace and talked about carrying a drop knife

the way that dude got worshipped was pretty disgusting

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

ate all the Oreos posted:

i don't think the cops intentionally lied

this is a joke right

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

President Beep posted:

Old good and ephebophile.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

One thing I've found from using it for a few years is that the people in geographic or specific hobby subs are often depressingly old.

(Also PeCOS Bill or whatever his name was posts in the Pittsburgh subreddit and used to talk about how he weighs over three hundred pounds and that it made riding a motorcycle hard.)

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

bump_fn posted:

this is a joke right

i don't see how them covering up the truth is in their interest in this case

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Baxate posted:

i don't see how them covering up the truth is in their interest in this case

they do it as natural as breathing, it's second nature by the time they get out of academy

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

One thing I've found from using it for a few years is that the people in geographic or specific hobby subs are often depressingly old.

(Also PeCOS Bill or whatever his name was posts in the Pittsburgh subreddit and used to talk about how he weighs over three hundred pounds and that it made riding a motorcycle hard.)

Apr 7, 2003

Pittsburgh goonmeet looking good

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lol

hahahahahaahaha

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

(Also PeCOS Bill or whatever his name was posts in the Pittsburgh subreddit and used to talk about how he weighs over three hundred pounds and that it made riding a motorcycle doing pretty much anything hard.)

Apr 7, 2003

He doxxed me on Reddit and told everyone to come read my "insane ramblings" in the SA Pittsburgh thread, which did exactly nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i sometimes read the canon sub reddit. it’s not very good