Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mu Zeta posted:

It's the equivalent of a re-tweet. It's just white noise and also attention whoring. I can't stand people that just re-tweet everything and don't have anything to actually say. Also Tumbler seems to have the dumbest userbase.

imo re-tweeting is in a different spirit, re-tweeting is for when you like something and also want to show it to people but you have nothing to add. You also cannot physically add anything except for leaving a separate comment that the people you re-tweet it to won't see. That pic is basically emptyquoting on SA but also going "NOT AN EMPTYQUOTE" in your post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

CJacobs posted:

imo re-tweeting is in a different spirit, re-tweeting is for when you like something and also want to show it to people but you have nothing to add. You also cannot physically add anything except for leaving a separate comment that the people you re-tweet it to won't see. That pic is basically emptyquoting on SA but also going "NOT AN EMPTYQUOTE" in your post

Not an emptyquote

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

oldpainless posted:

Not an emptyquote

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I know I've posted a bunch of times about people oversharing before, but I seriously just had someone go from "nice to meet you!" to Antivaxxer in the span of 20 seconds, and like it's first thing in the loving morning why are you like this

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
well i guess it could've been a vegan antivaxx marxist flat-earth bitcoin merchant

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

People who don't take lactose intolerance seriously.
No, I'm not 'just getting an upset stomach,' I will potentially be completely useless/unavailable for a couple of hours because the coffee place didn't bother to double check that I ordered a drink that's made with coconut milk.

People who don't take allergies seriously should be severely punished. I'm sorry that happened to you :(

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
People who consistently spell common words wrong even after being corrected multiple times. An extremely common one seems to be "looses" instead of loses. They mean completely different things and don't even sound the same when you say them out loud.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People who consistently spell common words wrong even after being corrected multiple times. An extremely common one seems to be "looses" instead of loses. They mean completely different things and don't even sound the same when you say them out loud.

Defiantly one of my biggest peeves

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Defiantly one of my biggest peeves

I could care less if you want to make yourself look dumb since for all intensive purposes it doesn't affect me, but irregardless it still annoys me.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Danaru posted:

I know I've posted a bunch of times about people oversharing before, but I seriously just had someone go from "nice to meet you!" to Antivaxxer in the span of 20 seconds, and like it's first thing in the loving morning why are you like this

That seems quite useful to me. Now you know that person is a moron you don't want to be around without having to go through the trouble of getting to know them.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Still, you should of known that it begs the question, 'why bother?'

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mostly I don't notice or don't care about this kind of thing, but there are a few that frequently irritate me: "Make due" instead of "make do"; "Step foot" instead of "set foot"; "Past time" instead of "pastime". Mostly because I often see them in supposedly professional writing that's been past an editor.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Kitten caboodle :catbert:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Speaking of kittens, when people say "kiddy-corner" instead of "kitty-corner". For one, it's the wrong spelling, and for another, just the phrase itself even spelled correctly is annoying. Like I know what it means but not why it's called that, and many times I've seen people who have never heard it and had no clue what they meant. It's much more clear to just say "go to the near/far right/left corner at this intersection coming from X direction" than saying "oh it's kitty-corner to the CVS". It's longer, sure, unless you have to clarify.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

People who don't take lactose intolerance seriously.
No, I'm not 'just getting an upset stomach,' I will potentially be completely useless/unavailable for a couple of hours because the coffee place didn't bother to double check that I ordered a drink that's made with coconut milk.

Sociopastry posted:

I mean yeah sure I can totally have that but now you get to deal with gas that smells like burning hair and me constantly running to the bathroom
you can buy lactase supplements
https://www.lactaid.com/

BattyKiara posted:

People who don't take allergies seriously should be severely punished. I'm sorry that happened to you :(
lactose intolerance isn't an allergy, it's the inability of the stomach to produce lactase, which is what makes lactose into glucose.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Speaking of kittens, when people say "kiddy-corner" instead of "kitty-corner". For one, it's the wrong spelling, and for another, just the phrase itself even spelled correctly is annoying. Like I know what it means but not why it's called that, and many times I've seen people who have never heard it and had no clue what they meant. It's much more clear to just say "go to the near/far right/left corner at this intersection coming from X direction" than saying "oh it's kitty-corner to the CVS". It's longer, sure, unless you have to clarify.

People where I'm from usually say caddy-corner

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Yeah, but those two are pronounced the same.

Edit: I'm from Michigan, which probably accounts for why I say that.

Leave has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Apr 3, 2018

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I’ve commonly heard it pronounced and spelt “caddy corner” (like the guy who carries your golf clubs) or “catty corner” (like you’re discussing sorority drama). I don’t think I’ve ever heard either kiddy or kitty corner.

But I think we can all agree that no matter how you spell and pronounce it, it still sounds stupid.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
It's better than the local colloquialism of "down yonder". Used like: "Yep, that Dollar General is just down yonder from the old Tuckerman farm." I have stopped asking for directions because everyone here talks like that. I don't even know how long a yonder is, never mind what the hell the old Tuckerman farm is, that's a church now. Goddamn Boomhauer talking rednecks. And okay I talk like that too, but that's the worst part. It's contagious.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

fizzymercy posted:

It's better than the local colloquialism of "down yonder". Used like: "Yep, that Dollar General is just down yonder from the old Tuckerman farm." I have stopped asking for directions because everyone here talks like that. I don't even know how long a yonder is, never mind what the hell the old Tuckerman farm is, that's a church now. Goddamn Boomhauer talking rednecks. And okay I talk like that too, but that's the worst part. It's contagious.

I'm guilty of saying "down that ways a while" and "keep going until you see some really messed up house on the right and then it's a ways after that" but I am extremely bad with directions and that's honestly the best I can do.

e: I always preface it by saying I barely even know where I am but they still want to know so I tell them with the unspoken caveat of "maybe, i don't know".

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 20:42 on Apr 3, 2018

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I live with someone who is incapable of planning ahead, lacks resourcefulness and a massive pain in the rear end to help. Hope you miss your flight tomorrow.

Seriously, if you are the type of person who loses their poo poo every time you are going to travel somewhere, then people deserve to not be a part of your life.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Midig posted:

I live with someone who is incapable of planning ahead, lacks resourcefulness and a massive pain in the rear end to help. Hope you miss your flight tomorrow.

Seriously, if you are the type of person who loses their poo poo every time you are going to travel somewhere, then people deserve to not be a part of your life.

Punctuality is very close to the top of traits that I value. I don't care if you're a loved one or a friend, if you are depending on me for a ride to get to the airport or whatever and you are loving around well past the deadline, I will ditch your rear end and go myself. You can deal with the extra expenses of missing a flight, it wasn't my fault. Have these people never heard of alarms? If you're that bad at alarms, stagger them like an adult and get up when you have to.

One time I even had to resort to my dad's old method of getting me out of bed: emptying the ice tray into their pants/shirt. If I am there pouring ice down your pants it was time to get up well over half an hour ago.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Punctuality is very close to the top of traits that I value. I don't care if you're a loved one or a friend, if you are depending on me for a ride to get to the airport or whatever and you are loving around well past the deadline, I will ditch your rear end and go myself. You can deal with the extra expenses of missing a flight, it wasn't my fault. Have these people never heard of alarms? If you're that bad at alarms, stagger them like an adult and get up when you have to.

One time I even had to resort to my dad's old method of getting me out of bed: emptying the ice tray into their pants/shirt. If I am there pouring ice down your pants it was time to get up well over half an hour ago.

More specifically. I have to help them print out tickets one day ahead. While being yelled at. Some people can't help but lash out at everyone within a 5-meter vicinity whenever something is going slightly awry. You would instead expect them to calm down if they are getting help.

Midig has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Apr 3, 2018

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Well you see, the computer will not help them just by screaming at it, that's something only humans will do.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
People who are advocates for employing physical discipline on their children in the Current Year should drop loving dead

edit: Ok it's a little more than a pet peeve but the zero-to-anti-vaxxer post reminded me of people who intimately let me know they're a-ok with smacking their kids for being 'bad'. Don't ever hit your kids you loving scum

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I don't think I've ever heard this phrase outside the context of "Can you believe people in [place] use this weird phrase!?"

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Anyone buying glutenfree foods who is not genuinely gluten intolerant. Thanks, hippie, for letting corporations know that they can create new demands and sell us poo poo we don't need. If you are the type of person who makes it a big deal for everyone else and they have to make adjustments for you (family dinners, holidays, restaurants), then gently caress you! All the disadvantages of having a vegetarian around, but instead of being an empathetic person you are just a sucker.

Midig has a new favorite as of 01:41 on Apr 4, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
People using the phrase "late stage capitalism", as if something so insidious and durable is just minutes away from collapse.

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't think I've ever heard this phrase outside the context of "Can you believe people in [place] use this weird phrase!?"

I don't think I've ever heard the phrase before this thread.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

People using the phrase "late stage capitalism", as if something so insidious and durable is just minutes away from collapse.

I don't think I've ever heard the phrase before this thread.

I think it's meant the way one would refer to the late stages of a disease, but I don't know the origin of the term

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Georges Sorrel busted a nut writing about late stage capitalism. He couldn't wait for it to all blow up. (even though he was a well paid government guy)

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Elizabethan Error posted:

you can buy lactase supplements
https://www.lactaid.com/

I get that, but it loving sucks when I specifically order food/drinks that don't have lactose, specifically so I don't have issues and so I don't have to take a pill or whatever, and someone fucks it up and ruins my day.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think it's meant the way one would refer to the late stages of a disease, but I don't know the origin of the term

Maybe, but the term is over a hundred years old at this point and feels more like wishful thinking than a useful description.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Åå

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

fizzymercy posted:

Over yonder means in this direction, but beyond what is currently visible. As opposed to over there, which is a location we can both see. So if I said 'My car is over yonder', and I gestured at a hill, you could surmise that my car was on the other side of the hill.

I say we bring yonder back, y'all!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
People who are sick yet come into work anyway.

Guy left on Monday because he was obviously sick, Tuesday morning I see him back again and I think “oh, he must be better”

Nope, he’s even worse and coughing and hacking everywhere so they have to find a replacement again and send him home. Just call in sick. Nobody is praising you for being hero for working when you’re ill. You actively piss me off at that point because now I’m getting an extremely plugged up nose and I’m worried it’s a precursor to a cold. Just stay the gently caress home and take the time needed to recover and you’ll get better much faster.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The Black Stones posted:

Guy left on Monday because he was obviously sick, Tuesday morning I see him back again and I think “oh, he must be better”

Nope, he’s even worse and coughing and hacking everywhere so they have to find a replacement again and send him home. Just call in sick. Nobody is praising you for being hero for working when you’re ill. You actively piss me off at that point because now I’m getting an extremely plugged up nose and I’m worried it’s a precursor to a cold. Just stay the gently caress home and take the time needed to recover and you’ll get better much faster.

I'm sure a flood of "but in some places you'll get fired for not coming in" etc is coming but I agree. For the places obsessed with doctor's notes, they should really offer a service where you can get a free electronic one without actually going to see the doctor by calling them up and describing your symptoms. I'm sure that would be abused but it would be pretty easy to tell the difference between people using it correctly and people who are abusing it.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

The Black Stones posted:

This is more the fault of businesses and an environment where taking time off due to illness is punished.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Peoole who blow on hot food. It doesn’t make it any colder!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Master Twig posted:

This is more the fault of businesses and an environment where taking time off due to illness is punished.

Yeah, though I've seen it happen in places with generous sick leave entitlements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Master Twig posted:

Our business has sick time and I’ve called in a ton of times and they go “okay yeah, just get a sick note” and after a while I stopped even doing that because I stopped giving a poo poo and my family doctor can only be seen one day a week (I need a new doctor).

I have yet to be punished in any way. I’m sure it’s that way in other businesses, but this guy can definitely call in sick just chooses not too.