Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Budgie posted:

Ah, come on Guinness... if they only move 10% of the length of the train how can that be considered a success.

the guy that holds the record for most pullups did the chickenshit version so take any guinness record with a grain of salt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

hobbesmaster posted:

I mean, its not wrong, but :drat:

Does anyone have a link to the indictment against the designer? That one has the murder charge.

I found this one on the court's site. It includes a second-degree murder charge as the first count.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Does anyone have a link to the indictment against the designer? That one has the murder charge.

Soon only outlaws will have Verruckt waterslides

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Soon only outlaws will have Verruckt waterslides

I think having criminals ride that, while perhaps not cruel, is definitely unusual.

Maybe they should move it to a special Death Penalty Amusement Park. Get this, some old condemned wood roller coasters, some spinny rides with no safety bars...

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Relentless posted:

I think having criminals ride that, while perhaps not cruel, is definitely unusual.

Maybe they should move it to a special Death Penalty Amusement Park. Get this, some old condemned wood roller coasters, some spinny rides with no safety bars...

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

2nd amendment speaks to bearing arms - not guns, but arms. This is now a 2nd amendment issue. It's too soon to be talking about regulation / fight back against those liberal elite water-slide grabbers in DC <delete as appropriate>.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Relentless posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthanasia_Coaster

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:jeb:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I too appreciated the suggestion that clearly it is everything we know about physics that is wrong, and not, you know, that they did the math wrong/didn't do it at all.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what even is a law of physics anyway people break regular laws all the time

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Rad-daddio posted:

From a few pages back, but I live about half an hour from where the Southern Cross Cable Network comes on shore. Well, at least the California part of it: https://www.submarinecablemap.com/#/submarine-cable/southern-cross-cable-network-sccn

I have a pic of it somewhere, but the actual cable(about as big around as a utility pole) is uncovered about 300 feet up the beach. I've literally tripped over it while walking my dog at the ocean. You could probably setup a portable band saw and really gently caress that thing up, since it's just sitting there. That, or some redneck with some tannerite and a penchant for felonies. By the looks of it, I could really gently caress up the PUBG lobbies in Australia if I managed to damage that cable.
Yeah, you could gently caress up some ping times, but in general, traffic would just be routed through other cables, so it isn't like you'd take out the internet to "the whole carribean[Australia]". I imagine the

wolrah posted:

Yeah that's always annoyed me about that record. It's a record about a practical thing, I want to see the longest one that can actually be used. It doesn't have to be a regular trip, it can still definitely be a publicity stunt, but it should at least be able to travel between two places a normal road train would actually stop.

If it doesn't actually have to go anywhere useful, then given enough gearing the only real limiting factors are drawbar strength and traction available at the tractor.

HardDiskD posted:

AFAIK, the thing about Guinness World Records is that you have to be the first to do something, not that it is useful or necessarily impressive. When a WR is impressive is because people have been trying and breaking that particular record for a long time, and then naturally raising the bar to something impressive.

I don't know if the 1Km road train would have blown out its engine trying to move another Km, but it likely didn't need to if they were setting the WR for the first time.

The first one was actually impressive:

this video posted:

In 1999, the town of Merredin, Western Australia officially made it into the Guinness Book of Records, when Marleys Transport made a successful attempt on the record for the world's longest road train. The record was created when 45 trailers, driven by Greg Marley, weighing 603 t (593 long tons; 665 short tons) and measuring 610 m (2,001 ft) were pulled by a Kenworth 10×6 K100G for 8 km (5 mi)

Traded hands a few times at 8 km, then went to 1:1 for the 1500m, 117 trailer truck, then broken by 120 trailers moved 100m, and a switched back and forth a few times with that distance.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

It only says you have to be 48 inches to get on the coaster and says nothing about the height that you get off.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

A head shorter, obviously.

:rolleye: "Scientific approach to safety guidelines" coming from people who think the laws of physics are optional and math is gay nerd poo poo they're much too cool for.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 4, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Read the quotes aloud.

They’re Trumpesque.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

If the child had been 6 inches shorter then he wouldn't have been decapitated, therefore the 48 inch rule actively causes accidents much like seat belts and airframe parachutes do and the designers of the ride are visionaries.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
I’m conflicted about this case, I mean they are obviously guilty of gross negligence and should be charged for the other people getting hurt; but to me the father of the kid is as much to blame for his death as they are.

vvv I don’t think they should be charged for the dead kid if he isn’t. vvv

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 4, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t see the conflict.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/JAC3CyE.mp4

It's like a loving clown car.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Memento posted:

It's like Michelle Duggar's cootch.

FTFY

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Gynocentric Regime posted:

I’m conflicted about this case, I mean they are obviously guilty of gross negligence and should be charged for the other people getting hurt; but to me the father of the kid is as much to blame for his death as they are.

I don't see this at all. Do you presume that every roller coaster will kill you?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

glynnenstein posted:

I don't see this at all. Do you presume that every roller coaster will kill you?

after reading this thread, yeah

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

While that's nice and I get it morally, that's now how the justice system works and the solution can't be 'just don't go after anyone if we can't get the dad'.

Dudes deserve to get their asses handed to them for making that thing and bragging about it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Memento posted:

It's like a loving clown car.

Bus safety tips:
- always hold on if you're standing up
- move to the rear of the bus so the front doesn't get too crowded
- check that your driver isn't Ghost Rider

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gobbeldygook posted:

Remember the kid who got decapitated by a water slide? They are throwing the book at the water park. Designer was picked up in Texas.
Free unregulated enterprise until you kill a stat official's kid. Cool.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

evil_bunnY posted:

Free unregulated enterprise until you kill a stat official's kid. Cool.

This is exactly what I was getting at, the child’s father is directly responsible for his death. It seems wrong to hold them accountable when the father said that it was alright for them to do what they did.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Did the park and ride meet the standards of the new legislation?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

This is exactly what I was getting at, the child’s father is directly responsible for his death. It seems wrong to hold them accountable when the father said that it was alright for them to do what they did.

I have heard this but other than being a Republican, was he directly linked to deregulating amusement park rides?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...ame=why+we+slap

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Blindeye posted:

I have heard this but other than being a Republican, was he directly linked to deregulating amusement park rides?

Not only is he an acolyte of Brownback, which tells you all you need to know about his thoughts on regulation. He also advocated for and helped pass a tort reform law that he then used a loophole in to get himself $20 million when his kid died. He’s just a real piece of poo poo all around and nothing is too bad to happen to him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://giant.gfycat.com/LonelyPowerfulBirdofparadise.mp4
https://twitter.com/Austin_Lowrey/status/978059995605602304

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

https://i.imgur.com/47aKWFV.gifv

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

hobbesmaster posted:

Page 11 seems to indicate that they were playing roller coaster tycoon irl.
Obviously false, anyone playing roller coaster tycoon knows that adding a second hill to a waterslide is guaranteed to kill someone.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Subjunctive posted:

Did the park and ride meet the standards of the new legislation?

The new legislation was that there were no standards. So, yes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

lmao i didn't see the start of that so didn't see the propeller

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Jose posted:

lmao i didn't see the start of that so didn't see the propeller

First time I watched it I was wondering how it kept getting lift one the tires were off the ground.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Russia's second postal drone.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

So those people are reeeeal dead right? that's nuts

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Snow Crash miniseries lookin good

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I was looking into powered paragliders when I had too much money burning a hole in my pocket. You can fly the backpack sort without a license and I think the dune buggies count as ultralight which if I remember right means the license is mostly administrative.

Surprisingly the pancaking stat is relatively low. Most people run out of gas over a lake or ocean and either can't clear their gear or can't swim to shore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Well that was unexpected...

Gunshow Poophole posted:

So those people are reeeeal dead right? that's nuts
Apparently they survived.

quote:

"A company which owns a SkyRunner was performing a routine flight on Friday when it came in contact with a building," SkyRunner CEO Stewart Hamel told Gizmodo today by email.

"Both Pilot and passenger are stable, neither sustained life-threatening-injuries. We understand the incident is currently under investigation in the UAE and we will report further when we know more," said Hamel.

I remember seeing this when it was back in the kickstarter phase... Here's some more pictures and some more info