Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I've been getting saving errors in my PS4 version of Fallout 4 for the first time. I've played that game almost every month since its release and this is the first time that's happened. I've already tried deleting every single save I have and also rebuilding the database but it still happens on occasion.

Also it looks like it just updated, the next month's worth of Creation Club?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Speedball posted:

I've been getting saving errors in my PS4 version of Fallout 4 for the first time. I've played that game almost every month since its release and this is the first time that's happened. I've already tried deleting every single save I have and also rebuilding the database but it still happens on occasion.

Also it looks like it just updated, the next month's worth of Creation Club?

Probably, updated on PC too. Now I get to wait for f4se to update :argh:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

frajaq posted:

Would be interesting to see Fallout 1 & 2 in modern engines

I think Bethesda is gonna show at least some interesting stuff at this year's E3, hopefully at least one of them Fallout related

I'm betting on Dishonored (Arkane), Wolfenstein (Machine Games), and whatever original sci-fi RPG BGS has supposedly been working on.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I don't think they would announce any new Wolfenstein stuff so soon, didn't Wolfenstein 2 sell below expectations?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I'm also expecting a lampshade-joke about the Skyrim rerereleases in the E3 conference.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

frajaq posted:

I don't think they would announce any new Wolfenstein stuff so soon, didn't Wolfenstein 2 sell below expectations?

:tali:

Like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, the story just kinda...ends right when you're expecting things to really get started. Pretty clear sign they're planning on a sequel - or at least were planning on one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

dragonshardz posted:

:tali:

Like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, the story just kinda...ends right when you're expecting things to really get started. Pretty clear sign they're planning on a sequel - or at least were planning on one.

More like Square did a hatchet job and told Eidos to cut a load of stuff and then slashed development time. The same thing happened with Human Revolution where the entire Montreal Hub got cut from the game due to time constraints.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Arcsquad12 posted:

More like Square did a hatchet job and told Eidos to cut a load of stuff and then slashed development time. The same thing happened with Human Revolution where the entire Montreal Hub got cut from the game due to time constraints.

At least Human Revolution got an ending!

:negative:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

frajaq posted:

Would be interesting to see Fallout 1 & 2 in modern engines

Even if they don't do a full on modern engine upgrade, I feel like the tile-based layouts mean you could convert to 3D rendering models which align to the orignals and a script interpreter of the original game and give us a really nice enhanced edition.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

Human Revolution's story didn't abruptly end after Act 2! It had an ending! Cutting content is fine, just axing the third act entirely isn't.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

dragonshardz posted:

Human Revolution's story didn't abruptly end after Act 2! It had an ending! Cutting content is fine, just axing the third act entirely isn't.

I wouldn't even say Mankind Divided had a second act. It was like, one third of a Deus Ex game, packaged and sold as a full game.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

dragonshardz posted:

Your definition of an "ending" is incredibly generous. I'd say it has an Act 3, which Mankind Divided didn't have, but an ending?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I just found a new location in New Vegas, 9 playthroughs deep. Goddamn.

frajaq posted:

It sold better than Prey which is getting DLC so who knows. Bethesda-Zenimax are private not shareholder driven so they can be a little hard to predict/are more free to give series room to grow/are more likely to be cool with a game being profitable but not a smash hit.

I'd say a Wolf 3 announcement is unlikely more because Bethesda has had very short windows between announcement and launch since Skyrim and Wolf 2 only came out 6 months ago. If we haven't heard anything by e3 2020 I'd start to worry.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what new location? I feel like I've explored every nook and cranny of the map. Is it the powder ganger vault?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

double nine posted:

what new location? I feel like I've explored every nook and cranny of the map. Is it the powder ganger vault?

Nah found that a couple of playthroughs ago, this was some little roadside shop called the Grub and Gulp.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

A Sometimes Food posted:

Nah found that a couple of playthroughs ago, this was some little roadside shop called the Grub and Gulp.

there's a star bottlecap there. that's the only reason i know that location exists (that and it's extremely on-the-way from 188 to NV)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A Sometimes Food posted:

That one I'm actually surprised you didn't find. If you follow the road on your way to New Vegas, you'll inevitably pass it.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

That one I'm actually surprised you didn't find. If you follow the road on your way to New Vegas, you'll inevitably pass it.

Get a load of this guy following the road in a 3D fallout game psh

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

cazadores to the left of me
death claws to the right
here i am, following the road in a 3D fallout game

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I remember the Grub and Gulp because it's near a Legion assassin spawn point and one time one of the merchants there armed himself with a Shishkabob, in the grand tradition of Bethesda NPCs grabbing random crap and joining the fight.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

[Ulysses loved that.]

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

StandardVC10 posted:

I remember the Grub and Gulp because it's near a Legion assassin spawn point.

i don't know if it was an official patch or some combination of mods i've got running (without realizing it) but every one of my play throughs involves legion hit squads decked out with weapons like 2+ tiers above whatever i can presently acquire, and they seem to spawn extremely frequently until you go to Cesar and he tells them to knock it off.

i feel like the game-at-launch didn't have such deadly legion squads, or at least not as frequent, but maybe that's also me playing on PS3 in 2010 vs playing on PC now

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i don't know if it was an official patch or some combination of mods i've got running (without realizing it) but every one of my play throughs involves legion hit squads decked out with weapons like 2+ tiers above whatever i can presently acquire, and they seem to spawn extremely frequently until you go to Cesar and he tells them to knock it off.

i feel like the game-at-launch didn't have such deadly legion squads, or at least not as frequent, but maybe that's also me playing on PS3 in 2010 vs playing on PC now

IIRC at least one patch affected the assassin squads, as well as a number of community-released bugfixes.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

counterfeitsaint posted:

Your definition of an "ending" is incredibly generous. I'd say it has an Act 3, which Mankind Divided didn't have, but an ending?

It was an ending - the dangling plot threads were gathered up and tied into one of three little bows. I didn't say it was a satisfying ending, but it was an ending.

On the topic of Fallout:

Why oh why are Curie and Danse using their fists and a pipe pistol, respectively, instead of their default weapons? I even installed a mod to make their weapons get progressively better over time so there should be no reason for them to ever scavenge poo poo or run out of their special magic companion ammo.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

dragonshardz posted:

It was an ending - the dangling plot threads were gathered up and tied into one of three little bows. I didn't say it was a satisfying ending, but it was an ending.

On the topic of Fallout:

Why oh why are Curie and Danse using their fists and a pipe pistol, respectively, instead of their default weapons? I even installed a mod to make their weapons get progressively better over time so there should be no reason for them to ever scavenge poo poo or run out of their special magic companion ammo.

Please tell me the name of this mod, I hate having to remember to buy my companions ammo.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've only ever used companions once, when I was being completionist and doing all of their subquests.

Every other time I give it a try it lasts exactly until dogmeat gets me killed by standing in a doorway, or danse pushes me out of cover, or any number of other physics hangups that make me send them all to a far away settlement never to be seen again.

From my one companion run I do seem to recall Curie loving to punch things, regardless of weapon status

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Wasn't there something about her ai not changing properly when she's installed in a synth body so she keeps switching to melee?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

wtf I'm playing Fallout 3/NV again after a long rear end time and reminded/realized there's a Notes section in the Pip-boy just for minor notes/messages/details

why the gently caress did Bethesda get rid of this very simple but useful feature for F4 ? I hated how the fuckloads of logs/notes just cluttered my inventory

did I miss an option somewhere that activated this poo poo?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
No.

Also, I miss the mod from Skyrim that showed which documents have been read, unread and are new. So I can more easily differentiate between the 14 notes I have called 'Note' and help me find whatever random slip of paper I just picked up from a corpse without having to sort through 1300 entries.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Skyrim didn't differentiate between read and unread notes?! Like Fallout 3 and New Vegas did years before?!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It's been so long I don't remember what the unmodded UI looks like any more but I don't think it did. SkyUI added so much functionality and made it so much easier to use on a PC I can't imagine ever going without it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Skyrim's UI is abysmal even for something designed to be used with a controller. And of course it wasn't updated at all when the remastered edition came out because then Bethesda might have had to do some bugfixing.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah it's frankly bizarre how many QoL things in NV that Bethesda just dropped. Like I can get them not writing as well as Obsidian, they don't have the writers, but why drop this stuff?

chitoryu12 posted:

"follow the road" Yeah that'd be why I missed it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah it's frankly bizarre how many QoL things in NV that Bethesda just dropped. Like I can get them not writing as well as Obsidian, they don't have the writers, but why drop this stuff?

Merging the codebase is haaaaaaard. :eng99:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Please tell me the name of this mod, I hate having to remember to buy my companions ammo.

Companions in F4 have unlimited ammo for their default weapon type. EG: Synth Curie can use any weapon that uses Fusion Cells and never run out of ammo.

This is a vanilla thing. I think playing in Survival Mode might make the magic companion ammo non-infinite, in which case a mod called "Survival Options" fixes it...I think.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

dragonshardz posted:

Companions in F4 have unlimited ammo for their default weapon type. EG: Synth Curie can use any weapon that uses Fusion Cells and never run out of ammo.

This is a vanilla thing. I think playing in Survival Mode might make the magic companion ammo non-infinite, in which case a mod called "Survival Options" fixes it...I think.

No, it's still there but it's not like, infinite ammo of a certain type, it's an infinite ammo version of a certain weapon; Preston will never run out of fusion cells for his laser musket, but that doesn't mean he'll use a laser rifle if you don't also give him ammo (or even a different laser musket that you've modded).

This means barring the ridiculous ways you can turn any robot into an unstoppable death machine, the best combat companion is your second-in-command from Nuka World, since he has the only halfway decent default weapon.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
it really is a shame they don't work like settlers and just have unlimited ammo for their custom legendary death gun so long as you give them ten cells or whatever

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I liked Horizon's take where you can craft them better companion specific weapons with infinite ammo. That was a cool thing to work towards I found.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm not sure what would be a fair balance though. I got a mod that gave companions always infinite ammo and gave Nick the alien blaster and that was equally as dumb. I guess you could carefully moderate your gameplay and only give them weapons you deem fair, but that hardly seems like fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Wolfsheim posted:

No, it's still there but it's not like, infinite ammo of a certain type, it's an infinite ammo version of a certain weapon; Preston will never run out of fusion cells for his laser musket, but that doesn't mean he'll use a laser rifle if you don't also give him ammo (or even a different laser musket that you've modded).

This means barring the ridiculous ways you can turn any robot into an unstoppable death machine, the best combat companion is your second-in-command from Nuka World, since he has the only halfway decent default weapon.

You are correct, in which case I admit that I didn't load up the game to check until after I posted.

I'm still dealing with the problem where Curie and Danse have both independently decided that their default weapons, which have received upgrades via script from a neat mod which levels up companion weapons, are not good enough. Clearly, their fists and a lovely pipe pistol taken from a dead raider are better solutions!

I can't loving figure out why they are being dumb about this, either. I've spotted a couple mods that supposedly fix Curie, at least, but they don't work. I can make her equip and draw her rifle, and I can force Danse into doing the same through console commands, but as soon as we get into combat out come the lovely pipe pistol and dainty French fists.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm not sure what would be a fair balance though. I got a mod that gave companions always infinite ammo and gave Nick the alien blaster and that was equally as dumb. I guess you could carefully moderate your gameplay and only give them weapons you deem fair, but that hardly seems like fun.

IMO a fair balance would be that companions get infinite ammo matching that of their default weapon, so Curie and Danse would have infinite ammo for laser and plasma weapons, Nick would have infinite...either .38 or .45, etc.