Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Len posted:

I really wanted the rumor of a game set during ww2 staring Boss and the Cobra Unit to happen ):

I'd love to see a Metal Gear prequel starring Liquid.

Edit: Also, one of my favorite things in MGS3 is realize your support crew are the background villains of the original MGS: ParaMedic is the one who experimented on Grey Fox and turned him into the Ninja, and SigInt is the DARPA Chief.

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 02:04 on Apr 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Agents are GO! posted:

I'd love to see a Metal Gear prequel starring Liquid.

Edit: Also, one of my favorite things in MGS3 is realize your support crew are the background villains of the original MGS: ParaMedic is the one who experimented on Grey Fox and turned him into the Ninja, and SigInt is the DARPA Chief.

I mean realistically MGS 3 and out has you playing as the bad guy slowly putting pieces in place for Metal Gear 1 which would make for a pretty fun remake if Konami stilled cared about videogames

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Len posted:

I mean realistically MGS 3 and out has you playing as the bad guy slowly putting pieces in place for Metal Gear 1 which would make for a pretty fun remake if Konami stilled cared about videogames

I love how the whole conceit of Metal 1, 3, and sort of 4 is that soldiers are used by politicians for pointless ends and are just tools, and Big Boss is sort of the good guy because he realized the game and tried to get out of it.

Which, like medieval knights, sorta sounds romantically noble. Until you give it 5 seconds of thought and realize that a society that glorifies soldiers is loving insane and of loving course they should be controlled by politicians. I always had the feeling that Kojima put Big Boss's "second" death scene at the end of MGS4 to push back against this idea. Maybe he realized that he took the nobility too far and wanted to balance the sacrifice of The Boss over basically nothing with the reality that a world controlled by soldiers would be horrible.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Pook Good Mook posted:

I love how the whole conceit of Metal 1, 3, and sort of 4 is that soldiers are used by politicians for pointless ends and are just tools, and Big Boss is sort of the good guy because he realized the game and tried to get out of it.

Which, like medieval knights, sorta sounds romantically noble. Until you give it 5 seconds of thought and realize that a society that glorifies soldiers is loving insane and of loving course they should be controlled by politicians. I always had the feeling that Kojima put Big Boss's "second" death scene at the end of MGS4 to push back against this idea. Maybe he realized that he took the nobility too far and wanted to balance the sacrifice of The Boss over basically nothing with the reality that a world controlled by soldiers would be horrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbI_FZdyLdM

I think The Boss wanted to make a world where deaths like hers here unnecessary, in other words, a peaceful world. Big Boss misinterpreted this on a more personal level, to make a world where deaths like hers were impossible because soldiers were running the show.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Anyway, the twist of MGSV shows that Big Boss is a massive hypocrite.

Also, the fact that A Way Out starts as a grimly realistic prison drama and gradually turns into Commando is awesome as gently caress.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 12:06 on Apr 4, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

On the opposite end wasn't there Heavy Rain, where it's supposed be about stopping the one serial-killer, except you run into a bunch of unrelated serial-killers and at one you play a out-of-shape gumshoe who kills a dozen bodyguards. It's as the writer couldn't milk enough tension out of just one villain so he threw in a bunch of random dudes to pad out the run-time. There's even a dream-sequence where the leading-lady fights a gang of home-intruders because A: there hasn't been much action so far, and B: we get to see an attractive woman not wearing pants.

Nobody in Ace Attorney ever had to throw a punch.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Heavy Rain was real bad. At some point David Cage was showing off a scene with the reporter character where she goes incognito into some dance club. Supposedly he was trying to show how powerful and independent she is, but his commentary on her actions was suuuuper creepy.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Heavy Rain was real bad. At some point David Cage was showing off a scene with the reporter character where she goes incognito into some dance club. Supposedly he was trying to show how powerful and independent she is, but his commentary on her actions was suuuuper creepy.

Woolie in Indigo Prophecy Finale posted:

Your lovely rear end garbage loving game doesn't have the balls to be original, David Cage. The worst piece of poo poo you have ever made turned out to be a rip-off. How does that make you feel? You gently caress! You hack!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Inspector Gesicht posted:

On the opposite end wasn't there Heavy Rain, where it's supposed be about stopping the one serial-killer, except you run into a bunch of unrelated serial-killers and at one you play a out-of-shape gumshoe who kills a dozen bodyguards. It's as the writer couldn't milk enough tension out of just one villain so he threw in a bunch of random dudes to pad out the run-time. There's even a dream-sequence where the leading-lady fights a gang of home-intruders because A: there hasn't been much action so far, and B: we get to see an attractive woman not wearing pants.

Nobody in Ace Attorney ever had to throw a punch.

I don’t think you quite remember/know the story. I literally just finished this last night and there’s only one serial killer. No one kills anyone if you don’t want them to cause the game is about choices. There’s trophies for not killing people for fucks sake.

E: it’s acrually kind of cool that in a few scenes you have to get it just right to get the command to “not kill dude.” Like in one I think the only reason I got it was cause I watch a lot of cop shows and was able to reason with the dude based on what cops say.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

This, however, is true. What the gently caress was the point in this scene at all. As soon as it came on, I was like, “wtf woman sleeps in only a tiny tight shirt and tiny underwear?” Every woman I know wears loving pajamas like comfy pants and poo poo. There’s also sooooooo many close-up shots of her rear end, which is unusually big.

And yeah the dance club thing was stupid because she should have been trying to blend in so should have worn a mini-skirt to begin with but instead came in, in a business suit and had to rip it open to “be more sexy.” On the plus side you got to smash the creepy pervert’s head in (if you did qte right, I dunno what happens if you missed the commands). So all the grossness was kind of worth it.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 14:34 on Apr 4, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This is why I never minded Quiet in MGSV, or characters in Hideki Kamiya games. Kojima is emulating classic spy and action movies, which are very male-centric and full of sexy action women, and Kamiya is pretty up-front about being like "oh I do this because I like the sexy women." It's a lot better than trying to pretend they're being empowered by it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Kojima always had a lot of man rear end to balance it out. Quiet was ridiculous, but you also got routine close ups of John's butt so

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Thin Privilege posted:

I don’t think you quite remember/know the story. I literally just finished this last night and there’s only one serial killer. No one kills anyone if you don’t want them to cause the game is about choices. There’s trophies for not killing people for fucks sake.

E: it’s acrually kind of cool that in a few scenes you have to get it just right to get the command to “not kill dude.” Like in one I think the only reason I got it was cause I watch a lot of cop shows and was able to reason with the dude based on what cops say.

This, however, is true. What the gently caress was the point in this scene at all. As soon as it came on, I was like, “wtf woman sleeps in only a tiny tight shirt and tiny underwear?” Every woman I know wears loving pajamas like comfy pants and poo poo. There’s also sooooooo many close-up shots of her rear end, which is unusually big.

And yeah the dance club thing was stupid because she should have been trying to blend in so should have worn a mini-skirt to begin with but instead came in, in a business suit and had to rip it open to “be more sexy.” On the plus side you got to smash the creepy pervert’s head in (if you did qte right, I dunno what happens if you missed the commands). So all the grossness was kind of worth it.

Wasn't it two other killers? the one from the DLC which I honestly wouldn't count but the reporter ends up drugged and trapped in some killers basement

But I haven't played the game since it came out so my memory is probably hosed

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is why I never minded Quiet in MGSV, or characters in Hideki Kamiya games. Kojima is emulating classic spy and action movies, which are very male-centric and full of sexy action women, and Kamiya is pretty up-front about being like "oh I do this because I like the sexy women." It's a lot better than trying to pretend they're being empowered by it.

Yeah at least they made up a (stupid) reason for her being mostly naked; and in any case, she was more than empowered regardless of her stupid outfit cause she murdered or tranquilized all enemies so the game was hell as gently caress easy. She was the best companion, I used her 99.9% of the time. I think you eventually you could get her a big rear end army uniform iirc.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There's a mod to get the XOF uniform much sooner in the game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Thin Privilege posted:

Yeah at least they made up a (stupid) reason for her being mostly naked; and in any case, she was more than empowered regardless of her stupid outfit cause she murdered or tranquilized all enemies so the game was hell as gently caress easy. She was the best companion, I used her 99.9% of the time. I think you eventually you could get her a big rear end army uniform iirc.

You could get her Sniper Wolf's outfit from MGS1. It was basically the olive camo. With a low neckline.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Len posted:

Wasn't it two other killers? the one from the DLC which I honestly wouldn't count but the reporter ends up drugged and trapped in some killers basement

But I haven't played the game since it came out so my memory is probably hosed

I have the PS4 version so I don’t know about any dlc but in the game, if you make the right choices, it’s very very clear who is the killer and why they did it. There’s one copycat but it explains he only killed once and why.

The deaths in this game (including the killer’s) are gruesome :unsmigghh:

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Apr 4, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Thin Privilege posted:

I have the PS4 version so I don’t know about any dlc but in the game, if you make the right choices, it’s very very clear who is the killer and why they did it.

The deaths in this game (including the killer’s) are pretty gruesome :unsmigghh:

Looking it up the PS4 version doesn't have: http://heavyrain.wikia.com/wiki/Heavy_Rain_Chronicles:_Episode_One_-_The_Taxidermist

But this guy definitely is a second serial killer in addition to the Origami Killer who is in the base game: http://heavyrain.wikia.com/wiki/Adrian_Baker

Edit: I guess the second guy only has one confirmed kill but I feel with how quickly he snaps to wanting to kill the Madison it's implied there was or will be more.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Len posted:

Looking it up the PS4 version doesn't have: http://heavyrain.wikia.com/wiki/Heavy_Rain_Chronicles:_Episode_One_-_The_Taxidermist

But this guy definitely is a second serial killer in addition to the Origami Killer who is in the base game: http://heavyrain.wikia.com/wiki/Adrian_Baker

Oh yeah that doc is definitely a serial killer I was just talking about the main origami guy. I was reading some random article that I don’t quite remember but the gist of it was that they stopped making DLC to make Beyond Two Souls so I dunno maybe they didn’t include the dlc in the remaster cause it wasn’t really finished.

Re: Beyond Two Souls, I really liked that in the first 10 min of the game being able to chose to throw stuff in the nurse(?)’s face and then do progressively worse stuff to make her freak the gently caress out and try and run out the room.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 15:00 on Apr 4, 2018

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

poptart_fairy posted:

Kojima always had a lot of man rear end to balance it out. Quiet was ridiculous, but you also got routine close ups of John's butt so

Never forget that Big Boss and Miller fought each other naked in the shower

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

MizPiz posted:

Never forget that Big Boss and Miller fought each other naked in the shower

:stonklol: what??

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Remembering Heavy Rain always makes me laugh because of the Scandinavian they got to play "Nahmin Jaydin."

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

On the other hand:
https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/376424398023962624

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kojima is mature, and respectful

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

:allears:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

It's mentioned in Ground Zeros and Peace Walker (pretty sure it's mentioned here, it's in a secret Paz tape).

Metal Gear's homoeroticism isn't so much subtext as supertext.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Here's a nice examination of the male gaze in media.
Metal gear solid 5: Quite, a female enemy sniper that you convert to your side, is for extremley contrived plot reasons required to be naked as possible, as she photosynthesis' instead of eats, and drinks water through her skin. A fair way into the game, you've both gained each others trust, and Quite dances in the rain and flirts with your character a bit. Lots cuts of a nearly-naked woman smiling and laughing in the rain, rubbing rain all over her nearly naked body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoWswXJrB8U

Here's the same scene, but replace Quiets model with Revolver Ocelot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87YXRvfMDlM

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

That's perfectly in-character for Ocelot

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

What I like about Quiet is that Metal Gear Solid 3 has a fully-clothed elderly man with the exact same gimmick

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

codenameFANGIO posted:

What I like about Quiet is that Metal Gear Solid 3 has a fully-clothed elderly man with the exact same gimmick

Anyone got that picture of The End in Quiet's outfit?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

That was an amazing tape and I only wish it was a full cutscene and not just an audio description from another character.

All those Paz tapes describing what exactly goes on at Mother base are all great. Apparently all that your soldiers do is play football, go fishing and get drunk.

(except the tape where Dr Strangelove molests the woman posing as a 16 year old :gonk: )

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I love how in all of Paz’s tapes she’s desperately trying to convince herself how evil and hateful she is despite loving this poo poo.

“The cute little kitten was so precious and made the sweetest little meows. I was disgusted by how weak it was.”

“I stared very intently as they groped at each others’ soapy, well-muscled manly bodies. I couldn’t tear my eyes away even though I totally wanted to because I’m evil.”

SkeletonHero has a new favorite as of 22:45 on Apr 4, 2018

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Please note that in the Ocelot video Big Boss' custom created emblem patch on his shoulder reads "Ocelot Love" with two intertwined cartoon hearts.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Flinger posted:

That's perfectly in-character for Ocelot

Yeah that's the worst character for that argument.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Muppetjedi posted:

"Oh poo poo! She's got a grenade launcher, run!" ... "That's right! Run, you bastards! I'm coming for you all!" was such an amazing cathartic moment after spending all of Tomb Raider 2013 just being screwed over by everything.

Favorite part of that game.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Didn't Big Boss straight up have sex with Kaz in a side-mission or is that not canon?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They were just on a date.

A very intense date.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
For all we know those two men, in speedos, were practicing their CQC in that box.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

When does the end drink water from his skin?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MrJacobs posted:

When does the end drink water from his skin?

Drinking water from his skin isn't shown, but he has photosynthesis.

Edit: \/ and the super running thing, but I don't disagree that the costume excuse is plain terrible.

Mokinokaro has a new favorite as of 02:24 on Apr 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

Drinking water from his skin isn't shown, but he has photosynthesis.

Which is a different gimmick, The End's was being one with nature. Quiet's whole gimmick is that she refuses to speak english and drinks from her skin, which is why she is naked. Besides that her only real gimmick besides that is she is a super-sniper who doesn't need a spotter, a gimmick used twice already. 3 if you count the stupid wolf girl from 4.