Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

So what's the term for someone who lives their lives awash in conspiracy theory horseshit? I don't really know of a term in the common lexicon for this kind of behavior despite how prevalent it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

oh, you're one of those people

can't let those fake gamer girlz stream

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

a useful idiot

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i bet they don't even know mario's inseam length

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i thought twitch cracked down on the stripping aspect awhile back

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

So what's the term for someone who lives their lives awash in conspiracy theory horseshit? I don't really know of a term in the common lexicon for this kind of behavior despite how prevalent it is

crackpots, or more affectionately, the mr joneses

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Improbable Lobster posted:

this, however, is common knowledge:

https://www.avclub.com/luigi-definitely-has-a-dick-and-its-3-7-inches-flaccid-1823832544

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

or his most recent penile plethysmography results

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
mamma mia, il giornalismo!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

youtube and twitch appeal to people who would never busk for anything because you can be a shut-in and still magically make money somehow

busking requires you to go out in public and ply your trade in front of other people and risk rejection

america is raising its own generation of hikikomori

if you actually want to make a living on youtube you need good content, the production of which is a full-time job. just putting out one video a week is no small task, particularly if you are writing, shooting, narrating and editing everything yourself. even the people making those weird "frozen elsa pregnant spiderman joker poison" videos designed to exploit the recommendation algorithm had to put some actual time and effort into them

hobbesmaster posted:

the most popular streamers are guys though

still don't understand ninja, he seems like every other fornite/game of the moment streamer to me

i don't get a lot of the super popular twitch streamers. most of them just sit there playing whatever the current popular multiplayer shooter is while not being particularly good at it, nor do they have an entertaining personality, yet they have thousands of subscribers and people throw more money at them :shrug:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/981558161566920704

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
actually its all about the perception of punching up or down and nothing else really matters that much

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

President Beep posted:

lowtax monetize my posts or i will get made at u

:mad:

lowtax doesn't even make any money off of your posts

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

i don't get a lot of the super popular twitch streamers. most of them just sit there playing whatever the current popular multiplayer shooter is while not being particularly good at it, nor do they have an entertaining personality, yet they have thousands of subscribers and people throw more money at them :shrug:
they do have an engaging personality, it's just not one that meshes with you. you don't get to superstar level or even 'pays my rent' level without one and that includes physical appearance

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Bhodi posted:

that includes physical appearance

i know gay dudes who think pewdiepie is hot, for example, and he clearly knows this and has been moving towards being somewhat a style icon. im sure there are others like that

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

akadajet posted:

lowtax doesn't even make any money off of your posts

i *snort* i find that hard to believe!!!!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i know gay dudes who think pewdiepie is hot, for example, and he clearly knows this and has been moving towards being somewhat a style icon. im sure there are others like that
i'm saying just being hot is not enough, just like just being good at video games is not enough on it's own. people on twitch are ad-lib entertainers and it requires a number of factors. there's a whole list of things that go into being successful and some are things like streaming consistently at certain times to build up a base of people

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The_Franz posted:

congrats on getting old, grandpa

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

"American"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

nah we just need to get society to start considering "youtube star" at the same level of career viability as "busker"

there are buskers way beyond the abilities of 99.9% of "what is UP guys?"-tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjlZC0XQnz8

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol how will this thread reconcile sarah jeong disagreeing with their dumbass takes about this :thunk:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Bhodi posted:

i'm saying just being hot is not enough, just like just being good at video games is not enough on it's own. people on twitch are ad-lib entertainers

apparently (if i remember correctly) you also have to stage hilarious pranks that involve making indians throw nazi salutes for pennies

the price of fame

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

boy do i have a fun surprise for you then when you look up where david icke is from!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

apparently (if i remember correctly) you also have to stage hilarious pranks that involve making indians throw nazi salutes for pennies

the price of fame

don't forget "find dead bodies and laugh about it because you're ~edgy~"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The_Franz posted:

many are crazy good at their game. if they're not crazy good people are tuning in for the meltdowns or something else

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

ate all the Oreos posted:

don't forget "find dead bodies and laugh about it because you're ~edgy~"

i think you're confusing two very similar white people here

i dont think the guy who did the japanese dead body thing does games

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

yep and it's incredibly obvious how many people didn't even bother reading the article

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

many are crazy good at their game. if they're not crazy good people are tuning in for the meltdowns or something else

10-13 year olds don't really need a reason to like something other than "friends like it" and maybe "it seems edgy and cool but in a safe way"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i think you're confusing two very similar white people here

i dont think the guy who did the japanese dead body thing does games

yeah i kinda generalized it to ~youtube superstars~ too since they're kinda the same weird stupid niche

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/pax3q7/a-note-about-shenzhens-homegrown-cyborg-naomi-wu

quote:

We still feel the story speaks for itself, and have no desire to publicly engage with every subject who disagrees with our stories. Every person is entitled to share their opinion. But in this case, after Naomi published a video containing the home address of one of our employees to multiple platforms and threatened our staff and their partners with further doxing and harassment, we felt it was warranted to discuss what has happened. In regard to the video specifically, the platforms, including YouTube, Twitter, and Patreon, determined for themselves what action to take in accordance with their terms of service.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
now that i think about it im really not sure which is worse, twitchers or you tubers

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

wow good thing i stopped giving a poo poo about this pages back lest this thread would've been way awkward now

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

twitch seems pretty benign compared to the more popular youtubers

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

now that i think about it im really not sure which is worse, twitchers or you tubers

youtube offers a breadth of maladjusted cranks that twitch cant even hope to match

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

President Beep posted:

youtube offers a breadth of maladjusted cranks that twitch cant even hope to match
I suspect this has to do with being live video rather than edited because you can cherry-pick ANYONE to seem sane, at least in the short term

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

if you actually want to make a living on youtube you need good content, the production of which is a full-time job. just putting out one video a week is no small task, particularly if you are writing, shooting, narrating and editing everything yourself. even the people making those weird "frozen elsa pregnant spiderman joker poison" videos designed to exploit the recommendation algorithm had to put some actual time and effort into them

i don't care how much effort was put in, or how good the product is

the dangerous thing is the dream of somehow making money without integrating into a broader social fabric. it is a cultural problem. that is just not a good thing to want, much less actively pursue

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

imagine what someone like mark dice's twitch would be like

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

LA has built out tons of mass transit lately and is still building more.

LA is good.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

the answer? Yosposters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

President Beep posted:

youtube often serves as a landing pad for people banned from twitch for being too obnoxious