Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Michigan is actually an exclave of Mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Thanks to an innovative new privatization policy Michigan is going to be administered by CCP.

btw that low fi hip hop beats stuff is just electronic jazz/R&B and there's nothing particularly good or bad about liking it

vaporwave is electronic R&B but extremely kitsch for some reason

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 4, 2018

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Vaporwave is basically just elevator music but self aware.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I’m confused and disturbed by these pieces of internet culture created by children on youtube post 2010 that are reminding me I’m old now

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Soviet Commubot posted:

I don't know why but for some reason Michigan just breaks some map-makers' brains. They have no idea where to put it.

It and Chicago apparently aren't in the Midwest.

"Hmm, I really want to split the Northeast into two sub-categories, but gosh I've only heard of a Mid-Atlantic, not sure how else to categorize things. At the very least I'm sure splitting New Jersey from New York is a sensible choice."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There's a lot of stupid maps in this thread and damned if that isn't one of them

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Percentage of people who believe their country is headed in the right direction, January 2018.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why does that map template have Greater Morocco and the SADR?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Guavanaut posted:

Why does that map template have Greater Morocco and the SADR?

Because it has the courage not to lie to you.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Finnaly.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

It also has Somaliland :toot:

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Missouri is such an oddball when it comes to regional categorization. North of the Missouri River it's indistinguishable from Iowa, so putting it with the plains states kind of makes sense. South of the Missouri River and especially the Ozarks is indistinguishable from Arkansas and it wouldn't be crazy to categorize it as the South. Then the eastern edge of the state and especially St. Louis is as rust belt as it gets and fits with the midwest.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

*looks at Crimea* i mean...

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Soviet Commubot posted:

Oh that's right, the UP is actually in Wisconsin

Fun fact: if the UP were part of Wisconsin and the Florida panhandle were part of Alabama, Trump would have lost.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sulphagnist posted:

Fun fact: if the UP were part of Wisconsin and the Florida panhandle were part of Alabama, Trump would have lost.

I'm not having fun and this fact isn't helping :mad:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Family Values posted:

Missouri is such an oddball when it comes to regional categorization. North of the Missouri River it's indistinguishable from Iowa, so putting it with the plains states kind of makes sense. South of the Missouri River and especially the Ozarks is indistinguishable from Arkansas and it wouldn't be crazy to categorize it as the South. Then the eastern edge of the state and especially St. Louis is as rust belt as it gets and fits with the midwest.

Congrats. You've figured out that state lines feel arbitrary. But beware - it's a gateway drug. Soon you'll be making your own maps based on your personal opinions and giving the new states ridiculous names.

My fever dream for first level administrative areas.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

xrunner posted:

Congrats. You've figured out that state lines feel arbitrary. But beware - it's a gateway drug. Soon you'll be making your own maps based on your personal opinions and giving the new states ridiculous names.

Watersheds are the complete opposite of "personal opinion".

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Whiz Palace posted:

Using them as borders for administrative areas - as opposed to any of the countless other options - is though.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Family Values posted:

Also the worst parts of the Civil War happened there, things that we don't usually associate with American history.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Family Values posted:

I grew up in Missouri, and it's definitely an oddity. STL is the western most eastern city, KC is the eastern most western city, everything north of Moberly is the plains, south of Moberly and north of Jeff City is the Midwest, and south of Jeff City is the South.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

https://twitter.com/USEnergyAssn/status/981169910653988868

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Whiz Palace posted:

LMAO welcome to the Trump Era

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Next up: Putin tells Trump he has to stop the Nazis from taking over the world.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

xrunner posted:

And why exactly do you think water resource areas make good first level administrative areas.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Grape posted:

And why exactly do you think water resource areas make good first level administrative areas.

The usual argument is that regions will not have to make water-sharing agreements that are likely to create ecologically damaging incentives.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

The usual argument is that regions will not have to make water-sharing agreements that are likely to create ecologically damaging incentives.

That, and also it's far less likely (although as you can see from the map still possible) to split urban areas into multiple top level jurisdictions like we currently have going on. Population centers tends to develop along waterways, so it's pretty idiotic to use waterways as borders unless you want to split the population. This avoids that and puts the borders up in the least populated areas.

I mean, it's not perfect but I think it would work out better than what we have. Obviously you'd want to get rid of non-proportional representation in the Senate at the same time, but if you're already somehow redrawing state lines that's not really a huge problem.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

xrunner posted:

Population centers tends to develop along waterways,

you're not wrong, but industrial era cities sometimes develop at the borders of watersheds because the ridgelines that delineate them are excellent places for railroads

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ekuNNN posted:

Percentage of people who believe their country is headed in the right direction, January 2018.

:china:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

wait hang on

something seems off

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

xrunner posted:

That, and also it's far less likely (although as you can see from the map still possible) to split urban areas into multiple top level jurisdictions like we currently have going on. Population centers tends to develop along waterways, so it's pretty idiotic to use waterways as borders unless you want to split the population. This avoids that and puts the borders up in the least populated areas.

This is assuming a very pre-modern profile of how the US population density actually is, yes waterways explain the foundations of just about every urban center. But the growth of metro areas do not follow along that same logic, especially into the age of the interstate system. Or the information economy for that matter.

This isn't at all matching up to the idea of Megaregions for instance, where people have actually mapped how these areas are interconnected population wise.
http://www.america2050.org/megaregions.html

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Grape posted:

This is assuming a very pre-modern profile of how the US population density actually is, yes waterways explain the foundations of just about every urban center. But the growth of metro areas do not follow along that same logic, especially into the age of the interstate system. Or the information economy for that matter.

This isn't at all matching up to the idea of Megaregions for instance, where people have actually mapped how these areas are interconnected population wise.
http://www.america2050.org/megaregions.html

Sure. It's not perfect, and I think there are areas it breaks down - especially the northeast and the great-lakes/ohio and the gulf coast. But It ties control of one of the most contentious cross border resources together with a broad overlay of population and cities. I'm not going to go to war or anything over what amounts to a never-going-to-happen-neat-idea in my head, but I think it would resolve a lot more organizational problems than it would introduce. :shrug:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

boner confessor posted:

you're not wrong, but industrial era cities sometimes develop at the borders of watersheds because the ridgelines that delineate them are excellent places for railroads

Woah, got some examples? I'm big into trains and watersheds and never heard of this.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

wait hang on

something seems off

Vilnius Is Polish Clay

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

The best comment on that USEA map: "please note the polish corridor to the Baltic sea is disputed, and so is Danzig's status."

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Made in 1967 apparently

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Family Values posted:

Kentucky and to a lesser extent Texas are similar to this too.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

xrunner posted:

Not just your personal opinion!

The New Republic posted:

The map is so beautifully and colorfully executed that its message could easily be lost, but Powell was deadly serious about his proposal. The arid west, he insisted, ought to be organized not by the logic of the grid or existing state boundaries, but by the far more important and influential fact of watersheds. All decisions about settlement and politics must flow from these units; everything else was secondary. Within these water districts, Powell even speculated that the people themselves must be given cooperative control of the resources. Overly idealistic perhaps, but entirely understandable in an era where rampant speculation meant that railroad and other corporations were increasingly in control of the best and most arable tracts of land.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

Woah, got some examples? I'm big into trains and watersheds and never heard of this.

atlanta exists where it does because it's at the intersection of a north-south railroad from chattanooga to savannah, and an east-west railroad following the eastern continental divide. originally the rail infrastructure was going to be in the town of decatur, georgia but the residents there rejected the plan as rail hubs were full of people of loose morals, so the hub was moved a few miles west and welp

there are other examples along less prominent watershed divides - technically chicago is along one of these divides as well as well as the chicago portage but chicago is the site of multiple economically advantageous geographical features

really if you look at any railway town that developed as part of the expansion of train infrastructure, and that railway is not following a river or other hydrological cut, then chances are there's some hydrological divide going through town

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

CaptainRightful posted:

The best comment on that USEA map: "please note the polish corridor to the Baltic sea is disputed, and so is Danzig's status."

This would be funnier had I not personally had a similar issue. I was backpacking in Europe five years ago and met a woman from Poland who said she was from Gdansk and asked if I knew where it was.

I pondered for a second: "Gdansk.... oh! Danzig!"

That was somewhat awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

icantfindaname posted:

Made in 1967 apparently

Until the ratification of the Warsaw Treaty in 1972, virtually every map made in Germany showed it in the borders of 1937 (normally the areas east of the Oder-Neiße line were marked with "under Polish/Soviet administration"), and even then this change came only after heavy resistance by the powerful expellee associations (whose maps continued to show the 1937 borders anyway). IIRC my school still used some old maps with the old borders shown when I went there during the late 90s/early 00s.

That said, your map was pretty clearly made by one of the expellee associations or another organisation lobbying for a return of the eastern areas.