Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I think I've finally gotten to a point where I don't think about the S3 ending every single day.

It’s one of those endings that gets an initial reaction out of you (in my case being “what the gently caress seriously?”), but then the dread and loneliness of it all just seeps into you over time. It’s really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A probably insignificant, but interesting observation: Chester Desmond goes about his business an awful lot like Dale Cooper in the final episode.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Festival of Disruption just announced. Really want to go

edit: i am going

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 9, 2018

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

A probably insignificant, but interesting observation: Chester Desmond goes about his business an awful lot like Dale Cooper in the final episode.

I always thought that Chris Isaak did a REALLY good job of playing a character who was (intentionally) supposed to actually BE PLAYED by Kyle Maclachlan in the initial conception of the film(s) that FWWM ended up being. Lynch originally wanted to do three films - one about the Theresa Banks investigation, one about the last week of Laura's Palmer life, and one that took picked up where season 3 left off. Of course, we all know what DWWM ended up being (a truncated version of the first idea both awkwardly and charmingly tacked onto the full realization of the second concept). Correct me if I am wrong on this, but I distinctly remember hearing/reading about it.

So anyway, I always really admired Chris Isaak for playing this Special Agent Chester Desmond who's almost like an Alternate-Universe version of Dale Cooper, except he's got his own quirks and is totally his own person and character entirely. That is hard to do it is not easy to play a slight variation on an iconic character and not make it seem forced or like a ripoff. Chet Desmond was always a pretty goddamn interesting and mysterious dude in his own right; I really liked him. He had his own M.O., y'know?

kaworu fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 8, 2018

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Sam Stanley stole my heart.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Sam Stanley stole my heart.

He knew how much it was worth

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Oh my baby! You poor Twin Peaks thread, all the way back on Page 3! :sad:

Seriously though, I actually was reminded of Twin Peaks in a very strange way. I was listening to the most recent Bob Dylan studio album this morning (called Triplicate he released it about a year ago). It's his third straight album of doing old American standards from the '40s and '50s - the kind of stuff that all the 'Crooners' - but *especially* Frank Sinatra - would get famous for singing. Dylan tends to pluck out more obscure ones, but it's a bit interesting of course because Dylan has been primarily known for and celebrated as a songwriter, so him releasing 3 straight albums of essentially 'tin-pan-alley' era songs is deeply ironic (and intriguing) on multiple levels. Especially because like 50+ years ago Dylan himself single-handedly led the revolution that made Tin Pan Alley largely obsolete - the whole idea of popular musicians writing their own songs was largely unheard of when Dylan came along except for some very notable exceptions (Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, etc) who were notably very inspiring to Dylan.

ANYWAY, I should probably make this relevant to TWIN PEAKS, so here's the funny thing: Dylan still thinks in terms of Vinyl when he makes albums and prefers to just translate that literally to CDs as much as he can. Triplicate is of course a triple album - 3 LPs, and thirty total songs with precisely 10 songs on each LP - each one contains about ~30 minutes of music give or take.

A reporter asked him about this precise setup, and Dylan (who has really only gotten weirder and more impenetrable as time goes on) had this to say: "[Dylan] explained that 10 is the number of completion, a lucky number, 'symbolic of light.'" This gave me pause and made me want to check something; I went back and looked through the official studio albums he had released, and sure enough, 8 of his last 10 albums have precisely 10 songs on them each. The number of Completion.

OK so to bring it back to Twin Peaks, that IS something that Gordon and Dale agree upon in that climactic scene at the police station. If you add up 2+5+3, you get 10 - "the number of completion". I had *never* heard that phrase used before, and the article where Dylan used the phrase WAS from March 31 2017; before the show ever aired.

So where does this really come from, this "10 is the number of completion!". I find it odd that Bob Dylan and David Lynch, well, take it seriously... but who the hell knows O_o

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Wow, Bob, wow

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That post sent me down a google wormhole trying to find the answer to the number of completion thing and I still have no idea

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

it's something they tell you about when you become a celebrity

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its a quote from Ben...10!!!!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I was just browsing through a thrift store and saw this cassette. At first I thought "that kind of looks like Mother from Twin Peaks." Then I saw what tape it was :monocle:

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

That post sent me down a google wormhole trying to find the answer to the number of completion thing and I still have no idea

I think it's an ancient Chinese/Taoist thing? I visited China last summer and every temple guide mentioned this--the temples are full of objects in groups of 9 because the emperor was the closest to perfection/godliness that you can be on earth, or something.

edit: it mostly went something like this https://www.quora.com/Is-the-number-10-considered-lucky-in-China

quote:

Number 10 is rarely used in Chinese culture to symbolize anything because 10 is considered a "full" number. Chinese culture value moderation (中庸之道), meaning too much can be just as bad as not enough. We also believe cycle of life, whatever goes up will go down. If you reach the peak, you will only decline. Number 10 is a peak number, so reaching 10 is not a good thing, it is the best you can get and the beginning of your downfall.

Bolded the part that seemed interesting with respect to the end of S3.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, thanks for the info. That’s interesting as hell.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

quote:

Number 10 is rarely used in Chinese culture to symbolize anything because 10 is considered a "full" number. Chinese culture value moderation (中庸之道), meaning too much can be just as bad as not enough. We also believe cycle of life, whatever goes up will go down. If you reach the peak, you will only decline. Number 10 is a peak number, so reaching 10 is not a good thing, it is the best you can get and the beginning of your downfall.

Time and Time Again. Going up and down.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 21, 2018

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

hmm looks like I'll have to watch twin peaks again

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Wow, thanks for actually looking into that, guys. That meaning fits as perfectly as a little missing jigsaw puzzle piece, even if we don't quite know what the meaning is we know that it does fit in with the series and the ideas being explored.

Also, given Dale Cooper's interest in Tibet, this all made me want to go look up the number 10 from the perspective of Tibetan Buddhism - which is a personally interest of mine. I went to a college called Naropa once, which was the only accredited Buddhist university in America at least then. Anyway, I took classes on writing and Buddhism for a few semesters, specifically Tibetan Buddhism from an historical perspective which interested me a lot more than learning about the modern more practical aspects of Buddhism many classes focused on.

Anyway, as ANYONE who has studied Buddhism at all can attest, there are a great deal of numbers. There's three of these and 10 of those and 7 of that and it's a bit overwhelming initially.

So I did a quick google search on the numerology of Tibetan Buddhism and found some fairly interesting articles by people well schooled in the Dharma. Here's the explanation of the various and meanings of the numeral 10:

quote:

The number 10 is probably one of the three most important numbers in Buddhist compilations, the other two being 3 and 5. We will begin with the “10 Precepts”, the minimum number that each member of the clergy sitting here on the tatami has taken in achieving their current position.

10 also refers to the “10 Hindrances to Enlightenment”, otherwise known as the “10 Fetters”. Included among the fetters are conceit, restlessness and ignorance.

Contrasting with the preceding listing, there are the “10 Good Deeds or Meritorious Actions”. Representative of these are non-greed, non-hatred and right views.

A set of powers ascribed to a Buddha differing from the “12 Psychic Powers” mentioned earlier is described in the “10 Powers of a Buddha”. These powers confer on him knowledge of various aspects of existence.

The “10 Great Disciples” refer to the Buddha’s most famous disciples, including the first two Indian patriarchs of the Zen lineage, Mahakasyapa and Ananda.

Finally, in the Zen tradition the “10 Oxherding Pictures” utilize an artistic metaphor for the path of meditation and the attainment of enlightenment.

This made me want to check out the meaning of the numbers 3 and 5, because obviously 2:53 is consistently very important throughout season 3. 5 wasn't very interesting, but what he had to say about the numbers 3 and 2 were pretty fascinating to me:

quote:

The number 3 also refers to the triloka or the “3 Worlds” or the “3 Realms” of existence. These are the Desire Realm, the Form Realm and the Formless Realm.

All Buddhas manifest themselves in “3 Bodies” or the Trikaya: the Truth Body, the Body of Bliss and the Emanation Body.

There are “3 Roots of Evil”, namely greed, hatred and delusion. All negative states of consciousness are ultimately grounded in one or more of these.

The “3 Characteristics of Existence” are suffering (dukkha), impermanence (anitya) and no permanent self (anatman).

Most of the above teachings are found within the “3 Baskets”, or the Tripitaka, of the traditional Buddhist canon.

Not to ignore Zen, there are the “3 Pillars of Zen”: the constituent elements of teaching, practice and enlightenment.

2 represents our mundane understanding of reality, as reflected in our focus on duality. There are also the ”2 Truths”, relative truth and absolute truth, the former referring to mundane reality and the latter to transcendental reality.

Some of this is... Well, I would call it 'religious claptrap' largely, but I also know that Lynch believes in some of these very strongly, and it truly is a fascinating point of view to look at the series from.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
So 10, 3 and 5 are important numbers? And you say there are 18 episodes in The Return? Hmmm.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Flyinglemur posted:

So 10, 3 and 5 are important numbers? And you say there are 18 episodes in The Return? Hmmm.

Most importantly, 1+8=9, which is apparently as close to completion as you can get without some serious hubris.

If we've only arrived at a single peak number so far, then there is clearly room for a second peak number, though. :pray:

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

And More posted:

Most importantly, 1+8=9, which is apparently as close to completion as you can get without some serious hubris.

If we've only arrived at a single peak number so far, then there is clearly room for a second peak number, though. :pray:

A "twin" peak number if you will

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Here's a neat little thing: https://rhinostew.itch.io/david-lynch-teaches-typing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrH0HUMOX7U

Stolen from the comments: Those "nubs" on the F and J keys are the Spiritual Mounds. You think about that, kiddo.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

And More posted:

Here's a neat little thing: https://rhinostew.itch.io/david-lynch-teaches-typing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrH0HUMOX7U

Stolen from the comments: Those "nubs" on the F and J keys are the Spiritual Mounds. You think about that, kiddo.

I was already aware of this, but my face lit up as soon as I recognized supergreatfriend's voice! Here is another plug for his amazing Let's Play of Deadly Premonition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFpYKx9m3NU

A recommended watch for any twin peaks fan, even if you aren't into video games. SGF has some killer commentary and DP is a very refreshing homage to TP.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

eSporks posted:

I was already aware of this, but my face lit up as soon as I recognized supergreatfriend's voice! Here is another plug for his amazing Let's Play of Deadly Premonition.

Yeah, usually I would have just posted a walkthrough without commentary, but in this case, I think the game is funnier with his deadpan humour.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
God help me, I'm going to do a second attempt at sitting through episodes 10-20 of Season 2. Last time I made it ten seconds into Grace Zabriskie's talk with Cooper in episode 10 before I dipped out.

"Every part of me needs to be there [...]"

:rolleyes:

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

MoaM posted:

God help me, I'm going to do a second attempt at sitting through episodes 10-20 of Season 2. Last time I made it ten seconds into Grace Zabriskie's talk with Cooper in episode 10 before I dipped out.

"Every part of me needs to be there [...]"

:rolleyes:

I think it's ultimately worth it, especially with season 3 to buttress it. Taken as a whole, it's a period of great wrongness that proceeds Cooper's trip into the black lodge.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
also, there's james being intolerable

and really way too much dick tremayne

and harry moping about josie

and that super hosed up racist poo poo with mr takamura

and also there's a whole thing about windom earle murdering a hippie and turning him into a chess piece.

also cooper wears a really stupid shirt

but nadine becomes she-hulk and gordon cole makes out with shelly, so it's not all bad.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You can never have too much Dick.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Diane Keaton's episode is legit great, but only as a capstone to the 5-6 before it.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

also there's a whole thing about windom earle murdering a hippie and turning him into a chess piece.

Not a hippie, but Ted Raimi just trying to get a beer, man!

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Quote-Unquote posted:

Not a hippie, but Ted Raimi just trying to get a beer, man!

He's credited as "Heavy Metal Youth".

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Dick should have been the mayor in The Return.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Raxivace posted:

You can never have too much Dick.

This is the only correct opinion. Many of the season 2 storylines drag on way too long but the Dick one is golden all the way through.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Star posted:

This is the only correct opinion. Many of the season 2 storylines drag on way too long but the Dick one is golden all the way through.

While we're talking about dicks, I just got to the part of the season three Making Of where Lynch goes through that sex scene in episode two. When he starts talking about how he's gonna hit them with his blue balls :golfclap:

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

moist turtleneck posted:

I don't understand why they were watching her in high school

Probably because the CIA, NSA, military, every sports org, etc, has scouts in high schools and they do this IRL.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The Making Of is just too perfect:

David Lynch posted:

Who gives a loving poo poo how long a scene is?

and also

David Lynch posted:

Can you make your noise, Alden? Can you make your noise? Alden, if you could start crawling on the floor and making some noise, that would be so beautiful. See if you can crawl and be crying. Cry for me. Crawl on the floor and cry like a little baby. Can you do that, Alden? Can you cry out like a little baby for the film? It’d be so beautiful. Crawl over there and crawl around and cry like a baby. See… real loud. Can you do it? Can you do it? Crawl and cry like a baby. Alden, do that thing. That would be so beautiful. That’s great. Like that. Can you make noise? Make some crying noise. Some sad loud crying noise. Don’t be happy. Don’t be happy. That’s too happy. Too happy. Roll around and be upset. There you go. That’s beautiful.

:allears:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/bown/status/987608354481737728?s=21

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Oh man, that's neat. I like that every part of it has curtain printing on it. Where did you buy it?

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

The Record Store Day exclusive Twin Peaks picture records turned out amazing. Anyone else here get them?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Festival of disruption Brooklyn edition is coming up soon. Should be cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Thought some of you might be interested in this Log Lady documentary:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/historyofcool/i-know-catherine-the-log-lady?ref=490949&token=6e2d3204

I haven't been able to take a look at it much since I'm at work, but it might be cool.