Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Where are you located?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Where are you located?

North Carolina - how specific are you asking?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
We used my husband's great grandmother's diamond from her engagement ring, and had it re-set. Diamond was free (I mean, an extremely sentimental and irreplaceable gift), and total cost of my engagement ring plus wedding band was about $700. I brought the jeweler about ten pictures of designs I liked, and he came up with something totally unique and matched it with a pre-existing vintage wedding band. If there's anyone in your family that has old diamond jewelry and would be willing to part with it for the engagement ring, it feels amazing to have a diamond with some family history.

My husband's ring has damascus steel and was like $900. This was the company we got his ring through, but we got an in-store discount for getting both our rings at the jewelers':
https://stonebrookjewelry.com/collections/damascus-steel

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

black.lion posted:

North Carolina - how specific are you asking?

That's good enough. I was going to suggest a great jeweler if you were in northern CA!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Me: I don't see the point is spending a whole bunch of money on some loving rocks to use as centerpieces when we can just go to the beach and pick some up ourselves.

Also me: Hey babe I just dumped a whole bunch of money on chemicals and other supplies so I can get our rocks sparkling

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

black.lion posted:

Thanks for the responses y'all!

I want to get her a diamond just because, I don't know, this is the one part of "tradition" my stupid lizard brain really wants to adhere to.

That "tradition" was manufactured entirely by DeBeers so they could continue to decimate nations and cultures with murder and slavery. That's the only basis for it. This was less than 100 years ago.
The only diamond tradition is marketing and direct human suffering.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Scudworth posted:

That "tradition" was manufactured entirely by DeBeers so they could continue to decimate nations and cultures with murder and slavery. That's the only basis for it. This was less than 100 years ago.
The only diamond tradition is marketing and direct human suffering.

This is a better explanation than my "just don't get diamonds they're awful" but it's the same reason.

Seriously just...don't get diamonds unless you're really, truly sure your partner wants one.

Moissanite are space rocks! (well, kinda (no meteorites were harmed in the making of this post))

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Koivunen posted:

My husband's ring has damascus steel and was like $900. This was the company we got his ring through, but we got an in-store discount for getting both our rings at the jewelers':

Wow so these are gorgeous, thanks so much

It sure would be nice if there were some heirloom diamonds floating around, I'll certainly check it out

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That's good enough. I was going to suggest a great jeweler if you were in northern CA!

Haha yeah that's a bit of a long drive, thanks for the thought tho

Renegret posted:

Me: I don't see the point is spending a whole bunch of money on some loving rocks to use as centerpieces when we can just go to the beach and pick some up ourselves.

Also me: Hey babe I just dumped a whole bunch of money on chemicals and other supplies so I can get our rocks sparkling

Me: Wedding traditions are stupid lets just eat eachothers blood and file taxes separately forever

Also me: If those bitches get diamonds you're getting a diamond too! MY BABY DESERVES THE BEST

e: Y'all, I appreciate that diamonds are not a must-have thing wrt wedding rings, and support other people not getting diamonds and all the reasons why; but for reasons i won't go into as i don't want to provide more points of argument, I'm getting her a diamond.

black.lion fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 29, 2018

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

black.lion posted:

Where would I start, if I wanted to shop stones first and worry about metal around it second? How could I determine what a "reasonable" or "good" price is? I'm lost completely (obviously) but I'm drat determined to get a good deal, because that will be even MORE of a gift for her (she absolutely loves sales and coupons and the like, its almost a problem... but not yet so I'm encouraging and playing into it until it's pathological)

Others have recommended brilliant earth; I got my fiancee's diamond there separately, and my brother got his wife's ring there set and everything. They have good customer service and a solid return policy. IMO the prices are acceptable but I might be less price sensitive than others. I got an SI2 diamond which had a pretty nasty inclusion on it, sent it back for a VS2 and they replaced it free of charge (they even paid the return overnight shipping).

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

black.lion posted:

2. Do jewelers expect you to know wtf you want precisely? Because right now I have a Pinterest board filled with "rings she likes" and I'm trying to figure out how to translate that into instructions. In my head I'm hoping it's like tattoo artists, where I can bring in pictures and say "do something like this" - but tell me how I should go about this for best results, please and thank you.

3. Can someone post some super dope men's wedding bands? I have no idea what I want I just want to start thinking about it.
2. This is basically what I did. Had to talk to a couple people before I found one that I liked, but the one that I went went with worked with me to turn my wife’s “Here’s what I like in a ring” into an actual ring. We looked through their work together and brainstormed some ideas and went through a couple rounds of designs and molds. I even got to cast it there myself which is probably her favorite part of the ring.

It was super helpful that I knew her must-haves in addition to her Pinterest board type stuff.

3. Looked at the jeweler’s previous work. I opted to do our wedding bands together after the fact at the same place. This way everything matches, I got help designing my band, and it was fun to do together. Casting each other’s bands was cool too.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm pretty new to the thread so idk how often this has been thrown around but there's nothing wrong with just showing the jeweler the pinterest board so that they can get an idea. Depending on your relationship there's also nothing wrong with going ring shopping together and letting her pick out her own ring. She's the one who has to wear it, really it's the only fool proof way to make sure she's happy.

My fiance and I are both terrible at keeping secrets and hiding things from eachother, so we decided to just not even try. We went ring shopping together, she picked out the ring then went away so I could talk money with the jeweler. Had the ring sized right then and there, and she never saw it again until I proposed. The proposal itself wasn't even a surprise, we're boring people.

Originally I was going to do some plain white gold or titanium for myself but dammit now I want one of these. I wonder where I can find them locally.

fuuuuuuuuuuck we're 4 months out and there's so much left to do ughhhhhhhh

Renegret fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Mar 30, 2018

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Renegret posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuck we're 4 months out and there's so much left to do ughhhhhhhh

There's going to be so much left to do right up until 10 minutes after its started

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

There's going to be so much left to do right up until 10 minutes after its started

And it won't get done and it will be fine.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I fully except that it won't be done for months after, too.

I'm already dreading meeting with the photographer to do the albums.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
That’s why I started planning a year ahead and I’m still overwhelmed.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Honestly I've found the process pretty easy. It took me a couple months to nail down all the vendors, my save the dates are out, the invitations are ordered, etc. The trick is just not caring about details that don't matter like colors or decoration or flowers. Nobody remembers any of that.

We still have the marriage counseling stuff with the pastor, and she needs to do the fittings for her dress when it's done (we're getting it made by a tailor). At some point we need to come up with a seating chart I suppose.

re: wedding bands the idea of a non-yellow one seems weird to me so I'm just getting a bog standard 14k yellow gold band. It's just what I associate in my mind when I think "wedding ring."

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 30, 2018

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's been 2.5 months since our wedding and we've only quickly scrolled through our wedding photos on our phones like once. Haven't even started paring them down.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I just never really thought about planning a party and the things associated with it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm getting married in October and it feels like there isn't that much stuff to do. Am I wrong?

Or maybe she's taking care of everything.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Koivunen posted:

We're thinking about wedding rings and my partner has always wanted something more unusual than the standard plain band so thanks for this! He's really enjoyed being introduced to this style and I think it's stunning too. It's got me wondering whether damascus steel can be shaped to fit my engagement ring too...

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I'm getting married in October and it feels like there isn't that much stuff to do. Am I wrong?

Or maybe she's taking care of everything.

You might want to make sure she isn't taking care of everything / doesn't want help.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Bollock Monkey posted:

We're thinking about wedding rings and my partner has always wanted something more unusual than the standard plain band so thanks for this! He's really enjoyed being introduced to this style and I think it's stunning too. It's got me wondering whether damascus steel can be shaped to fit my engagement ring too...

For similar variety of styles but different material, I got a ring from Boone titanium rings. Great guy, great service.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

You also can get great stuff on random Etsy shops. I got a nice hammered rose gold band for pretty cheap there.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Three months to go.

Have most things in place, just cake left to sort, along with a long list of small admin-y things.

Slightly balked at having to pay £600 for a registrar to marry us, but hey ho, needs must.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Mortabis posted:

... a synthetic one that's good because they're cheaper and they have more consistently good cut.

It all depends on what you're looking for. You can find great cuts in both mined & synthetic material.

The big difference between the two types of diamonds on the market now is residual value. Synthetic diamonds & Moissanite make fine engagement rings. But they're worth practically nothing secondhand and prices are still dropping as production increases.

Diamonds have a dependable market & have been traded for centuries. You won't get the original retail price when you sell a $20,000 engagement ring, but having an insurable asset that's easily convertible to $10-15k when you need it is valuable to some people. Everyone has different goals when they buy jewelry.

But like everything, you need to know what you're buying so you don't overpay.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
From everything I’ve heard you won’t get nearly what you’ve paid or what the diamond is worth if you attempt to resell. You’re likely to get more for the metal than the stone.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

From everything I’ve heard you won’t get nearly what you’ve paid or what the diamond is worth if you attempt to resell. You’re likely to get more for the metal than the stone.

I can't say what stories you've heard, but the secondhand diamond market is extremely competitive. But like anything, shopping around to get a few different offers is always a good idea.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We did visual comparisons and it seems that (in 2D mockups) that diameter of stone matters more than carat. I personally can't tell the difference in sparkle between shallow and deep cut and deep cut seems to add a tremendous amount of cost for very little benefit. Are we looking at this the wrong way? Long-term, people seem to care about the visibility (visual size) of the stone, rather than the exact carat (volume?), especially 6+ months after the wedding. It might help that we're in the tail-end of our group of friends getting married, so everyone is pretty fatigued about wedding crap at this point.

JohnnyRnR posted:

esidual value. Synthetic diamonds ...worth practically nothing secondhand and prices are still dropping as production increases.

Diamonds have a dependable market & have been traded for centuries. You won't get the original retail price when you sell a $20,000 engagement ring, but having an insurable asset that's easily convertible to $10-15k when you need it is valuable to some people.

I read all sorts of things about how diamonds are worth next to nothing on the second hand market... what makes a diamond second hand, is there visible damage to the stone typically, and where can you buy these stones at such cheap prices exactly?

I think we're planning on getting a 9mm diameter circle cut (which is about 1.75-2 carat) loose and then combining with ring seperate. If we could chop the price of the stone down from $12-15k to $7k by going "used" synthetic that is fine by us, but not finding anything on google (actual items for sale, deliverable) that matches the devaluation claims. If we could get a $20k "new" stone for $10k cash "used" as you're describing above, we would probably jump on that.

Anyways, links to any sort of reputable secondhand markets would be fantastic if they will save us the 25-50% claimed.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 25, 2018

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I spent £3000 on an engagement ring and whilst my fiancée absolutely loved it in retrospect it was too much money and she has said she would’ve been happy with any ring, regardless of price. Don’t be an idiot like me and get sucked into an idea, if it’s a really expensive idea!

Just over a month until our wedding, just under a month until we fly out for it, time is moving so fast it’s crazy!

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I read all sorts of things about how diamonds are worth next to nothing on the second hand market... what makes a diamond second hand, is there visible damage to the stone typically, and where can you buy these stones at such cheap prices exactly?

I think we're planning on getting a 9mm diameter circle cut (which is about 1.75-2 carat) loose and then combining with ring seperate. If we could chop the price of the stone down from $12-15k to $7k by going "used" synthetic that is fine by us, but not finding anything on google (actual items for sale, deliverable) that matches the devaluation claims. If we could get a $20k "new" stone for $10k cash "used" as you're describing above, we would probably jump on that.

Anyways, links to any sort of reputable secondhand markets would be fantastic if they will save us the 25-50% claimed.

Most folks are talking about selling to the secondhand market, not buying from it. The person buying the stone / ring has overhead and a profit to make, so while folks end up selling rings for 50% or less of purchase price, the reseller is never going to turn around and resell it for that low price. So that might be loving up your calculation?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Hadlock posted:

We did visual comparisons and it seems that (in 2D mockups) that diameter of stone matters more than carat. I personally can't tell the difference in sparkle between shallow and deep cut and deep cut seems to add a tremendous amount of cost for very little benefit. Are we looking at this the wrong way? Long-term, people seem to care about the visibility (visual size) of the stone, rather than the exact carat (volume?), especially 6+ months after the wedding. It might help that we're in the tail-end of our group of friends getting married, so everyone is pretty fatigued about wedding crap at this point.

Three little bears. If you want the sparkliest stone, go with a round diamond with a nice cut (not too deep, not too shallow; ideal proportions reflect the light better). If you want a wider stone, you can go with a pear or marquise.

“Sparkle” was my number one priority, so I went with a smaller stone with nice cut/clarity. It’s really sparkly and pretty easily catches light and makes cool reflections all over the place. Going with the smaller stone gave me more budget to breathe easier when we went to have our bands made. Everybody is pretty happy with the situation.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

black.lion posted:

3. Can someone post some super dope men's wedding bands? I have no idea what I want I just want to start thinking about it.

Those damascus steel bands that someone else posted were cool, but if you want something gold one thing to think about is engraved patterns on rings. I really wanted a gold ring, so that it was obviously a wedding ring, but I didn't want a plain gold band or a hammered one, e.g.

I ended up looking forever though to try to find one that did not look like some poo poo from Lord of the Rings, had no religious symbols, and that was also not too stereotypically 'feminine' (i.e. not all flowery). The prices I see on Etsy for this particular style are pretty nuts. My ring looks like it was probably manufactured the same way as the second of those two pictures, and it just cost its weight in gold (±$350?) while that specific one is like $1700 on Etsy.

Or, if you're Greek:

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
On the big day, make sure to get photos done of your rings; not only can it be very pretty, it's good for insurance purposes.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
I did a good amount of work for a high end event company if anyone has questions about that stuff.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Richard Bong posted:

I did a good amount of work for a high end event company if anyone has questions about that stuff.

What's the thing people waste the most money on? (Photographer here, so for me it's the cake knife. Can't see it in pictures and usually forgotten anyway.)

What was the absolute weirdest thing that needed to be purchased for one of the events?

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Writer Cath posted:

What's the thing people waste the most money on? (Photographer here, so for me it's the cake knife. Can't see it in pictures and usually forgotten anyway.)

What was the absolute weirdest thing that needed to be purchased for one of the events?

Out of season floral. Especially when it is an integral part of your wedding decoration plan. There are always in season options that look just as good but people get hung up on a specific flower and pay tens of thousands more to have it all over. I have seen so much money wasted on that alone. When planning your floral out, definitely look up what is in season for your date and work from there. Granted this is high end so a 30’ wall of boxwood mixed with an out of season flower and then 4’ diameter ball arrangements on tables really add up.

You can easily get a small amount of out of season floral mixed with in season filler for not too much more money if you’re doing your own smaller wedding.

The weirdest prop we had to buy was probably the life sizes horses. It’s not so weird in context because it was a western themed event, but digging through a dark storage area and stumbling on a horse looking you in the face is never not startling.
Or it was the giant vases that looked like butt plugs. I don’t know if it was the sales person or the client but we had like 3‘ high shiny butt plug shaped vases. I giggled like a 13 year old every time I saw them. They look a lot less obvious with huge palms and foliage coming out the top though.

I know this is a dumb question, but what is the cake knife deal? Did they really make expensive cake knives a wedding ~thing~?

Of course the answer is yes because it’s for a wedding, but drat.

I only did decor stuff so the food related stuff I just have a passing familiarity with.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Richard Bong posted:

I know this is a dumb question, but what is the cake knife deal? Did they really make expensive cake knives a wedding ~thing~?

Of course the answer is yes because it’s for a wedding, but drat.

Lot of times the knives will be engraved with the date of the wedding or the couple's initials. It's a bit of an older tradition, but it was a ~thing~ for a while. Most of the time, they were left behind anyway :shrug:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Writer Cath posted:

Lot of times the knives will be engraved with the date of the wedding or the couple's initials. It's a bit of an older tradition, but it was a ~thing~ for a while. Most of the time, they were left behind anyway :shrug:

Didn't realize which thread I was for a second and was like "that's kinda badass, engrave two knives for a married couple so they can defend themselves togeth...oh wait"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Writer Cath posted:

Lot of times the knives will be engraved with the date of the wedding or the couple's initials.

shhhhh be quiet don't give my fiance any ideas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Renegret posted:

shhhhh be quiet don't give my fiance any ideas

It's important to have a set for every guest.