Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Concept art for post - neuromod redeye.

Ouch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I played through the game with very few psych powers, what made a big difference for me was weapon upgrades. They don't look like that much just looking at the numbers but once I dumped a bunch of upgrade kits into the shotgun the difference was very, very noticeable.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

dogstile posted:

On my playthrough i didn't use the Q beam (you had to take damage to use it, gently caress that) so I ended up using the shotgun and grenades for everything. Pistol was used solely to plink away at fuckers at a machine gun pace from a distance. My clicking speed it obscene at this point, pretty sure i'm going to ruin my mouse.

No you don't?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
You do have to keep fire on target instead of jumping in and out of cover like say the shottie, but that's a problem gloo can solve.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tumble posted:

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory had a good lockpicking minigame

It works for that because part of the risk/reward is having to pick a lock in an area with active guards. Lockpick/hack minigames that pause the game are incredibly pointless.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

No you don't?
Until I got it fully upgraded I found that using it was a liability compared to pretty much any other weapon because the movement slowdown while firing made me take more damage than I would have otherwise.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It works for that because part of the risk/reward is having to pick a lock in an area with active guards. Lockpick/hack minigames that pause the game are incredibly pointless.

Dying Light has this as well. Bethesda's lockpick minigame but without the pause.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Concept art for post - neuromod redeye.

Ouch

Well that's extremely disconcerting.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Until I got it fully upgraded I found that using it was a liability compared to pretty much any other weapon because the movement slowdown while firing made me take more damage than I would have otherwise.

You can fire the Q-Beam either from a very long range where you're way more safe or you can also fire it in bursts just like any other weapon.

Although to be fair, I mostly used it on big targets from long range.
Or from stealth where I would do about 50% damage with Q-Beam and then the other 50% with some other method once detected.

Incessant Excess posted:

How am I supposed to deal with military operators? I put all my points toward being able to fight well with my shotgun and those guys are an enormous drain on my resources. Are you supposed to just run past them? I really hate this part of the game.

Upgraded Stun Gun one-shots them if I remember correctly.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Upgraded Stun Gun one-shots them if I remember correctly.

I don't think it does. It's strong against them, but not quite oneshot. I think I just hacked a few of them and let them fight each other.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mymla posted:

I don't think it does. It's strong against them, but not quite oneshot. I think I just hacked a few of them and let them fight each other.

It's a one shot kill if you get a sneak attack on top.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kibayasu posted:

No you don't?

I can either sneak up, pop someone with the shotgun, duck behind cover, pop out, shoot them again.

Or i can stand there like an idiot with the Q beam (outside of very specific circumstances) and get damaged.

Failing that it was far slower to kill until you got it fully upgraded and at that point I had superpowers so i'm very much "meh" on the weapon.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 5, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I mean, yeah, its a terrible weapon to use for sneak attacks. It's a really good weapon to use against tele/techno-paths that have already spotted you but are still across the room.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

If I recall correctly the Q-Beam does damage to each enemy based on their health as a percentage between 100 and 0 instead of actual hit points. It ticks for X percent whenever the beam is on target, and when the Q beam reaches 100%, or its target's current health as a percentage, whatever it's hitting dies. This means that as far as the Q-Beam is concerned a mimic has as much HP as a Technopath, but it also means that a Technopath has as much HP as a mimic. It's really bad against the regular guys like mimics and phantoms and it's great for the tougher targets.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
It takes *exactly* all your Q-gun ammunition to blow up a Nightmare that's across the map. Quite handy.

Also, if you aren't doing the alien mods in this game you're really missing something. There's nothing quite like turning into a "Wet Floor" sign then mind-wrecking a Nightmare that's standing right over you confused as hell.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Remulak posted:

It takes *exactly* all your Q-gun ammunition to blow up a Nightmare that's across the map. Quite handy.

Also, if you aren't doing the alien mods in this game you're really missing something. There's nothing quite like turning into a "Wet Floor" sign then mind-wrecking a Nightmare that's standing right over you confused as hell.

One thing that confused me was January says there may be "other consequences" for installing Typhon mods. Other than turrets shooting you, does anything weird happen?

I'm doing an all-human mod run for my second go. I regret during my first playthrough not turning into a coffee cup to freak out the survivors in the cargo bay.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

48 Hour Boner posted:

One thing that confused me was January says there may be "other consequences" for installing Typhon mods. Other than turrets shooting you, does anything weird happen?

Acute diarrhea. Unfortunately, cut together with all the other Trauma system features.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

48 Hour Boner posted:

Installing neuromods can trigger a Nightmare spawn, but I think that happens with human mods too, not just typhon type

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Anybody know how to move my pc/steam saves over to xbone?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

That's not possible for the large majority of games unfortunately.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

turn off the TV posted:

If I recall correctly the Q-Beam does damage to each enemy based on their health as a percentage between 100 and 0 instead of actual hit points. It ticks for X percent whenever the beam is on target, and when the Q beam reaches 100%, or its target's current health as a percentage, whatever it's hitting dies. This means that as far as the Q-Beam is concerned a mimic has as much HP as a Technopath, but it also means that a Technopath has as much HP as a mimic. It's really bad against the regular guys like mimics and phantoms and it's great for the tougher targets.

Unless I misunderstand, this wasn't the case for me. Firing the Q-Beam at mimics filled their HP bar green and blew them up almost instantly for almost no ammo. Fully upgraded, I had to fire about 1.2 charges at Nightmare to make it pop.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

I don't think it works like that- the Q-Beam specifically says it's good against mimics, and indeed, it pops the little bastards in under a second. They die much much faster than a telepath, technopath, or nightmare would to a Q-Beam.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Really? I could have sworn that I wrote it off on mimics or the boil things because it did such terrible damage to them, but it murdered telepaths incredibly quickly. Maybe I was just able to unload on the bigger guys more easily because I usually stun them first.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I think I tried the Q-beam out like once or twice, judged it to be poo poo and recycled it.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i used it for zero g areas against big enemies. otherwise the shotgun was so much more visceral and satisfying to use. i hope for at least one more ballistics weapon in the dlc and that it gives anywhere near the same feeling of impact.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Aside from big guys the Q-Beam is actually absolutely excellent against Weavers who are otherwise a pain to fight even though they're not that dangerous. Pops them pretty quick.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Basic Chunnel posted:

Installing neuromods can trigger a Nightmare spawn, but I think that happens with human mods too, not just typhon type

Also the Nightmare still triggers even if you go with zero mods. Initially I was surprised by that but then I looked at it from the Typon's POV: Here's some squishy human with zero enhancements... and SHE'S KICKING OUR rear end!?! :gonk:

So of course they call in their big brother to bail them out. Then watch it die too :smug:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

bewilderment posted:

Aside from big guys the Q-Beam is actually absolutely excellent against Weavers who are otherwise a pain to fight even though they're not that dangerous. Pops them pretty quick.

I like it against Weavers, get those bastards from a distance.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Jerusalem posted:

Also the Nightmare still triggers even if you go with zero mods.

Yes, even with zero mods or all-human mods you'll meet the Nightmare 4-5 times over the course of the game. The extra spawns from Typhon mods are pretty obvious, since they happen right after you spend some neuromods and close the character screen.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I can't say for sure because I wasn't really looking for it but I can't ever remember getting a Nightmare spawn after using neuromods, even if it was a bunch of them at once. Maybe I always managed to use a lot of them immediately after killing it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The Q just does constant damage over time. If you partially fill up a health bar with green and then damage it down to that point, the enemy will die as if you had Qed it to death entirely. Unless the green goes away after awhile (which I never saw happen) there is no functional difference between the Q and any other laser gun

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Digirat posted:

The Q just does constant damage over time. If you partially fill up a health bar with green and then damage it down to that point, the enemy will die as if you had Qed it to death entirely. Unless the green goes away after awhile (which I never saw happen) there is no functional difference between the Q and any other laser gun

The green does fade down.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

I can't say for sure because I wasn't really looking for it but I can't ever remember getting a Nightmare spawn after using neuromods, even if it was a bunch of them at once. Maybe I always managed to use a lot of them immediately after killing it.

It's only Typhon mods, I was convinced it didn't work because I was using normal mods but if you slam a bunch of Typhon mods into your eyeball all at once you can force a spawn.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Game needs a sniper rifle with a detecting scope. I know it's gonna irrelevant a lot of weapons, but hell I don't have to use it all the time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Haven't really thought about how DLC could expand the arsenal.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Flamethrower. Everything's better with flamethrowers (though arguably the q-beam is kind of similar). Alternatively, a weapon similar to the ripper from original unreal tournament

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rinkles posted:

Haven't really thought about how DLC could expand the arsenal.

I have a feeling that the sentient rifle is making its official appearance.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Give me some magnetic boots for "walking" around the station exterior.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

double nine posted:

Alternatively, a weapon similar to the ripper from original unreal tournament

As much as I love the Ripper and as much as the original UT has a space permanently in my heart, I feel like that's a really bad idea on a space station or a moonbase. It might also feel a little stylistically weird in a game where everything is clean white plastic, modern and sleek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

aniviron posted:

As much as I love the Ripper and as much as the original UT has a space permanently in my heart, I feel like that's a really bad idea on a space station or a moonbase. It might also feel a little stylistically weird in a game where everything is clean white plastic, modern and sleek.

There's an unused model and lines in the script for the Disc Rifle.

The little racks of discs around the levels were probably going to be ammo for it at one point. It had a side quest where it decided that it disliked its fate as a weapon and would eventually ask you to kill it and lots of lines referencing the game's ending.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 7, 2018