Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
So I looked through my logs and the server is doing a lot more transcoding than I thought it was. When doing 1 at a time the transcodes are throttled, I'm still not sure how many I can support at once. Given that there's a lot more transcoding happening than I thought and it would be impractical to encode for all formats and players in advance I am probably just gonna get a new machine at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dren posted:

It’s an AMD Opteron from 2007. Dual-core :smuggo:

Hook this up to a kill-a-watt for a week. You might be spending more on electricity in a year than a new system costs.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

H110Hawk posted:

Hook this up to a kill-a-watt for a week. You might be spending more on electricity in a year than a new system costs.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding TDP but the TDP of my chip is 110W. If I tried to maximize passmark per W and got an Intel 7700T with a TDP of 35W and a passmark score of 9227 that's about a third of the power consumption. But if I estimate that I'm pulling my max TDP 6 hours a day at 14c/kWh then I'm only gonna save $20/yr with the new chip.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Dren posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding TDP but the TDP of my chip is 110W. If I tried to maximize passmark per W and got an Intel 7700T with a TDP of 35W and a passmark score of 9227 that's about a third of the power consumption. But if I estimate that I'm pulling my max TDP 6 hours a day at 14c/kWh then I'm only gonna save $20/yr with the new chip.
Old CPUs don't manage their low power states as well as modern chips. But even then I don't think it'll be hundreds of dollars of savings.

EDIT:
e.g. I estimate the Opteron 165 (socket 939, the generation before yours [AM2?]) idles at 60W based off this. Huh - that's kind of amusing how a loaded modern CPU uses less power than an old chip at idle.

Anyway if we assume 60W idle, 110W load (4 hours), ballpark at 550kWh/year compared to 5W idle, 35W load ballparked at 80kWh/year is $66 difference at 14c/kWh

lurksion fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 4, 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Yea the power bill thing is dumb. Turn down your air conditioning if you want to save actual money.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dren posted:

*shrug* Sometimes old systems draw more than you expect. A lot of other things use power inside of a system, PSU's have gotten more efficient, etc. Modern systems idle at shockingly low numbers. Do you own a kill-a-watt? I'm curious what your actuals are for that computer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Days where my nest logs that it didn’t use AC are a blessing.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

H110Hawk posted:

*shrug* Sometimes old systems draw more than you expect. A lot of other things use power inside of a system, PSU's have gotten more efficient, etc. Modern systems idle at shockingly low numbers. Do you own a kill-a-watt? I'm curious what your actuals are for that computer.

I ordered one. I’ll post about it in a week or two once I get a chance to run it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I have a two part documentary I can't get to properly show up on Plex. It finds the metadata only if I put it in the movie library but it stacks both parts and doesn't let you play part two. Is there a way to force it to show up in the TV library and then manually fill in the metadata?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

You could name it Title.1x01.mkv and Title.1x02.mkv and just have it pick it up as a season of something and fill it in yourself.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Housh posted:

I have a two part documentary I can't get to properly show up on Plex. It finds the metadata only if I put it in the movie library but it stacks both parts and doesn't let you play part two. Is there a way to force it to show up in the TV library and then manually fill in the metadata?

In this sort of situation, I've had pretty good luck with naming files *.cd1 and *.cd2. That makes it show up as 1 video and it'll play as 1 video.

EDIT: *.cd1.avi and *.cd2.avi, sorry

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

You could name it Title.1x01.mkv and Title.1x02.mkv and just have it pick it up as a season of something and fill it in yourself.

This kinda worked. It was labeled Part 1 and Part 2. I just made it s01e01 etc and it picked it up under TV and even filled in the metadata.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Dren posted:

So I looked through my logs and the server is doing a lot more transcoding than I thought it was. When doing 1 at a time the transcodes are throttled, I'm still not sure how many I can support at once. Given that there's a lot more transcoding happening than I thought and it would be impractical to encode for all formats and players in advance I am probably just gonna get a new machine at some point.

A "throttled" transcode is actually a good thing, FYI; it means you can perform the transcode faster than real-time so the system can spend time idling. That being said, for multiple reasons as previously discussed it's going to be in your best interest to get a more modern system.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Picked up one of the 4k Apple TVs today. Bought the MrMC app, with the plex for kodi plugin its direct playing my stuff. So far so good. This touch remote is going to take some getting used to though.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Just curious, why that instead of the actual Plex app?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Shawn posted:

Just curious, why that instead of the actual Plex app?

So I guess I haven't actually tested this myself but before I bought this I've read the official Plex app will transcode almost everything on Apple Tvs.

The motivation for switching to an apple tv is that I was using a FireTV but have a sub to Youtube TV. The amazon/google feud means no youtube tv app on that and trying to use their browser as a workaround stinks. I'm already in the apple ecosystem so went with them rather than a shield.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 5, 2018

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

phosdex posted:

So I guess I haven't actually tested this myself but before I bought this I've read the official Plex app will transcode almost everything on Apple Tvs.

The motivation for switching to an apple tv is that I was using a FireTV but have a sub to Youtube TV. The amazon/google feud means no youtube tv app on that and trying to use their browser as a workaround stinks. I'm already in the apple ecosystem so went with them rather than a shield.

It plays most things as direct stream which isn't really transcoding.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Audio is where the tvOS player that Plex uses is the main issue, whereas the video streams it deals with OK for pretty much everything I throw at it (note: I only have the previous generation, so I don't know about how well it handles 4K/HDR x265 content. I mainly play 1080p content, remuxed Blu-ray Discs at most).

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

EngineerJoe posted:

It plays most things as direct stream which isn't really transcoding.

Yeah all my media plays as Direct Stream in the ATV. Uses very little CPU.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Welp checked the Plex app and yeah it's direct streaming my stuff so don't listen to the idiots in the Plex subreddit I guess.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

phosdex posted:

Welp checked the Plex app and yeah it's direct streaming my stuff so don't listen to the idiots in the Plex subreddit I guess.

They dumb dumbs.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
OK so this is really pissing me off. We run the official Plex app on our PS4 Pro and unless we set it to play at only 720p we get hitches and buffering every 5-10 seconds, movies take 10-30 seconds to load, fast forwarding or rewinding takes 15-20 seconds to start playing again, etc.. Any computer and any laptop in the house runs perfectly at original bitrate.

Every movie is mp4, h.264, AAC audio, so the PS4 should be able to direct stream, and in fact Tautulli does indicate that the streams are being direct streamed. Am I hosed? Do I need to buy a Roku or something?

Does anyone else experience this?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Oldstench posted:

OK so this is really pissing me off. We run the official Plex app on our PS4 Pro and unless we set it to play at only 720p we get hitches and buffering every 5-10 seconds, movies take 10-30 seconds to load, fast forwarding or rewinding takes 15-20 seconds to start playing again, etc.. Any computer and any laptop in the house runs perfectly at original bitrate.

Every movie is mp4, h.264, AAC audio, so the PS4 should be able to direct stream, and in fact Tautulli does indicate that the streams are being direct streamed. Am I hosed? Do I need to buy a Roku or something?

Does anyone else experience this?

Don't have a PS4. Is yours connected wirelessly or with a wire?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

astral posted:

Don't have a PS4. Is yours connected wirelessly or with a wire?

We have 2, one is wired, one is wireless. Both exhibit the same behavior.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Oldstench posted:

We have 2, one is wired, one is wireless. Both exhibit the same behavior.

I'd probably blame the PS4/PS4 plex app at that point and recommend getting a Roku (Streaming Stick+ is pretty great for wifi, but double check supported formats and stuff just to make sure it meets your needs).

See also: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/142670/buffering-got-you-down-read-here -

quote:

The PS3/4 (4 especially) is computationally fast enough to handle higher bitrate media but the memory available for buffering is too low. This is the primary cause of "Buffering..." in my estimation.

If you're playing at too high a quality, you're gonna have to turn the quality down.
A NAS may not have the horsepower to transcode / remux streams for PS3/4 depending on the source material.

I'm concerned with you seeing buffering on <= 8Mbps videos. Similar issues we've run into on other platforms are usually caused by a system library which wasn't written or isn't configured to work with enough media format disparity.

The only way we'll fix this is to be able to identify commonalities and reproduce the issue.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

astral posted:

I'd probably blame the PS4/PS4 plex app at that point and recommend getting a Roku (Streaming Stick+ is pretty great for wifi, but double check supported formats and stuff just to make sure it meets your needs).

See also: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/142670/buffering-got-you-down-read-here -

Hmm. That sucks. Especially seeing as I can stream 1080p on YouTube, Amazon, Netflix, etc. with no problem. Seems like a bullshit excuse to blame it on the PS4 and not shittily-written software.

Thanks for the help. Guess I'll try a Roku.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Bone S is another example of a console that you think will be a solid Plex client, then let’s you down in daft ways.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Bone S is another example of a console that you think will be a solid Plex client, then let’s you down in daft ways.

My OG Bone can't play DVR recordings from my local NBC affiliate for no discernable reason.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
the nvidia shield tv is a fantastic plex box/server

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Mad Wack posted:

the nvidia shield tv is a fantastic plex box/server

It's also $200 and I already have a server...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Oldstench posted:

It's also $200 and I already have a server...

Specs of your server?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Core i5 750 (2.67GHz).

Like I said, it works fine for everything but the PS4. Here's a new wiggle, apparently my router/modem is dual channel. I stuck my PS4 pro on the 5GHz channel and now it doesn't buffer anymore. Weird.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Oldstench posted:

Core i5 750 (2.67GHz).

Like I said, it works fine for everything but the PS4. Here's a new wiggle, apparently my router/modem is dual channel. I stuck my PS4 pro on the 5GHz channel and now it doesn't buffer anymore. Weird.

Protip to help eliminate wifi - grab a 50 or 100' ethernet cable off monoprice and anytime wifi is in the mix and you are troubleshooting throughput/stuttering/quality problems in general (not just plex) string the cable between the device and the router then retest. If it works fine it's wifi if not continue troubleshooting.

I know it feels like it should just work if things like Netflix are working but those apps are highly optimized, something plex will never be across all platforms. Especially ultra proprietary ones like game consoles. Netflix has custom encodings for every possible platform that needs one that is tuned for those platforms. Your description of the encoding is not even a scratch on the surface of the tuning that goes into streaming video encoding. (I don't mean that in a bad/mean way. )

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
Re: Hardware chat - ICYMI GPU-accelerated decoding is a PlexPass thing.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

Oldstench posted:

Here's a new wiggle, apparently my router/modem is dual channel. I stuck my PS4 pro on the 5GHz channel and now it doesn't buffer anymore. Weird.

Not at all weird. The 5Ghz band has lower latency, is not as crowded, has higher bandwidth, and offers better transfer robustness than 2.4Ghz.

No one should be trying to stream video on 2.4Ghz these days unless wifi density in the area is low enough that a site survey reveals only 1-3 AP's that aren't yours.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ProjektorBoy posted:

Re: Hardware chat - ICYMI GPU-accelerated decoding is a PlexPass thing.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

I did already touch on that...

Atomizer posted:

Hardware transcoding is now a thing (via QuickSync and NVENC) so you could potentially add a cheap nVidia GPU to your current setup and transcode on the fly with that.

...although it's interesting at least from the priority table in that link that QuickSync is preferred over NVENC as an encoder. I'm not actually sure which would be better to use first, but I do recall users specifically complaining that the former produces noticeably artifacted output (as designed, speed at the expense of quality) and I haven't heard the same about the Shield output, for contrast.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Quick Sync can produce decent video quality with good speed. The file isn’t especially small (I was producing 840MB half hour shows after cutting commercials) but for an on the fly conversion over a local network that would certainly do.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Atomizer posted:

I did already touch on that...

...although it's interesting at least from the priority table in that link that QuickSync is preferred over NVENC as an encoder. I'm not actually sure which would be better to use first, but I do recall users specifically complaining that the former produces noticeably artifacted output (as designed, speed at the expense of quality) and I haven't heard the same about the Shield output, for contrast.

They mention near the end of the article that the nvidia driver limits you to 2 encodes at once whereas quicksync is limited only by the hardware (4-7 1080p streams depending on quality). I'm guessing that's where their preference comes from. And from reading the dev thread on the forum it seems like they started w/ quicksync, adding NVENC later on.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Intel Quicksync is supported on a hell of a lot more devices too.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
Anyone using an Odroid C2 with OpenPHT? Looking for an upgrade from my Pi3 that can handle h265/4K but I’ve seen a lot of anecdotal reports of audio sync issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Is this thread Plex-specific, or do you guys do Emby too? (or is there another thread that would be better for that?)

AFAIK neither Plex or Emby has support for offloading encoding to another machine on the network, right? I wonder if you could set up the Emby server as a NFS host and SLURM cluster head-node, and then alter the ffmpeg encoder command so it launches the job onto the SLURM worker nodes instead of locally... that might be a way you could scale to higher numbers of streams at the same time (I don't really need this, just interesting).