Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

I wouldn't go that far but aLttP is so loving overrated.

LoZ 2 is the best zelda game
Counterpart: aLttP Randomizer races are way more fun to watch than they have any right to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_4lDh2vu5U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Actual opinion: If your recommendation for a game that your audience isn't already looking into includes "just make sure you install these 10 fan-made patches" then gently caress off

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

signalnoise posted:

Actual opinion: If your recommendation for a game that your audience isn't already looking into includes "just make sure you install these 10 fan-made patches" then gently caress off

I dont really get what youre talking about here, the discussion in the last page has been about DOOM wads and LTTP which are both fantastic games in thier own right and dont need patches or mods, people have just played them to death for so long that they invent new ways to play them.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

old beast lunatic posted:

Once upon a time I played some wad that had like every single enemy and weapon from every 2.5 D shooter ever randomly sprinkled around my doom maps. All the serious doom guys hated it but I thought it was rad as hell.

All those serious map guys loved that poo poo the first time they played it, theyre just one trick ponies.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
the best cs map was de_jeepathon2k

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Last hitting is a stupid mechanic. Especially in how the 'difficulty' of the mechanic is driven by mostly just hero choice.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Luckily I don't have to say this anymore about NWN 1, since most everything that you "needed" to run the game at highest quality is now on the Steam Workshop.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

a bone to pick posted:

The more realistic a game is, the more exponentially boring it becomes: inspired by this video from crowbcat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCeEvQ68jY8

Far Cry 2 had a bunch of neat little details that Far Cry 5 does not have. Do they make the game better? On the contrary. I remember constantly dealing with bushfires, gun jamming, the stupid map system, and being stuck in stupid animations; all those little details just made the game a drag to play and I never finished the game because I got sick of it.

Also, graphics that chase realism never hold up as well as games that have their own style.

Are you implying that the latter FC games are better? (I haven't played 5, but 4 was mind numbing)

FC1 is the best FC game.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I actually haven't been able to complete one Far Cry game besides the first one because they are so monotonous and uninteresting.

everything I've heard and seen about FC5 points to really big improvements, especially the mario-maker-type thing they have going on for custom maps.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

FC1 is the best FC game.

It is. The trigens made you change up your game halfway in, and that's a good thing.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Far Cry 2 owns

edit: well gently caress me for reading this thread before the steam one

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 4, 2018

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I think if the steam thread is having the exact same discussion with the same tone, same opinions and frankly, the same posts that the videogame opinion in question is in fact not unpopular and you guys might be masturbating here.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

a bone to pick posted:

The more realistic a game is, the more exponentially boring it becomes: inspired by this video from crowbcat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCeEvQ68jY8

Far Cry 2 had a bunch of neat little details that Far Cry 5 does not have. Do they make the game better? On the contrary. I remember constantly dealing with bushfires, gun jamming, the stupid map system, and being stuck in stupid animations; all those little details just made the game a drag to play and I never finished the game because I got sick of it.

Also, graphics that chase realism never hold up as well as games that have their own style.
Another example of this is Red Orchestra 1 and 2. The push to make the sequel more "realistic" made it less fun.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I feel like the modern Far Cry games are a lot of fun for like, an hour. Then it's just pure repetition for the next 10+ hours. Clear outposts, do some dull as poo poo quest. Fight the same braindead soldiers forever. Wow, now some of them have slightly more armor but are otherwise exactly the same

Repeaaat

I feel like Far Cry games would be way more fun with weirder enemies and guns so you could get more varied challenges and more dynamic world content

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Fartbox posted:

I feel like the modern Far Cry games are a lot of fun for like, an hour. Then it's just pure repetition for the next 10+ hours. Clear outposts, do some dull as poo poo quest. Fight the same braindead soldiers forever. Wow, now some of them have slightly more armor but are otherwise exactly the same

Repeaaat

I feel like Far Cry games would be way more fun with weirder enemies and guns so you could get more varied challenges and more dynamic world content

This is why blood dragon is my favorite. It's pretty short and I had fun clearing everything. The 90's video game box art made into a real game was a fun gimmick too. Good poo poo.

The "choices" in farcy 4 just annoyed me. Hey Anita, Sabal... how bout you both shut the gently caress up I don't care. I still did enjoy the exploring and murdering part but it went on for so long I just didn't give a poo poo about the story anymore.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

I think if the steam thread is having the exact same discussion with the same tone, same opinions and frankly, the same posts that the videogame opinion in question is in fact not unpopular and you guys might be masturbating here.

boy its a good thing you showed up or we might have continued talking about stuff wrong. thank god the thread police showed up just in the nick of time

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

This is why blood dragon is my favorite. It's pretty short and I had fun clearing everything. The 90's video game box art made into a real game was a fun gimmick too. Good poo poo.

The "choices" in farcy 4 just annoyed me. Hey Anita, Sabal... how bout you both shut the gently caress up I don't care. I still did enjoy the exploring and murdering part but it went on for so long I just didn't give a poo poo about the story anymore.

The secret ending should have been the legitimate start of an alternative playthrough, instead of an easter egg. The rebels loving sucked-

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
stealth is better than bandanna and meryl was annoying anyways :colbert:

*hits select before ocelot even hits the juice*

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

I dont really get what youre talking about here, the discussion in the last page has been about DOOM wads and LTTP which are both fantastic games in thier own right and dont need patches or mods, people have just played them to death for so long that they invent new ways to play them.

Not talking about that obviously, this is for people who never heard of like say Jagged Alliance and some guy is like ya know what you would like???? But oh yeah make sure you install all these mods!! Here's the gamefaqs page!!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
How dare you recommend a way to make a game better.

What do you mean, change game settings, do I look like a computer engineer scientist nerd?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

a bone to pick posted:

I wouldn't go that far but aLttP is so loving overrated.

LoZ 2 is the best zelda game

It’s actually one of the Miyamoto’s least favorite apparently. Not that he hates it, but he said that most of the other games evolved during the process or they made creative discoveries and built on that, whereas Zelda 2 is literally the exact game they intended from the start and he found that disappointing.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Metal Gear Solid 3 was the peak of the MGS series, in fact, it might be the only good MGS.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

signalnoise posted:

Not talking about that obviously, this is for people who never heard of like say Jagged Alliance and some guy is like ya know what you would like???? But oh yeah make sure you install all these mods!! Here's the gamefaqs page!!

With older games sometimes stuff like community patches is the only way to get them to run on modern hardware. Also stuff like Fallout 2, which is legit a legendary game but I think still has this bug where if you put too much stuff in your car's trunk the game crashes and corrupts all your saves. Might as well get that unofficial killapp patch for that

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

That's cool and all but gently caress casual recommendations for that if I don't already express an interest in it

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

a bone to pick posted:

Metal Gear Solid 3 was the peak of the MGS series, in fact, it might be the only good MGS.

I don't think this is that unpopular except for people who think the Psycho Mantis fight was the peak of their childhood.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Far Cry 3 had the best ending where you kill ur friends and get hosed to death by the titty witch.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

No, this is right. I like others in the series but MGS3 really has the fewest flaws and the most cohesive experience in every aspect.

thecommodore64
Jun 9, 2010

Colonel Cancer posted:

Far Cry 3 had the best ending where you kill ur friends and get hosed to death by the titty witch.

Far Cry 4 had the best ending where you didn't decide to murder hundreds of people based on a snap judgement of a guy you just met.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I love the Far Cry games just as they are. If one came out every year I would buy it and 100% it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

thecommodore64 posted:

Far Cry 4 had the best ending where you didn't decide to murder hundreds of people based on a snap judgement of a guy you just met.

But that's some pacifist run bullshit :shrug:

Farcry 3 makes it all worth it when you kill the previously immune to bullets yuppies who think they are your friends

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

All my friends just want to know when the next Blood Dragon is and don't give a poo poo about Far Cry proper.

I feel like there should have been an end boss fight in it that never happened but it immediately revived the Miami Connection soundtrack after that so all is forgiven

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

thecommodore64 posted:

The new far cry also has an ending like that

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

a bone to pick posted:

ive never played 3 which is maybe why I think all MGS games are bad

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Zigmidge posted:

ive masturbated before and this isnt it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

steinrokkan posted:

Are you implying that the latter FC games are better? (I haven't played 5, but 4 was mind numbing)

FC1 is the best FC game.

I'm gonna SHOOT you in the FACE!!

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017

sebmojo posted:

I'm gonna SHOOT you in the FACE!!

hey buddy. chill out OKAY?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Colonel Cancer posted:

Farcry 3 makes it all worth it when you kill the previously immune to bullets yuppies who think they are your friends

One of which got pretty molested by a handsome australian

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

far cry 5 is good and the cult is a fun antagonist group, and the leaders of the cult look like an indie band

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

a bone to pick posted:

MGS2 is also a stellar game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Meme Emulator posted:

MGS2 is also a stellar game

Nah it's anime garbage.

Second best MGS game is revengeance