Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
"Now there's some take delight in the carnage of the trollin'
And others take delight in the hoarding of the stolen"

I really liked this part, imagining trolling to be this dramatic thing worthy of song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Any indication that Easter will be an xp weekend?

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002
Starting a crushbone group if anyone’s interested.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Meatgrinder posted:

Any indication that Easter will be an xp weekend?

It’s looking like those godless heathens don’t care that Jesus died for their sins.

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.

Toxx posted:

Starting a crushbone group if anyone’s interested.

Good group, thanks!

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002

Tewdrig posted:

Good group, thanks!

It was a good time!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Hit leave 9 on my Paladin.

The amount of friendly people on this server who are willing to help newbies is pretty dope.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Ehud posted:

Hit leave 9 on my Paladin.

The amount of friendly people on this server who are willing to help newbies is pretty dope.

What race did you go with? I've got some Erudite cultural armor to the first Paladin who can craft it from my materials.

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260
Dinged 19 on my rogue Gregarin last night, and managed to pick up 5/55 ring number 2! Feels pretty good! We were in MR in unrest and it was my first “real” grouping with the rogue with backstab and fully-leveled double hit/dual wield and a decent weapon and HOLY poo poo it was fun. Set my backstab record at a cool 98 damage :clint:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
If rogues weren't so rear end at soloing I'd totally try one

my enchanter's feeling kinda dull, but that's probably because I'm just 18 or so

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Pillow Armadillo posted:

What race did you go with? I've got some Erudite cultural armor to the first Paladin who can craft it from my materials.

I can't check the Wikis at work. Steelsilk is reasonably easy/cheap to make compared to the equivalent cultural plate stuff for High/Dark elf and Dwarf right? Granted you have to level tailoring which is a different kind of fresh hell compared to blacksmithing, but you can also farm a lot of the raw materials to do so yourself rather than having to buy thousands of platinum worth of ore for smelting.

ptothebtothek
Nov 6, 2009

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I have my smithing up to 140 or so. Looks like I need about 168 for trivial on the cultural. I'll see if I can squeeze out some points tonight without wasting too much or my PP.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I’m a Dwarf :sad:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

please knock Mom! posted:

my enchanter's feeling kinda dull, but that's probably because I'm just 18 or so

if enchanter is dull to you, I definitely wouldn't suggest playing a rogue.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

DeathSandwich posted:

I can't check the Wikis at work. Steelsilk is reasonably easy/cheap to make compared to the equivalent cultural plate stuff for High/Dark elf and Dwarf right? Granted you have to level tailoring which is a different kind of fresh hell compared to blacksmithing, but you can also farm a lot of the raw materials to do so yourself rather than having to buy thousands of platinum worth of ore for smelting.

Steelsilk requires a drop from a single rare spawn in SRO, as well as purified mana which costs four rubies and 1000 mana per vial. The imbued stuff is really nice though, but I'd recommend leveling smithing to trivial that first.

Also, tailoring is much more time consuming and expensive than smithing because of the SOV tailoring gap. Only halflings and wood elves can sort of bypass that gap, but it's really annoying for everyone else. Mid-tier smithing you can farm up high quality ore in SolA, and high-end smithing only really requires leather padding which is abundant in EC.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Vargs posted:

Grouping is most always going to be more fun than solo.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Guys I have like 125pp on my level 11 Dwarf Paladin.

What kind of newb equipment should I look for to get the most bang for my buck?

I’m using a rusty bastard sword lol

ptothebtothek
Nov 6, 2009

Ehud posted:

Guys I have like 125pp on my level 11 Dwarf Paladin.

What kind of newb equipment should I look for to get the most bang for my buck?

I’m using a rusty bastard sword lol

I can make you some banded armor to start off with. For a cheap 1hs I'd grab a Green Jade Broadsword (can get for as low as 50pp) or Sword of Skyfire (~100pp) and use that until its starts its AoE proc. I should be on either Lidrath or Samuk when I am around.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

ptothebtothek posted:

I can make you some banded armor to start off with. For a cheap 1hs I'd grab a Green Jade Broadsword (can get for as low as 50pp) or Sword of Skyfire (~100pp) and use that until its starts its AoE proc. I should be on either Lidrath or Samuk when I am around.

That would be awesome! I’ll add you to my friends list. I’ll be back on tomorrow night.

I’ll keep an eye out for those weapons as well.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vargs posted:

It's just as slow at the start as I remember.

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260

please knock Mom! posted:

As a rogue it’s fun to get naked and sneak around dungeons you’ve never been to and it’s pretty much the best thing

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Anarch posted:

Steelsilk requires a drop from a single rare spawn in SRO, as well as purified mana which costs four rubies and 1000 mana per vial. The imbued stuff is really nice though, but I'd recommend leveling smithing to trivial that first.

Also, tailoring is much more time consuming and expensive than smithing because of the SOV tailoring gap. Only halflings and wood elves can sort of bypass that gap, but it's really annoying for everyone else. Mid-tier smithing you can farm up high quality ore in SolA, and high-end smithing only really requires leather padding which is abundant in EC.

I thought the smaller terrorantulings could also drop it, not just the big fucker himself.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

DeathSandwich posted:

I thought the smaller terrorantulings could also drop it, not just the big fucker himself.

As of the server now, only big daddy drops it

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
I have about 10 Terrorantula silks on hand, and can supply 12 rubies this evening towards the cause.

EvilGibson, Anarch, Tewdrig, Chairman Mauzer, FayGate - your prizes are in EC pending pick-up. Tonight ~10pm GMT-5 will be my only opportunity to log-in this week.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I have about 10 Terrorantula silks on hand, and can supply 12 rubies this evening towards the cause.

EvilGibson, Anarch, Tewdrig, Chairman Mauzer, FayGate - your prizes are in EC pending pick-up. Tonight ~10pm GMT-5 will be my only opportunity to log-in this week.

I'll see if I can get an alt in place. Mauzer's still (attempting) to camp AC in OOT.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I'll see if I can get an alt in place. Mauzer's still (attempting) to camp AC in OOT.

I'll be on with my main as Gadock

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I doubt I can get to it until the weekend thanks.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

After reading some guides, I’m thinking of running a Halfling Cleric for my first race / class. How bad of an idea is this?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

sailormoon posted:

After reading some guides, I’m thinking of running a Halfling Cleric for my first race / class. How bad of an idea is this?

The fact at higher levels people do "/who cleric lfg all" before they can think of making a group... It's good

Also halflings have bonus racial exp modifers so you outrace levelling .

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 7, 2018

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The downside is, you'll be a halfling.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

What race should I be instead?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

IIRC High Elf Clerics have awesome inherent magic stats but it doesn't really matter all that much, pick what you're most into (with the exception of the evil races imo)

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

sailormoon posted:

Pick whichever you think looks coolest in plate armor IMO

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

sailormoon posted:

I was joking. I just find halflings hideous. Having hide and sneak as a class that doesn't get traditional invisibility is probably actually very handy.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Dick Burglar posted:

I was joking. I just find halflings hideous. Having hide and sneak as a class that doesn't get traditional invisibility is probably actually very handy.

It's pretty good when in a dungeon with no undead or you sit in a spot where everything never paths towards you to see through sneak.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Ehud posted:

Pick whichever you think looks coolest in plate armor IMO

Which is to say Dark Elf (and we have someone in guild who can make that sexy cultural armor.)

But seriously, Halflings get an exp bonus which is great.

Druids also make great first characters as you'll retain the ability to heal in groups (albeit with less group desirability than clerics) but you also get way more flexibility and utility with a variety of buffs and the ability to solo very effectively. Once you can group port its a reasonable way to make money to gear up too.

ChairmanMauzer fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 9, 2018

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Quote, not edit.

Sigh.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

sailormoon posted:

There really isn't a "bad" option for cleric race (except maybe human). If you play a cleric you will be able to group at all times pretty much no matter which race you choose.

That being said:

-Most cleric races come with a low level quest to get a initiate/disciple's necklace that has various clicky effects.

-Cleric armor is heavy as gently caress, and you're not going to have a lot of strength thrown around in your gear until you get *really* twinked. HIE/DRK/ERU clerics especially will have problems with this.

-Halflings come with innate sneak and hide which is really, really good considering that clerics have no way to do so innately. They also have a exp bonus and level faster than other races. I do not think they have a deity necklace quest though, so you have to do without. They also don't have cultural tradeskills that are really worth mentioning for clerics.

-Dark Elves also come with innate hide, which is still useful even without paired sneak. They also have the best deity neck quest when all is said and done, because it's got the necromancer darkness spell (snare + Damage over Time) as an unlimited use 4 second cast click effect.

-High Elves start in the Faydark and Crushbone is your bread and butter for low levels, you can blow through the first 15 levels relatively quickly without having to relocate away from your newbie quests. Their deity necklace eventually becomes a right click root effect which is really good, but maybe not as good as the Dark Elf effect. They have the lowest innate strength of all clerics and carrying capacity will be an issue.

-Dwarves have all around the most well rounded starting stats for a cleric. You've got the highest strength/stamina of all the cleric races as well as pretty respectable wisdom, so you'll be the sturdiest of the clerics especially before you get yourself decked out. THey have a tactical rolling jump, and their deity necklace summons beer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Halflings have some pretty decent and easy to get racial gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.

sailormoon posted:

If you've played EQ in the past and understand what it means to play a Cleric, then Halfling is a fine choice.

If you've never really played before, then I'd tell you to go with a druid to start off. Druids heal all the time on P99 in groups, or if theres another healer they cast direct damage spells. They can solo efficiently with Charming animals, and that doesn't really require any special gear, my 39 druid is almost entirely still in newbie leathers.

At 24 you can bind in South Karana and run the bread quest repeatedly to Feerrott. This means that you can group if you want to (and you should it's the best part of EQ in a lot of ways), but if there aren't any groups going, you can still make progress. This can actually get you all the way to 40, but at 38/39 it's 1% per turn in and you'll grow tired of it.

Once you hit 34 you can make very nice money porting people around. Just join Dial A Port and in no time you'll gear out your guy with Wisdom stuff, or save up for a Goblin Ring to help with charming.

Druid is so often a suggestion for new players because it let's you really see what P99 is all about from lots of different angles. If you get to 34, which is pretty easy, and decide that all you really want to do is sit in a group and heal, then roll up the Cleric and you still have the druid hop onto and make some money if need be. If you most enjoy the soloing, then maybe you keep the druid or roll a Necromancer. That sort of thing.