Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RareAcumen posted:

How is Infinity War possibly going to be a climactic battle? Shouldn't the answer to the Thanos problem be 'And then Doctor Strange threw him into the Mirror World'?

My guess would be it ends with them collectively losing the battle and Thanos murdering half the universe and then part 2 is the few survivors punking him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My prediction is a bunch of really stupid sounding comic book poo poo will happen that makes no sense.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My prediction is a bunch of really stupid sounding comic book poo poo will happen that makes no sense.

The original made a lot of sense, though.

He goes all mad with power from the gauntlet and turns himself into a giant incoporeal god-being to fight other gods and then Nebula (played in the movies by Karen Gillan) just yanks the glove off his unconscious former body and uses it herself.

It's a good ending. Thanos is dumb. He retires to be a subsistence farmer after the whole debacle.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That all sounds real stupid.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
yeah he should at least become a dentist, he could make some sweet dough

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Checks out.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My only non MCU exposure to Thanos is from the time he teamed up with PTSD Space-Jesus Adam Warlock to fight the Magus an evil Space-Pope who or course turned out to be Adam Warlock from the future having gone insane from everyone he cared about dying fighting Thanos so he traveled back in time to build a powerbase to stop Thanos by any means necessary. Warlock defeats the Magus by traveling to the point in time where he loses all hope and murdering himself. Then a few issues later Warlock just barely manages to defeat Thanos but at a huge cost and then a past-Warlock appears and kills him.

70s comics were fun.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Len posted:

My guess would be it ends with them collectively losing the battle and Thanos murdering half the universe and then part 2 is the few survivors punking him.

As contrived as this sounds, I think they might use a death/rebirth of half the universe to suddenly explaing a bunch of X-men/FF-related characters having a home in the MCU, as well as a number of previously killed villains, as a side effect.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also recasting actors getting too old/expensive/uninterested.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Inescapable Duck posted:

Also recasting actors getting too old/expensive/uninterested.

My favorite recasting was in Stargate Universe where they temporarily brought back Oneill despite the actor being well into the fat+old "gently caress it" phase of life.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
They're going to beat Thanos by shooting a laser at a portal, possibly killing several characters played by actors whose contracts with Marvel are ending.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

JediTalentAgent posted:

We have some TV talk lately, and I have something that bugged me about the end of the story arc to Dragon Ball Super (Universe Survival Arc) that bugged me and I'll spoiler a lot of this because it's so new for people haven't seen it, but a refresher from what I understand to the storyline.

There are 12 universes and essentially Supergod has determined the weakest universes were going to be destroyed because he was bored with them or something. As a compromise, a tournament was being held with survival being a prize for the winning universe. Strongest fighters from every involved universe are brought together to compete.

Universe 7 (our heroes) win and is allowed to use a super wish for anything. They wish for the erased universes to be brought back and it's revealed that this was the ONLY possible outcome since a selfish wish would have resulted in the destruction of the winning universe.

A few things on this:

Now, given the plot point that the reason these universes were selected for destruction was due to their average power levels being so low, and no one wants to upset the God character who destroyed the universes, a 'better' wish (although it would be slightly selfish) would have instead been for 'the contents of the erased universes to be brought back as A PART OF UNIVERSE 7, instead.

It seems like this would solve a lot of issues with the series and this arc's conclusion.
From an in-universe perspective:
It technically preserves God's desire to destroy the universes, but simply is relocating the worlds and people.
With the inclusion of all these super powerful fighters into the ranks of Universe 7, you'd have a stable of several new God-tier fighters in your corner in case this happened again.
You can casually slide characters who are getting too old or getting too outclassed off the board for a while in such an event with more powerful allies.
Expands Beerus' bragging rights.

How the hell are you supposed to combine universes? Do you just mash them together? Some of them are supposed to be divergent pairs with things in pretty much the same space. Does our solar system get a bunch more planets? An extra sun (or two, or three)?

You're not thinking the logistics of this through at all.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

sassassin posted:

How the hell are you supposed to combine universes? Do you just mash them together? Some of them are supposed to be divergent pairs with things in pretty much the same space. Does our solar system get a bunch more planets? An extra sun (or two, or three)?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

sassassin posted:

From the logic of the show, I guess 'universes whose numbers are closest to one another and add up to 13 are most similar to one another' but there were enough differences.

Specifically, Planet Salad exists in Universe 6 and Planet Earth exists in Universe 7, if I recall. There was a wager at one point where Earth was on the line between the two.

Now, with the gimmick going on of Gods of Destruction destroying whole worlds and populations up to that point on a whim, there MIGHT be a such a thing that there has been a gradual whittling down of the universes to begin with, internally. I figured there was a possibility that each of the weaker universes had been depopulated enough that an event like a merging of such universes would bring one universe back up to a 'normal' density or power level of worlds/life.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The CGI in Stranger Things is awful, but the practical effects are fantastic.

Given how much money goes into an episode I figured they could flip a truck for realses.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
It’s especially irritating in a show that contains a scene where a character points out how awesome the practical effects are in John Carpenters The Thing. The bad CGI really took me out of an otherwise excellent period piece.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
If I'm watching a movie on bluray, I don't need a commercial trying to convince me that I should be watching movies on bluray.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ego-bot posted:

If I'm watching a movie on bluray, I don't need a commercial trying to convince me that I should be watching movies on bluray.

Just another reason to try to stick to more serious releases that are aimed more at collectors, like Criterion, Arrow, or collectors edition box sets. They usually don't have any of the annoying adds and they take you straight to the menu.

Like, don't buy John Wick on blu ray, wait until JW3 comes out and buy them all in a big set and it probably will be much nicer and have no ads.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Ego-bot posted:

Discs from Redbox usually have about 15 trailers you have skip one at a time before you even get to the main menu. If it cost anymore than $1.50, I would just pirate it.

And yes I WOULD DOWNLOAD A CAR

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Twitch posted:

They're going to beat Thanos by shooting a laser at a portal, possibly killing several characters played by actors whose contracts with Marvel are ending.

You're probably right. Lasers and punching are how strength is measured, most of the time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Armacham posted:

And yes I WOULD DOWNLOAD A CAR

Irrationally irritating because yeah who loving wouldn't? gently caress, I'd download a shitton of awesome stuff if I could

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In an episode of Bones, Bones formally bows to a Japanese person and she just, she doesn’t, the etiquette and her form and even attitude is all wrong, it’s like she didn’t even do a cursory amount of research

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

oldpainless posted:

In an episode of Bones, Bones formally bows to a Japanese person and she just, she doesn’t, the etiquette and her form and even attitude is all wrong, it’s like she didn’t even do a cursory amount of research

Konichiwowza

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

oldpainless posted:

That show is real dumb but isn't her whole character "autistic but not really"?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

That show is real dumb but isn't her whole character "autistic but not really"?

Yeah. The living are not her concern, hence Boreanaz

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

This is also a character who interrupted a sermon at a funeral with an angry atheist screed. I don't think being a good or polite person is her forte.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

This is also a character who interrupted a sermon at a funeral with an angry atheist screed. I don't think being a good or polite person is her forte.

There was also the best episode where they have it from the corpses POV and suddenly Brennan starts believing in magic or someshit since she's talking to this particular skull, but not the 30,000 she saw before this one. Between the FBI solving every local murder in all of DC and having the greatest magical computer next to the batcomputer that show was massivly stupid even for a police procedural.

As a matter of fact, any police procedural featuring that kind of murder count should have a goddamn superhero involved since any major city with the gotham-esqe body counts these shows depict would need a superhero in order to clean up the streets and more importantly, make these shows more realistic. Its a lot easier to believe in super-tech that is freely available to law enforcement if there is a dude who can throw a car dealing with gang violence and murders.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Bones is actually a low key direct sequel to Angel and all the murders are because of vampires.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Bones doctor actually looks down on people that don't have post grad degrees.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Biplane posted:

Bones is actually a low key direct sequel to Angel and all the murders are because of vampires.

I hope Charisma Carpenter shows up for the series finale then and does some kind of Star Trek Enterprise/St. Elsewhere/Newhart autism spectravaganza

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

oldpainless posted:

More like Oldsonkeiless.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bones had 246 episodes across 12 years. Even if several people die per episode that's probably not that many murders per year.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Bones had 246 episodes across 12 years. Even if several people die per episode that's probably not that many murders per year.

Plus it's D.C., 246 murders is about their annual average.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
260 homicides in the D.C. region in 2017. Unless Bones is dealing with genocide in every episode, I'd say they have a more than adequate supply of murders for their 20ish episodes a year.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought the Bones team only handles specialized cases? They don't really care about a normal homicide. I'm pretty sure they have bodies/remains shipped in from all over the country.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Supernatural will be hitting episode 300 next year. I'm surprised there's anyone left in America who doesn't know about monsters.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Psych might be the worst about this.

I did some quick looking, and Santa Barbara's murder rate is, on average, 2-3. Since their populations is right around 100,000, the city gets pretty much 2 or 3 murders a year.

Yet there's at least 1, often like 2-3, murders per episode. Even if you remove the ones that take place outside of the city, that still puts the murder-rate in the Psych-verse like 10 times what it really is. Probably on par with a city like DC or Detroit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Midsomer Murders and such have enough murders to depopulate their entire setting, I'm sure.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

Midsomer Murders and such have enough murders to depopulate their entire setting, I'm sure.

I've never met anyone from Midsomer, so this checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
New York in the Law & Order shows seems to be the center of every political and social movement along with all their seedy underbellies. Actually that's probably mostly true.