Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Also don't eat rice, even if you think the clot has healed a lot. It was the most nauseating thing having to pick rice grains out of my bloody socket, all the while worrying I'd pop something and make my mouth bleed real bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Big Centipede posted:

I just had dental surgery and went be able to eat solid food for a while. I need some smooth or semi-smooth soup recipes. I have an immersion blender I've never used.

Crockpot or stove top: Pumpkin Curry Soup

28oz of plain canned pumpkin
4C chicken or vegetable broth
1/3C honey
1TBS curry powder (more or less to taste)

Stir everything & heat through. Swirl some heavy whipping cream in the bowl when you serve it.

It is also delicious cold and one of my favorite summer soups. It should be good when chilled if you are worries about breaking up any clots.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It’s alright, I am here to save you all from the mundanity of boring soups, with the greatest soup of all. I mean, of course, broccoli and stilton.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wrong actually the best soup is Indonesian peanut soup.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Big Centipede posted:

I just had dental surgery and went be able to eat solid food for a while. I need some smooth or semi-smooth soup recipes. I have an immersion blender I've never used.

My first week was mainly starvation, but the food I did eat was fermented milk products (kefir, drinking yogurt, etc) and protein shakes. Week two started to introduce barely warm chicken broth but was still mainly the above. I started to think about scrambled eggs after a month or so.

If I had been up to cooking, I would have probably gone with cold soups. Broccoli, asparagus, and Brussels sprouts cooked in broth with thyme, garlic, leeks and blended to a velvety puree, then stir some cream in at serving time. Vichyssoise. Gazpacho. You get the idea. Instead, I was busy being passed out on pain pills. Great way to lose weight, by the way.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 4, 2018

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I ate a lot of pudding when I had a tooth out, it worked well.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Big Centipede posted:

Baby food when you get tired of blenderizing things. I had my jaw wired shut for a few weeks and baby food + instant mashed potatoes are what kept me from dying.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I was not at all joking about blending regular food, btw. It's the best way to get actual protein, and somehow it makes you feel more like a person. Also, blended hot dogs are not unlike pâté.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

I was not at all joking about blending regular food, btw. It's the best way to get actual protein, and somehow it makes you feel more like a person. Also, blended hot dogs are not unlike pâté.

it's hard finding a combination of food to blend that doesn't taste absolutely horrific, though. you can't just throw a turkey sandwich into a blender, blend it and expect it to taste good.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I had a nightmare with blender pizza in it a few nights ago, no joke.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah it's definitely more about blending individual foods imo. Entire turkey dinner, no. Turkey and carrots and potatoes all separate, yes.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm gonna take it slow. The pumpkin soup and peanut soups sound interesting.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This is my favorite easy soup and is also entirely blended. http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Mercimek_Corbasi_-_Turkish_Lentil_Soup

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah it's definitely more about blending individual foods imo. Entire turkey dinner, no. Turkey and carrots and potatoes all separate, yes.

that is actually genius. you could just eat each one pureed separately and sorta have it together.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So I'm making red beans and rice, and the store sells hamhocks in threes. Two went in the pot, but I'm at a loss of what to do with the third.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bootcha posted:

So I'm making red beans and rice, and the store sells hamhocks in threes. Two went in the pot, but I'm at a loss of what to do with the third.

Make more red beans & rice? Stick it in a soup? Cook it with some collards? Stick in the freezer for when you need one down the road?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hauki posted:

Make more red beans & rice? Stick it in a soup? Cook it with some collards? Stick in the freezer for when you need one down the road?

I was just wondering if there was another immediate "oh, make this" recipe that called for a single hamhock.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bootcha posted:

I was just wondering if there was another immediate "oh, make this" recipe that called for a single hamhock.

Pretty much any hearty soup can be improved by throwing a ham hock in with it while it cooks.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ExecuDork posted:

Soupchat: I've got the back and wings leftover in my freezer from a chicken I cut up and fried about a month ago, and I was planning to make soup
Trip report: I made this yesterday - about 10 hours at LOW and another 30 minutes at HIGH and I had a decent, very thick soup (maybe it's a stew?). It was pretty bean-y, because I guess the 1 cup of dried black beans did their job well, and kinda bland but it went well with some buttered bread. No ham or bacon because I got lazy and didn't go to the store to get some. It also made enough for four meals for me, so I guess I'll be farting away my afternoons at work for a few days. I only share my office with somebody who is here one or two days a week and has permanent upper-respiratory-track congestion so I'm not worried.

New question: I have a big bag (maybe 1 kg) of frozen cranberries and I'm moving in a month and need to clear out my freezer anyways. I don't remember why I bought these cranberries, a long time ago. What do you like to do with cranberries?
- Stupid option: I have a food dehydrator, I could shrink them down in a couple of days pretty easily. But I feel like there are better options.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ExecuDork posted:

kinda bland

ExecuDork posted:

No ham or bacon

These are intrinsically related, FYI.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bootcha posted:

I'm partial to split pea soup myself

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

Pretty much any hearty soup can be improved by throwing a ham hock in with it while it cooks.

Would you recommend doing that with hot'n'sour soup? That's my next new recipe attempt.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BrianBoitano posted:

I'm partial to split pea soup myself

My suggestion too.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

aight y’all I got a bunch of sweet potatoes I’m gonna chop up to bake fries

I got:
Chopped garlic
Chili powder
Curry powder
Cayenne powder
Salt
Olive oil
Coconut oil
Various seasonings/basic cooking poo poo

Was thinking I’d toss them in olive oil, salt, garlic, and curry powder; or should I just toss them in oil/garlic and then sprinkle some salt on before I throw them in the oven? I love coconut oil but it’s not summer yet so I’d have to melt it down a bit before tossing in it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I toss them with canola and whatever I feel like of the following:
garlic powder, roasted garlic powder, onion powder, toasted onion powder, black pepper, cayenne, Aleppo pepper, cumin, celery salt, various smoked salts, smoked paprika, just a smidge of cinnamon

I think if you do actual chopped garlic it'll probably burn if you have the oven hot enough for the fries to crisp at all.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

LPT par boil, cut into fries, and toss in a corn starch slurry. The starch from the potatoes and the slurry combine, create a great ~natural~ crust with lots of surface area. Originally saw this for ATK deep fried fries but I tried both ways and it works great in the oven too.

One time I was lazy and instead of par boiling I cut into fries, put in a glass bowl covered tightly with plastic wrap, and steamed in the microwave for 5 minutes. Almost as good and super simple.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone made a jiggly Japanese cheesecake? I made my first tonight and it was s super interesting process. Everything seemed to go just right, but then I noticed after taking it out of the oven A) it smelled a bit like an omelette and B) despite following the directions, it feels like it “separated” and I have a denser “omelette” layer on the bottom.

Anyone had one before? Is it aromatically ‘eggy’? And any tips for how to avoid a dense, eggy bottom?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

LPT par boil, cut into fries, and toss in a corn starch slurry. The starch from the potatoes and the slurry combine, create a great ~natural~ crust with lots of surface area. Originally saw this for ATK deep fried fries but I tried both ways and it works great in the oven too.

One time I was lazy and instead of par boiling I cut into fries, put in a glass bowl covered tightly with plastic wrap, and steamed in the microwave for 5 minutes. Almost as good and super simple.

You can also just bash em up in a big bowl after blanching, until the outer layer gets roughed up.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Feenix posted:

Anyone made a jiggly Japanese cheesecake? I made my first tonight and it was s super interesting process. Everything seemed to go just right, but then I noticed after taking it out of the oven A) it smelled a bit like an omelette and B) despite following the directions, it feels like it “separated” and I have a denser “omelette” layer on the bottom.

Anyone had one before? Is it aromatically ‘eggy’? And any tips for how to avoid a dense, eggy bottom?

Post your recipe? From a quick browse at a couple random recipes, it looks like you're making a custard as one of the steps. If you heat the custard too hard/not mix well/fast enough when you add the egg yolks, it's gonna scramble and you get a sweet omelet flavor.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Anne Whateley posted:

I toss them with canola and whatever I feel like of the following:
garlic powder, roasted garlic powder, onion powder, toasted onion powder, black pepper, cayenne, Aleppo pepper, cumin, celery salt, various smoked salts, smoked paprika, just a smidge of cinnamon

I think if you do actual chopped garlic it'll probably burn if you have the oven hot enough for the fries to crisp at all.

BrianBoitano posted:

I tossed it with 1:1-ish maple syrup and olive oil, tossed some of the minced garlic in there with it. Sprinkled with curry powder, salt, and chili powder then in the oven. Any reason to have tossed any of the powders/salts, or just sprinkle on top as I did?

Didn’t have cinnamon but that might have been a good touch. Maybe should use garlic powder instead of the minced?? Starch would have added a nice crust for sure

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Mixing them with the spices just means there are spices on all four sides instead of only one. Also, you can lick your fingers afterward. It doesn't matter.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Feenix posted:

You probably needed to temper the eggs when making the custard. Tempering eggs means putting a little bit of the hot liquid into the eggs before all of it goes in. This stops the eggs from getting basically scrambled and that eggy flavor.

Like Casu Marzu said, post your recipe.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Another possibility is that the oven was a bit too hot. When you make creme brulee, you can put them in a water bath in the oven to try and keep the temperature from getting too high, I'm not sure if that would be possible in this case?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Casu Marzu posted:

Post your recipe? From a quick browse at a couple random recipes, it looks like you're making a custard as one of the steps. If you heat the custard too hard/not mix well/fast enough when you add the egg yolks, it's gonna scramble and you get a sweet omelet flavor.

Not sure how to link, I just have the Tasty App. Your logic sounds sound, though. Thanks! I tried hard to follow it to a “T”.

It said to get really stiff peaks out of my egg whites, which I totally did... but it felt really foamy so maybe that was it? Maybe it didn’t incorporate as well...

[Ed] oh here’s the recipe...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TeoS_fQWvkY

Different topic: I got some pork belly. Last time I did a Sous Vide cook that was 10 hours.

I just saw a recipe that was 7 hours in the oven. Then pan-frying.

Are there any “fast/traditional” cook times for pork belly?
(An hour or two...?)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 8, 2018

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Most red-braised pork recipes are an hour or two cooking. I like this one a lot.

Regarding that cheesecake recipe you linked: if it tasted eggy, I'm certain the cream mixture was too hot for the egg yolks. It's a classic mistake with egg custards, especially making simple flavored ones like this or flan.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/gai-golae/

I'm planning on making this soon and picked up some dried tamarinds from winco to make the tamarind paste/juice that the recipe called for...and in the process of learning on Google how to rehydrate them I learn there are sweet and sour varieties? How can I tell which one I have?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Casu Marzu posted:

Most red-braised pork recipes are an hour or two cooking. I like this one a lot.

Regarding that cheesecake recipe you linked: if it tasted eggy, I'm certain the cream mixture was too hot for the egg yolks. It's a classic mistake with egg custards, especially making simple flavored ones like this or flan.

How hot is too hot? I let it cool to like, I guess, body temperature because it felt neither hot nor cold to the touch...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/gai-golae/

I'm planning on making this soon and picked up some dried tamarinds from winco to make the tamarind paste/juice that the recipe called for...and in the process of learning on Google how to rehydrate them I learn there are sweet and sour varieties? How can I tell which one I have?

Unless the package explicitly says sweet it's likely the sour variety. Sweet tamarind is grown in a specific province making it more expensive and generally eaten as a snack while sour pods are used for cooking.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Was swapping recipes with mum, and she had a bunch of hand written pages she got from an Indian lady she took a cooking class under ages back. Was pretty straight forward sort of recipes, with the exception that every recipe that called for cumin seeds also called for ground cumin seeds as a separate ingredient. They weren't for separate steps either, it's just for doing the temper.

I have no idea why, and google doesn't shed any light. Is this a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zenithe posted:

Was swapping recipes with mum, and she had a bunch of hand written pages she got from an Indian lady she took a cooking class under ages back. Was pretty straight forward sort of recipes, with the exception that every recipe that called for cumin seeds also called for ground cumin seeds as a separate ingredient. They weren't for separate steps either, it's just for doing the temper.

I have no idea why, and google doesn't shed any light. Is this a thing?

There is a different flavor profile. Cumin seeds are a little astringent while the powder has a muskiness to it. I've never added them simultaneously so maybe that lady just really loves cumin.