Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Biden literally had to quit the first time because he cribbed a British MP's speech.

But the question is, was it a good speech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like Clinton running (which I seriously doubt will happen) would possibly be a blessing in disguise, since she would have zero chance of winning the primary but would split the more centrist/center-left vote.

I want a large field in 2020 because it helps Bernie more than anyone else. Let the 4%ers fight over Gillibrand/Booker/Harris.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

joe biden is absolutely not a good person

speaking of, where's my loving battleship you rear end in a top hat

Lightning Knight posted:

But the question is, was it a good speech?

the og speech posted:

Why am I the first Kinnock in a thousand generations to be able to get to university? [Pointing to his wife in the audience:] Why is Glenys the first woman in her family in a thousand generations to be able to get to university? Was it because all our predecessors were thick?

diamond joe posted:

I started thinking as I was coming over here, why is it that Joe Biden is the first in his family ever to go to a university? [Pointing to his wife in the audience:] Why is it that my wife who is sitting out there in the audience is the first in her family to ever go to college? Is it because our fathers and mothers were not bright? Is it because I'm the first Biden in a thousand generations to get a college and a graduate degree that I was smarter than the rest?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You know, at least he was plagiarizing a positive point.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

you would not believe how busy this credential program has left me. also the entire cohort is about to openly rebel against the credential program itself lol

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Lightning Knight posted:

You know, at least he was plagiarizing a positive point.

lol i'm building him a scale model of the USS West Virginia

or at least i would be if this program didn't suck rear end and pearson hadn't invented the EdTPA

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol i'm building him a scale model of the USS West Virginia

or at least i would be if this program didn't suck rear end and pearson hadn't invented the EdTPA

Oh I was talking about his quote of Biden but you know what, that's fuckin' sick.

Edit: The Gay Union Organizer Who Helped MLK Change the World

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 4, 2018

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

you would not believe how busy this credential program has left me. also the entire cohort is about to openly rebel against the credential program itself lol

I am resisting making a hearts of iron joke.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah I'm sure voting for Nazis will work out differently this time

That statement is as coherent as comparing the Catholic Center Party to the modern day Democrats. I mean, if you want to do a sloppy historical analogy, at least make the Democrats of today the SPD, which was the largest party on the left. There was even an analogous movement by the KDP to equate the SPD with the Nazis by calling them “social fascists”. Not sure if the people who ended up dying under Nazi oppression agreed with their assessment.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wait, he cribbed it from goddamn Neil Kinnock? lol forever

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Speaking of Tom Perez and slimy centrist lingo, this ones is fun:

https://twitter.com/Mobute/status/981600921183510528

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Office Pig posted:

Incidentally Joe Biden - one of the architects behind our horrifically destructive war on drugs - recently referenced and suggested taking Charles Murray's quiz for whether or not you live in an elitist bubble - a quiz utilizing metrics reliant upon questions such as whether or not you go to Applebees.

dr skull calipers' cosmo quiz for idiots is great because it presupposes every real american is located in a suburban hellscape near akron

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Democrazy posted:

That statement is as coherent as comparing the Catholic Center Party to the modern day Democrats. I mean, if you want to do a sloppy historical analogy, at least make the Democrats of today the SPD, which was the largest party on the left. There was even an analogous movement by the KDP to equate the SPD with the Nazis by calling them “social fascists”. Not sure if the people who ended up dying under Nazi oppression agreed with their assessment.

What.

The conversation was about liberals endorsing voting for the actual neo-Nazi Hungarian party Jobbik in order to own the conservatives, under the theory that conservatives would never react to Nazi popularity by becoming Nazis themselves and/or that Nazis will respect :decorum: and support liberal democracy.

In any case, the modern-day Democrats definitely aren't analogous to the SDP, which was explicitly Marxist. And lol at blaming the KPD for not having a high opinion of the political party that, once in power, immediately unleashed right-wing militias to murder communists in the street. Not sure if the people who ended up dying under Nazi oppression were relieved that at least some commies died at the hands of the SPD first.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

VitalSigns posted:

What.

The conversation was about liberals endorsing voting for the actual neo-Nazi Hungarian party Jobbik in order to own the conservatives, under the theory that conservatives would never react to Nazi popularity by becoming Nazis themselves and/or that Nazis will respect :decorum: and support liberal democracy.

In any case, the modern-day Democrats definitely aren't analogous to the SDP, which was explicitly Marxist. And lol at blaming the KPD for not having a high opinion of the political party that, once in power, immediately unleashed right-wing militias to murder communists in the street. Not sure if the people who ended up dying under Nazi oppression were relieved that at least some commies died at the hands of the SPD first.

Ironically, the KPD toyed with the idea that Germans would react to the election of Hitler by becoming communists, and later argued that Britain represented more of a reactionary thread than Nazi Germany. They sided with Nazis to own the liberals.

But the comparison to say, any politics of today, would be really loving dumb.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Democrazy posted:

Ironically, the KPD toyed with the idea that Germans would react to the election of Hitler by becoming communists, and later argued that Britain represented more of a reactionary thread than Nazi Germany. They sided with Nazis to own the liberals.

But the comparison to say, any politics of today, would be really loving dumb.

Pretty much none of this is true (other than maybe some KPD members thought that they'd be able to replace Hitler). KPD never "sided with Nazis."

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

joepinetree posted:

Pretty much none of this is true (other than maybe some KPD members thought that they'd be able to replace Hitler). KPD never "sided with Nazis."

I would invite you to read Walter Ulbricht’s commentary during the dates in which the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact was in effect, when many members of the Comintern argued against resisting Nazis, including many who would play prominent role thereafter, like Maurice Thorez.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Democrazy posted:

I would invite you to read Walter Ulbricht’s commentary during the dates in which the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact was in effect, when many members of the Comintern argued against resisting Nazis, including many who would play prominent role thereafter, like Maurice Thorez.

That is both unrelated to the KPD at the time of the Nazi ascent to power and their relationship to the SPD, and also completely ignores the Soviet diplomatic efforts prior to the Molotov Ribbentrop Pact.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Democrazy: *being frog-marched into the ovens by Nazis* *an image of Rosa Luxemburg dead in a ditch flashes before his eyes* "soooooo ...worth it"

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

joepinetree posted:

That is both unrelated to the KPD at the time of the Nazi ascent to power and their relationship to the SPD, and also completely ignores the Soviet diplomatic efforts prior to the Molotov Ribbentrop Pact.

That’s not what I said. What I said is that the KPD sided with the Nazis over the liberals with whom they were fighting, which they did, explicitly, and after the Nazis had already shown their brutality to their own people.

VitalSigns posted:

Democrazy: *being frog-marched into the ovens by Nazis* *an image of Rosa Luxemburg dead in a ditch flashes before his eyes* "soooooo ...worth it"

The actions of the SPD during the Spartacus revolt, while regrettable, are not quite equal to the Holocaust.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Democrazy posted:

That’s not what I said. What I said is that the KPD sided with the Nazis over the liberals with whom they were fighting, which they did, explicitly, and after the Nazis had already shown their brutality to their own people.

The actions of the SPD during the Spartacus revolt, while regrettable, are not quite equal to the Holocaust.

The kpd never sided with the Nazis, and this is such a monumentally uninformed argument that it is not worth engaging in it other than to say go Google antifa.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Democrazy posted:

An op-ed by one guy, in exile, years after Hitler came to power, repeating the government line in a country not known for its freedom of political expression, does not equal "the KPD sided with the Nazis" and certainly doesn't support "the KPD helped Hitler come to power" like you're trying to imply, and that's not even getting into you dropping the context of decades of British aggression towards the Soviet Union, and the failure of the Tripartite Negotiations because Britain was more worried about possible Soviet influence in the Baltics than German aggression.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Democrazy posted:

what

i

what

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Democrazy posted:

This is a pretty good take man. Keep it up! The forum believes in you!

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

The KPD: noted best friends of Herr Hitler.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

We’ve gone to the part of the argument where there’s no reasonable refutation, so everyone is just going to pretend that it was those drat libs. Better that than wrestle with the demons of Comintern policy.

Edit: Like, it wouldn’t be that hard to say, “Many of the actions taken by the Soviet-led Comintern were bad, but that has nothing to do with politics today,” and you would be totally right! You don’t even need to engage in this kind of historical revisionism or downplay of the Holocaust.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
if only we could calmly and reasonably discuss, why it's totally sensible, for liberals to tactically vote for nazis

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Joan Walsh is a hack.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
democrazy is a proven liar and troll, just ignore him

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Democrazy posted:

That’s not what I said. What I said is that the KPD sided with the Nazis over the liberals with whom they were fighting, which they did

*Ron Howard VO* They didn't.

(particularly since the KPD didn't exist at the time of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Democrazy posted:

We’ve gone to the part of the argument where there’s no reasonable refutation, so everyone is just going to pretend that it was those drat libs. Better that than wrestle with the demons of Comintern policy.

Edit: Like, it wouldn’t be that hard to say, “Many of the actions taken by the Soviet-led Comintern were bad, but that has nothing to do with politics today,” and you would be totally right! You don’t even need to engage in this kind of historical revisionism or downplay of the Holocaust.

Many of the actions taken by the Comintern were bad, but you were asserting the German Communist Party was helping the Nazis which is a demonstrably false, ahistorical lie.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Many of the actions taken by the Comintern were bad, but you were asserting the German Communist Party was helping the Nazis which is a demonstrably false, ahistorical lie.

Look, it is extremely important to make sure everyone understands that the radical left can't be trusted and only the reasonable and pragmatic center-left can guide us to a non-Nazi future.

Unironically, it has been kind of interesting how this bizarre "radical strains of politics on both sides are more bigoted than their less radical counterparts" worldview has taken hold since 2016 with some people. I think in some cases it's directly malicious, while in others it's people who have been conditioned to just accept any claims that accuse a person or group of bigotry (which is normally fairly reasonable, but has been manipulated by the center-left to make itself look better in comparison with the radical left).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's just projection, notice how the center has completely abandoned the DREAMers (again, since they also voted against the DREAM Act in 2010 despite having enough D senators plus Republican defectors to have a supermajority on that bill), and anyone who says "wait why aren't we shutting down the government to prevent a crime against humanity from taking place" is shooed off as "unrealistic".

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Some of the radical centrists I know are just idiots who don’t actually understand politics or history and want to feel like they’re smarter than everyone else by being ~rational~ and above the fray. You can spot them immediately when they do nothing but quote ancient, dead white philosophers to “prove” their point.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/CAP_Health/status/981625201938051073
Score another red flag.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The 'anyone' part of Medicare for anyone should register under the same political lexicon as 'choice' for why you shouldn't have coverage.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

I like how they are so obviously dishonest that they keep using Bernie's picture and whatever the closest sentence to "medicare for all" is to push for something that is not at all like medicare for all.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/981948175341715457

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

joepinetree posted:

I like how they are so obviously dishonest that they keep using Bernie's picture and whatever the closest sentence to "medicare for all" is to push for something that is not at all like medicare for all.

So here's a baseline question -- if your options are what we have now or Medicare Extra (e.g., a Public Option) are you going to walk away from it? Note: I think campaigning for and making Medicare for All (though maybe not the exact bill that Bernie has proposed in the past -- but that's marginal) you ask is a good idea. I am just trying to get a sense of if you are willing to accept that political reality might be that you get the intermediate step first.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Eat poo poo, Kev.
https://twitter.com/JessicaValenti/status/981955064515448833

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
you just advocate murdering thirty million women for loving too much for your taste a couple dozen times, and look at what happens. smh

• Locked thread