Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s a god AI fused with JC “on the spectrum” Denton, it won’t be as good as you think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
JC is a man of tact and distinction. :haw:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jay Rust posted:

It’s a god AI fused with JC “on the spectrum” Denton, it won’t be as good as you think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rddRQyBmBkw

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

I beat orochi in okami hd and ive seen a lot of people recommend i quit now like theres another 20 hrs of gameplay that is bad? Is that true? I liked it so far

It's a really long game and doesn't throw a ton of new things into the game but I've 100% it like 3 or 4 times so I think it's worth finishing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Gaming is both an activity ("I play games") and an identity ("I am a gamer"). Once it's an identity it's vulnerable to tribalism and gatekeeping the way any other identity is.

I suppose! But even as someone who was super into online gaming communities I never understood having a weird True Gamer mindset when it seemed pretty obvious that the majority of popular, praised, and influential games tended to be those which successfully made themselves more accessible and playable than their contemporaries and predecessors.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

cheetah7071 posted:

("I play games") ("I am a gamer")

don't doxx my morning mantra

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Motto posted:

I suppose! But even as someone who was super into online gaming communities I never understood having a weird True Gamer mindset when it seemed pretty obvious that the majority of popular, praised, and influential games tended to be those which successfully made themselves more accessible and playable than their contemporaries and predecessors.

It's the same mindset as the "I liked x before it was cool" thing, combined with people who lack a feeling of identity and community creating an arbitrary one. They feel something must be exclusionary to be an identity.

The whole thing about "fake gamer girls" I still don't get, beyond just basic misogyny, but maybe that's all there is to it.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 4, 2018

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I can't wait for the game pride parade

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
By any reasonable definition I'm a gamer but I don't like the label. I prefer to say I'm a person who plays a shitton of video games

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

By any reasonable definition I'm a gamer but I don't like the label. I prefer to say I'm a person who plays a shitton of video games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm gay, but i'm not a gamer

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think its time we just destroy the internet, perhaps by just dropping an entire asteroid upon it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

can I get a gamer hell yah

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

homeless snail posted:

um, actually,

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In gamer hell, all surfaces are untextured

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Real hurthling! posted:

I beat orochi in okami hd and ive seen a lot of people recommend i quit now like theres another 20 hrs of gameplay that is bad? Is that true? I liked it so far

The rest of Okami is like the first part of Okami. It's not bad but everything up to Orochi could've been its own game and now it just keeps going and going and going

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that's a gamer booyah, but I'll accept it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

now here's a big gamer

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I forget if it was phil fish or jonathan blow who was tweeting :biotruths: that women are by and large not smart enough for STEM

I think it was jonathan blow now that i type it out

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

homeless snail posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmgne7B73Fk

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Expect My Mom posted:

I forget if it was phil fish or jonathan blow who was tweeting :biotruths: that women are by and large not smart enough for STEM

I think it was jonathan blow now that i type it out

Yeah pretty sure that was Ol' Blowie

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Whoops wrong thread

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

Phil Fish was a good game creator that said stupid things and gamers got mad but like to a stupid degree like they tend to and eventually he got sick of being told to kill himself every time he posted anything, so he dropped out of making games and posting online and then people got mad at him for that.

actually he was lame and despite his enormous amounts of fart huffing his game was nothing special im glad hes gone

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i watched the far cry 5 endings and now my recommended youtube video scroll is chockablock with alt-right skidmarks evangelizing a mediocre videogame to own the libs

jfc these people are horrible

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's funny to see the turnaround from mocking reviewers for not liking the story to some people treating it like ME3.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

All of Okami is extremely good.

The second area is my favorite part, with the best city, some cool smaller stuff, and it leads up to a really good big dungeon. The last part is worth it too, it's pretty short but meaty and the final boss is incredible.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The PS2 version of Okami had you attack by pressing a face button. One of the weapons distinguishes holding down the button and mashing it. Nothing strange here so far.

The Wii version, the one I played, replaced the attack button with "shake the controller" as so many games of that era did. Now suddenly you have to try to distinguish holding shake and mashing shake

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

take my love, take my land,
take me where I cannot stand,
I don't care, I'm still free,
you can't take my games from me

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't really care about phil fish outside of thinking his big statement about japanese games was just him being a jack off

jonathan blow though, is just a prick

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if you're going to be an rear end in a top hat, imo you should at least have the talent to back it up. fez was a better game than all of blow's put together

and then there's jason rohrer who's even worse lol

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fez was cool and good. Phil Fish was an unpleasant guy but he wasn't a literal white/male supremacist or whatever so he'd be in the top 50% of twitter if he was still active today.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Witness would be better if called white lines of blow

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like Jonathon blow's my rear end's games more than Phil Bitch's

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

[quote="homeless snail" post=""482820233”"]
and then there's jason rohrer who's even worse lol
[/quote]

I bought an extremely cheap collection of some of this dude’s games for DS and all I remember is that they were short and extremely pretentious and I was not aware he was a guy who did anything else

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jonathan Blow is my current "Can I really separate the art from the artist" test case.

I love The Witness but he seems like a real piece of poo poo

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I don't know where else to ask this but is Mafia 3 worth twelve bucks? It's on Humble Monthly, I already have Mankind Divided and I have zero interest in God Eater, but I think I heard Mafia 3 was decent maybe?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

I bought an extremely cheap collection of some of this dude’s games for DS and all I remember is that they were short and extremely pretentious and I was not aware he was a guy who did anything else
he did an art exhibit once that was just a hacked version of minecraft on a usb stick that got passed around

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dramatika posted:

I don't know where else to ask this but is Mafia 3 worth twelve bucks? It's on Humble Monthly, I already have Mankind Divided and I have zero interest in God Eater, but I think I heard Mafia 3 was decent maybe?

The opening 2 hours is good but the open world is very progress gated behind repetitive tasks. 12 doesnt sound too bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

chumbler posted:

It's the same mindset as the "I liked x before it was cool" thing, combined with people who lack a feeling of identity and community creating an arbitrary one. They feel something must be exclusionary to be an identity.

The whole thing about "fake gamer girls" I still don't get, beyond just basic misogyny, but maybe that's all there is to it.

It's a worldwide cultural thing ie "women only like x thing that's usually aimed at men because they want attention" mixed with gamers own brand of bigotry and white boi anger encouraged by over two decades of advertising among other things.

• Locked thread