Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

PantsOptional posted:

Something else just occurred to me about the psykergeddon planetary blockade and I can’t believe that I didn’t realize it earlier. See, when I first sketched out the bones of this idea, I noted that this Inquisitor was an ultra-Radical who believes that the ends always justify the means and so nothing is forbidden to Inquisitors (aka, Xanthite). I had sort of idly noted him as having an extensive collection of xenotech to this end, but something much worse crossed my mind.

Sure, he’s blockaded this planet and is keeping anyone from leaving. But he’s also keeping anyone from going there, because this planet is basically now an armory for him to plunder. He’s protecting an asset.
Does he make them fight and then pick out the strongest psykers to invade Outworld become acolytes? Or is he more of a "build Starkiller base out of psykers" megalomaniac?

Running a nonstop worldwide Mortal Kombat tournament is probably one way to make the population self-managing.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So given there are only three mentions of "M41" in the DH2 books ("In late M41" in discussion of an operation on Snope's World: Enemies Beyond p. 19, 731M41 mentioned in discussion of the Portal Raids in the context of the Vaxian Aftermath Wars: Enemies Without p. 22, then "Later in M41" in discussion of the Askellian Incursion: Enemies Without p. 24) I'm getting the impression that DH2 is set more-or-less contemporaneous with DH1 (which was the 800-teens of M41 IIRC). Is that right?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Was the Jericho Reach actually inaccessible from the rest of the Ultima Segmentum or just "really hard to reach and what's the point?" prior to the discovery of the warpgate from the Segmentum Obscurus (meaning that once the crusade started there might have been flights to and from there that didn't go through the warp gate once there was a reason)?

Like: I need to get my plastic mans from Calixis in the early 800'sM41 to the other side of the goddamn galaxy by the development of the Cicatrix Maledictum in 999sM41 to shoot Taus in the early part of M42 and I'm not sure how else to explain it happening, but they have to have left the Jericho Reach by 999 because that gets ate in 999 (by the formation of the CM).

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Schadenboner posted:

Was the Jericho Reach actually inaccessible from the rest of the Ultima Segmentum or just "really hard to reach and what's the point?" prior to the discovery of the warpgate from the Segmentum Obscurus (meaning that once the crusade started there might have been flights to and from there that didn't go through the warp gate once there was a reason)?

It's a little bit of both. It's cut off by Warp storms and temporal distortions which also make astropathic communications difficult, and the High Lords decided it wasn't worth bothering to send a Crusade until they had a decent way to get there.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It was too difficult to be economically viable.

Warp travel's not instant, but crossing the galaxy in a century shouldn't be hard if you've got the cash/badges. There's probably some big old warp highways that get you 10 kiloparsecs in the same amount of time it takes to get to that star just over there or some such bullshit.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

goatface posted:

It was too difficult to be economically viable.

Warp travel's not instant, but crossing the galaxy in a century shouldn't be hard if you've got the cash/badges. There's probably some big old warp highways that get you 10 kiloparsecs in the same amount of time it takes to get to that star just over there or some such bullshit.

I think it's also a question of how many Navigators you're willing to daisy-chain together.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Just accessible enough to launch a crusade :catholic:, but not accessible enough to actually keep the crusade in supply :dawkins101:.

:mil101: At least corpse-starch means the armies aren't going to starve. When running low on food, just order another assault. Victory or dinner!

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Schadenboner posted:

Like: I need to get my plastic mans from Calixis in the early 800'sM41 to the other side of the goddamn galaxy by the development of the Cicatrix Maledictum in 999sM41 to shoot Taus in the early part of M42 and I'm not sure how else to explain it happening, but they have to have left the Jericho Reach by 999 because that gets ate in 999 (by the formation of the CM).

I could be misunderstanding the nature of warp travel (or this could just be too lazy of an answer), but why not just have them end up then and there? There is precedent for things like that to happening, and given what happened during the Dark Imperium and how that must have affected the warp, it's not unreasonable to just do that.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Today the monthly WanG newsletter came out (all about how Initiative works in combat) and there was another interview posted here, so here's a summary of the new information between the two.

Attributes: Revealed to be Strength, Agility, Toughness, Intellect, Willpower, Fellowship, and Initiative. That last one, all we know is that you roll it in case of a tie or dispute for Initiative slots.

Races: The 4th race was confirmed to be Space Marine, bringing us up to Ork, Eldar, Human, and Space Marine.

Framework and Party Building: Archetypes will have specific Tiers and Keywords (Chaos, Human, etc) associated with them, and can play in the higher Tiers by Ascending in the fashion described earlier (which not only bumps up your stats, but also grants better equipment as well). The "framework" they talked about earlier seems to be basically deciding what Tier you want to your campaign to be and which keywords are acceptable. Keywords also have some other specific mechanics, such as granting bonuses on Persuasion checks when dealing with someone that shares a keyword with you. They also mention that the difficulty for acquiring items is affected by your keywords, so getting a heavy bolt pistol is pretty much impossible without the Adeptus Astartes keyword.

Archetypes: Space Marines will have rules distinguishing between Chapters, and the core book will have all of the First Founding Chapters. No word on the Legions for Chaos. Cultist and Rogue Psyker were mentioned as being usable in a Chaos campaign.

Combat: Glory can be spent to increase severity of Critical Hits in addition to everything already mentioned. In addition to players being able to double up PC turns in the initiative order by spending Glory, the GM has a resource called Ruin which can be spent on various things including pushing NPC slots up in initiative. The game also has mechanics similar to the FFG SWRPG Minions, whereby you can put a bunch of low-level enemies together in one initiative slot and have them act as a single character Mob. A Mob can attack multiple characters and can also split up on their initiative if so desired. The example they gave was a 10-deep Mob of Ork Boyz who would get 5 extra dice to attack.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

PantsOptional posted:

Races: The 4th race was confirmed to be Space Marine, bringing us up to Ork, Eldar, Human, and Space Marine.
Well, boo to that. :mad:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Spamreens confirmed not human.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

There was also apparently a piece over at Geek and Sundry that didn’t tell us much but did drop the fact that Primaris start at Tier 4.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm fine with t''''''au and necrons getting their own book(s), astartes are distinct enough to figure as a separate player race from baseline human

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

The answer to "is there an Inquisitorial faction that believes X" is invariably yes.

This seems to be the case from my memory of DH. They will have code words and message drops and meeting halls and the whole nine. I also think specifically yes, there's a group who's all about psyker-ification.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

PantsOptional posted:

Today the monthly WanG newsletter came out

I'm sorry about this, but

lol

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I both A. love using the current 40k canon as an excuse to set up proper mixed adventuring parties and B. hope there's enough material for an entire party of orks for a really dumb one shot that will end with everyone dead.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So how will we determine accuracy with no BS and WS? I've picked up and leafed through Zweihander, the kickstarted spiritual successor/remake of WHFRPG, and it condensed WS and BS into "Combat." I'm not sure if that would work in 40k, but that seems like a great idea in a fantasy setting where the vast majority of fighting will be with melee weapons or supplementary single shot firearms.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Everything else seems to be a Stat plus Skill dicepool, so I'd imagine (STR/AGI) plus an appropriate skill. Difficulty seems to be based on the target's Defense score plus modifiers for things like environmental conditions.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Blockhouse posted:

I both A. love using the current 40k canon as an excuse to set up proper mixed adventuring parties and B. hope there's enough material for an entire party of orks for a really dumb one shot that will end with everyone dead.

If you don't have enough material for an all-ork party already, you're a broken man.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

JcDent posted:

If you don't have enough material for an all-ork party already, you're a broken man.

:yeah:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
The best version of Paranoia

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Cassa posted:

The best version of Paranoia

One of the players is a secret git.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

And at least one is just a jumpsuit full of grots.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Chiwie posted:

One of the players is a secret git.

You all have mutations
Nobody cares

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Chiwie posted:

One of the players is a secret scrunt

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Wouldn't the smell give them away?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ask pharma about playing a servant of nurgle who slowly liquefied inside of the sealed armor he would never remove for a series of increasingly less convincing reasons.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hi,

I'm working on a d20 hack of Black Crusade that I would be excited to share with y'all in its not-quite-complete state (still need to do monsters, and need to re-work a couple of subsystems).

This all started with the realization that I liked the idea of Black Crusade and was super into it, but didn't care at all for the base system's extreme jankiness. So the first re-iteration was a version converted from Dungeon World, which I believe I may have posted in this thread before; that soon turned into a d20 version.

The general idea behind the d20 version, which takes most of its notes from previous games I've worked on and 4E:

-Your ability score is your mod. So if you have 6 Strength, that's what you add, the end.

-There are just three types of damage, Physical, Energy, and Psychic.

-Most of your vital statistics are derived from two of your six ability scores.

-It incorporates some ideas from DW, like bonds, and at every level, of which there are 12, you get a new ability. The game is cleanly divided into four tiers of power, and your powers increase by tier.

-Every character has a class and two heresies, the latter of which essentially act as subclasses.

-Characters still gain Infamy (XP) and Plunder (usually for weapons, tech, and armor).

-Characters fuel their abilities through the metacurrency of Hatred, which largely works but is also being re-worked.

-There's a system for determining your warband leader that I'm still working on (it works in practice but is extremely cut and dry, and I want to replace it with something where characters who aren't tanks can win via their skills). In its current state it's a light PVP event.

-I have roughly 20% of the monsters done (for levels 1-3).

-Because I have no hope of turning this material around and selling it in any capacity, I shamelessly collected chaos space marine art from around the Internet.

-Currently the game doesn't have human heretics. I have 16 chaos space marine classes and roughly twice as many heresies.

-As in the base game, every mechanical choice you make is also designed to be a distinct flavor choice. There are defenders, strikers, controllers, and what not, but masked behind where those roles would occur in the Chaos legions.

The game's value to me is as a mechanical proof of concept for future games I write and may sell on DrivethruRPG. I have done one playtest now and it went mostly well, outside of the issues I identified above. What I would like is help and input from any interested parties. The game's about 300 pages. Many of my IRL friends have to be dragged kicking and screaming to the table on Warhammer stuff because they don't get it and refuse to learn, so I am turning to the Internet for solace. So what I'm saying is, I'm interested in doing a web game of it with those interested.

About stuff other than Black Crusade: Yes. But that would represent a chunk of work greater than what's already been done, which took weeks/months.

I can post the updated manual late tonight for those interested.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 16, 2018

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

You lost me at "d20 hack"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

dont even fink about it posted:

I'm working on a d20 hack of Black Crusade
didn't care at all for the base system's extreme jankiness.

I don't think I'd be alone in believing that "extreme jank" describes d20 much better than the FFG 40K series of games.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

chin up everything sucks posted:

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I know nothing about d20 but there are sixteen classes and 32 subclasses before you've even added in humans, and this is less janky than the system that has 4 basic options for both races and then they can just do whatever they want?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

moths posted:

I don't think I'd be alone in believing that "extreme jank" describes d20 much better than the FFG 40K series of games.

It's a tall hill to climb I know; and without posting anything I'm just stuck here talking out my butt, so here goes:

Book: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6VIODxR76Y8YVFyQUFFUHRxbE0

Character Sheet: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6VIODxR76Y8LXViUVNuRHl1WEE

I have a slightly more updated version at home I can post tonight.

The book is intended for people who don't really understand the setting. Those of you with time to spare are welcome to dig in and critique mercilessly.

When I talk about "extreme jank" in FFG BC, I'm talking mainly about

A) Too many modifiers

B) Wild and wacky amounts of imbalance, especially when rolling in splatbooks

C) Bad editing (incorrect page references, references to skills or abilities that don't exist)

This is definitely a science project, but it's also me intending to make something very playable at the end of the day so that the completed mechanical work can be applied to other games I make. It's also a pet project in the sense that I only write games I want to play.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 17, 2018

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

The world does not need more d20 poo poo. It's a bad system that's been around long enough to have all of its warts thoroughly examined. There are plenty of other systems you could base your hack off of.

chin up everything sucks posted:

moths posted:

These

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Is "d20" system any "D&D Style" system with SDCWIC, in any edition or variant, or a specific subcategory?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Is "d20" system any "D&D Style" system with SDCWIC, in any edition or variant, or a specific subcategory?

D&D 3.0/3.5 refered to the underlying system as the "d20 System" - that's the actual name. Pathfinder and other 3.5 knockoffs are using "d20 System variants" under the Open Gaming License that Wizards put together for 3.x

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I don't envy your endeavor. Personally, I don't think d20 is any better than the heavily modified WHFRPG 2e system that the FFG 40k RPGs run on (and is in many ways arguably worse). I'm also someone who sternly believes D&D is really the only system that works with d20 because that's the game is was meant for - trying to play anything else with the d20 system either feels like a fantasy heartbreaker or just reminds players that they should probably just play D&D instead.

The 40k setting - especially Black Crusade - is also one that sort of emphasizes massive power imbalances - adopting a 4e system instead will probably be balanced, but it won't *feel* right if you're forcing CSMs to be on the same power scale as regular humans because suddenly these genetic monsters don't seem all that great. On the flip side, forcing humans to be on the same power scale as CSMs will then raise the question 'why play CSMs at all?' when your bog-standard human is just as good. I think Black Crusade's answer was particularly effective - both are good, just in very different ways. The CSMs are geared towards war, but the human heretics are fantastic at working the general population into a heretical fervor. Even the Rogue Psyker is formidable compared to the Sorcerer - yes, the Sorcerer has Space Marine implants and equipment that make him ded 'ard and killy, but he can't Push a psyker power to Psy Rating 8 right out of the character creation block.

Imbalances are kind of part of the game/setting, which is why I think Wrath and Glory - even if they're trying to 'simplify' the system to a d6 dice pool to hearken back to WH40k's wargaming roots - was wise to establish 'Tiers' of play from the outset depending on your character.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I mean, doing all this (as impressive as it surely is) feels a little premature when a new 40k RPG system is coming out in, what, July or August?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, doing all this (as impressive as it surely is) feels a little premature when a new 40k RPG system is coming out in, what, July or August?

Gen Con, so Aug 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

LuiCypher posted:

I don't envy your endeavor. Personally, I don't think d20 is any better than the heavily modified WHFRPG 2e system that the FFG 40k RPGs run on (and is in many ways arguably worse). I'm also someone who sternly believes D&D is really the only system that works with d20 because that's the game is was meant for - trying to play anything else with the d20 system either feels like a fantasy heartbreaker or just reminds players that they should probably just play D&D instead.

The 40k setting - especially Black Crusade - is also one that sort of emphasizes massive power imbalances - adopting a 4e system instead will probably be balanced, but it won't *feel* right if you're forcing CSMs to be on the same power scale as regular humans because suddenly these genetic monsters don't seem all that great. On the flip side, forcing humans to be on the same power scale as CSMs will then raise the question 'why play CSMs at all?' when your bog-standard human is just as good. I think Black Crusade's answer was particularly effective - both are good, just in very different ways. The CSMs are geared towards war, but the human heretics are fantastic at working the general population into a heretical fervor. Even the Rogue Psyker is formidable compared to the Sorcerer - yes, the Sorcerer has Space Marine implants and equipment that make him ded 'ard and killy, but he can't Push a psyker power to Psy Rating 8 right out of the character creation block.

Imbalances are kind of part of the game/setting, which is why I think Wrath and Glory - even if they're trying to 'simplify' the system to a d6 dice pool to hearken back to WH40k's wargaming roots - was wise to establish 'Tiers' of play from the outset depending on your character.

I care about power levels, but I care most about being able to predict how challenging a given battle will be, in order to make it fun, using mechanics that scale well. FFG BC... doesn't appear to care.

Instituting tiers is good. At the end of the day the "balance" in BC doesn't make any sense, as much as people want (or in fact, don't want) to run with "We lumped characters that are good at one type of game with those from another type of game together and called it good."

To be clear, the game I wrote is balanced for first-level characters to be able to attack dozens of Imperial Guardsmen with little worry, and that has worked.

I'm not against humans getting all up in your BC, but the way FFG does it, like everything else in the game, is straight-up clunky, and it definitely feels like a game that's been modified from the core mechanical premise too many times to withstand any serious scrutiny. I focused on chaos space marines because there's a lot going on there already. I do want to add cultists and other things.

As far as "d20 is only for D&D and/or is unsalvageable levels of bad," that doesn't really make sense as an argument on its face. I guess I should specify that I ripped out or changed a lot of stuff, generally to make it a lighter and more easy-to-play game; it's not a direct 3.5 port or something. I hate certain things about D&D as much as anybody here.

Schadenboner posted:

It's for funsies/a science project for future games, so the timing is less my concern.