Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Hmm, the numbers are coming from a K-1 (1065) Line 11F, with the notes breaking it down into Short & Long term mixed straddles. I'm not sure I have the info to fill out Form 6781 from that. Ah well.

Edit: I think I'm figuring it out? However, I just wanted to check: should I file my own amended return before 4/17 just to get my payment close, and then get a professional to fix it with a new amendment later on?

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
If I contributed to my Roth IRA in 2018 but assigned it to my 2017 limit, do I need to report it in my 2017 taxes?

TurboTax seems to imply I don’t but I wanted to double check.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

TheEye posted:

edit: The state refund was so high because I missed checking off being a NYC resident. Now the state refund is 2.5k, with the owed federal tax still at 17k. So... much worse than I originally thought.
That sucks, when you said net $3k it didn't sound as bad... Make sure you didn't typo anything, and for sanity sake you might want to recalc tax owed by hand (or online). Even if you just did your w2 incomes, you'd know if 17k was in the ballpark. I'm guessing it is, you probably went though and double checked everything, hence why you changed the NYC thing.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

If I contributed to my Roth IRA in 2018 but assigned it to my 2017 limit, do I need to report it in my 2017 taxes?

TurboTax seems to imply I don’t but I wanted to double check.
YOU don't report Roth IRA - your brokerage does on a Form 5498. Don't worry about it.

quote:

Topic Number 451 - Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)

A Roth IRA differs from a traditional IRA in several ways. Contributions to a Roth IRA aren't deductible (and you don't report the contributions on your tax return), but qualified distributions or distributions that are a return of contributions aren't subject to tax. In addition, you don't have to be under age 70½ to contribute to a Roth IRA. To be a Roth IRA, the account or annuity must be designated as a Roth IRA when it's set up. For more information on Roth IRA contributions, refer to Topic No. 309.
E:

RoboCop 3 posted:

Yeah, the 10% was taken out with the distribution, and my 1099-R does show the 10% as federal tax withheld. That makes a big difference in addition to entering the correct basis. The basis includes dividends that Vanguard automatically invested back into the Roth IRA, right?
I didn't see an answer to this - NO, dividends are not part of basis in a Roth IRA. They are part of gain. The basis is strictly your contributions (plus rollovers aged >5yrs if I remember right...), end of story.

If you're dealing with a rollover withdraw in addition to standard contribution withdraw, let us know and we can re-assess. I think that 5yr aging period applies but I am not 100% on that.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 26, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I itemize deductions and it looks like Turbotax wants to deduct the state income taxes that I paid for the year... on my one and only state return. E.g. I had X in tax withholding for the state of Hawaii, and on my Hawaii state return Turbotax wants to include X as an itemized deduction as a type of "State and Local Taxes" deduction. The amount X appears elsewhere on the state return, as total taxes paid. This seems like blatant double-counting but maybe that's normal for the state of Hawaii?

Surely the State and Local Taxes deduction should only applied to taxes paid to other states?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

QuarkJets posted:

I itemize deductions and it looks like Turbotax wants to deduct the state income taxes that I paid for the year... on my one and only state return. E.g. I had X in tax withholding for the state of Hawaii, and on my Hawaii state return Turbotax wants to include X as an itemized deduction as a type of "State and Local Taxes" deduction. The amount X appears elsewhere on the state return, as total taxes paid. This seems like blatant double-counting but maybe that's normal for the state of Hawaii?

Surely the State and Local Taxes deduction should only applied to taxes paid to other states?
I think that is legit, but I've never dealt with Hawaii before, see page 18 of N-11 instructions. http://files.hawaii.gov/tax/forms/2017/n11ins.pdf

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SiGmA_X posted:

I think that is legit, but I've never dealt with Hawaii before, see page 18 of N-11 instructions. http://files.hawaii.gov/tax/forms/2017/n11ins.pdf

Yeah, a careful reading of the instructions does include the interpretation that you could deduct your state withholding. And on the list of items that you can't deduct it calls out federal income tax, but not state income tax

And a Turbotax person got back to me and confirmed that that's how it works: some states let you deduct all of your state income tax from your state taxes, but those states will usually make you pay taxes on refunds (which Hawaii does)

That's counterintuitive to me but okay! Cool! Thanks for your help

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I went and did my taxes on Saturday. I owe because my wife is a contractor and my W-4 read 5 dependents. I know we should take out taxes out of her check but we can't afford it right now. It's something we're cleaning up.

Regardless, does a family of 3 need to put down 5? I looked at changing my W-4 and the worksheet comes up with 6 (Myself, Married filing jointly, 1 child) :confused:

Beyond her contractor status, we're not doing anything other than that so I'm assuming I'm reading everything right.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

ohgodwhat posted:

Hmm, the numbers are coming from a K-1 (1065) Line 11F, with the notes breaking it down into Short & Long term mixed straddles. I'm not sure I have the info to fill out Form 6781 from that. Ah well.

Edit: I think I'm figuring it out? However, I just wanted to check: should I file my own amended return before 4/17 just to get my payment close, and then get a professional to fix it with a new amendment later on?

What'd you get into, a hedge fund? Man, if you've got the funds to throw into that, just pay someone to do your taxes. And if it is a hedge fund, why'd you get into one of those?

Don't mess around with re-amending your amendment. Amendments are paper filed and takes MONTHS for the IRS/states to process. You amend and mail, and then promptly re-amend and mail AGAIN without waiting for the original amended return to get processed, your account is going to get FUBAR'd even worse.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Irritated Goat posted:

I went and did my taxes on Saturday. I owe because my wife is a contractor and my W-4 read 5 dependents. I know we should take out taxes out of her check but we can't afford it right now. It's something we're cleaning up.

Regardless, does a family of 3 need to put down 5? I looked at changing my W-4 and the worksheet comes up with 6 (Myself, Married filing jointly, 1 child) :confused:

Beyond her contractor status, we're not doing anything other than that so I'm assuming I'm reading everything right.

You can put whatever you want on your W-4. If you don't think you're withholding enough drop your number of exemptions. Don't worry about the worksheet. Hell, if you want to have the most withheld just put Single 0.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

AbbiTheDog posted:

What'd you get into, a hedge fund? Man, if you've got the funds to throw into that, just pay someone to do your taxes. And if it is a hedge fund, why'd you get into one of those?

Don't mess around with re-amending your amendment. Amendments are paper filed and takes MONTHS for the IRS/states to process. You amend and mail, and then promptly re-amend and mail AGAIN without waiting for the original amended return to get processed, your account is going to get FUBAR'd even worse.

I am trying to pay someone to do them, they're just all busy of course. My concern is about paying penalties because I will have massively underpaid by 4/17. If I get a pro to amend it shortly afterwards, will I likely avoid such penalties? Doesn't sound like I have much of a choice...

Anyway, my confusion was in being told I'd get my first K-1 for 2018, and they meant for 2017, received in 2018... Given the situation, the former seemed plausible to my clearly uneducated self.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

ohgodwhat posted:

I am trying to pay someone to do them, they're just all busy of course. My concern is about paying penalties because I will have massively underpaid by 4/17. If I get a pro to amend it shortly afterwards, will I likely avoid such penalties? Doesn't sound like I have much of a choice...

Anyway, my confusion was in being told I'd get my first K-1 for 2018, and they meant for 2017, received in 2018... Given the situation, the former seemed plausible to my clearly uneducated self.

The K-1, does to happen to have a 40/60 split on the straddles between LT/ST?

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
Random question that's a bit of an xpost from the Student Loans thread:

Long story short, my wife and I have filed married but separate due to how our student loan payments are calculated (it looks like there's a difference in payments of about $400/month if we filed jointly.) We just found out that our servicer will not recalculate payments for previous years if you file an amended tax return. So, if we filed an amended return for say, 2016 with a new filing status of married filing jointly, we should be eligible for all the deductions and credits that we missed out on, and our servicer says they will not go back and recalculate what we should have paid in 2016 and make us pay more.

Are there any restrictions to changing your filing status in an amended return? Does this raise any red flags? I think we may be able to get a lot more back since we'll be able to take a lot of deductions and credits that weren't available to us (especially since having kids.) But I don't want to raise our audit risk significantly and lose all the money we could have saved hiring representation for an audit or something. I really want to think this through before doing anything that could have consequences.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
So this year I have been and plan to continue selling ISO shares that I exercised last year, once they hit the 1 year mark for a qualified disposition. Assuming the stock price stays relatively steady (which I recognize is a big assumption), I stand to end the year with gains of approx $18.3-18.6k. I want to avoid a big payment next April (or worse, an underpayment penalty), so is the move here to take 15% of that amount, divide by my number of remaining paychecks, and change my W4 to have them withhold that much more?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Pretty sure it's unethical for a preparer to tell you to do x or y to minimize your audit risk. And the IRS is real cagey about why they select returns for audits. That being said, if you think you have a way around the student loan servicers, gently caress those guys.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lamont Cranston posted:

So this year I have been and plan to continue selling ISO shares that I exercised last year, once they hit the 1 year mark for a qualified disposition. Assuming the stock price stays relatively steady (which I recognize is a big assumption), I stand to end the year with gains of approx $18.3-18.6k. I want to avoid a big payment next April (or worse, an underpayment penalty), so is the move here to take 15% of that amount, divide by my number of remaining paychecks, and change my W4 to have them withhold that much more?

No, the way to do it is figure out how much the brokerage holds back for taxes on the sale and if that's not enough file and submit a quarterly estimated return.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

sullat posted:

Pretty sure it's unethical for a preparer to tell you to do x or y to minimize your audit risk. And the IRS is real cagey about why they select returns for audits. That being said, if you think you have a way around the student loan servicers, gently caress those guys.

Not trying to be unethical - was just not sure if an amended return gets increased scrutiny to weigh the risk of paying for audit representation vs the possible increased return. Some googling says that no, it goes through the same process as the original return:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/amend-return/video-does-amending-your-filing-status-trigger-a-tax-audit/L95C0WhLj

I was allowed to file jointly at the time of filing so I don't think there's anything sketch here w/r/t the IRS.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

AbbiTheDog posted:

The K-1, does to happen to have a 40/60 split on the straddles between LT/ST?

No, they are not split 60/40. Mixed straddles don't appear to get the same treatment as Section 1256 contracts.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

sullat posted:

To my knowledge there’s nothing inherently unethical about saying “X item is more likely to get you flagged for review” (hell, I’ve seen public articles listing those items), but of course no lying to get around it. As for this, you are allowed to go MFS to MFJ, it’s only the other way around that you can’t do since that would involve splitting the legal responsibility for the return after the fact (so it can’t be done after the original due date). Not especially likely to flag you to my knowledge, I would even expect it to be a relatively common amendment considering how many people file “single” without knowing the issues involved.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
If I'm amending a previous year to change from MFS to MFJ (along with my wife) do we need to file one amended return or two? Do i need to mail them together, or separately?

Edit: IRS says you file 1 1040x in this circumstance.

E-Money fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 28, 2018

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

E-Money posted:

If I'm amending a previous year to change from MFS to MFJ (along with my wife) do we need to file one amended return or two? Do i need to mail them together, or separately?

Edit: IRS says you file 1 1040x in this circumstance.

Yeah, it's one.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

MadDogMike posted:

To my knowledge there’s nothing inherently unethical about saying “X item is more likely to get you flagged for review” (hell, I’ve seen public articles listing those items), but of course no lying to get around it.

IRS circular 230 prohibits giving tax advice based upon audit risk is the ethical standard.

https://www.cpajournal.com/2017/03/20/applying-aicpas-professional-standards-tax-practice/

I make my staff read the circular 230, AICPA ethical standards, and the SSTS every year and signoff on it.

Actie
Jun 7, 2005
Situation: I am preparing the partnership return for a multi-member LLC incorporated in Delaware. 100% of the money earned by this partnership was earned in a different state (NJ). I’m all but certain I need to file a state return for NJ; am I obliged to file one for DE, too, simply because the entity is incorporated there, even if none of its income was earned there?

(The entity has timely paid the DE franchise tax.)

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Actie posted:

Situation: I am preparing the partnership return for a multi-member LLC incorporated in Delaware. 100% of the money earned by this partnership was earned in a different state (NJ). I’m all but certain I need to file a state return for NJ; am I obliged to file one for DE, too, simply because the entity is incorporated there, even if none of its income was earned there?

(The entity has timely paid the DE franchise tax.)

Per the instructions for the DE 300 partnership form, you only file a DE tax return for a partnership that has income or loss connected to a Delaware source. You don’t need an annual report for Delaware either, just that $300 franchise tax you already paid.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Situation: I'm Canadian looking to join my (also Canadian) partner in the Bay Area and entertaining a job offer from a startup. Because they're not big tech, I'm not getting an all-inclusive relocation package and am doing the legwork myself. I'm used to doing my own taxes in Canada, but evidently all of that doesn't apply to the US...

Is there a good resource for summaries of tax credits and deductions I can expect that I might want to factor in making the decision? For instance, I discovered that relocation expenses are no longer deductible for 2018, so suddenly the relocation package (taxable lump sum on first paycheque) seems even smaller than it was.

Also, although we were qualifying for common-law partners in Canada, I don't think this would be a strong enough test for the IRS in order for us to file jointly? Would getting a simple civil union in Canada before I move to the US be enough to qualify for domestic partnership, or are there minimum time periods and other such hurdles as is the case for spousal visas?

Jan fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 1, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I’m going to start delivering Order Up for some extra money, since it has a flexible schedule, my insurance already covers it unlike Uber, and I don’t have to deal with passengers barfing all over the upholstery. I’ve worked out the break even point an I’ll easily hit it. Post-tax, gas, and maintenance I estimate about $7.50 per hour, which should be right around minimum wage post-tax, probably better since minimum wage isn’t considering vehicle wear and tear. I also really enjoyed my old delivery job, which is a plus.

That justification aside, I’m wondering if I should set up a sole proprietorship to split up tax burden. I’m not sure exactly how it works. I would be using a personally owned vehicle, which muddies things for me further.

Basically my thought is that there’s no way my deductible expenses will get above the standard deduction. If I had it as a sole proprietorship could I pay for gas/maintenance costs associated with the business use out of the proprietorship before paying myself out of it? That way effectively having some expenses full-on pretax? Or would the business be taxed the same as if it were coming straight to me as an individual?

It’s a complicated question, so if it’s too complex for a post, could you recommend some reading to help me understand?

I might also use the proprietorship for other side work, but those ideas need to be thought through more thoroughly to figure out financial and time viability.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

22 Eargesplitten posted:

, I’m wondering if I should set up a sole proprietorship

Congratulations you just set up a sole proprietorship! Welcome to the world of small business owners.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Sole proprietorship just means you and the business are one and the same. There's nothing to set up. You can deduct the business expenses against the business income on Schedule C. Standard/itemized deductions don't come into play.

Perhaps you meant LLC or S-Corp? No, there's not much sense in doing that for your situation.

E: vvvvv If you're going to make up a name, you should get a DBA, but in this case why bother? Just use your real name.

SlapActionJackson fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 3, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Lol, that was easy. So just make up a name and declare that to Order Up?

FWIW I can get tax advice from my W2 job’s EAP, I just want to get a basic idea so I know the questions to ask.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Lol, that was easy. So just make up a name and declare that to Order Up?

Hang on a minute there. If you aren't using your own name you need to file a DBA (varies by state) - "doing business as". Otherwise you won't be able to open a checking account/deposit checks in an existing one with your made up name.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay. Maybe I’ll call the EAP after work to get some advice on this ASAP.

22 Eargesplitten DBA Rusty Shackleford is in sight.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
You don't need a DBA for your pseudo uber driver "business." You don't really need an EIN either, but at least those are free.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That’s so weird, I always assumed that I had to give my business a name. Pretty excited right now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That’s so weird, I always assumed that I had to give my business a name.

No, you don't. You can simply use your own name and then none of the other stuff is required.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have a bunch of income that is excluded under the FEIE since it is generated abroad.

I still have to pay self-employment tax on that income in the US.

I also pay a self-employment tax analogue in the country where that income originated.

It is my understanding that I can't take the Foreign Tax Credit or Deduction on any income that's covered by the FEIE (which makes sense because I'm not paying any income tax on it).

But can I include the local tax as a deductible expense, thus reducing my self-employment tax?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
There are tax treaty arrangements with many countries that excuse you from self-employment tax if you can prove coverage under the social insurance of your country of residence.

From the Schedule SE instructions:

quote:

The United States has social security agreements with many countries to eliminate dual taxes under two social security systems. Under these agreements, you generally must pay social security and Medicare taxes to only the country in which you live. The United States now has social security agreements with the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, South Korea, Spain, Slovak Republic, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.

If your self-employment income is exempt from SE tax, you should get a statement from the appropriate agency of the foreign country verifying that your self-employment income is subject to social security coverage in that country. If the foreign country won't issue the statement, contact the SSA Office of International Programs. Don’t complete Schedule SE. Instead, attach a copy of the statement to Form 1040 and enter “Exempt, see attached statement” on Form 1040, line 57.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately there's no treaty for my country.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
It sounds like you may want to consider incorporating in the foreign country, however that opens its own can of worms.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

sale on Banksy art posted:

It sounds like you may want to consider incorporating in the foreign country, however that opens its own can of worms.

I've already looked into this, and it's just way more expensive and complicated all around.

I'll just eat the tax then, it's not a huge deal.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

So I asked a while back about a company that was being sold and thus my stock was being liquidated/sold off. I haven't claimed the money yet but this event occurred back in 2017. I am now trying to talk to the company that is reclaiming the old stock certs so that I can get paid (whatever is left of what I put in).

My quick question is since I'm getting the money in 2018 but the event where my company was sold occurred in 2017, do I file the capital gains/losses for 2017 or 2018? Also this company that is accepting my company's old stock certs is making me fill out a W-9 form and not the 1099 I was expecting. Does that make sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
* Not an expert or professional

W9 sounds right, that's what you would provide to someone who will issue a 1099.

Have you realized a gain yet? When were your shares cashed out? I don't think the transaction with you has occurred yet.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 6, 2018