Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Sliding into my computer chair as my bird sits grooming atop my monitor:

"Hello, Amadeus."
"Hey you."

Sometimes it's the little things in life. :3:

that is so cute :)

Cricket always says "Hi Baby!!!" when she sees me or knows I walked in the door. She doesn't for my husband ...only me.

Yes, I melt every single time :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Awwww look at this handsome boi.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is a bird more work then a cat?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yes. Also more reward.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Turtlicious posted:

Not as much work as doing pull-ups lifting your house

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

nielsm posted:

Yes. Also more reward.

You find being constantly threatened by a predator in your own home rewarding?!

I love animals but...cats...are not my jam.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Log posted:

You find being constantly threatened by a predator in your own home rewarding?!

I love animals but...cats...are not my jam.

On the other hand, parrots are having a flying two-year-old with bolt cutters for a pet.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Turtlicious posted:

a lot

birds are very smart and very social and need constant stimulation all of the time. they are pets that are a little bit like people. the bigger birds are literally like having a child.

because birds are a bit like people, the relationship you will have with a bird is a lot different from the one you would have in a cat and it's really rewarding. it's like raising a little friend. :shobon:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've wanted to own a bird for a long time (due in no small part to this thread, you jerks), but I'm cognizant of the fact that my partner and I simply aren't home enough to be good bird parents. Like, I'm utterly allergic to cats and dogs, and birds seem like a wonderful alternative, but I legitimately fear we'd gently caress up bird ownership :(

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

MisterBibs posted:

I've wanted to own a bird for a long time (due in no small part to this thread, you jerks), but I'm cognizant of the fact that my partner and I simply aren't home enough to be good bird parents. Like, I'm utterly allergic to cats and dogs, and birds seem like a wonderful alternative, but I legitimately fear we'd gently caress up bird ownership :(

my partner and I both work full time and we have a pretty happy and well adjusted sun conure.

Unless by 'not at home' you mean you do FIFO or some poo poo like that where your bird won't see you for weeks on end then yeah that could cause issues.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Did I hear something about a birbation? :shobon:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thanks! :kimchi:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Have you considered rabbits? They take a lot of knowledge but are a good cat/dog alternative for working people.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Having a bird is about making sacrifices. I have sacrificed my ability to ever sleep in, my freedom to go away for a night or two, being able to pee alone, and the ability to wear nail polish (because Sera won't go near my hands if I wear any), among other things.

Still worth it, imo, but it's a lot.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

You're also committing to just not be able to hear things sometimes, because it is, often for no discernible reason, the time for screaming.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
And don’t be fooled by size. Even a budgie can reach 300 decibels when it feels like it (always)

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Mochi calls out for me in the kitchen or bathroom during the day too, but only screams for my husband. If I go to make lunch around the corner I hear 'Hey baby? Baby? Whatcha doin? C'mere! C'mere!' It's so cute what they pick up :3

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Sera has, just in the last week, realised that he's capable of flying down the hallway to the bathroom if I leave the door open. I live alone, so I often do. Nothing like peeing and then suddenly there's a bird on your shoulder.

I watched him make a series of experimental trips down the hallway (I live in a sort of L-shaped studio) and back before he came to this conclusion. A little ways down, then back. A little further down, then back. Having concluded that flying in the hallway is not fatal, he will do it all the time now.

But Ozzy still yells, because he can't fly, and even if he's super protective of his personal space from both me and Sera, he still wants to be able to see us. I can't win.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

MisterBibs posted:

Get a couple finches. Finches need less human engagement than parrots but can be hand-tamed and are entertaining little guys, if you don't mind a constant peep peep peep peep peep.

Or better yet, a pigeon(s)! This thread needs more pigeons.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Plant MONSTER. posted:

And don’t be fooled by size. Even a budgie can reach 300 decibels when it feels like it (always)

yeah, our loudest bird (by far) is a female budgie, who makes a peeping sound that is so absolutely earsplitting that I can feel it in my eyes

boo (male budgie) mimics it sometimes but he just cannot put out the same dBs so i can always tell it's him (still loud)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

This turns out to be a dog, but STILL:
https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/981729862242021376

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Spencer is currently making quiet honking noises while he sleeps and it is adorable :3

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Youth Decay posted:

Get a couple finches. Finches need less human engagement than parrots but can be hand-tamed and are entertaining little guys, if you don't mind a constant peep peep peep peep peep.

Or better yet, a pigeon(s)! This thread needs more pigeons.

Zebra finches are the peep peep type, my Societys do a weird shrill sound (and are kinda weird submissive birds in general) but my male Society has a way cooler song than the Zebras. Gouldians just die whenever I get them.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
Wot.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Zebra Finches are v nice! If you decide on them, get a same sex couple! Their urge to breed is ridiculous. Mine won't stop trying to build nests and laying eggs, no matter what I do. I've just ended up giving them a nest and nest material at this point and replacing their eggs with fake ones. The hen will pluck the male bald (with his consent) to use his feathers for nest building otherwise...

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/2qp11QT.jpg

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
i feel very attacked by that meme

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

The pet store I've been going to for over 20 years just had a fire. A lot of animals were saved, but they also lost more than a few, including an african grey that's been there for as long as I remember. And the sweetest cockatoo. None of the birds survived. I was planning on going to them to get a bird friend, but now.... quietly sobbing at work for all the lost pets.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 6, 2018

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

The pet store I've been going to for over 20 years just had a fire. A lot of animals were saved, but they also lost more than a few, including an african grey that's been there for as long as I remember. And the sweetest cockatoo. None of the birds survived. I was planning on going to them to get a bird friend, but now.... quietly sobbing at work for all the lost pets.

this breaks my heart :(

Even tho I know nothing of this store, I'm in tears as well atm...

Spare-Ohs
Mar 30, 2011
That's horrible to hear, Cookies. :( Those poor animals.

In slightly happier news, I'm now anxiously waiting for Roman's Parrot and Toy Empire to get their conure babies in. I finally took a trip up with the boyfriend and they were so amazing. Britney was kind enough to let me visit with the peach fronted conure. He was a little shy but eventually opened up and gave me a little nibble on my thumb. :3:

There was a super cheeky severe macaw, too. He was an adorable flirt, lots of heart wings. Definitely tried to lure me in to eat up my fingats.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Tiny, realistic parrots and other birds! This is the only kind of cockatoo I'd want in my house.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Ms. Serra finally stepped up! She has only been with me for half a year!

Since the amazing step, she has decided running full speed at me with her head nearly touching the ground is the best way to get scritches and NOT get picked up.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Mizuti posted:

Tiny, realistic parrots and other birds! This is the only kind of cockatoo I'd want in my house.

Unfortunately due to an error in the genetic modification process, the birds remain as loud or even louder than their full-size counterparts

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
It's like how they compress atoms to make them explode or something. I think that's how it works. I am not a nuclear scientist. But tiny bird = louder yelling on the same principles, I'm sure of it.

That being said, those are freaking cute I want some

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BirbFET metamaterial fabrication

We shrink the birb on one axis (size) by stretching it along two others (screm, :kimchi:)

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Trust me, big birb can screm very loud.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Small birds being surprisingly loud does not imply the inverse. Source: grew up with a macaw

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/mkNApGO.mp4

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Ahaha that's amazing

kevin + pabu are my tempestuous OTP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxmBWri3wNk

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007