Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

f#a# posted:

That dance-off was thematically perfect, but I really wish the music was more intense than a riff on the S1 credits loop. Still, I really enjoyed how each participant's personalities were mirrored by their dance styles, and how their troupes might as well have been mind-controlled.
I thought that was the challenge. Sure, David's a good dancer, but can he control his own body and 4 others with coordinated precision? It's like flexing for a mind-controller.

hatelull posted:

Was Lenny always a real person? Based on that opening thing with the scroll through the minds (oliver and lenny trapped -> farouk -> Oliver) Lenny and Oliver are stuck in Farouk's head, at least that's the interpretation I'm taking. My memory is fuzzy, but she was introduced in S1 as his asylum buddy and it's only via the slow reveal that we get Lenny was always just the Shadow King's manifestation in David's head right and never really existed?
Lenny was a real person in the asylum. They only met once they were at Clockwerks. Benny was another real person, a loud-mouthed male that was a druggie buddy of David's outside in the world. As part of the shadow king's wholesale retconning of David's memories, he plastered Lenny's image over Benny's, both to hide himself and make Lenny a stronger friend to influence David with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

night slime posted:

That robot in the most wanted list reminded me of Xorn.

But which Xorn...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL6J7FJmy1c

Lid fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 4, 2018

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Shitenshi posted:

Most good shows you can dive right in and still enjoy the hell out of them. I even got the gist of this one after jumping right in, there's this bad guy called the Shadow King and they're out to get him, give or take a bunch of weird visuals to pad out the screentime. Funny how Noah Hawley says most superhero stories are just simply getting a bad guy, and this show is exactly that once you strip it of the window dressing. This has got nothing to do with me complaining about not "getting it," I think this show is pretentious and uses a bunch of flashy visuals to disguise its needlessly slow and poorly paced storytelling.

lmao its about paranoid delusional psychosis and the bad guys arent even real u dumbass

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Sometimes I worry Legion is just being weird for weirdness sake.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

f#a# posted:

As for future-Syd, I don't think time travel has been entirely ruled out yet, and I do believe that she was benevolent, but there's definitely something David misinterpreted—just not sure what yet. (Yes, I'm aware the scene immediately before this was the delusion monster crawling under the bed)

Both "future" Syd and the delusion chicklet have a mutilated arm, so...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Le Saboteur posted:

Sometimes I worry Legion is just being weird for weirdness sake.

I enjoy it regardless. Shitenshi’s criticisms aren’t even totally invalid, it’s just that he was being such a douche about it and approaching everything wrong so it’s ridiculous.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

I enjoy it regardless. Shitenshi’s criticisms aren’t even totally invalid, it’s just that he was being such a douche about it and approaching everything wrong so it’s ridiculous.

I mean I love Twin Peaks especially the return but the strangeness seems to mean something most of the time. Whereas Fukuyama having little girls with bowl cuts and mustaches that speak for him seem to be just there to make me go Oh isn't that strange!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Open Source Idiom posted:

Both "future" Syd and the delusion chicklet have a mutilated arm, so...

My wife thought future-Syd's missing arm was a callback to the delusion guy hacking his leg off.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Le Saboteur posted:

I mean I love Twin Peaks especially the return but the strangeness seems to mean something most of the time. Whereas Fukuyama having little girls with bowl cuts and mustaches that speak for him seem to be just there to make me go Oh isn't that strange!

of course comparing it to twin peaks the return will end unfavorably

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The "weirdness" exists to rob the viewer of the stability afforded by expectation. Furthermore most of the weirdness is influenced heavily by mental illness.

night slime
May 14, 2014
The show's pretty straightforward after a while. I imagine that really is Syd from the future, and everything from the trailers and next episode preview seems to indicate that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

My wife thought future-Syd's missing arm was a callback to the delusion guy hacking his leg off.

And while that's certainly possible, when you combine the missing arms with the scene transitions leading into and out of the "future" Sydney scenes, I think it becomes pretty clear that she's the baby goo bird.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I'm agreeing with you.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

I'm agreeing with you.

Oh haha, whoops. My bad. I guess it's that thing where you apparently lose 90% of the meaning inherent to communication when you reduce it purely to the words that you're saying. I'm sorry for misinterpreting you.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 5, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh boy, am i regretting coming to this thread. It's been back 24 hours and already the place is a shitfight.

Who would have thunk a show about mental illness would do... that...

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Following up on the music comment I made about the dance-off, this episode was kind of lacking in the scoring department. Like, episode 7 last season, the Bolero was not only the best possible selection of music for that scene, but man did they do a cool trick with it and spin it. Legit one of my favorite scenes in visual media.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I thought the cover of White Rabbit was pretty neat.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Midway through watching the season 2 premier, it's good.

Extremely minor :spergin: science quibble: radiocarbon has a half-life of almost 6,000 years so it'd be useless for determining if David's body had aged one year.

Not that realism or any sense of sanity matters in this show, the entire focus is on David's mind, the minds of other characters, psychosis, memories, etc. The actual physical world doesn't matter it's just a setting that the important stuff exists in. Hence the ambiguous time period.

Rocksicles posted:

Oh boy, am i regretting coming to this thread. It's been back 24 hours and already the place is a shitfight.

Who would have thunk a show about mental illness would do... that...

Nah it's just one dude who doesn't "get" serialized TV. It's fine to not like Legion but lol at the idea you should be able to watch any random episode of a TV series and know what's going on.

Good lord, imagine him trying to watch The Wire.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Le Saboteur posted:

We're one episode into the new season. I tried the first season 3 times before it clicked and I'm just as in the dark and yet curious about what's to come as I was when I watched S1E1. Sure there was some stuff from the first season that was weird but by the end it tied things together really well, no reason to assume this won't either.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
So here's my take on the dance-off. David actually ends up clueing Oliver into Farouk's poo poo but Farouk got the delusion planted into David. Oliver has Farouk trapped in Oliver's own mental construct in the opening scene, because he's good at those. (music wall and his own swanky flat while he was frozen)

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

night slime posted:

That robot in the most wanted list reminded me of Xorn.

Admiral Fukuyama made me thing more of Xorn, what with the robot head. More than that though, I feel like someone said "what if the Stepford cuckoos but ala Legion" and then came up with the mustache chicks.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The screaming tea kettle representing rising anger in the two ladies was neat.

Not sure what to make of the dance scene. Maybe it's a memory? Ptonomy says David was in the club with Oliver/Farouk. Could the dance-off be David remembering a psychic battle with Oliver/Farouk in the dance club? Maybe he's been flying around in the orb for the past year battling the Shadow King and every time they have a psychic fight it fries the brains of everyone around and they become chatterers.

Thought it was pretty clear that future-Syd is a delusion planted by SK.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The mustache women all looked like the singer from Foxy Shazam

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Cael posted:

Admiral Fukuyama made me thing more of Xorn, what with the robot head. More than that though, I feel like someone said "what if the Stepford cuckoos but ala Legion" and then came up with the mustache chicks.

I lolled at Fukuyama being a literal basket case

but yeah I got a Xorn + cuckoos vibe from them too

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
It's bizarre that a week after finding out that Jon Hamm was tabbed to play Mr Sinister in the New Mutants movie originally, now he is narrating Legion.

Season 2 with a strong start, couldn't look away the entire episode.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

hope and vaseline posted:

I lolled at Fukuyama being a literal basket case

but yeah I got a Xorn + cuckoos vibe from them too

Fukuyama feels a little tryhard weird but again, I think you're missing the point if you try and read too much into it.

Fukuyama:
is the boss
has a robot brain so can't be mind-read
exposition dumps to David that SK is looking for his physical body

Kind of reminds me of Colonel Chestbridge the eagle-headed boss on Danger Five. I expect Fukuyama won't get much screentime or develop into a major character.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
If The One Armed Syd wasn't from the future, why does Carrie say he thinks he made the orb, in the upcoming scenes they showed. Is it possible that they really did come from the future to say that they were wrong and they need the SK to help fight a stronger mutant? Will each season just introduce a stronger mutant? Why did I put this in a spoiler tag?

Also I think what's his face should pick a random episode of Twin Peaks to start watching that. I'm thinking S3 E8 or anything from the back half of season 2.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Future Syd was also wearing the compass David had just given Present Syd. I dunno if that helps prove or disprove she was fake.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Future Syd has to be real in some sense, because the alternative (that she's just a fabrication or acting under duress) is too predictable and too simple.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

qbert posted:

Future Syd was also wearing the compass David had just given Present Syd. I dunno if that helps prove or disprove she was fake.

It was telegraphed super hard with the whole egg hatching into a chicken and a tar monster sequence. A delusion requires something rational to really take root. The tar chick eats the wing (arm) off the regular chick, that's it's rational bit. Then you see the tar monster chick crawling under David's bed right before the future-Syd sequence.

Sure, it could be misdirection, but it seemed very clear that future-armless-Syd was a delusion.

Maybe the compass is the rational bit that convinces David the delusion is real.

Who loving knows, that's kind of the point of this show.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Flyinglemur posted:

If The One Armed Syd wasn't from the future, why does Carrie say he thinks he made the orb, in the upcoming scenes they showed. Is it possible that they really did come from the future to say that they were wrong and they need the SK to help fight a stronger mutant? Will each season just introduce a stronger mutant? Why did I put this in a spoiler tag?

Also I think what's his face should pick a random episode of Twin Peaks to start watching that. I'm thinking S3 E8 or anything from the back half of season 2.

Yeah, I am thinking it really is future Syd, but I don't think its for a team up to fight a stronger mutant, I think its because in order to destroy the Shadow King, they have to get him in his own body, otherwise lots of other people die in attempts to kill him

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

While I think that there is definitely some sort of delusion involved, and based on what we saw, it was created or at least nurtured by the Shadow King(well the Lenny part of the Shadow King at least), I'm not sure which part of what we saw was the delusion and what was the truth. But as I think about it, I grow suspicious about the continued existence of Farouk's body.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The only bad thing about this is that I binged the whole show over a few days last year, and so I could just go onto the next episode, but now I have to wait!

Anyways, still fantastic, even if you didn't know what was going on the characters and sets are enough to keep you engaged. More dancing. The Admirals choir say to me a bizzaro version of the Stepford Cuckoos, being more of a hive mind than normal. I'm not saying they're them, just the remind me of it, with creepy Gladyos voices.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
on the off chance that David is in his own head. Fukuyama might be david under there.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Why are people saying Real Lenny is trapped in the Shadow King Eyeball Land? I thought SK just used Lenny's appearance to gain David's trust. She's just a girl who's dead in a wall.

And if "being in an eyeball" is code for being trapped, does that mean Oliver is fully trapping SK?

I only watched episodes in the Fibonacci Sequence though, so maybe I missed something.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Flyinglemur posted:

Why did I put this in a spoiler tag?[/spoiler]

We don't know. We're not psychic :grin:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

f#a# posted:

Following up on the music comment I made about the dance-off, this episode was kind of lacking in the scoring department. Like, episode 7 last season, the Bolero was not only the best possible selection of music for that scene, but man did they do a cool trick with it and spin it. Legit one of my favorite scenes in visual media.

its the first episode

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Watching this show is kinda like the first few moments after waking up from a lucid dream. Show is good.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I am kind of confused why they didn't use that music that kicked in during the dance scene in the trailer for the actual scene. The music made the scene overall kind of low key and just felt a bit quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Shitenshi posted:

Don't need permission to do that methinks. Just wondering if after watching, there was a me problem or a show problem, and clearly it's the latter. Thanks all.

It’s a you problem.