Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm reminded of this constantly by the comments for various WNs and manga. People very explicitly want stories with edgy overpowered MCs. They get angry when the MCs are "pussies" (read: any MC who isn't a misanthrope and/or antisocial tool, like the Shield Hero guy).

I think those opinions, when expressed as an unironic genuine preference (as opposed to someone who acknowledges it's trashy), make me look down on someone else more than almost any other opinion I've ever encountered. Like, there are opinions that make me angry or insulted, but people with this sort of opinion about nerd media just trigger a strong feeling of "disdainful condescension," for lack of a better term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Sindai posted:

Speaking of oddly specific likes and dislikes, in Against the Gods the protagonist has, for the third time, been trapped with an extremely beautiful and much more powerful woman who's dying and can only be saved by having sex with him.

I'm laughing at the thought of the writer's self insert only getting to gently caress women who will die if they don't.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

Speaking of oddly specific likes and dislikes, in Against the Gods the protagonist has, for the third time, been trapped with an extremely beautiful and much more powerful woman who's dying and can only be saved by having sex with him.

it's the deegan thing over and over again. the authors manufacture crisis that can only be solved by raping some woman, often for their own good. it's incredibly hosed up, incredibly common and the reason why i started filtering novelupdates releases.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Ever since I found out you can exclude series with certain tags from NovelUpdates, things have been a lot easier for me.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So in 'Am I a God?', which is a new release on Qidian, a magic meteor flew over Earth or whatever and now (some?) cats have superpowers and our protagonist was bitten by his cat just as the meteor flew by, so now he can talk to the now human-level intelligent supercats and gain use of their powers if they acknowledge him as their human. And of course, there is the usual reality gamification aspect, where he now gets cat-related missions and experience in a special book in his head and gets to level up himself and his cats.

As you can tell from this description, this is shaping up to be a masterpiece.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Sindai posted:

3 times? I'm going to assume for a second this isn't being played for laughs or anything as dark humor and it's just nope completely straight.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Sindai posted:

It keeps happening!!!!

Its probably better for the genre as a whole if main characters are weirdly celibate even around their wife like Meng Hao was.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

It keeps happening!!!!

Its probably better for the genre as a whole if main characters are weirdly celibate even around their wife like Meng Hao was.

Meng Hao was a good boy. Too bad the series lost what made it interesting after he left planet South Heaven, and honestly for a good while before that too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol i dropped the exterminator isekai wn because the translation was so bad, and i checked to see if the manga was any better. the translation was fine, but of loving course the guy acquired slaves by the second chapter. and as usual, it was slaves who were really eager to be property with vague bullshit reasons why they could never not be slaves.

i think that slavery fetishist wn authors could really benefit from regular beatings. not as slaves themselves or anything, but just in general.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Can you even create an isekai without a slave harem these days? I think it is actually a prerequisite for the genre now.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Nalin posted:

Can you even create an isekai without a slave harem these days? I think it is actually a prerequisite for the genre now.

Read better work, op.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
For what little it's worth the Exterminator does free his slaves a few chapters later.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Megazver posted:

So in 'Am I a God?', which is a new release on Qidian, a magic meteor flew over Earth or whatever and now (some?) cats have superpowers and our protagonist was bitten by his cat just as the meteor flew by, so now he can talk to the now human-level intelligent supercats and gain use of their powers if they acknowledge him as their human. And of course, there is the usual reality gamification aspect, where he now gets cat-related missions and experience in a special book in his head and gets to level up himself and his cats.

As you can tell from this description, this is shaping up to be a masterpiece.

Does he gently caress any cats

Please tell me he doesn't gently caress (or otherwise romance) any cats or cat-turned-humanoids.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Does he gently caress any cats

Please tell me he doesn't gently caress (or otherwise romance) any cats or cat-turned-humanoids.

He seems to love his cat in the regular sort of way, but he doesn't seem to want to gently caress cats. So far, at least.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

McTimmy posted:

For what little it's worth the Exterminator does free his slaves a few chapters later.

the slave was introduced in a scene where the guy realized that it would be okay to gently caress her because she is his property. that's a big ol' nope.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

lol i dropped the exterminator isekai wn because the translation was so bad, and i checked to see if the manga was any better. the translation was fine, but of loving course the guy acquired slaves by the second chapter. and as usual, it was slaves who were really eager to be property with vague bullshit reasons why they could never not be slaves.

i think that slavery fetishist wn authors could really benefit from regular beatings. not as slaves themselves or anything, but just in general.

It's such a weird trope that has become weirdly prevalent. An older trope that I used to see a lot was a magic supergirl would randomly show up in the story and love the MC for no reason at all while somehow giving him magical super powers. At some point MC's stopped getting their super powers from magical girls and instead just randomly have them for no reason; consequently(? idk where this leap in logic comes from but here we are...) the magical girls now get regulated to slave status in the story.

That's sort of my take anyway, since 99% of the "slave" characters in these stories could just as easily have been... you know. Not slaves. And instead just be random people the MC befriended.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the slave was introduced in a scene where the guy realized that it would be okay to gently caress her because she is his property. that's a big ol' nope.

Lol

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

As a rule of thumb you shouldn't be reading stories where the protagonist is contemplating raping slaves.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

sunken fleet posted:

That's sort of my take anyway, since 99% of the "slave" characters in these stories could just as easily have been... you know. Not slaves. And instead just be random people the MC befriended.

That would mean making friends though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

As a rule of thumb you shouldn't be reading stories where the protagonist is contemplating raping slaves.

Yeah, such limp wristed wishy-washiness shows a contemptible lack of will.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Until this issue is solved all isekai web novels are banned and instead you all have to read...

*looks down at notepad*

Translations of vintage taishou era romance novels.

Violators will be drawn and quartered, thank you.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Nalin posted:

I actually havn't ran into a slave harem in a little while, a few where one of the harem members is a slave they immediately freed, but not one where they stay slaves for any amount of time.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Imma read all the slave harem novels.

All of them.

*dies of old age*

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

that's why i stopped reading it, yes

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Sharkopath posted:

Until this issue is solved all isekai web novels are banned

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Chronische posted:

Meng Hao was a good boy. Too bad the series lost what made it interesting after he left planet South Heaven, and honestly for a good while before that too.

ISSTH is divided into boring curbstomp fights and incredible shenanigans, and unfortunately the latter shows up less and less as the series goes on.

I think the highest point of the whole story is when some super-god is trying to kill him with a transdimensional soul-eating fishing rod from the sky that stops time and meng hao's response is to run around stealing everyone's poo poo while time is stopped and it's chasing him

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 5, 2018

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Yinlock posted:

ISSTH is divided into boring curbstomp fights and incredible shenanigans, and unfortunately the latter shows up less and less as the series goes on.

I think the highest point of the whole story is when some super-god is trying to kill him with a transdimensional soul-eating fishing rod from the sky that stops time and meng hao's response is to run around stealing everyone's poo poo while time is stopped and it's chasing him

His time in the Reliance Sect was pretty good too, but anything that gives him a chance to hoover up as much loot as possible was usually the start of a good time. Like when he entered the Fang clan's secret world and stole from the offerings, leaving behind stuff not even 1/10,000th the value, and the convoluted justification he had for doing so.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I enjoyed him looting the tiles (shingles?) while everyone else was fighting over some treasures or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm catching up with Forge of Destiny (I tend to wait 1-2 months between reading updates) and Ling Qi's whole talk with Cai and her related thoughts have been really good. The whole internal debate she's having about the selfish motivation for her bonds and what have you (like secretly enjoying that she's Xiulan's only friend, or just accepting Li Suyin's admiration) is pretty well written and makes her strike good balance between your more sociopathic Chinese WN protagonist and amore typical morally righteous hero. I'm thinking that the best option in terms of her future would be to go the Argent Sect route, since she's way too young to commit to the family of one of the people she met during her first year at the Sect. She doesn't seem to fit with Cai's ideals at all, and while I like the Gu guy that would also be a super hasty decision; she's going to meet more people and have more opportunities later, and going for Argent Sect is a good option to just stick to while waiting and seeing if anything better comes up. I thought she was kind of a dick in response to Cai revealing stuff about herself, though. Like, she asked to hear more about her, and then she's like "uh, maybe we should just talk about tea next time." I feel bad for Cai; probably the first time the poor girl has been honest with one of her peers, and Ling Qi is just like "okay weirdo."

As a side note, I think she should hook up with Gan Guangli. He seems like the only guy she can comfortable talk to, and he fits the whole "swole dudes" aesthetic she desires. Granted, if she rejects Cai's offer I'm not sure how he'd react.

edit: Wait, now she seems confused about Meizhen again? The part of me that is reading this as just an indulgent nerd media thing wants her to hook up with Meizhen to make the characters happy, but the part concerned with the actual quality of the writing/plotting knows it shouldn't happen.
edit2: Okay I got to the following scene that basically makes everything explicit. It was dealt with very well but still makes me sad :(
edit3(lol): Han Jian interlude was also really good. He's a really well written character. poo poo, so are pretty much all the other characters in this story; it never ceases to amaze me how dramatically better this is than the vast majority of popular, money-making actual WNs I've read.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 6, 2018

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Cat story update: Still no cat-loving. Protagonist is throwing (super-power acquired) money around in ways that makes it obvious the author is poor as gently caress. Cats are kinda cute. Also, this loving typo, hahaha: 'Zhao Yao shook his head and replied, "Don't force the isXiaoe, dude. If she doesn't like you, why continue pestering her?"' How the gently caress does that even happen!?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Megazver posted:

Cat story update: Still no cat-loving. Protagonist is throwing (super-power acquired) money around in ways that makes it obvious the author is poor as gently caress. Cats are kinda cute. Also, this loving typo, hahaha: 'Zhao Yao shook his head and replied, "Don't force the isXiaoe, dude. If she doesn't like you, why continue pestering her?"' How the gently caress does that even happen!?

An ill-conceived find-and-replace of Su to Xiao would be my first guess.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I'm catching up with Forge of Destiny (I tend to wait 1-2 months between reading updates) and Ling Qi's whole talk with Cai and her related thoughts have been really good. The whole internal debate she's having about the selfish motivation for her bonds and what have you (like secretly enjoying that she's Xiulan's only friend, or just accepting Li Suyin's admiration) is pretty well written and makes her strike good balance between your more sociopathic Chinese WN protagonist and amore typical morally righteous hero. I'm thinking that the best option in terms of her future would be to go the Argent Sect route, since she's way too young to commit to the family of one of the people she met during her first year at the Sect. She doesn't seem to fit with Cai's ideals at all, and while I like the Gu guy that would also be a super hasty decision; she's going to meet more people and have more opportunities later, and going for Argent Sect is a good option to just stick to while waiting and seeing if anything better comes up. I thought she was kind of a dick in response to Cai revealing stuff about herself, though. Like, she asked to hear more about her, and then she's like "uh, maybe we should just talk about tea next time." I feel bad for Cai; probably the first time the poor girl has been honest with one of her peers, and Ling Qi is just like "okay weirdo."

As a side note, I think she should hook up with Gan Guangli. He seems like the only guy she can comfortable talk to, and he fits the whole "swole dudes" aesthetic she desires. Granted, if she rejects Cai's offer I'm not sure how he'd react.

edit: Wait, now she seems confused about Meizhen again? The part of me that is reading this as just an indulgent nerd media thing wants her to hook up with Meizhen to make the characters happy, but the part concerned with the actual quality of the writing/plotting knows it shouldn't happen.
edit2: Okay I got to the following scene that basically makes everything explicit. It was dealt with very well but still makes me sad :(
edit3(lol): Han Jian interlude was also really good. He's a really well written character. poo poo, so are pretty much all the other characters in this story; it never ceases to amaze me how dramatically better this is than the vast majority of popular, money-making actual WNs I've read.

Cai was always my least favorite of the options but it'll work out. Eventually. Probably.

It helps that I actually like the Cai scenes we've gotten a lot even if I think the Sect route was the superior option.

also lol @ Cai not realizing Ling Qi had a real defense for when she actually gets hit, also seems like she assumed Ling Qi knew more about her mother's history than she really did

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I'm waiting for some updates to build up since the last time I checked Forge of Destiny myself, but I always felt like sticking with the sect was a bit too much of a safe option, and also not really a good use of Ling Qi's skill set. Also I like the politics in general. Cai seemed like the best 'in' and I didn't like how standoffish Ling Qi was with her.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Yinlock posted:

Have you read Fishing the Myriad Heavens? It's basically nothing but boring curbstomp fights, shenanigans with a transdimensional fishing rod, and foodie sections where he cooks and eats things he fished out of other xianxia novels.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Tobermory posted:

Have you read Fishing the Myriad Heavens? It's basically nothing but boring curbstomp fights, shenanigans with a transdimensional fishing rod, and foodie sections where he cooks and eats things he fished out of other xianxia novels.
Along with a strong dose of gently caress japan.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Tobermory posted:

Only reading for the cooking, fishing, and random house improvement sections.

Also yeah Goblin Slayer is extremely rapey which is a shame because its nice to have a MC who just gets poo poo done without super dumb flashy gear.

Edit:Along that vein if anybody has any suggestion for novels like that I would appreciate it.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 8, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kyoujin posted:

I enjoyed him looting the tiles (shingles?) while everyone else was fighting over some treasures or something.

oh man i forgot about him strip-mining an ancient city for precious spiritual roofing

when issth was good it was insanely good

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Someone mentioned a story about a sentinent truck going around offing Isekei protags. Anyone got a link to that story?

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Edit: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was a joke and like a paragraph long