Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

mango sentinel posted:

I hosed up an Alpha Legion shoulder pad trying to shave off the insignia. Is there a good way to press mold an insignia and make another hydra to transfer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wjpJTDuMUQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I use a lot of VGA paints and the quality is fine. I don’t see any appreciable difference between them and model color.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Vallejo Game Air is a good line but Vallejo Game Color has some really dodgy individual colors. Like, Vallejo Game Color Black Green is almost unusable.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

The issue I have with Game Air is that I'm paying primarily for flow improver. Agreed it's a good line but I only buy it if it's a color I really need.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

This is exactly what I was hoping for, thanks!

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Stephenls posted:

Vallejo Game Air is a good line but Vallejo Game Color has some really dodgy individual colors. Like, Vallejo Game Color Black Green is almost unusable.

Oh, poo poo? It's not just me? I tried to use it, but it wouldn't adhere for poo poo.

Other than that, my vgc experience has been fine. There are some paints with no good equivalents in there like hammered copper. Apart from that, though, Vallejo model air metals are all better.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Game Air Bright Bronze has been kicking as for my Khorne Blood Bros.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

pun pundit posted:

Excellently presented advice, thank you!

The only thing is, I am looking at fantasy and some sci-fi models; I read that the Vallejo Model Color line was intended for historical model painting, with a surfeit of uniform and camo colours as opposed to the bolder Game Color range. Is this a real concern for fantasy and sci-fi models?

VMC does have a surfeit of realistic browns greens and greys, but it's also like four times the size of any other range so it has plenty of more vivid colors too. It also plays nicely enough with the game color range so there's no reason you can't use both together. Game color seems a bit glossier, though.

I'd suggest just buying a basic set of the colors you learned in Kindergarten and branching out from there as your needs require. If you start out with a set of 100 paints it might be years before you even open half of them. You also might not stick with the hobby and never end up using them.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

nesbit37 posted:

I finished painting and basing all of the armies for the battle of five armies last week. I'll put pictures up of them all once I finish the last 9 heroes for the set. Wanted to post now because an awesome storage solution arrived for me last week and I love it so far. It's using gem trays and gem transportation cases for miniatures, taken from this blog: http://belchedfromthedepths.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-quest-for-perfect-miniatures.html

The hard cases are a little over $60 for an aluminum one that holds 12" worth of trays. The trays come in 1,2 or 3 inches and you can combine them with a little extra effort if needed. The 1" trays fit most of my 10mm, the 2" trays fit most 28mm minis and the 3" fit most 28mm cavalry. I just added some flex metal I had around to the bottom of the trays and everything holds fast and transports great, and it is helping organizing things for painting/basing/organization workflow.

The vendor gems on display was great as well. Two of the 2 inch trays were shattered and the corner cracked on the case by FedEx when shipping and they just sent me free replacements that arrived today.

I just ordered this stuff. Thanks 3+ years ago goons.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 3, 2018

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

The Moon Monster posted:

I'd suggest just buying a basic set of the colors you learned in Kindergarten and branching out from there as your needs require. If you start out with a set of 100 paints it might be years before you even open half of them. You also might not stick with the hobby and never end up using them.

Yeah this is the best advice.
VGC, VMC, Citadel, P3, Reaper... I've used them all (often on a single model), and although they each have slightly different characteristics, they will all get your job done. I'd say go with the brand that you have the best access to the most colors you're interested in using, and then if there are colors from other ranges you need just pick them up singley.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah this is the best advice.
VGC, VMC, Citadel, P3, Reaper... I've used them all (often on a single model), and although they each have slightly different characteristics, they will all get your job done. I'd say go with the brand that you have the best access to the most colors you're interested in using, and then if there are colors from other ranges you need just pick them up singley.

It's hard to get good paints for some colors (red, white, and yellow are probably the worst offenders). That's why I made this list, which compiles all the paints people have frequently-recommended. That should hopefully make it easier to get a decent collection of paints that actually work well without a ton of fuss.

As usual, if I'm missing any paints, let me know and I'll add them to the list.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

The Moon Monster posted:

There was a video on YouTube some years back, I think it was by AGP Productions. The guy in the video went over all the basic colors a beginner might need to get started painting (and mixing said colors instead of having to run out and buy every different shade or highlight color on top of the basics).

He also did a video around the same time that talked about why he preferred Vallejo to Reaper with the tl;dr being that Reaper at the time was designed for people who preferred to wet blend while painting, while Vallejo were not (and thus easier to use for newbies). Again that was some years back, so Reaper might have changed the formulation of their paints by now.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

There was a video on YouTube some years back, I think it was by AGP Productions. The guy in the video went over all the basic colors a beginner might need to get started painting (and mixing said colors instead of having to run out and buy every different shade or highlight color on top of the basics).

He also did a video around the same time that talked about why he preferred Vallejo to Reaper with the tl;dr being that Reaper at the time was designed for people who preferred to wet blend while painting, while Vallejo were not (and thus easier to use for newbies). Again that was some years back, so Reaper might have changed the formulation of their paints by now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1y4y6ZV2hQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih0CiwAcUgg

goodness fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 4, 2018

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Mixing your own colors is also good advice that doesn't get shared often. Especially if you're painting RPG figs and don't need to keep things consistent across an army. For the longest time I got along fine with just a few colors (primaries + black, white, brown and metallics) and mixed all my tones (including washes) on my palette. It wasn't until I started painting 40k figures that I started buying specific tones.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Bucnasti posted:

Mixing your own colors is also good advice that doesn't get shared often. Especially if you're painting RPG figs and don't need to keep things consistent across an army. For the longest time I got along fine with just a few colors (primaries + black, white, brown and metallics) and mixed all my tones (including washes) on my palette. It wasn't until I started painting 40k figures that I started buying specific tones.

Between craft paints and artist acrylics, I've got a shitload of colors to be sure, but I'll still mix them when painting. I very rarely do something like just highlight with a single color by itself, unless I'm going for a quick and dirty approach or something like that. Like when I do flesh tones, I usually don't go with just "shade/base/highlight", but more like "shade/shade + base/base/base + highlight/base + a little more highlight/highlight (and maybe a glaze to bring it all together if the highlights end up being too stark)".

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

I went to check what this guy's modern videos look like and they are goddamn identical in every way except he is 7 years older and has a beard. It's kind of terrifying.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Changing from an Industrial theme to a... Fantasy theme? Is daunting. So I started on the Steelheart's Champions bases from starter set of Shadespire. Happy with how relatively clean they came out. Noticed a few stray pops of colour when looking at the photos, but ah well. Now to work on the Reavers bases!

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I'm trying to figure out a good way of making Chinese-themed mosaic bases for my Yu Jing.

Mosaic ones seem to be pretty niche, and none of the ones I've found have a particularly Chinese feel. Plus, a lot of the texture stamps tend to have areas of nice detail, but the actual tiles just look subway-y.

I've tried to do something with Milliput, but it's been difficult to work with, at least for a beginner. I'd also rather make a larger area stamp I can put different parts of on bases than sculpt each one.

Any recommendations?

Do any of these appeal?

http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/51-textured-rolling-pins

I've had a great time using them.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

I went to check what this guy's modern videos look like and they are goddamn identical in every way except he is 7 years older and has a beard. It's kind of terrifying.

jfc you're right

he even has the same haircut

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Moola posted:

jfc you're right

he even has the same haircut

Somewhere in his attic there's a "Marneus Calgar on Throne" model that looks like Billy Crystal in The Princess Bride.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

Somewhere in his attic there's a "Marneus Calgar on Throne" model that looks like Billy Crystal in The Princess Bride.

AND THAT THRONE IS MOUNTED ON A BRUMMBÄR.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Any brushes at Hobby Lobby worth a poo poo? I am heading down to the states next Friday from Canada and I see they have a ton of brushes. I’m basic as gently caress right now but unsure if should waste my time.

We have Michaels here but I am unsure if anything is good enough there?

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Any idea how to restore vallejo paint if mixing isnt working? When I squirted out some off-white it spilled medium followed by wet gloops, like the consistency of ricotta cheese. Its still usable, just harder to thin and mix into my brush. Shaking it didnt work

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Geoff Zahn posted:

Any idea how to restore vallejo paint if mixing isnt working? When I squirted out some off-white it spilled medium followed by wet gloops, like the consistency of ricotta cheese. Its still usable, just harder to thin and mix into my brush. Shaking it didnt work

Put an agitator (e.g. a glass bead) in the bottle, or if you don't want to do that, stir it with something like a toothpick?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Any brushes at Hobby Lobby worth a poo poo? I am heading down to the states next Friday from Canada and I see they have a ton of brushes. I’m basic as gently caress right now but unsure if should waste my time.

You'll get the same selection as at Michael's, with the same value-added benefit of the public and indifferent employees screwing up the tips. Unless you're in the market for disposable brushes, just spend the few bucks extra and buy good ones online.

Geoff Zahn posted:

Pop the tip off and stir the hell out of it with a small paintbrush handle. Make sure you clear the goopy stuff out of the tip too (that's what she said!) Sometimes, the paint is too far gone, but a good stir usually fixes things.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I accidentally bought some "scrubber" brushes the other day intending to buy some cheap square brushes for dry brushing. The bristles are very stiff and rough and it tears up the paper towel when I try to wipe paint off of it. Are these a bad idea for dry brushing, and if so, do they have any other use or should I just return them?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

mango sentinel posted:

:stare:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

I'm just gonna say that were looking at a basement in a parent's house. I can't think of a better explanation for a lack of change during a decade where most people experience a wealth of change.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Put that loving book back right now :colbert:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I disassembled my Badger Patriot to try and clean things up but I am having an absolute devil of a time getting the trigger mechanism to go back together properly, despite watching videos. To clarify: I want to have the pressure pad to go straight into the well I can see inside the main barrel of the airbrush, then the curved metal plate goes...with its tip against the side of the well?

E:

Pyrolocutus fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 5, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Vintersorg posted:

Well-beaten but don't go to Hobby Lobby, anti-birth control Iraqi relic buying motherfuckers, the lot.

"No ethical consumption under capitalism" doesn't mean you should seek out the worst fuckos and hand them your money.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Pyrolocutus posted:

I disassembled my Badger Patriot to try and clean things up but I am having an absolute devil of a time getting the trigger mechanism to go back together properly, despite watching videos. To clarify: I want to have the pressure pad to go straight into the well I can see inside the main barrel of the airbrush, then the curved metal plate goes...with its tip against the side of the well?

E:

Just line the holes up so that the needle will go through and it will all work out?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

General Olloth posted:

Just line the holes up so that the needle will go through and it will all work out?

My issue is the little curved plate keeps slipping like crazy and I'm having difficulty getting it to sit properly while the pressure pad goes back in. The portion about anchoring it against the well was my way of asking how to get it to sit securely.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Pyrolocutus posted:

My issue is the little curved plate keeps slipping like crazy and I'm having difficulty getting it to sit properly while the pressure pad goes back in. The portion about anchoring it against the well was my way of asking how to get it to sit securely.

Put it in and hold it down and back with the trigger, then just screw in the needle tube/chucking guide.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

ijyt posted:

Put it in and hold it down and back with the trigger, then just screw in the needle tube/chucking guide.

Holy moley, that worked. Thanks! That drat thing kept falling all over the place.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Stop it this is freaking me out

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Pyrolocutus posted:

Holy moley, that worked. Thanks! That drat thing kept falling all over the place.

Yeah that sliding locking piece is a fiddly little fucker but seems to behave when you poke in the trigger. Counterintuitive. Mine likes to rotate 180 amd stick.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I usually throw the needle chuck/spring assembly in first and let it hold that piece forwards until I put the trigger in.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Question regarding pigment fixers - does anyone know what it actually is? I've read online it's just white spirits.

I'm thinking of putting some into a small spray bottle so that i can spray over my terrain pieces to lock down the dry pigment that's currently on my stuff. I just don't want it rubbing off on peoples hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I like the Secret Weapon Pigments Fixer. I think it is high flow clear matte enamel.

It's really awesome.