Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5752/black-sea-black-death

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/14387/duel-kharkov

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8283/blood-thunder

Not sorry for the Long OP links, I'm old & cranky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

rchandra posted:

A half tray for each player with the expansion? Even putting two types in many of the compartments I ended up using a full one .. I guess if I bagged the home space counters and civilian ships that might work. Although the times I've cut trays the lids haven't worked properly afterwards.

I'm currently thinking it will be the CE/Replicator boxes + a card box or something for cards + hex tiles. Alternately, perhaps like 3 trays in one box and 2 trays + cards/hexes/pads/etc. in the 3" white box.

Yeah, I bagged all the system stuff and jammed two types into each well. Same with civilian ships, like you intuited. The lids arent too much of an issue, because the box is jammed tight and they don't have much room to slide off. In an ideal world, GMT would make half size trays with less lip so you could fit them in the same space as a regular tray. I feel like more people would use them, because you could split up player stuff and not take up all the room in a box, but that would be more targeted towards non wargame boardgames.

speaking of 4X games, anyone have first hand experience with Conquest of Paradise? It looks pretty, but I haven't dug into it at all. Worth the time/money?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

StashAugustine posted:

Hey a friend of my dad's is talking about getting his kids into wargaming as they grow up (3 kids 9-6) but the most recent games my dad knows of are like 70s AH stuff like Third Reich, and I kind of dived into modern wargaming at a higher level. What would you guys recommend for younger kids in wargaming? Command and Colors is the one I'd think of (I've only played Memoir 44 and it was okay but simple and I thought it was too much of a bastardization of Napoleonics mechanics)

I'd start off with Axis & Allies.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

How do you keep your FOF chits organized when you're playing?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

CommonShore posted:

How do you keep your FOF chits organized when you're playing?

I'm not sure if you're talking about in-game or storage, but I use a variant of this guy's system for storage -- no box, all baggies.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/70983/sorting-and-storing-your-counters

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Child abuse.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

StashAugustine posted:

Hey a friend of my dad's is talking about getting his kids into wargaming as they grow up (3 kids 9-6) but the most recent games my dad knows of are like 70s AH stuff like Third Reich, and I kind of dived into modern wargaming at a higher level. What would you guys recommend for younger kids in wargaming? Command and Colors is the one I'd think of (I've only played Memoir 44 and it was okay but simple and I thought it was too much of a bastardization of Napoleonics mechanics)

1775 or 1812 might be good depending on if they'll be playing mostly with four or five players. They aren't very complicated and are lots of fun.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

I'm not sure if you're talking about in-game or storage, but I use a variant of this guy's system for storage -- no box, all baggies.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/70983/sorting-and-storing-your-counters

In-game. I'm setting up my copy to start chipping away at it a bit. Right now my inclination is to have German chits and gameplay chits (VOF etc) all handy and organized, and then keep the American stuff mostly in a heap.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

CommonShore posted:

In-game. I'm setting up my copy to start chipping away at it a bit. Right now my inclination is to have German chits and gameplay chits (VOF etc) all handy and organized, and then keep the American stuff mostly in a heap.

I have all my stuff in a Plano box, organized vague by... well, color. Standard VOFs in one spot, special VOFs in the next over, PDFs in the next over... American leader in one spot, squads in the next one over, weapon teams in the next over, LATs in the next over. Germans organized basically the same. I haven't clipped the Koreans/Vietnamese yet, but I may just bag those. I can take a picture of my setup later. There's a little fiddling around, but it's not so bad.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear is pretty straightforward and it plays quickly. The boards and counters have a lot of variety and visual appeal and the rules are well organized for starting out simple then gradually adding complexity.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Sleekly posted:

Did you/have you tried the expansions?

Oh, one other thing to add - I did use the hex tiles from Replicators in that game. The Nebula/Asteroid ones are absolutely amazing - it really helps to remember there is a serious bit of terrain (limited entry, stop movement, combat effects) there, instead of just having the counter cluttering up the hex. I don't like the Black Hole for aesthetics - these hexes are supposed to be huge, my ship are just rolling for brainpower to not get too close to the black hole and now it looks like it fills the hex? The planets are pretty good, I like having the artwork and not needing to worry about colony ship limits in gigantic games or colony / pipeline / planet stacks I used to use to save space. Warp point is also good. Super Nova not really needed but doesn't hurt, it's an always-empty hex with a distinct outline anyway. If you do not own (or want) Replicators, i would recommend making your own hexes for the Asteroids/Nebulae at least..

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Thanks for those answers. SE is one of my most played games, opposed games even!
I'm gonna have to get those.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'd start off with Axis & Allies.

Ogre/GEV are fantastic introductions to the fundamentals of anything with a hex grid and an odds-ratio CRT. Used copies should be cheap, and there's a $50 Deluxe Ogre in-print.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ogre pocket is still like $2 too.

E: nope, OOP now. Still relatively cheap.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Finally put down my thoughts on Pendragon to paper:

http://allownofun.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/more-simulation-than-game-partial.html

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Tekopo's post posted:

rolling a number of d4

:barf:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

welcome to the future of COINs

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have a lot of opinions on dice in wargames that I just can't express without rambling a lot but I'll try to distill it:

I think of wargames as constructing a sentence. You have the subject (your pieces), the verb (attack, move, hold), and the object (your opponent, terrain, supply, however you're interacting using the verb). Sometimes you have adjectives to modify the sentence like reinforcing or ambushing. Dice rolls act as punctuation. Without the punctuation you still have a legible sentence but the punctuation adds emphasis. Maybe it's an exciting ! or a halting ..., or even a ; that appends another sentence.

Bad use of dice obstruct the sentence. It ends it before it begins. I struggled a lot with creating a resolution system for a Crimean War game, bouncing back and forth between dice and completely deterministic, but it dawned on me eventually that everything before you actually roll the dice should be the most exciting bit. Having the action halt because the dice said "no" is not fun design to me.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 5, 2018

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I think of dice as representing the freak acts of god that can descend upon the best laid plans and completely gently caress them up.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

People may moan about having to consult CRTs, but they effectively give you frequent variation over a small spectrum rather than completely botched or wildly successful turns.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I think of dice as representing the freak acts of god that can descend upon the best laid plans and completely gently caress them up.

ASL - Launched some HE from a mortar at some Belgians holed up in a stone building and they rolled a 2 on a morale check, causing a Heat of Battle (My opponent was excited for this) but on the subsequent roll, got boxcars and they surrendered! (My opponent was bummed by this) They couldn't surrender because I didn't have a unit next to them, so instead they broke (My opponent was ok with this).

The dice gods giveth, and the dice gods taketh

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm 5 turns in to mission 1 of my campaign of FoF Normandy and some weird poo poo has happened.

I've only encountered one enemy so far - A PC-C marker became an artillery spotter, and he rained hell on my 2-1 platoon, hitting them with a CP in his initial appearance. The goddamn thing is I spent a few turns completely unable to spot him (and probably making some bad tactical decisions - my CO is green, after all) until he ran out of missions and withdrew. I also got no encounters on the PC-A markers I encountered in the second row - so now I'm gettnig ready to move into OBJ-A and OBJ-B, and I have no contact, but I'm several steps down and no shots fired. I don't think I messed up too many rules...

This game! I'm determined over the summer to play through the whole thing.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

I pretty much agree with you, my two biggest problems with Pendragon are dice in combat - I think dice for raiders is actually a good thing though, I just don't like two layers of dice rolling - and the Civitates are really loving boring compared to the other three factions.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
A friend of mine has convinced me to try of Frostgrave. It its a combination of me having some fun playing Mordhiem computer game (which is honestly an awful game in many ways but also seem to have some fun ides) and him having painted god know hows many hundreds of dollars in Reaper figures over the years.

Any one have good resource of for war-band build or general strategy for that game. Heck even just a half way decent effort post would be appreciated.

edit woops found the Frost grave thread sorry

side_burned fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 8, 2018

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The Line of Battle system is super impressive for how detailed and accurate it is as a depiction of ACW warfare, but man some of the period-appropriate terms are silly. Example rules headers:

"6.5 Cowardly Legs (a.k.a. Jimmy Legs)"

"10.6 Skedaddle"

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

July 14, 1861
Camp Clark, Washington

My very dear Sarah: The indications are very strong that we shall move in a few days — perhaps tomorrow. Lest I should not be able to write again, I feel impelled to write a few lines that may fall under your eye when I shall be no more …

I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in the cause in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter. I know how strongly American Civilization now leans on the triumph of the Government and how great a debt we owe to those who went before us through the blood and sufferings of the Revolution.

But Sara, I have been diagnosed with the Jimmy Legs, and no amount of quinine or mercury can cure this terrible affliction. If I do not see you again, take comfort in the fact that my legs Jimmied for my country, but my heart Jimmied only for you.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Doing a playthrough of Normandy '44 - my first real go at a traditional H&C game after all the OCS I've been doing. It's good, but not amazing, and there are definitely mechanics that you take for granted in OCS that you don't get in more traditional wargames - I think it's still worth a place in my collection; especially as a lighter game to introduce peopel who are newer to wargaming to, but there's just so much more meat on the bone in OCS .

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
I'm currently learning OCS.

Can a stack pick up units as it moves?

Specifically I want to do an overrun attack with a stack and pick up units along the way to increase the strength of the attack.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Huskalator posted:

Specifically I want to do an overrun attack with a stack and pick up units along the way to increase the strength of the attack.

Nope. "Finish moving one unit or stack before moving another". You can drop off along the way, but can't pick up along the way.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Huskalator posted:

No. If you want to Overrun, all the units must start stacked together.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

COOL CORN posted:

The Line of Battle system is super impressive for how detailed and accurate it is as a depiction of ACW warfare, but man some of the period-appropriate terms are silly. Example rules headers:

"6.5 Cowardly Legs (a.k.a. Jimmy Legs)"

"10.6 Skedaddle"

man it''s like netrunner slang, except cool

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I just got OSS's No Trumpets, No Drums which is a re-do of a Wargamer magazine game. The map is mounted which was a nice surprise.

(dog not included)

Another surprise was that there's only one counter sheet, so this is going to be a low-density affair.

I decided to get this after seeing a "ding and dent" version available at 50% off. I can barely see the dent on the box, so it's okay by me.

I'm not expecting anything like Vietnam: 1965-1975, but I'm eager to see how they model the Vietnam conflict. Politics is modeled, but I'm a bit leery. Supposedly this has a decent solitaire rating, so I'm wondering how they pull this all off. I'm getting this to the table in two weeks.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I've heard really good things about NTND, so I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

COOL CORN posted:

Nope. "Finish moving one unit or stack before moving another". You can drop off along the way, but can't pick up along the way.

tomdidiot posted:

No. If you want to Overrun, all the units must start stacked together.

Dang ok, thanks guys.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok another dumb FOF question

I've set up the 2nd Normandy mission. I drew lots of cards with white borders on them, after having basically none for the first. I understand most of the LOS questions, but I'm looking at one card, #32, a hedgerow, and its borders are confusing me:

GGG
WOG
WWG

since white borders only affect line of sight when attempting to see -across- a card, and since line of sight only can go in straight lines in the eight basic directions, when would this ever come into play? As far as I can tell white borders only matter when they're on opposite sides. What am I missing?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Wasn't terrain cover somehow border-dependent? Might have been a hedgerow-specific thing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

CommonShore posted:

Ok another dumb FOF question

I've set up the 2nd Normandy mission. I drew lots of cards with white borders on them, after having basically none for the first. I understand most of the LOS questions, but I'm looking at one card, #32, a hedgerow, and its borders are confusing me:

GGG
WOG
WWG

since white borders only affect line of sight when attempting to see -across- a card, and since line of sight only can go in straight lines in the eight basic directions, when would this ever come into play? As far as I can tell white borders only matter when they're on opposite sides. What am I missing?

So, 1) Fire traced into the card through one of the white borders would use the lesser cover number (usually +1 instead of +2 I think)

2) If your card layout was:

1 2 3
4 C 5
6 7 8

If "C" is the card in question. 3 would be able to see to 6, 5 would be able to see to 4, 2 would be able to see to 7, and everything else would be blocked. You can see INTO the card because it's adjacent, and then THROUGH the card through the white borders. Hope that makes sense.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

COOL CORN posted:

So, 1) Fire traced into the card through one of the white borders would use the lesser cover number (usually +1 instead of +2 I think)

2) If your card layout was:

1 2 3
4 C 5
6 7 8

If "C" is the card in question. 3 would be able to see to 6, 5 would be able to see to 4, 2 would be able to see to 7, and everything else would be blocked. You can see INTO the card because it's adjacent, and then THROUGH the card through the white borders. Hope that makes sense.

It does not make sense, but i do understand. Time to review my map! Thanks!

(this has all kinds of implications for radio contact, becoming monodirectional, doesn't it?)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

CommonShore posted:

It does not make sense, but i do understand. Time to review my map! Thanks!

(this has all kinds of implications for radio contact, becoming monodirectional, doesn't it?)

Oh, i'm absolutely wrong, my apologies:

quote:

You may automatically trace a LOS into all adjacent cards. A LOS is blocked past another card if either border being traced through on that card is dark. Thus, the LOS must pass through light borders on both the entry and exit sides of a card to trace to a card beyond it.

So yeah, the only implication is on what cover bonus you get. LOS would be blocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

COOL CORN posted:

Oh, i'm absolutely wrong, my apologies:

So yeah, the only implication is on what cover bonus you get. LOS would be blocked.

Thanks for the update! That was the paragraph I was reading, and I couldn't figure out what those white borders were good for. I still missed the thing about the cover bonus, so I learned something.

Right now I'm puzzling out how to deal with an LMG which spawned outside of my left border, and which is obstructing my access to a spot where I wanted to place my HMG to do some long-range blastin'. I have a squad which got winged as I came by, and which is now hunkered down under +2 cover or so, but to circle and create a cross fire, I'd have to send the dudes through another PC marker on a low-cover card. Spotting is also a problem.

:thunk:

This game is strange. I find that I enjoy it most when I play a mission over 3-4 days.