Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Meskhenet posted:

doesnt adding a diamond to it bump it up a lvl? (or you dont mean tinkers?)

No, it bumps a lower tier pick up to diamond, it doesn't affect the mining level above that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Obsidian was the way to go. Is that a bump from earlier versions?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Obsidian was the way to go. Is that a bump from earlier versions?

Steel got nerfed. On the other hand you can transfer mining level to any material you want so mining level is the least important stat of a material.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Use an Obsidian Sharpening Kit on your pick. That'll set the mining level high enough.

Vaxine
Apr 3, 2005
Obsidian sharpening kit and a flint on an iron pickaxe early game.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

I'm on All the Mods 3, what kind of power generation do people use to start up? I've been using steam dynamos but it isn't super sustainable.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Prokhor posted:

I'm on All the Mods 3, what kind of power generation do people use to start up? I've been using steam dynamos but it isn't super sustainable.

Lava something I imagine.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I suspect this is just an oversight of the guide, or perhaps my own inexperience with the mods involved, but at some point in Age 2 of Sevtech the steps go from "build a starlight crafting altar" immediately to "okay now throw that starmetal ingot into some water and go to the Twilight Forest".
Where am I supposed to get the starmetal? Normally you focus floating crystal light onto iron ore but this pack lacks both normal iron ore blocks (especially ones you can obtain) and floating crystals in the world (since it has no astral shrines). There's a starlight altar recipe for starmetal, but that needs stardust, which you can only get via starmetal in the first place or by transmuting something I don't have access to in an even later astral sorcery structure, so it all seems very circular and I can't tell where my entry point is supposed to be.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Vib Rib posted:

There's a starlight altar recipe for starmetal, but that needs stardust, which you can only get via starmetal in the first place or by transmuting something I don't have access to in an even later astral sorcery structure, so it all seems very circular and I can't tell where my entry point is supposed to be.

Mine rock crystal samples for 1 stardust apiece. Need to use a pickaxe, not punch it.

edit: it even tells you this in the guide.. lol.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 4, 2018

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ambaire posted:

Mine rock crystal samples for 1 stardust apiece. Need to use a pickaxe, not punch it.

edit: it even tells you this in the guide.. lol.

I'm actually a huge idiot and even have a pile of stardust in my storage already, I just blanked on it.
Thanks for spoonfeeding my dumb rear end.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
SevTech: Ages, presented without context. Seriously, what the gently caress? This modpack has some seriously stupid elements.

steel pick, trying to upgrade with obsidian.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ambaire posted:

SevTech: Ages, presented without context. Seriously, what the gently caress? This modpack has some seriously stupid elements.

It's got a mod that lets it gate different elements of TiCon stuff. Adding modifiers to your tools isn't allowed until Age 3, even though you can make tools in Age 2.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's got a mod that lets it gate different elements of TiCon stuff. Adding modifiers to your tools isn't allowed until Age 3, even though you can make tools in Age 2.

I'm IN Age 3. That's a steel pick, with the excavation modifier. I was trying to add an obsidian sharpening stone.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ambaire posted:

I'm IN Age 3. That's a steel pick, with the excavation modifier. I was trying to add an obsidian sharpening stone.

Oh. Maybe using a sharpening kit is just straight up disallowed? I've never tried it; I just replaced my old bronze pickaxe head with a steel one for my veinminer tool, and I use a Bound Pickaxe (cobalt mining level) for stuff that steel can't handle.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there a 1.12.2 terrain gen mod that does some cool stuff without putting an up-to-date processor straight on its rear end?

Also, are nether fortresses super duper rare now or did I get bad luck?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

You say that like there's a not-dumb April Fool's joke.

The Rick and Morty one last year was pretty great. Just straight releasing the first episode of Season 3 on April Fools because everyone anticipated it being an April Fools prank was, imo, pretty funny.

I also really liked the PokemonGo one this year, they put in 8-bit graphics in the menus and it was a cute throwback to those days.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there a 1.12.2 terrain gen mod that does some cool stuff without putting an up-to-date processor straight on its rear end?

Open Terrain Generator is cool and pretty lightweight.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Ambaire posted:

HEH, using an ~intended game mechanic~ you dirty cheater :smug:

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Still truckin' along with MSB3. Really enjoying it for the most part, with the notable exception of PneumaticCraft being...irritating.

But honestly, it's refreshing to play through mods as they were intended to be played through and without a bunch of crazy recipe rewrites, but with a gating mechanic that pushes you to play through each one. I'm on staged mode, not gated, which I think is preferable.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Open Terrain Generator paired with Chunk Pregenerator.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Traverse is alright and underused.

Nether Fortresses only spawn on certain axis so you probably just looked in the wrong places.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

Lava something I imagine.

So if I wanted to yank lava out of the nether, are there any good chunk loading solutions? I guess that kind of stuff is locked down a lot more now than I'm used to in previous packs.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure All The Mods 3 has FTButils, which means you can click the map icon on the left side of your inventory to bring up the claim chunks map. Left click any chunk to claim it, ctrl-click any claimed chunk to chunkload it. Substitute right click to de-that stuff.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I really want to like SevTech Ages, the progression is really nice and I like the search for things but I really do hate Primal Tech so far and can't wait to get out of this age. There doesn't seem to be any documentation for this mod anywhere that I can find except for the vague tooltips.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

TheDon01 posted:

I really want to like SevTech Ages, the progression is really nice and I like the search for things but I really do hate Primal Tech so far and can't wait to get out of this age. There doesn't seem to be any documentation for this mod anywhere that I can find except for the vague tooltips.

Going by the mod's description, that's intended and it's now a mod I'll stay far, far away from.

Refusing to document how your poo poo works for the sake of ~~muh vision~~ is asinine.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I was enjoying MSB3 until i had to wiki that factory poo poo. Im still a bit sour over it and just creatived in everything i needed to unlock my self out of that.

Just document your poo poo ingame or gtfo.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

TheDon01 posted:

Are the quest descriptions insufficient or something? I'd never even heard of Primal Tech before SevTech, and the quest descriptions were enough to get me through Age 0.

That being said, it is extremely unpolished and a lot of stuff is NYI. The worst part about it is that it spawns this grass in the end that has a 15% chance of "blooming." What does bloomed end grass do, you might ask? It teleports you. I ended up disabling it in the config because just moving around was an exercise in frustration.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Has progressive automation been replaced in 1.12.2 with something else?

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Black Pants posted:

Pretty sure All The Mods 3 has FTButils, which means you can click the map icon on the left side of your inventory to bring up the claim chunks map. Left click any chunk to claim it, ctrl-click any claimed chunk to chunkload it. Substitute right click to de-that stuff.

Ahh, that worked perfectly thank you!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Just got into SevTech age 4 after slamming out a half dozen multiblock machines from immersive engineering and modular machinery. Now it wants me to go to the so that sucks. It did unlock mob grinding uitils stuff so I guess it's time for a mob grinder to get pearls.

It's a nifty pack so far and I like the Stone age to space age vibe without being gregtech (a la New Horizons). I also like the weaving of mods, like using abyssalcraft to gate astral sorcery to gate twilight forest.

There are a few pain in the rear end moments like the steps leading up to steel production (nether bricks require a stoked hibachi fire which requires grinding netherrack and filtering it through soul sand. Also cooking said nether bricks is done one at a time by manually placing an item in a kiln and waiting 15 seconds per brick for 36 bricks)

Still, it's good stuff and between skyblocks and GT:NH I embrace the grind.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Cartographer villagers have been the bane of my life in sevtech. Any way to guarantee that there will be at least one in a village?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

taiyoko posted:

Cartographer villagers have been the bane of my life in sevtech. Any way to guarantee that there will be at least one in a village?

Have you seen any worldgen structures that look like a mud house with a thatched roof? Sometimes those will have a villager in them, and it's always a cartographer villager.

Really, any white robed villager should be a cartographer.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Have you seen any worldgen structures that look like a mud house with a thatched roof? Sometimes those will have a villager in them, and it's always a cartographer villager.

Really, any white robed villager should be a cartographer.
Cartographers are fairly common, there's only like three jobs villagers can have and one is cartographer. That said, the single-standing thatched-roof homes have only ever had hunters for me so I think it's random.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Cartographers are fairly common, there's only like three jobs villagers can have and one is cartographer. That said, the single-standing thatched-roof homes have only ever had hunters for me so I think it's random.

The villages I've found have only ever had butchers, fishers, fletchers, farmers, or shepherds. And the one thatched roof home I ever found didn't have anyone at all.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Meskhenet posted:

I was enjoying MSB3 until i had to wiki that factory poo poo. Im still a bit sour over it and just creatived in everything i needed to unlock my self out of that.

Just document your poo poo ingame or gtfo.

FactoryTech? It's got a whole book in-game, I thought it was pretty decent even.

PneumaticCraft was my 'gently caress this poo poo, creative mode time'. In-game docs but so goddamn fiddly and terrible.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Oh gently caress, yes. Pneumatic craft is awful even when you understand the core concept. I remember having to do really stupid, inconsistent things to get a Refinery up to working temperature without relying on lava source blocks (because they eventually harden into obsidian as a further gently caress you). And the pressure chamber is slow even when you've got it automated.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Yeah, Pneumaticraft is pretty funky. I had to do a lot of it in MSB3 and my SevTech progression is starting to get there, too.

The trick to heat is to use Vortex Tubes. They heat one side and cool the other. However, you have to have somewhere for both the heat and cooling to go, so if you don't deal with the cold end, it caps the throughput of the tube. Heat sinks can be placed to dissipate both heat and cold, despite the name. You can also use blocks of Compressed Iron as a way to transmit both heat and cold (and slap heat sinks on the sides of the block to increase the amount of heat or cold dissipation.)

Heat-needing blocks can also be juiced up a bit by surrounding them with torches. It isn't much, but it helps.

--

SevTech is starting to slow down for me. I got to Age 4, but am running into several as-yet-unfixed bugs. The biggest bug is that there's no way to legitimately acquire Certus Quartz. There's a Geolysis vein for "assorted quartz," but it only ever drops nether quartz. Silk touching it yields nether quartz blocks. Since you need fluix to make an AE2 inscriber to progress, I'm stuck until the bug is fixed (or I cheat in a bunch of certus.) There are also blocks in the End with the pink and black checkered texture that crash Minecraft if you look at them up close (WAILA throws a NPE on what I'm guessing is an unimplemented block.) I might put SevTech away for a bit until the bugs are fixed.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Not terribly fond of it following the increasingly common trend of making a single step in the tech progression into "okay now complete the entire Twilight Forest mod".
Just loving jam that whole mod into a progression gate in the middle of Age 2. Not the first mod to do this.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Falcon2001 posted:

FactoryTech? It's got a whole book in-game, I thought it was pretty decent even.

PneumaticCraft was my 'gently caress this poo poo, creative mode time'. In-game docs but so goddamn fiddly and terrible.

I think im bitching more about the quest book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Is there actually a good reason to do this? Is there actually a reward, or is it just for the advancement getting marked complete?

I know I'm overreacting but this is loving stupid. At least it seems to be optional, but the fact that it exists rubs me the wrong way.