Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
On a long enough timeline, anything could become a vehicle for the Rock. Downton Abbey, for instance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

8one6 posted:

I like Vin, but he's not really a draw the way Dwayne "Oh The Rock is in that, I'll go see it this weekend" Johnson is a draw so being concerned that the F & F series is going to become a vehicle for The Rock seems reasonable.

I'm probably the only person on this planet who doesn't like Dwayne Johnson much. He is a fine enough action actor, and probably a great guy IRL, but somehow he rubs me the wrong way. So I'm totally Team Diesel when they fight it out on the back of a submarine with Tyrese trying to launch the nukes on the Rock's mansion.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Saddest Rhino posted:

probably also since the new xxx movie didn't set the world on fire (despite having a guy whose superpower is setting up instant rave parties)

It didn't even make $45 million domestic, it fuckin' bombed on the home front. Also I'm sure it hasn't escaped Vin's attention that the Fast & Furious franchise was doing pretty good all along but really started pulling in the big bucks over the last 3 movies which were also the movies which featured The Rock.

The Rock isn't a surefire box office draw and recent movies of his like Baywatch, Hercules and Pain & Gain struggled to draw a crowd but they all did better than all of Diesel's recent non-F&F and non-MCU films like xXx: The Return of Xander Cage, The Last Witch Hunter, Riddick and Babylon A.D..

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Remember when everyone thought Vin Diesel was going to be the next big action star in the mid-2000s?

Detective No. 27 posted:

Player death is absolutely part of the game narrative in Dark Souls.

Then why can you complete the entire game without dying? :colbert:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Samuel Clemens posted:

Remember when everyone thought Vin Diesel was going to be the next big action star in the mid-2000s?

Vin Diesel does!

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Technically your character had to have died at least once before ending up in the Undead Asylum, so a true no-death run will be forever out of reach.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

got any sevens posted:

A jumanji for global thermonuclear war

Wouldn't you prefer a good game of Jumanji?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Samuel Clemens posted:

Back when he refused to do sequels.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Back when he refused to do sequels.

Is that what killed his action career?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

8one6 posted:

Is that what killed his action career?

I thought Diesel was also hard to work with, but I could be mistaken since those stories are a dime a dozen within Hollywood.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think so; I know he'd done Chronicles of Riddick as a sequel to Pitch Black but I remember him refusing to come back for XXX 2 upset its producers enough that a scene was filmed but not included in which Xander Cage is messily blown up (the piece of his skin with his XXX tattoo flies out and lands on the ground).

I just remember reading that, when he broke out, it was a big (?) deal that he didn't do sequels.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Actor beefs are just an shiny new update of the manufactured relationship from the star system days.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Jumanji but it's a key party

Jumanji but it's a quiet, intense A24 drama about two couples facing the dissolution of their relationships over a game of the latest iteration of Jumanji, which has turned into a Catan-esque resource management thing, with no overt supernatural elements, that everybody eventually takes too seriously. It's three and a half hours long and takes place in roughly real time.

Decius posted:

I'm probably the only person on this planet who doesn't like Dwayne Johnson much. He is a fine enough action actor, and probably a great guy IRL, but somehow he rubs me the wrong way. So I'm totally Team Diesel when they fight it out on the back of a submarine with Tyrese trying to launch the nukes on the Rock's mansion.

:hfive: I hear about how relentlessly, effortlessly charismatic Dwayne Rock Johnson is a lot more than I see it in action.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't think so; I know he'd done Chronicles of Riddick as a sequel to Pitch Black but I remember him refusing to come back for XXX 2 upset its producers enough that a scene was filmed but not included in which Xander Cage is messily blown up (the piece of his skin with his XXX tattoo flies out and lands on the ground).

Oh, it was included on the xXx DVD release, where they built a 5 minute long short ("The Death of Xander Cage") starring a Vin body double never really faces the camera, entirely to justify that one shot. Seemed like a really petty move on the part of the producers/studio at the time, but now I know that was exactly how to get under Vin's skin, and they knew it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s okay because The Rock fellates genocidal war criminals now

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/981744557523197952

Whoosh.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

TetsuoTW posted:

tyrese just got wild brain problems i thought

Didn't he cost Dr. Dre a bunch of money on the Apple acquisition of Beats?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wheat Loaf posted:

I just remember reading that, when he broke out, it was a big (?) deal that he didn't do sequels.

I remember an interview where he talked about how Justin Lin was the person that convinced him that sequels can be awesome by comparing it to having a D&D campaign with how that worked back in the day where instead of making different characters you'd make a very small number of characters and use them in every game you played so you'd have very different stories but with recognizable faces and that was what got him to eventually cameo in Tokyo Drift and come back to Fast and Furious in general. It struck a chord with him because the general course of the Riddick flicks is based on various RIFTS games he used to play.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

My favorite recent Tyrese thing is when Will and Jada Pinkette-Smith gave him a bunch of money to help with his custody battle, with the sole instruction tied to it being that he stay off of social media.

The only reason anybody knew about it was because Tyrese immediately instagrammed about it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fart City posted:

My favorite recent Tyrese thing is when Will and Jada Pinkette-Smith gave him a bunch of money to help with his custody battle, with the sole instruction tied to it being that he stay off of social media.

The only reason anybody knew about it was because Tyrese immediately instagrammed about it.

gently caress, I wrote a terrible piece of clickbait recently, and that anecdote would have been really useful

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yes, in the order of tens of millions of dollars.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Corrosion posted:

You're vying to be "The Chosen Undead" in Dark Souls 1, it's absolutely implicit. The subtext of what you do by dying and say, hoarding souls, or invading/not invading all shapes the narrative but being a zombie is completely accounted for. They're the lower class.

One of my favorite things about it is that what makes it seem so "hard" is that at the start the lethality is confined to skeletons, rats and zombies in various interesting combinations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Samuel Clemens posted:

Doesn't the first Seath the Scaleless encounter end in a mandatory death?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

That it does. Its the only mandatory death in the Dark Souls series, but in all of them you play someone who has already died at least once. You must mandatorily die in Demon Souls in the tutorial.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
For the next Jumanji film it should be about the game being distributed worldwide and it's like an MMO. Due to the immense popularity of the game, the game starts to glitch out and whoever is trapped in the game has to find their way out before it all falls apart. They could call it...

Jumangapocalypse

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 5, 2018

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

One of my favorite things about it is that what makes it seem so "hard" is that at the start the lethality is confined to skeletons, rats and zombies in various interesting combinations.

What really hosed me up was that I kept re-rolling characters at first and it had a weird progressive insanity to it. Specifically when I started listening to noises and then realized that there is a very unpleasant thing in the Undead Assylum that you can immediately see if you move the camera to your right as you come out of your jail cell. The beginning areas are typically really grimy and wonderful.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Steven Spielberg Is Open to Making Indiana Jones a Woman

Steven Spielberg thinks it's time for moviegoers to meet Indiana "Joan." The director revealed to The Sun earlier this week that he is considering having Harrison Ford's iconic Indiana Jones character be played by a woman.

"We'd have to change the name from Jones to Joan. And there would be nothing wrong with that," he said when asked whether he would make the infamous explorer female.

Spielberg and Harrison Ford are set to reunite to film the fifth installment in the Indiana Jones franchise next April, but the director confirmed that the film will mark Ford's final go at playing the archeology professor. "This will be Harrison Ford's last Indiana Jones movie, I am pretty sure, but it will certainly continue after that."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/steven-spielberg-is-open-making-indiana-jones-a-woman-1100047

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah like a billion dollars, it's hilarious. Everything about it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Make her a modern Indiana Jones and have her race Putin for the pee tape.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

gently caress, I wrote a terrible piece of clickbait recently, and that anecdote would have been really useful

Yes, in the order of tens of millions of dollars.

Just spent five minutes researching this, what am I doing with my life

quote:

But a new report suggests it’s still on track for being announced this week, although Dre’s boastfulness may have cost him two hundred million dollars.

Citing unnamed sources party to the ongoing discussions between Cupertino and Beats, The New York Post says that Apple has lowered its offer for Beats to just $3 billion, citing “due diligence” as a key factor.

lol

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
No need to change the name or anything at all. Just have an awesome adventure story and it’s a woman named Indiana Jones. No need for continuity or any b.s. it’s a movie about the serialized adventures of Indiana Jones or Jane Jones Jr., daughter of Indy or whatever. I just prefer a full on adult than young 20 something.

That being said I think Cate Blanchett could have carried it, she can understand how to act in that type of movie (though it’s dependent on the director understanding serialized comics and dramatic moments vs modern fast cut cut cut action movie), but she was already a villain in 4.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jones is his surname

:psyduck:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Schwarzwald posted:

Not if you use the Duke skip. :cool:

I can't believe he went with Indiana Joan over Dakota Jones.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Jones is his surname

:psyduck:

Yeah, if he’s really committed to a name change it should be Henrietta Jones Jr. (III?)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Spielberg was asked whether Indiana Jones could be a woman, and came back with a weak joke. All we've learned is that he's aware enough to not say 'no'.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They already made a Indiana Jones is a woman movie.
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0765799/

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Where's the Modesty Blaise reboot? :colbert:

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

They already made a Indiana Jones is a woman movie.
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0765799/

They’re called Tomb Raider except they were even more daddy focused than Last Crusade because Hollywood is a constant struggle between nepotism and misogyny.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkRo5l8679g

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I don't care how good the movie is, I'm just happy it happend

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Decius posted:

I strongly dislike him. I will only see his movies if a friend wants to see them or they're FF, which I'm watching for everyone except for him.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I don't care how good the movie is, I'm just happy it happend

Until it's in a theater I won't believe it's real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Indiana was the dog. Women can be named after dogs, too. Plus, if we're changing the name "Diana" makes way more sense :colbert: