Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Watched the first episode of the new Kitaro series, was pretty good, liked that the Yokai of the episode managed to be scary without having to rack up a large body count, also I can always appreciate Finger Guns being used as an actual attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The new LoGH looks pretty, but it seems like it's just remaking it? How long is it supposed to be?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sindai posted:

The new LoGH looks pretty, but it seems like it's just remaking it? How long is it supposed to be?

12 episodes

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there's a three-film "second season" planned for it in 2019

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lol

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lol

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Loo

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

AnacondaHL posted:

Early review: 3D Kanojo appears to be the lesser Galko-chan+romcom show everyone was expecting instead of that Girlfriend is a Gal garbo from last year. But still has the potential to end up middling and mediocre. Props to the show for making the main girl so abrasive it actually got me thinking about unrelated American girls, as if the director took a trip to the South Jersey shore and tried interacting with locals to get ideas for her character.

Er, she wasn't the one being abrasive at all though? pretty sure that's the entire point of the premise

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It seems like a neat show though, I was a little worried that it was gunna be 20 minutes of the guy slut-shaming her because of the '3d girls are terrible' thing but he turns around pretty quick. Could be a really sweet romance show, I'm not familiar with the source though

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Sindai posted:

Yeah I'm not really sure what the point of it is. It looks ok but the original looks nicer (hand drawn spaceships always look better than CGI, and the CGI looked pretty cheap) and had better writing. The first episode was already struggling to fit the story in and was basically just exposition over CGI.

Also if you haven't seen the original I imagine it is impossible to follow, so it doesn't even offer a summarised version of the insanely long original. I'll give it the usual 3 episodes but ehhh

edit: I feel like if I was going to do anything with LoGH I'd reboot it by telling a story about the same "period of history" as the original show, but in a more modern historiological style, focusing on social/economic forces rather than "great men". Sort of like how these days WW2 is viewed through a lens of which country could make the most ships and why rather than Nimitz vs Yamamoto or whatever. Considering the huge scale of the setting I think it could be done really well.

Splode fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 5, 2018

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Knorth posted:

Could be a really sweet romance show, I'm not familiar with the source though

I am and it is. That take up there seems um...pretty bad from what I know of the source.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Nowhere is streaming Captain Tsubasa 2018? How did no one pick up any show from the JoJo guys wtf

e; episode 1 was god drat good though.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Kashuno posted:

Nowhere is streaming Captain Tsubasa 2018? How did no one pick up any show from the JoJo guys wtf

e; episode 1 was god drat good though.

Viz has streaming rights in US and Europe.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://my.mixtape.moe/nzzcov.mp4

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tsubasa is good. I almost want to wait to let some episodes pile up because I wanted to watch more as soon as this one finished

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Was that Megumi Hayashibara as Tsubasa's mom? :dance:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Megalobox is really really good looking, has really great sound design and an awesome soundtrack. I hope they can keep it up for a whole series.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Megalobox is really really good looking, has really great sound design and an awesome soundtrack. I hope they can keep it up for a whole series.

:yeah:

The first episode was loving good and the ED owns:

https://files.catbox.moe/u7B9e5.webm

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Comic Girls' first ep was basically off-brand Hidamari Sketch. And, hell, that'll be enough to get at least a couple of eps outta me.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Already? Hell yeah

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Wark Say posted:

Was that Megumi Hayashibara as Tsubasa's mom? :dance:

I don't think so

e: she's in in the new flcl as secondary cast tho

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

megalo box thread is up https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853600

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Knorth posted:

Er, she wasn't the one being abrasive at all though? pretty sure that's the entire point of the premise

when the first thing she says to him is that he's gross, that's pretty abrasive

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Has anyone besides HiDive picked up Tada-Kun Doesn't Fall In Love? I've enjoyed DogaKobo's past output enough and heard enough nice things about the staff that I kinda wanna give it a look.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Davincie posted:

when the first thing she says to him is that he's gross, that's pretty abrasive

She didn’t though. It’s a mistake the main character makes. She asks him if he doesn’t find his bangs gross (I think because they appear to get in his eyes?). He just takes it the wrong way and thinks it’s about him as a person.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Has anyone besides HiDive picked up Tada-Kun Doesn't Fall In Love? I've enjoyed DogaKobo's past output enough and heard enough nice things about the staff that I kinda wanna give it a look.

Generally If it’s on HIDIVE it won’t show up anywhere else unless the show was big enough to get multiple streaming licenses. HIDIVE is pretty much Sentai Filmworks streaming platform so if Sentai licensed it, it’s only gonna be there.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 5, 2018

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I broke down and subbed to hidive this season, if you're thinking about it probably ought to go on and do it before they cut off the $4/mo pricing which I think they're going to do in like a week.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

you're in luck, it's boring as hell

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/minovskyarticle/status/981994084838584322?s=21

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The new Ge, Ge, GeGeGe no Ge is super good and I think I set my expectations too low, really colorful, unsettling horror, well directed action and great sound effect work. I like the female lead a bunch and laughed a couple times during it. I especially liked that the whole mess was started by a youtube jerkface and Kitaros dad being amazed by smartphone technology.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Parallax posted:

you're in luck, it's boring as hell

Sounds about right for their originals, shame

Motto fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 5, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

can someone please return the 2018 Kitaro to the anime store and get some of this in exchange?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8rly_GCRoA

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sharkopath posted:

The new Ge, Ge, GeGeGe no Ge is super good and I think I set my expectations too low, really colorful, unsettling horror, well directed action and great sound effect work. I like the female lead a bunch and laughed a couple times during it. I especially liked that the whole mess was started by a youtube jerkface and Kitaros dad being amazed by smartphone technology.

Agreed, also something tells me if anyone does an abridged version of this show there will likely be a bunch of either Lorax or Ferngully jokes made regarding the first episode's Yokai

Also it's nice that this franchise is finally getting some western exposure

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

You should really watch the 2008 series if you haven't already.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i got half way through an episode of tada kun before i had to turn it off. its a shame considering how good monthly girls nozaki kun was (which, while the comic timing was good, was probably largely due to the quality of the manga which is super good) but man that was just tiring and not funny at all

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm just gonna crosspost my Official Megalobox Review - 2018

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

MEGALOBOX

loving

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULES

HOLKY

MOILY

GHUACAMOLE

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I hope Tada leans into the romance 'cause the characters seem pretty nice for the most part but it wasn't a very funny first episode

Nyanko Big is very cute and grumpy redhead friend seems good too

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tada-kun seems like it will be "oh no we're not dating" while they hang out every day. The premise is really dumb, but anything works for a romcom doesn't it?

Comic Girls is a bit much crying, but I will give any Kirara anime a chance.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Comic Girls and Megalobox were two real good shows for different reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

MEGALOBOX

loving

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULES

HOLKY