Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This thread loving sucks rear end and I don't think I can revitalize it on my own
This poll is closed.
This thread loving sucks rear end and I don't think I can revitalize it on my own 47 24.48%
This thread loving sucks rear end and I don't think I can revitalize it on my own 27 14.06%
This thread loving sucks rear end and I don't think I can revitalize it on my own 70 36.46%
This thread loving sucks rear end and I don't think I can revitalize it on my own 48 25.00%
Total: 192 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i dont mean to oversell the new lupin but lupin just bought a bunch of cocaine off the silk road, thats a story beat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Whoa big emote

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

lmfao the comments for the crystal meth, i gotta transcribe this

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

i dont mean to oversell the new lupin but lupin just bought a bunch of cocaine off the silk road, thats a story beat

100% chance a future episode involves crypto

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

does lupin have a lot of bitcoin

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

:yeah:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

my dream stream, and now that I have some free time I hope to work on it, is a website that's basically just like a big tv guide that people can come in and request blocks of time on and dump a fat list of anime links to, and then a cytube bot queues them up at the appropriate times. the total one-click democratization of the simulstream, that's my dream...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

homeless snail posted:

oh yeah I forgot there was a new season of that. I streamed the 2008 version for halloween last year and it was very good

'Twas.

The new one is okay, but not nearly as good. It also doesn't have the Mononoke Dance.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

100% chance a future episode involves crypto

this one did, lupin stole a bunch of bitcoin

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

homeless snail posted:

does lupin have a lot of bitcoin

now he does

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sharkopath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJLy1U2kMAc

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

lmao, imagine dragons

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

trying to think of a bitcoin joke with fujiko mine, uh, fujiko bitcoin miner??

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

homeless snail posted:

trying to think of a bitcoin joke with fujiko mine, uh, fujiko bitcoin miner??

Fujiko You, Got Mine

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

dogsicle posted:

lmao, imagine dragons

Just imagine them.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

MEGALOBOX

loving

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULES

HOLKY

MOILY

GHUACAMOLE

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

AnoHito posted:

Fujiko You, Got Mine
hmm

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iXt0cgsjqg

the ed is so good and worth the wait

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sharkopath posted:

Well, what else are you s'posed to do there? :shrug:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This is so amazing

https://youtu.be/ou2pg6J32TA

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
One of my band members shared that on our group chat. A tremendous fake-out of glorious proportions. :allears:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

MEGALOBOX

loving

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULES

HOLKY

MOILY

GHUACAMOLE

it's so good

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

oh i didnt even mention it but the lupin is also good

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Re: gyarus.
I forgot about the new gyaru I Komi.
She seems nice.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

dogsicle posted:

lmao, imagine dragons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3d0dC9ef8M

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Fantastic.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
So after almost 5 years of my best friend constantly nagging me, I finally watched Fullmetal Alchemist on Netflix. I had very few knowledge of the series beforehand aside from certain memes (particularly NinAlexander memes and "It seems it's going to rain"memes, thank you very much internet for making me laugh during those allegedly very sad scenes and make me look like an insensitive rear end) and that it had a live action movie that pissed the entire fandom.

The thing is, I watched Brotherhood first, and I think I did something wrong. The fact that my friend had been hyping this series for 5 years might have a part on it too, cause overall I wasn't very impressed. From what I've read online, the correct way of enjoying FMA (aside from reading the manga, which I might consider eventually) is to watch the first 24 episodes of the 1st anime, and then start with episode 12 of Brotherhood.

The beginning of Brotherhood gives away too many plot twists and goes by too fast for me to draw any emotional investment on the characters to feel bad for them when sad things happen to them.

This gets partially fixed on certain characters as the series goes on, but I personally never felt invested on the dillema of the brothers, to the point of sometimes finding them preachy and annoying (which was not helped by the fact that whenever Edward spoke all I could hear was Bleach's Hitsugaya, another infamous annoying kid character).

Hell, the parts I liked most were ones where the brothers have little to no screentime (like the whole trip to the North, or the past lore of the FMA universe, and the first part of the final battle) which to me represents a big problem not being able to sympathise for the main characters when they eventually get to beat the Big Bad since I feel it was not earned.

And speaking of the ending, this is what annoyed me the most. Aside from being too happy that it risks diabetes, it failed to give closure or show development on a lot of characters (and again, on the brothers who ARE THE PROTAGONISTS). As in, if I were to watch the 1st episode and the last episode only, my reaction would be "Yep, these are the same guys alright", when I think it should be "Oh, these guys have changed, I wonder what happened to them throughout the series".

So tl;dr Brotherhood had a weak beginning, a strong middle, and a very weak ending, A good anime, but not one I can see what all the fuss was about.

Should I bother with 03 FMA, or no?

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 6, 2018

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its definitely a big ask if you just want to sit down and watch a show, but I agree with that. Brotherhood feels like it was paced with the assumption that everyone already knows what FMA is about, so the first part is basically a compilation arc that robs it of its emotional impact. that part of Brotherhood breezes past ed and al's traumas in a story where these characters are supposedly primarily motivated by their traumas. mom died so what

don't watch the rear end end though, and definitely don't watch shambala

fa-GYO
Mar 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/misumi01/status/969326532324859905

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

mom died so what

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If you think Brotherhood's ending is bad watch all of the first series to see just why people appreciated Brotherhood so much. :v:

I guess the true FMA experience is the manga, since it combines the good parts of both series!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

homeless snail posted:

mom died so what

Don't drink alcohol that's been sitting outside in the arctic.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

homeless snail posted:

mom died so what

fa-GYO
Mar 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjRdZkVvTMM

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

chumbler posted:

Don't drink alcohol that's been sitting outside in the arctic.

If anyone wants to set a trap to kill me, that is how to do it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Killing Bites manga spoilers are ftw.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I've never seen '03 FMA, but Brotherhood felt plenty complete on it's own.

I'm a sucker who loves happy, sweet endings, so the conclusion worked real well for me.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

2003 fma justified it's existence because it had a way better movie than brotherhood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Brotherhood had a movie?

• Locked thread