Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I've been enjoying using Vaal's Super Recovery and Peak Performance. Here's a build using the Xeno CB that's been fun to play.

Recovery Up/Speed go well with the set bonus and health augment. The rest of it is to utilize sure of the Xeno strengths (White sharpness, affinity). I melder sniped that Magazine gem, the rest were drops. There are 7 1-size slots to tweak, easy to swap in fire or effluvia resist for eg.

I'm enjoying using the affinity and sharpness mechanics after using Tyrannis II for too long. I was in an all-CB SoS of Vaal an hour ago and it was nice to be the only one not using Tyrranis.

Making this work without the two slots on the Xeno weapon is hard. I tried out a Diablos Tyrranis II Peak Performance build without Super Recovery and it didn't work so well without the constant topping up from Super Recovery which really adds up. The lifesteal is great for getting back large chunks of health but not for ensuring you're always topped up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

v1ld posted:

I've been enjoying using Vaal's Super Recovery and Peak Performance. Here's a build using the Xeno CB that's been fun to play.

Recovery Up/Speed go well with the set bonus and health augment. The rest of it is to utilize sure of the Xeno strengths (White sharpness, affinity). I melder sniped that Magazine gem, the rest were drops. There are 7 1-size slots to tweak, easy to swap in fire or effluvia resist for eg.

I'm enjoying using the affinity and sharpness mechanics after using Tyrannis II for too long. I was in an all-CB SoS of Vaal an hour ago and it was nice to be the only one not using Tyrranis.

Making this work without the two slots on the Xeno weapon is hard. I tried out a Diablos Tyrranis II Peak Performance build without Super Recovery and it didn't work so well without the constant topping up from Super Recovery which really adds up. The lifesteal is great for getting back large chunks of health but not for ensuring you're always topped up.

Recovery speed doesn't actually affect how fast Vaal's set bonus works. But it's still useful, because it fills up the red health faster, so the set bonus can get to work much sooner.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Recovery speed doesn't actually affect how fast Vaal's set bonus works. But it's still useful, because it fills up the red health faster, so the set bonus can get to work much sooner.

Good to know.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’ve been using a vaal/recovery build for lance from a video posted like 1000 pages ago ( I just caught up to the end of this thread today) and have been having good success with it despite not having the best decorations for it yet.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I’ve been using a vaal/recovery build for lance from a video posted like 1000 pages ago ( I just caught up to the end of this thread today) and have been having good success with it despite not having the best decorations for it yet.

It's a good build without a doubt, but after using it a bit I kind of dislike the gameplay. If the monster you're using it for isn't a chump then Peak Performance won't trigger nearly as much as it should, leaving you with very low damage. It's pretty hard to be aggressive with the weapon and keep PP up at all times.

I've used it against Tempered Deviljho mostly, I don't think it's worth it against most of the other stuff in the game because yes you're not using potions or dying but your harder hunts will just be much longer on average. For example, sure the Daora lance is good against Teo, but poke him one time too many and you'll get hit, lose 1/3 of your hp and not regen enough due to his fire aura. At that point one mistake kills you straight away and either you sheathe to drink (which takes forever with lance) or wait for your life to regen, which also takes forever.

But to be honest I'm having trouble beating solo Hammer times with any other weapon for most monsters, so I may be biased here. I feel like having the monster knocked out gives you the highest DPS in the game by far with Big bang and the fight is usually downhill from there. Luckily Hammer isn't the best weapon against a number of monsters (Diablos, Jho, Nergigante, Bazel to name the ones I find the hardest).

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

suuma posted:

Having to go hunt LR Legiana like 10 times is what's kept me from crafting the ice bow all this time.

So I went and hunted Nergigante like 30 times to craft Perdition's Hand and all his armor instead :downs:

Farming LR gear after HR100 loving blows. I really wish you could buy your way past it after a certain point.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Farming LR gear after HR100 loving blows. I really wish you could buy your way past it after a certain point.

I don't get how HR equivalents don't work for crafting. If I can farm an HR monster doesn't that prove I'm capable of getting those parts?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Monster Bone M are the worst. I think I must have melded a bunch of them for some items. Only to realize later that you need them to upgrade lower tier Bone weapons to reach the later trees. And you can only get then from quest rewards for low rank monsters and not even in bone piles.
:negative:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Monster Bone M are the worst. I think I must have melded a bunch of them for some items. Only to realize later that you need them to upgrade lower tier Bone weapons to reach the later trees. And you can only get then from quest rewards for low rank monsters and not even in bone piles.

Could they drop from a Tailraider Safari? Those came in handy for some of the more fiddly LR pieces I needed.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Good to know...I just unlocked high-rank armor and expeditions and figured I would just blow away all of my old crappy components into better stuff via melding.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Do any of the armor skills boost the re-charge of the heavy bowgun wyvernheart (machine gun) special Does it count as a charge up bar like charge blade and switch axe?

I’d like to blast dinosaurs with a hail of bullets at all possible times.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Focus.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Beating up Kajalaka makes me feel like a big bully...

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Captain Beans posted:

Do any of the armor skills boost the re-charge of the heavy bowgun wyvernheart (machine gun) special Does it count as a charge up bar like charge blade and switch axe?

I’d like to blast dinosaurs with a hail of bullets at all possible times.

Focus increases the recharge rate, and Special Ammo Boost boosts the damage. Go nuts, Rambo!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
All 3 of my weapon stones so far have been SnS/DB, so now I am in possession of the world's most ridiculous Grand Barong II.

Also, I started last night going, "welp might be about time to wind on down on MH," then somehow picked up a 4-reward, 3-cart, 50-minute tempered Teo and ... that seems like a pretty good one to share.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Huxley posted:

All 3 of my weapon stones so far have been SnS/DB, so now I am in possession of the world's most ridiculous Grand Barong II.

Also, I started last night going, "welp might be about time to wind on down on MH," then somehow picked up a 4-reward, 3-cart, 50-minute tempered Teo and ... that seems like a pretty good one to share.

If you're still having fun playing, might stick around for a bit longer cause the spring event starts soon!

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
is the azure rathalos in arena the incredible loving hulk, because after 3 full big bangs on the ground he's still very active and not phased at all

also fighting a rathalos when you've finished your flash pods is a literal living hell

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Kawabata posted:

is the azure rathalos in arena the incredible loving hulk, because after 3 full big bangs on the ground he's still very active and not phased at all

also fighting a rathalos when you've finished your flash pods is a literal living hell

I think arena doesn't scale down health if you're playing solo

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The Arena scales monsters to Multiplayer, so stunning him is going to be just as hard as in SOS.

puking pentagrams
May 6, 2017

Dr Cheeto posted:

that makes sense. I got to the Barroth and ended up abandoning the quest in order to go pick up wings with my wife. drat thing wouldn’t die!

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Dr Cheeto posted:

why

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Spring event is live!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flytrap posted:

The Arena scales monsters to Multiplayer, so stunning him is going to be just as hard as in SOS.

I have done them all solo and getting bronze ratings. I thought it was just the crap gear holding me back

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Any idea how we get the tickets for the recolored Bnahabra armor? I assume it's completing quests during the event.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fauxtool posted:

I have done them all solo and getting bronze ratings. I thought it was just the crap gear holding me back

Nope, the thing holding you back was not being two people.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

capcom

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Squidtentacle posted:

Any idea how we get the tickets for the recolored Bnahabra armor? I assume it's completing quests during the event.

You get tickets for completing the festival daillies.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Kawabata posted:

It's a good build without a doubt, but after using it a bit I kind of dislike the gameplay. If the monster you're using it for isn't a chump then Peak Performance won't trigger nearly as much as it should, leaving you with very low damage. It's pretty hard to be aggressive with the weapon and keep PP up at all times.

I've used it against Tempered Deviljho mostly, I don't think it's worth it against most of the other stuff in the game because yes you're not using potions or dying but your harder hunts will just be much longer on average. For example, sure the Daora lance is good against Teo, but poke him one time too many and you'll get hit, lose 1/3 of your hp and not regen enough due to his fire aura. At that point one mistake kills you straight away and either you sheathe to drink (which takes forever with lance) or wait for your life to regen, which also takes forever.

But to be honest I'm having trouble beating solo Hammer times with any other weapon for most monsters, so I may be biased here. I feel like having the monster knocked out gives you the highest DPS in the game by far with Big bang and the fight is usually downhill from there. Luckily Hammer isn't the best weapon against a number of monsters (Diablos, Jho, Nergigante, Bazel to name the ones I find the hardest).

I can agree with a lot of this, especially about Peak Performance. I've used build against tempered teostra, and that ability constantly goes off and on due to the flames.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Guess everyone’s going to be learning GS this weekend.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Guess everyone’s going to be learning GS this weekend.

I learned it when I saw the sword pictures :smuggo:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Baron posted:

I learned it when I saw the sword pictures :smuggo:

I did the same, then they buffed some moves and also I totally forgot how sword works again.

I think it was release the first two swings ASAP to get to the big flippy swing. Shoulder charge when it's useful but don't bother shoulder charging to the big swing because it might be quicker but it's an overall DPS loss.

Unless you're attacking into a sleep, when you really only want to land that last hit.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 6, 2018

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

How do you unlock the new sword?

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

How do you unlock the new sword?

There's an event quest Every Hunters Dream.

I think you need 5 of the items total.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Baron posted:

Awesome ty. Been having a lot of fun learning the great sword. Nothing quite like landing a fully charged true slash right on the monsters face

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Baron posted:

+12 if you want the armor too.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Flytrap posted:

+12 if you want the armor too.

Armor? If you mean the spring armor, it's a different ticket and you need 15.

Also 3 more for the Palico armor! GIVE ME TICKETS!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Huxley posted:

I did the same, then they buffed some moves and also I totally forgot how sword works again.

I think it was release the first two swings ASAP to get to the big flippy swing. Shoulder charge when it's useful but don't bother shoulder charging to the big swing because it might be quicker but it's an overall DPS loss.

Unless you're attacking into a sleep, when you really only want to land that last hit.

Wouldn't that last hit be sub optimal? Because there's the first part before the flip is only like 100 damage, it's the after flip that does the 400. Or are you shoulder charging twice and also missing the first bit before the flip to get the biggest number to double when it hits the sleeping monster? That's so precise I can't even believe that's what you mean.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Where's the daily bounties for more tickets? I talked to the resource center trio but they just have last week's completed limited bounties.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Krinkle posted:

Wouldn't that last hit be sub optimal? Because there's the first part before the flip is only like 100 damage, it's the after flip that does the 400. Or are you shoulder charging twice and also missing the first bit before the flip to get the biggest number to double when it hits the sleeping monster? That's so precise I can't even believe that's what you mean.

No that's how you do it. It's not really too hard to space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Where's the daily bounties for more tickets? I talked to the resource center trio but they just have last week's completed limited bounties.

I think it's gonna reset tomorrow when the weekly limited expires.