Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

So I had another loop and I think the sport loops look way better in general on the black. I just don’t like the bands that have a silver buckle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Received my open-box Apple Watch today. Surprisingly, beyond the box that had markings on it. Everything inside was brand new and the charger cable was still wrapped in its cardboard sleeve. Almost as if the last person who had it just opened it and then returned it. I'm able to even buy AppleCare on it! Not bad for 280 bucks for a Series 3.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Not sure how i'd feel about buying an open box apple watch id be concerned it might fall out.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

You’d be surprised how often that poo poo is a gift or w/e and someone simply doesn’t like the color. Half those “open box” items probably weren’t even turned on

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

Not sure how i'd feel about buying an open box apple watch id be concerned it might fall out.

Sure, I was very apprehensive before buying it. The seller at least has a long established selling history and has a 30 day return policy. I even checked the serial number between the physical Watch, the OS and the box. All matched up.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

You’d be surprised how often that poo poo is a gift or w/e and someone simply doesn’t like the color. Half those “open box” items probably weren’t even turned on

This is where I'm leaning. Inside was totally pristine. The loaded Watch OS was 4.0 and we're on what, 4.3 now?

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 31, 2018

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

My friend works at a Apple retailer (not Apple itself) and yeah 9 times out of 10 it’s just “oh i didn’t like the color/style” or the giftee didn’t. As you’d expect any open box item is largely gone before they get to the shelves. Inner employee network and all that.

I guess my point is when it comes to openbox poo poo Apple is often a safer bet compared to others

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Sure, I was very apprehensive before buying it. The seller at least has a long established selling history and has a 30 day return policy. I even checked the serial number between the physical Watch, the OS and the box. All matched up.

This is where I'm leaning. Inside was totally pristine. The loaded Watch OS was 4.0 and we're on what, 4.3 now?

Oh a joke gone horribly wrong!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Oh a joke gone horribly wrong!

I guess I'm missing it?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I guess I'm missing it?

An open box. Falling out.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Pissflaps posted:

lol

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

An open box. Falling out.

I'm not a smart man.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dugong posted:

I wish I didn’t go for a black watch. The majority of bands look so much better on the silver version.

Actually, the midnight fog loop looks pretty cool. Thanks Apple!

The only thing I have against Space Black is, Apple doesn't make a single leather band with black lugs for whatever reason.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

enojy posted:

The only thing I have against Space Black is, Apple doesn't make a single leather band with black lugs for whatever reason.

They make the space black link band though, which is the best band for the best edition of the watch.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i picked one of these up the other day and have a bunch of amazon credit laying around. hit me with your favorite bands and stands. the only bands i have are gray sport band and dark olive sport loop.

HiredGun
Sep 3, 2004

Obesity loves company
Just a follow up from my last post about the latest update on a S0:
- Workout app still working flawlessly. No freeze on startup at all
- Messaging app seems snappier overall

Very happy with this latest update!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

baram. posted:

i picked one of these up the other day and have a bunch of amazon credit laying around. hit me with your favorite bands and stands. the only bands i have are gray sport band and dark olive sport loop.

Any one of the many milanese loop knockoffs - it’s a lovely way to wear the watch.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My favorite band is actually a $13 poo poo one that had a crazy colored pattern on it. It’s really hit or miss with people but it stands out and looks unique.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

baram. posted:

Thwomp posted:

I went through the last 10-15 pages of the last thread to pull up these recommendations. I'd quote posts but the old thread is closed now and I can't quote them anymore.

Milanese Knockoff Loops
http://a.co/dTsMrHP - Haggins, Atheist Sunglasses, and Matt Zerella recommended
http://a.co/hijmuW3 - Haggins purchased

Nylon Weave Knockoff
http://a.co/7cskHts - Matt Zerella recommended

Alternative Leather Bands
Monowear Deployant - Haggins recommended
Shell Cordovan Leather Strap (via Etsy) - io_burn recommended

Edit: Also Wirecutter has Apple Watch band recommendations for Leather and Stainless Steel bands and Milanese Loops.

Edit 2: removed broken links.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 3, 2018

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Dave posted:

My favorite band is actually a $13 poo poo one that had a crazy colored pattern on it. It’s really hit or miss with people but it stands out and looks unique.

What does it look like?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

HiredGun posted:

Just a follow up from my last post about the latest update on a S0:
- Workout app still working flawlessly. No freeze on startup at all
- Messaging app seems snappier overall

Very happy with this latest update!

my wife still very rarely uses her s0 because battery life is such garbage. has that improved at all?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I get all-day battery life on my S2. Which is to say, if I forget to charge it overnight, I might need to charge in the morning.

HiredGun
Sep 3, 2004

Obesity loves company

Nerdrock posted:

my wife still very rarely uses her s0 because battery life is such garbage. has that improved at all?

I charge it up in the morning before work to 100%. Get a few notifications during the day and then use it for a 60 minute gym workout and end the day with approx 30%. Charge it again to 100% when I get home and then sleep with it for sleep tracking via AutoSleep. Repeat.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

I get all-day battery life on my S2. Which is to say, if I forget to charge it overnight, I might need to charge in the morning.

My S2 will go about 2 days, if I'm staying somewhere that I don't have my charger with me I can usually get a second day's use out of it until I get home that night.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

HiredGun posted:

I charge it up in the morning before work to 100%. Get a few notifications during the day and then use it for a 60 minute gym workout and end the day with approx 30%. Charge it again to 100% when I get home and then sleep with it for sleep tracking via AutoSleep. Repeat.

fair. I don't know what she does to it or if it's just worn down worse, but she'll put it on at the beginning of the day and at the end of the work day it's dead. Whereas my S3 is usually at about 75% at bedtime.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 3, 2018

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
My S3 has gone almost 4 days, I am really impressed.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

What does it look like?

Of course I can't find it now. It's kind of in this family but I would say a little more tame: https://www.amazon.com/Floraler-Sil...tch%2Bband&th=1

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Nerdrock posted:

fair. I don't know what she does to it or if it's just worn down worse, but she'll put it on at the beginning of the day and at the end of the work day it's dead. Whereas my S3 is usually at about 75% at bedtime.

Does she scribble a lot? Whenever I extensively use my S0 watch to answer to texts it doesn’t last the day.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Djarum posted:

Yeah with casual use and turning it off at night I don’t even need to bring my charger when I go out of town, which is nice.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Djarum posted:

:same:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I can usually squeeze out three days on my S3 without charging it or turning it off at night (something I've never actually thought to do, I like the Night Stand feature).

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Zwille posted:

Does she scribble a lot? Whenever I extensively use my S0 watch to answer to texts it doesn’t last the day.

nope. she uses it pretty much exclusively for notifications.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Does iSmoothRun not do VO2max calculations? It looks like it's in the settings but it just says "not measured," and if I tap on it, it just asks me for a value.

If I go into Apple Health, it looks like the only entries are from "Apple Watch" or another app I use for something unrelated. It definitely doesn't have an AW entry for every run I do, however.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

jackhunter64 posted:

It is. Thank you Tim.

Update: it isn't. C'mon Tim.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Nerdrock posted:

nope. she uses it pretty much exclusively for notifications.

Weird. Did ya try unpairing and pairing again yet? Usually does the trick for me.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Zwille posted:

Weird. Did ya try unpairing and pairing again yet? Usually does the trick for me.

oh yeah. a few times over the last couple years. She's rarely worn it in the past 6 months to a year because it's been so bad. One of these days i'll get motivated and just grab the watch and pair it to my phone and use it for a day or two and see how it goes. Probably a waste of time anyways, as she likely wants an S3 anyways. She'll try and con me into buying her one as a 'push present' in the next few months probably.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Speaking of benches, this Husky is on sale today at Home Depot:
https://slickdeals.net/f/11446475-husky-extra-deep-46-in-9-drawer-mobile-workbench-248-home-depot-starts-4-5

I have this one already and love it. Super tempted to buy a second.

e: Wow, way wrong thread, but I'll leave it since it's a good deal.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Speaking of benches, this Husky is on sale today at Home Depot:
https://slickdeals.net/f/11446475-husky-extra-deep-46-in-9-drawer-mobile-workbench-248-home-depot-starts-4-5

I have this one already and love it. Super tempted to buy a second.

e: Wow, way wrong thread, but I'll leave it since it's a good deal.

Totally wrong thread but a great drat deal.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gonna store my 300 AW bands in that thing

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’ve had to stop wearing my watch while working with electricity.

Notifications sure feel like getting electrocuted minus the pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I thought the exact same thing. Especially the right-turn when you're using Maps. zzztzzztzzztzzztzzztzzzt