Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

But those robot models have a bad history when it comes to being upscaled to 12v12. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Update on the HG vs pgi suit:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u_j_BhX5NWUcwNdj8Ud-Oy3NYN0-srkg/view?usp=drivesdk

Tldr: gently caress off HG

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

No way in hell HG is winning this and they know it.

E: Can't believe I'm rooting for :pgi: on something.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Apr 5, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Back Hack posted:

Right?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
A win for PGI in this case is a win for all of Battletech.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go
Somebody make "the allegedly infringed warrior robots at issue in this case" into a pilot line in the game, please.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Back Hack posted:

Its evil vs bad. If pgi win hard enough this may be a win for the macross franchise as well.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Mmmmmmmm, I can just smell that sweet, sweet V tech.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

this is outstanding. is it de rigueur for a legal response to sound so loving fed up with the opposing side's bullshit?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cowcaster posted:

this is outstanding. is it de rigueur for a legal response to sound so loving fed up with the opposing side's bullshit?

OK, usually I don't bother with reading legal documents but this got me to click through.

Holy poo poo, pro-tier read. That is some grade-A passive aggressive lawyer bitch slapping.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cyrano4747 posted:

OK, usually I don't bother with reading legal documents but this got me to click through.

Holy poo poo, pro-tier read. That is some grade-A passive aggressive lawyer bitch slapping.
Yeah I went through the first paragraph and that is a suplex via text if I have ever seen one.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, that's amazing. Get rekt copyright trolls.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

quote:

Harmony Gold filed its motion one day after Piranha served on Harmony Gold a draft motion for sanctions under Fed. R.
Civ. P. 11
relating to the false claims of copyright ownership appearing

I had to look this one up and now that Im not on mobile I finally can. This is a motion for sanctions against the opposing lawyer or firm. PGI going for the loving throat on this one. :stare:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Hahahaha, I didn't know HG had lost an arbitration with Big West over the rights to the characters from Macross they claim they own. The very characters they're sueing PG and HBS for using hahaha, oh man.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Wait, are PGIs lawyers claiming opposing counsel are behaving unethically to enforce a legal right they know doesn't exist?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

hooman posted:

Hahahaha, I didn't know HG had lost an arbitration with Big West over the rights to the characters from Macross they claim they own. The very characters they're sueing PG and HBS for using hahaha, oh man.

Yeah, we found this one out (sort of) near the end of last year. I think it was mentioned in one of the prior Summary Judgement requests. The fact that now they're just stalling so blatantly is great.

"Your honor, there are CRITICAL DOCUMENTS that prove our case beyond a shadow of a doubt, and I have seen these documents personally. However, I cannot describe these documents in any way, or what they would contain, also I don't remember who has them beyond some guy in Japan. Oh, and my licensor would have a copy and would be legally obligated to provide them to me, but they won't, for reasons. Also I knew about this like a year ago but I didn't think we'd be making some kind of federal case out of this so I didn't bother to ask anybody for the thing ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL to my case. I'm sure you can see how I wouldn't have been able to predict these circumstances. In conclusion, please let me stall for a year or two while still denying the guy we're bringing claims against the right to use properties we have no claim on."

I'd like to picture the HG lawyers wearing a tinfoil hat while writing out all their requests. That's some conspiracy theory poo poo.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Great Beer posted:

I had to look this one up and now that Im not on mobile I finally can. This is a motion for sanctions against the opposing lawyer or firm. PGI going for the loving throat on this one. :stare:

If PGI manages to make Very Bad Things happen to Harmony Gold, I will celebrate.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Radio Free Kobold posted:

If PGI manages to make Very Bad Things happen to Harmony Gold, I will celebrate.

If that were to happen, I'd feel compelled to forgive PGI all of their past misdeeds.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

If it happened I would throw money at MWO say thanks.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
I'd buy any 'just to gently caress with Harmony Gold' pack that they sold in MWO.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Q_res posted:

Wait, are PGIs lawyers claiming opposing counsel are behaving unethically to enforce a legal right they know doesn't exist?

elaborating on this, am i understanding this correctly, that not only did harmony gold make the mistake of picking a target with the resources available to meet them in court, which is the exact opposite of what a copyright troll is supposed to do, the ensuing legal battle revealed that they never possessed ownership of the property they were claiming to have in the first place?

and then, after this happened, they attempted to copyright troll another target, with the resources available to meet them in court, with the property that was already legally proven to not be theirs?

how did these people gently caress up this bad

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cowcaster posted:

elaborating on this, am i understanding this correctly, that not only did harmony gold make the mistake of picking a target with the resources available to meet them in court, which is the exact opposite of what a copyright troll is supposed to do, the ensuing legal battle revealed that they never possessed ownership of the property they were claiming to have in the first place?

and then, after this happened, they attempted to copyright troll another target, with the resources available to meet them in court, with the property that was already legally proven to not be theirs, an entire year ago?

It's actually slightly more retarded than that. Their initial copyright troll target (Big West) was the ORIGINAL HOLDER of the Copyright, that then licensed to Tatsunoko, who licensed Macross specifically to Harmony Gold.

So they didn't just try and troll someone with the resources to fight them. They tried to troll the one group that could know with absolute certainty that HG didn't have any sway over them. The Piranha suit came up while the Big West one was in progress, then they got smoked in multiple courts by Big West, and now they're just kind of scrambling as they realize that just how badly they got wrecked in those suits actually kicks the legs out from under any possible legal argument.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Does this mean that Big West can come knocking if the Warham and Marauder are used by PGI and HBS, though? I know nothing about legal poo poo.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Does this mean that Big West can come knocking if the Warham and Marauder are used by PGI and HBS, though? I know nothing about legal poo poo.

Yes, as the PGI defense basically relies on the fact that HG doesn't actually own the copyrights. That said, I think FASA had gotten their initial rights for the Unseen from Big West back in the day, didn't they? At the very least, it would be hard for them to be more unreasonable cunts than HG about it.

Also Big West would have to go through the whole process of proving that the PGI re-seen variants are too close to the old anime mecha and it causes infringement, etc. It's far more likely they'd just reach some kind of agreement like any reasonable business people would.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
I'm pretty sure HG didn't start the case with the Japanese rights holders, but HG apparently borked their relationship badly enough that the holders came after HG for back royalties (and lost).

double riveting posted:

Somebody make "the allegedly infringed warrior robots at issue in this case" into a pilot line in the game, please.
I'll rather have everyone on Team Battletech/Mechwarrior using some sweet robots in their products free from harassment by these pests. Waggling every Mech pack, game expansion, and tabletop book possible with these designs in HG's face would be the best possible victory lap.
I wouldn't put :pgi: past loving up their finances to fund a proper legal defense though.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Harmony Golds license runs out in 3 years so they are probably going to continue milking any lawsuits that they can.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

...and then, after this happened, they attempted to copyright troll another target, with the resources available to meet them in court, with the property that was already legally proven to not be theirs?

It’s actually worst then that, they can be easily counter sued for damages done to them by HG under false pretenses, and since they literally drove a couple companies relatively recently (within in this decade) out of business, that’s a lot of damages. On top of all the federal fees they’re going to be hit with when they lose for violating copyrights laws.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

A while back HG actually changed Lawyers for this case. At the time fan speculation was they were getting more serious since the opposition wasn't just caving.

Now people are speculating that the original HG lawyers saw the writing on the wall and advised throwing in the towel, which got them replaced. :v:

Ofc this is all speculation. Don't get too hyped guys, things look favorable, but it's not over till it's over, and this could still take a while. Especially if HG tries to appeal.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

As a non-lawyer, I'm not sure how much of an appeal you get if your whole case literally gets thrown out of court for being completely baseless. Because at that point you didn't lose your case, you just straight up got told you didn't have one and to shut up.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

SirFozzie posted:

Some interesting things from another one of the devs over on RPG.net's Btech forum.
It's a problem I ultimately need to solve, because the setting calls for multiple-lance battles. I have ideas for ways to do it that are fun. But I can't really start exploring them until after we launch.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Zaodai posted:

As a non-lawyer, I'm not sure how much of an appeal you get if your whole case literally gets thrown out of court for being completely baseless. Because at that point you didn't lose your case, you just straight up got told you didn't have one and to shut up.

In the case of a dismissal for lack of merit, you would appeal the dismissal. If you win the appeal and a higher court finds that the dismissal was premature I would guess the most likely outcome would be sending the case back to the lower court with instruction to the lower court judge to allow further fact finding, etc.

Then of course there's the question of whether it was dismissed with or without prejudice, but that's getting more technical than we need to in the giant robot punchy shooty thread.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Zaodai posted:

Same non-lawyer status, but lawyers tell me how to do my job all the time so I'll return the favor.

HG could appeal - that's always an option. But whether or not the court of appeals accepts it is another issue entirely, soooo :shrug:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Then of course there's the question of whether it was dismissed with or without prejudice, but that's getting more technical than we need to in the giant robot punchy shooty thread.
Considering there are a bunch of people who read thick rulebooks for this poo poo, I imagine people would read what you post about a court case that is relevant to the thread, if you posted it.

I know I would.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Considering there are a bunch of people who read thick rulebooks for this poo poo, I imagine people would read what you post about a court case that is relevant to the thread, if you posted it.

Yeah but those are thick rulebooks about giant war machines and how Clanners use the bathroom differently than IS nobles or whatever the gently caress is buried in the thirty years of lore built up around this nonsense. Way more interesting than court appeals, I assure you. Also I haven't actually read all of the paperwork re: this case so I don't even know where it's at. Letter rogatory by HG feels like a hail mary/stall tactic, though.

But long story short on prejudice, dismissed w/out prejudice means you can file on the same claim again, like say on some future date if you find your mysterious documents from Japan that totally prove your claims OR you find entirely different rationale to support your argument, then you refile and start up court proceedings again.

Dismissed w/ prejudice means gently caress off, we're done, stop it. The "with prejudice" could be done by a judge who finds the whole thing baseless or could result from an agreement between the parties saying that they've settled and won't be coming back to court (less common, I think. Settlements often leave the door open for future legal action if one of the parties grows unhappy with the terms).

Either way a dismissal can be appealed, but

Psion posted:

HG could appeal - that's always an option. But whether or not the court of appeals accepts it is another issue entirely, soooo :shrug:

there's no guarantee a higher court would overturn a dismissal, and even if they did for some reason it just resets the process, so you'd be spending a ton on lawyer fees to basically spin your wheels for a few more years. And the lower court could still find that the dismissal was justified for a different reason after they exhaust whatever the higher court demanded of them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Zaodai posted:

Yeah, we found this one out (sort of) near the end of last year. I think it was mentioned in one of the prior Summary Judgement requests. The fact that now they're just stalling so blatantly is great.

"Your honor, there are CRITICAL DOCUMENTS that prove our case beyond a shadow of a doubt, and I have seen these documents personally. However, I cannot describe these documents in any way, or what they would contain, also I don't remember who has them beyond some guy in Japan. Oh, and my licensor would have a copy and would be legally obligated to provide them to me, but they won't, for reasons. Also I knew about this like a year ago but I didn't think we'd be making some kind of federal case out of this so I didn't bother to ask anybody for the thing ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL to my case. I'm sure you can see how I wouldn't have been able to predict these circumstances. In conclusion, please let me stall for a year or two while still denying the guy we're bringing claims against the right to use properties we have no claim on."

I'd like to picture the HG lawyers wearing a tinfoil hat while writing out all their requests. That's some conspiracy theory poo poo.

I'll guarantee they're dragging it out because of the Battletech launch and HBS buying models from PGI. They probably wanted HBS/PGI to just pay them to go away because of the impending launch and not wanting to gently caress that up. (well, "impending" in the "game launched in the next 2 years" sense - I'm talking about when HBS all of a sudden stopped showing marauders in streams).

As a bonus if they got HBS or PGI to pay royalties it would do a lot to strengthen their claims if they went after someone else at a later date.

edit: drag the suit out until there is a business reason to just settle and make things go away is patent/IP troll 101.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 5, 2018

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

In the world of litigation, this is called being donkey kong’d.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_City_Studios,_Inc._v._Nintendo_Co.,_Ltd.

TL;DR universal studios sues nintendo for infringing on a trademark universal didn’t own.
Laffs were had.

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 5, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
My gosh if the original Warhammer and Marauder and Archer come back to Battletech I'll have to start playing it again. Good memories and they were absolutely some of the coolest lookin' mechs, no question.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The original Macross designs will never be used again even if things are favorably decided. But they won't have to worry (as much) about using their new redesigns.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

My gosh if the original Warhammer and Marauder and Archer come back to Battletech I'll have to start playing it again. Good memories and they were absolutely some of the coolest lookin' mechs, no question.

I mean, it would still be copyright infringement even if Harmony Gold loses the suit because they're just ripped right out of Macross. Those designs are never coming back and really shouldn't, since, you know, they were literally just ripped out of an anime and slapped in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I've been thinking a bit about the way the salvage and repair system works in-game, and what isildur (I believe it was isildur anyway?) previously said about wanting to make the post-release Ironman option perma-destroy your own mechs when they have their centre torso destroyed rather than letting you repair them up without much difficulty. It remains to be seen in actual experience, but having watched the Cohh stream with his repeatedly destroyed and rebuilt Blackjack at little more cost to him than repair time and some cash, I did wonder if it would be worth having customisable difficulty options for this kind of thing. Kind of like all the secondary difficulty options in Crusader Kings 2 where you can decide how deadly epidemics will be, or XCOM's custom difficulty settings. The way I was envisaging it is that maybe having one of your mechs cored isn't a total destruction of it, but gives you a guaranteed salvage part just like a cored enemy mech (one that doesn't count towards the contract salvage). That would make it more punishing to lose a mech but you could still rebuild it (at much greater cost) further down the line. Maybe even make it give 2 of 3 salvage parts so you have a head start on cobbling together your own wrecked mechs rather than the enemy's. Perhaps all four levels - just needs repairs, 2/3 parts, 1/3 parts, full destruction - could go each be part of the custom difficulty. Idk, maybe all of this has been considered already. But personally I'd enjoy experimenting with these sorts of things at some point down the line, just like I did with stuff like Training Roulette in XCOM.