Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
We are starting Pcars 2 goon racing in 7 minutes. Come to the discord. We are gonna do random poo poo today because I was too busy (lazy) to put a spec together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

So....Fanatec introduces this cool, new McLaren GT3 rim with dual clutch paddles.....and then gets them totally wrong....how the hell does such a fuckup happen?

https://www.fanatec.com/download/CSL-E-RMcL-QG-EN.pdf

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The bite point setting seems like it would be fine?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Norns posted:

The bite point setting seems like it would be fine?

Not really. What this solutions does, is you have to hold the right paddle exactly at the bite point. You don't pull it fully. The right paddle stays at 0% - 100% clutch travel. You can't reduce it to 0% - <bite point>%.

They went to all the trouble to do a double clutch rim, and got the actual function wrong.

Theres a youtube vid that shows it in action....what a missed opportunity, I hope they have a chance of fixing it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm assuming that in a normal race car you normally set the bite point with a button that finds it. Then to start, you hold both paddles in and release one to start. Maybe they can't implement that.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

I'm assuming that in a normal race car you normally set the bite point with a button that finds it. Then to start, you hold both paddles in and release one to start. Maybe they can't implement that.

Yes, that's how it normally works. The problem with the bite point is that it moves all over the place in regard to clutch temperature, drive train temperature and pre-flex of the drive train (though IIRC formula cars don't pre-flex the train at launch). F1 cars had a bite point finder mode, you could often see it during broadcasts, mostly with BT PT FND or CLUTCH TRN or something like that on the wheel. It brings the revs up to launch revs, and then checks where the bite points is, and presets the travel of one of the levers. This lever - from now on - only travels from bite point to fully engaged clutch, while the other always travels fully. The first one overrides the last one, so as long as you hold the first one, you will never go over the bite point when releasing the the last one.

It makes starts stupid easy. Lights out, you simply let the left lever loose, wait couple of secs till the slight drop in revs is gone and you feel the grip of the rear wheels, and then slowly release the right one. With the huge travel of the right one, you also have super precise input for those last couple of percents. That's why it was banned so quickly, it makes starting a no-brainer.

I modded one of my wheels with it, and it is super fun to use it, but as I said, it takes away the skill used to launch a car.

I hope they can fix it, but I somehow doubt it....the wheelbase doesn't know about the two paddles, it only gets the final clutch axis input

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

quote:

There will be actually 2 different ways how to operate the clutch. The more advanced way to adjust the max value of the fully pulled paddle is not yet implemented but will be upgraded later with a firmware update.

Okay, that's cool

e: I take everything back! Fanatec explained in their forums that the manual only describes the mode the rim ships with. They will introduce an updated firmware, which not only will let you set the min clutch range for one of paddles, but will also let you choose which paddle is for what, and you can store the value/bite point in your profile with the touch of a button, so you can store different bite points for different cars in your wheelbase profiles. That's quite impressive.

They also said that podium rims are coming together with the podium wheelbase (servo based), and that another dual clutch podium rim will be introduce (guess a successor to the current F1 rim).

tuo fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 28, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Has there been a bigger update to Assetto Corsa in the last couple of months? I never really got into it due to couple of things (FFB, VR performance etc.) and just tried it again, and I get super smooth VR and a decent FFB without even trying. What did I miss?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
the last good update was the Celica but i think the most recent thing was some Ferrari pack. they are probably focused on that new game so they can split their active playerbase as much as possible before the cash grab dries up

Thief fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 30, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hmmm....strange. I'm really getting the hang of it, allthough I seem to be dog slow compared to R3E and PCars 2. There's something about Assetto Corsa that I can't really name, like it sometimes seems "too smooth/clean", like when you really gently caress up braking, on other sims I get the sensation of it, and in Assetto Corsa I am just left with a hefty vibration on the wheel due to the flat tire spot.

I really enjoy it, mind you, but I am like two or three seconds off the pace on typical GP tracks for similar GT3 cars, and like ten seconds off the pace on Nords. Then again, I spent couple hundred ours in R3E, and am just really getting into AC.

Also tried the Ferrari stuff, and drat am I bad at driving the SF70H even remotely fast....guess I'll have to fiddle with the ERS settings, because it doesn't seem to apply the ERS by itself when getting out of slow corners, which it should imo, and I basically run around with 75% battery all the time. e: plus I'm superbad at driving small displacement turbo cars anyway, so there's that

ee: of MY pace in other sims, btw. Which isn't that fast anyway.

tuo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 4, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Accidentally damaged my wheel when putting it in the closet. It still works but the plug for the pedals is loose and if it isn't pushed in the right angle then it won't read any inputs.

I was already considering an upgrade though, the Fanatec 911 GT2 is discontinued and starting to get a little long in the tooth. Had it like 5 years now, although it is a pretty great wheel.

I'm really temped to get one of the new Fanatec wheels that support being able to remove the wheel and install different rims in seconds. I want a proper F1 style rim but I also want a proper road car rim. That new McLaren rim looks SO sexy to me too.

But with the 911 rim I had some issues, which makes me think maybe I should consider non-Fanatec? But then maybe the problems are just because the 911 is discontinued and if I get a clubsport wheel then that probably won't be discontinued any time soon.

Also considering trying to buy a cheap project car and start taking it to the track. Both would be expensive, so I should probably pick one or the other to focus on right now. Maybe I'll get a new wheel and do more VR racing and then get a project car sometime next year? Or maybe I should stick to the 911 wheel and get into real-world racing already. I don't know.

What are the best wheels on the market, sub-direct-drive-bank-breaking levels? Anybody have a clubsport that had an older Fanatec? Big upgrade? Anybody have any of the Fanatec F1 rims?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 4, 2018

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I upgraded from a Fanatec CSR (edit: that should be at about the same level as the 911 wheels) to a Clubsport and found it to be a major improvement. Other than a squeaky fan I didn't have any hardware issues so far, there were a few months during which I had to reinstall the drivers a few times for unexplainable reasons.

That "I could get a track car for that money" calulation always seemed a bit off to me. Running costs will quickly make that toy wheel seem rather cheap, no?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GhostDog posted:

I upgraded from a Fanatec CSR (edit: that should be at about the same level as the 911 wheels) to a Clubsport and found it to be a major improvement. Other than a squeaky fan I didn't have any hardware issues so far, there were a few months during which I had to reinstall the drivers a few times for unexplainable reasons.

Nice. What rim do you have?

GhostDog posted:

That "I could get a track car for that money" calulation always seemed a bit off to me. Running costs will quickly make that toy wheel seem rather cheap, no?

Oh no doubt, even if getting a new wheel meant getting new pedals, shifter, seat and all, maybe also upgrade to a VIVE-pro, it'd still only be like $2-3K tops where a race car, even if its a bucket of bolts will be several thousand to start with, and then several more for maintenance and fees such.

Its just I feel like if I'm doing the car thing then I should just stick to going all-in on that for a bit instead of trying to do both at the same time. VR is much much cheaper, but its not a completely negligible drop in the bucket either.

I'll probably get a new wheel soon and then build towards doing the real car thing in a year or two. Just trying to plan the future and balance things best.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Zaphod42 posted:

Nice. What rim do you have?

First I had the BMW and the standard Formula rim, and quickly realized that to get the most out of these toy motors you want as little weight as possible. The heavy BMW rim felt really dampened compared to the Formula so I sold it. The I bought the universal hub with the small Round rim - again: lightweight, even took the paddle shifter units of the hub, saved 140g, that's where I am in life.

Recently I bought the CSL Elite P1 which is (comparatively) cheap but the lightest rim including paddle shifters you can get currently. It feels a bit less quality than the others because it's more plastic, but it's the one I'm currently using the most. However, it does not have the same quick release and unlike the others I need that fixing screw to prevent it from having a (tiny) bit of play around the center.

If I had to buy a Clubsport right now I would definitely go for the McLaren (again: light) which is good for anything, and maybe wait for a new version of the CSL with the ability to upgrade it to the clubsport quick release.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

GhostDog posted:

I had the same with the CSW base. Especially, for quite some time I could only open the controller settings dialog once, and then had to reboot the OS (Win 10) to open it again, which sucked. But it went away with one of the least updates. I am very happy with the CSW. One thing I had to get used to is that I now basically leave most of the FFB settings stock, and do the rest on the wheel with the profiles. There is of course always some detail stuff you can improve on the FFB settings, but I no longer have totally different FFB feelings from sim to sim which I had with the T500.

In regard to the track car vs sim rig: a track car - irregardless of how cheap you buy it - is more expensive.

Regarding the rim: I have three currently, the F1 rim (carbon, heavily modified with dual clutches, sli and stuff), the M3 GT2 and the Porsche 918. Waiting for the McLaren to arrive. I can recommend both the F1 rim and the M3 GT2 to everyone who is willing to spend the money. Both are awesome in build quality and handling. Even if the F1 rim looks "simple" in regard to other rims, once you have it in your hands, you know it's awesome. I had the T500 Ferrari F1 rim before, and it feels like a toy compared to it. I am unsure about the Porsche 918 rim....to be honest, I shouldn't have bought it. It's nice and all, and has vibration motors in it, but there are so many things off with it. Normally, I use the "round rims" for everything that is GT3 and similar, and I use them with something like 360 to 720 degrees of steering limits, and I really love that. Like driving a 1992 DTM M3 over Nords, turning into a corner, feeling when the load of the car shifts and then letting the wheel loose and turn until I feel the need to catch it (and the car) again. With the Porsche 918 wheel, you have a super sharp edge sticking out of the top the wheel where the shift light indicators are, which constantly cuts into your hand while the wheel spins....even with gloves on, its super uncomfortable. Now I know that the 918 ain't a GT3 car, and while I don't know it first hand, can only suppose that a) it doesn't have this stupid edge at the top and b) the car doesn not have a steering that will make the wheel spin like it's a 1992 DTM car. So I can only recommend the M3 GT2 rim for people who want a rim they can run on 720 degree settings without having badly hurt index fingers.

e: just got the info that my Vive Pro shipped. Hopefully I get it before the weekend, so I can fiddle around with it in the simrig before taking it to the office next week. If it arrives and anybody is interested, I'll try to post some comparissions to the normal vive, rift and psvr (via trinus) in the sims I get it working with (I'll try R3E, PCars 2 and AC)

tuo fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 4, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah I'm extremely interested in comparing VIVE with VIVE pro

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

So much money.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The vive pro is a vive but more expensive

Hope this helps

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I had the chance to talk to devs that already fiddled around with it, and most say what you can already read in the reviews: the improvements are nice, but not worth the price. Should have dropped the original Vive in price like they did, and introduced the new one (headset only) at the price of the old package, instead of making it super expensive.

Still looking forward to try it in the simrig for couple of hours.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

We need the general public to embrace VR!!

*prices everything astronomically high*

Welp we tried.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
All of you nerds seem to have shitloads of money so you should definitely come hang with the iRacing crew because it is the notable Premiere Deluxe money pit sim and also team endurance best endurance, the best series to be all Serious Business about competing in (heck it says it right there on the car)

Vando fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 5, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Two hours in with the Vive Pro. It's cool and good, but I don't think it deserves the price they are asking. Will do a writeup tomorrow.

It is comfy, though, because it still uses the strange "higher up on the head" mounting of the back strap, but coupled with the PSVR mechanic. So it doesn't slam into your backhead even when driving in a motion rig.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Vando posted:

All of you nerds seem to have shitloads of money so you should definitely come hang with the iRacing crew because it is the notable Premiere Deluxe money pit sim and also team endurance best endurance, the best series to be all Serious Business about competing in (heck it says it right there on the car)

Too bad that message only lasts about half a lap before someone rear ends the car. :(

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My Lenovo WMR headset has been as low as $139 on sale through Microsoft store and matches the Vive pro's resolution. The lenses aren't the greatest but the comfort and tracking is just fine.

I still can't see why one would go with a Vive pro over WMR at the price.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

jonathan posted:

My Lenovo WMR headset has been as low as $139 on sale through Microsoft store and matches the Vive pro's resolution. The lenses aren't the greatest but the comfort and tracking is just fine.

dayum, that's a good deal

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

jonathan posted:

I own one would def recommend at this price. Especially for sim racing. 100% worth it..

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm not sure what the current price is on the Lenovo but I think it hovers around $200usd and comes with the hand controller things.

But the fact that you just plug in a single usb and hdmi and play is a huge step in the right direction Vs setting up the lighthouse stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sto...t%3aoverviewtab says $400

but Amazon has it for like $270 without controllers

Huh, I didn't even know this existed

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah the prices are all over. Windows Mixed Reality is the platform with different manufacturers following the spec. Lenovo is the cheapest and then Samsung was the most expensive. Samsung was $400 recently with 1600p resolution (I think).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Aside from the Samsung Odyssey, the WMR headsets are usually 1440x1440. The Odyssey and Vive Pro are 1440x1600.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Vando posted:

so custom liveries are a 3rd party mod thing but basically everyone that plays actually uses it even though its not official?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Thief posted:

so custom liveries are a 3rd party mod thing but basically everyone that plays actually uses it even though its not official?

Yep, I think it's evolved that way to get around issues with using real life logos etc and is almost entirely install-and-forget.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Vando posted:

Yep, I think it's evolved that way to get around issues with using real life logos etc and is almost entirely install-and-forget.

Pretty much, iRacing can't officially support anything that enables mass scale copyright infringements but having a third party like Trading Paints provide the function gives them plausible deniability when everybody wants to plaster Marlboro and Hooters logos all over their cars.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
The DRM revival mod for AC is finally going to be released sometime today: https://www.drm-modding-team.com/

I really hope they didn't gently caress this up. Such an awesome series.

Edit: They certainly did gently caress up the fake names. MAROD AERO. YAMAMOTO DELIKATA. LARDO MONASTIR.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 5, 2018

Magnaflux
Jun 28, 2007
The Humble Store is having a "Festival of Speed" sale, which means a bunch of racing games are on sale.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/festival-of-speed/?hmb_source=store_home

All the Asetto Corsa add on packs are on sale too, but beware. I bought the Ferrari 70th Anniversary pack and they are currently out of keys for it.

Both my lust for instant gratification and compulsion to complete full ownership of the Asetto Corsa DLC's has been left wanting and furious.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Thief posted:

You can do sorta-custom liveries with a website template and edit tool to get a basic color job with some style to it, but yeah Trading Paints (that 3rd party mod) is used by most and its pretty solid. Makes downloading people's custom liveries and browsing for new ones or sharing ones you make extremely painless.

And anybody is free to use or not use it. If you don't you'll see everybody with the edit tool paintjobs, if you do you'll see all the custom ones. So everybody gets to pick if they want to see them or not, nobody's forced. The only thing is some people don't ever bother using the edit tool stuff so they have extremely plain jane paintjobs if you don't have Trading Paints going, but hey whatever who cares.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I think I am gonna upgrade to the Fanatec Clubsport.

Think I'll keep my current pedals (old v1 clubsport)

Really want that McLaren wheel, I want an F1 style wheel but I think I'll wait for that one over the existing ones. Its cheaper too.

So I guess I'm gonna get the BMW rim for now? That looks like the kind of GT rim I want, to contrast with the McLaren rim. Anybody have that one or another fanatec wheel they recommend?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Trading Paints

that's a cool workaround

just out of curiosity, how are griefers handled with a system like this? i'd imagine its totally unmoderated but also lol at the idea of someone just plastering their car with goatse while risking a ban on a game they pay monthly for even if they haven't been in a single collision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Thief posted:

that's a cool workaround

just out of curiosity, how are griefers handled with a system like this? i'd imagine its totally unmoderated but also lol at the idea of someone just plastering their car with goatse while risking a ban on a game they pay monthly for even if they haven't been in a single collision

Trading paints themselves tags paintjobs as 'inappropriate for children' or something like that. I have no idea how its moderated or what happens or if there's a way to filter those out.

But since its unofficial and you can always turn off trading paints if you don't wanna see a certain paintjob, I don't think iRacing would do anything to somebody if they tried to race others with goatse.

I've never seen a paintjob that wasn't re-creating an actual car paintjob in iRacing myself. There's definitely some wild ones on the tradingpaints site (like giant pot leafs) but i've never seen anybody using them. And actual like, nudity, seems to be pretty rare.

iRacing and sim racing being such a serious and expensive hobby seems to keep some of the jackoffs out, but maybe I've just been lucky.

the FAQ says

quote:

Q: Are adult or otherwise offensive paint schemes allowed?
Adult or sensitive paint schemes should be avoided. If you feel the content of your paint scheme is questionable, please consider editing your paint scheme or marking it as a non-family friendly design.

Q: How can I report or flag an inappropriate paint scheme?
If you feel the content of a paint scheme or resource is actually your work, contains sensitive content, or is a violation of your Intellectual Property, click the "Report this submission" button and complete the form with details on why you are flagging the submission. Trading Paints staff will be alerted of the report and will take action within seven days, if necessary.

So straight up goatse would probably get deleted if anybody saw it.