Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ate all the Oreos posted:

seriouspost: i have a friend who has severe dyslexia who can't use anything except those loving flowchart visual programming bullshit things and she's basically writing an entire videogame in one (that I plan on kinda, coming in behind her and rewriting chunks of it in raw code before it's released) and she's been able to do some really impressive, complex poo poo with it so far that she'd never be able to do any other way :shrug:

there does seem to be some actual progress on this front, i have flip-flopped back to believing that there might be some promise to visual programming still

granted i do think that you want the smalltalk-style persistent image programming for visual programming, which is fantastically out of style, but it does not seem that improbable that it may come back around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

legit curious how she'd dig Hypercard.

i barely know anything about it so i can't say for sure but she might like it, she's real good at visualizing complex data and connections in her head - it's just if she tries to read or write it out in code it quickly scrambles itself up on the page and the curly boys (as she calls em') especially get all mixed up

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

legit curious how she'd dig Hypercard.

or mTropolis

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
man who taught me lisp had dyslexia

he was a junior at the place i went to while i was a freshman. the rest of his schedule besides his little lisp class he was teaching for fun was 4th-year graduate algebraic topology classes. i went to the kinda place that had 5 graduate algebraic topology classes

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

I love innovation in information technology

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Squeezy Farm posted:

you're a crotchety old man and this generation is going to leave you in the dust despite your advanced knowledge of programming languages and cherry mx blue switches hth

seems unlikely

they're too busy twitch streaming in their mothers' basements

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Squeezy Farm posted:

you're a crotchety old man and this generation is going to leave you in the dust despite your advanced knowledge of programming languages and cherry mx blue switches hth

Every generation is poo poo.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
this guy proactively apologies on behalf of Ol’ Musky for killing himself https://jalopnik.com/tesla-fanboy-writes-online-will-to-be-sure-no-one-sues-1824998711

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
tipping point reached; telsa fanboys objectively the worst out of all others

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tazjin posted:

I love innovation in information technology

Fill the website with 2pt white text racial slurs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

or mTropolis

mtropolis was loving awesome

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

the curly boys (as she calls em') especially get all mixed up

:3:

Whizbat!
Jan 22, 2004
Fun Shoe

im stealing this

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/Jim_Brunner/status/981699092358168576

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Amazon's big balls

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Nothing matters. Use Postmates.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

just gonna save this to my “agitprop” folder to use the next time someone brings up visual programming

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

seriouspost: i have a friend who has severe dyslexia who can't use anything except those loving flowchart visual programming bullshit things and she's basically writing an entire videogame in one (that I plan on kinda, coming in behind her and rewriting chunks of it in raw code before it's released) and she's been able to do some really impressive, complex poo poo with it so far that she'd never be able to do any other way :shrug:

that’s great!

does she also aggressively use all of the encapsulation functionality that her environment offers? on the CD-ROM edutainment title a company I worked for did, they found anything larger than like four to seven connected objects needed encapsulation in order to keep things manageable.

(the fact that I said “CD-ROM edutainment” should give you an idea of when this was… the project started in Sirius Developer and was finished after that was bought and renamed to Novell AppBuilder)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

i barely know anything about it so i can't say for sure but she might like it, she's real good at visualizing complex data and connections in her head - it's just if she tries to read or write it out in code it quickly scrambles itself up on the page and the curly boys (as she calls em') especially get all mixed up

maybe she just needs a non-bracetastic language

HyperCard was interesting because you put scripts directly on controls (which Visual BASIC later emulated) but you could also attach scripts to the cards themselves, the stack, and so on, to handle other aspects of it

the HyperTalk language had more regular syntax than the AppleScript English dialect that was inspired by it, while still being English-like; I think I recall that it actually used x := y for assignment instead of “set x to y” and so on, and didn’t require all sorts of articles and prepositions and so on, though both are very Pascal-ish (begin/end rather than {} and so on)

also both AppleScript and HyperTalk use -- to indicate an end-of-line comment, and instead of using a statement separator or terminator like . or ; they require ¬ (option-L) as a line continuation character; this all actually reads rather well:

code:
on press
    -- hello, old friend
    go to card with name "hello" ¬
      with transition dissolve
end press

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

big downsides of something like HyperCard:

• almost impossible to version-control or diff in any sensible fashion
• almost impossible to have multiple people to work on in any sensible fashion
• almost impossible to build libraries for because you hang scripts off of objects

there were “pro” variants like SuperCard where you could do write more advanced scripts, compile to native code, etc. and import existing HyperCard stacks to start from but most people stuck to regular HyperCard because it’s what came with their Mac (from 1987 to 1992 or so)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Whizbat! posted:

im stealing this

:ohdear:

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

intellisense would win

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i made a lot of weird crap with hypercard when i was 10. games & animations & stuff

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CommunistPancake posted:

intellisense would win

i have seen intellisense melt down and start flagging valid poo poo as errors because of a misplaced character hundreds of lines away.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Bhodi posted:

i'm saying just being hot is not enough, just like just being good at video games is not enough on it's own. people on twitch are ad-lib entertainers and it requires a number of factors. there's a whole list of things that go into being successful and some are things like streaming consistently at certain times to build up a base of people

one important thing is to never shut up (well, not for minutes at a time anyway). there might nothing going on in the game right now, but you have to have something to say.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

TerminalRaptor posted:

YouTube's live service let's you do the same and the few times I've stumbled into it it's been filled with idiots spamming racial slurs and swastikas.

because for some reason in 2018 moderation tools are poo poo and the defaults are even worse. by default just make any commenters posting slurs (just a simple word list even) take an automatic 5 minute time out (and don't post the message on stream) for the first offense and go up for any subsequent offenses. give the streamer an option to disable the filter if they deperately want the slurs visible.

maybe employ some 𝕄𝕒𝕔𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕖 𝕃𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕘 to help remove the hate speech.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

eschaton posted:

maybe she just needs a non-bracetastic language

eh i don't think it's the specific characters as much as it's just the characters in general get mixed up real easy. she also can't really "see" the flow of the program or what's connected to what at all when looking at the code, but when looking at the visual flowchart stuff she can quickly figure it out just by looking at the shape of it, even the super complex ones with a ton of poo poo going on.

we've discussed tryin' to set her up with some well-formatted C++ and one of those plugins that colors the code based on the depth or w/e when i get some time, because color-coding works real well for her so maybe she can at least figure out how to read the stuff if not write it.

eschaton posted:

that’s great!

does she also aggressively use all of the encapsulation functionality that her environment offers? on the CD-ROM edutainment title a company I worked for did, they found anything larger than like four to seven connected objects needed encapsulation in order to keep things manageable.

(the fact that I said “CD-ROM edutainment” should give you an idea of when this was… the project started in Sirius Developer and was finished after that was bought and renamed to Novell AppBuilder)

yeah she makes heavy use of encapsulation and takes the time to go back and refactor anything that's gotten too big into subunits. from what i've seen the "code" is actually very clean, or at least as clean as those things can be :shrug:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

that first reply lol

https://twitter.com/jivejiverson/status/981733870893543425

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

eschaton posted:

big downsides of something like HyperCard:

• almost impossible to version-control or diff in any sensible fashion
• almost impossible to have multiple people to work on in any sensible fashion
• almost impossible to build libraries for because you hang scripts off of objects

there were “pro” variants like SuperCard where you could do write more advanced scripts, compile to native code, etc. and import existing HyperCard stacks to start from but most people stuck to regular HyperCard because it’s what came with their Mac (from 1987 to 1992 or so)

hypercard libraries did exist in the form of native code blobs you could embed in your stack and invoke from hypertalk. when I messed with hypercard I had one that did full-color sprite animations

hypercard was so old that it never had real native support for color and using images with more than 1 bit of depth always required extra tools and hacks

haveblue fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 5, 2018

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
HyperCard was the poo poo

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

eschaton posted:

just gonna save this to my “agitprop” folder to use the next time someone brings up visual programming

I've seen some amazing stuff done with Labview.

I've also seen it used in strange places. in ~2007 at least some of the Chemical-Mechanical Planarization systems used in semiconductor manufacturing used labview to control the detection of the process endpoint.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
rip sk8 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SK8

got the sdk at work but never had time to play with it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

meatpotato posted:

tipping point reached; telsa fanboys objectively the worst out of all others

corporate fanboys are the lowest form of life

there was something on folklore.org about how some early apple project got canned along with its development team and the former employees assigned to said project actually started breaking into the office daily to complete the development of said project, for free

may we all find somebody who cares as much about making us happy as those dorks cared about making steve jobs rich

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
tech bubble and secfuck intersectionality edition:

women focused digital jitney suspends service after finding their entire records system is exposed, completely negating the entire concept of their service

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

rip sk8 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SK8

got the sdk at work but never had time to play with it

sk8 is Open Source and you can still download it from places on the Internet

that “SGI-esque granite” interface though

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

eschaton posted:

that “SGI-esque granite” interface though

:discourse:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sapozhnik posted:

corporate fanboys are the lowest form of life

there was something on folklore.org about how some early apple project got canned along with its development team and the former employees assigned to said project actually started breaking into the office daily to complete the development of said project, for free

may we all find somebody who cares as much about making us happy as those dorks cared about making steve jobs rich

When you're working 90 hours a week and literally have nothing else going on in your life what else are you going to do?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

move fast and dox women

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
tesla: our murderous ai isn't actually unsafe, you're supposed to be paying attention to the road after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
"look this thing we market as a robotic car is just a driver-assist safety system when it comes to the court of law"