Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I've been away for four days and now the manager and assistant manager aren't allowed to be in the same building according to HR.

What the gently caress happened :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Zenithe posted:

I've been away for four days and now the manager and assistant manager aren't allowed to be in the same building according to HR.

What the gently caress happened :shrug:

It's either fighting or loving. Or possibly both.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

Lol and gross, respectively.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Fil5000 posted:

Nobody in Australia cares about two co-workers loving. (a certain beetroot-human hybrid in our parliament notwithstanding) In fact I doubt you could legally enforce any kind of no loving coworkers policy. So Fighting is more likely.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The Lord Bude posted:

Nobody in Australia cares about two co-workers loving. (a certain beetroot-human hybrid in our parliament notwithstanding) In fact I doubt you could legally enforce any kind of no loving coworkers policy. So Fighting is more likely.

I was only thinking in terms of "if you've got two people that are responsible for a dual control process and you find out they're knocking boots it's a good idea to separate them".

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

:perfect:

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
The new girl ain't right.

She called me up to get a return done (I was at lunch, so fun), lady had three items, no receipt, three rowdy kids, and a few items get in exchange for the ones she was returning. The boss wanted to show her how to do a return because he wants her to become a new key carrier. So I show her how it's done and the lady leaves, the new lady turns and tells me, "I wouldn't have done that, I bet she stole all of that."

Okay...

No proof, no reason, just "I think they were stealing." Lady, her kid had a Switch, she has some money, and not everyone keeps receipts. Christ.

So she needs to leave at 5 and be replaced by another guy, so I tell her to count her drawer down and count the other guy's drawer up, since she's training to be a key. She counts her drawer down, and heads up, then asks, "was I supposed to count up his drawer?" She just doesn't listen.

Then like an hour later a regular comes in and tells me the lady refused a return. except, she's not a manager, she can't tell someone they can't do a return. I tried getting some more info, but the customer on my side started being "funny" to pull my attention to them.

gently caress me...

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
One of the guys that was up for the produce position said gently caress it, and quit.

So we're moving one of the cashiers to the meat department.

Next week he's going to be working dairy.

He has no experience in either department. This'll be super and won't gently caress up anything at all.

Me? I'd send myself to work dairy. I have experience. I've thrown two trucks before. I could come in early, throw dairy, then down stack frozen ( probably start it ). Cashier could work frozen ( which often has expiry dates measured in years instead of weeks ). This would test a possible replacement for myself while also giving me a trial run in dairy eh gently caress it why do I put more thought into management than my store manager

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

One of the guys that was up for the produce position said gently caress it, and quit.

So we're moving one of the cashiers to the meat department.

Next week he's going to be working dairy.

He has no experience in either department. This'll be super and won't gently caress up anything at all.

Me? I'd send myself to work dairy. I have experience. I've thrown two trucks before. I could come in early, throw dairy, then down stack frozen ( probably start it ). Cashier could work frozen ( which often has expiry dates measured in years instead of weeks ). This would test a possible replacement for myself while also giving me a trial run in dairy eh gently caress it why do I put more thought into management than my store manager

I'm telling you, man. Dairy beckons. Dairy kills lazy idiots because they don't want to check out of dates or clean. If you like being clean and you have the presence of mind to understand where and how out of dates happens, dairy is bliss. If you are the sole stocker and you rotate, nothing will ever be out of date. If nothing expires and your counts are right, nothing will ever be out of stock. Then you just clean and meditate in your cooler. You achieve retail nirvana.

Frozen is backstock hell. Turkey hell. Too much ice on the fourth of July hell. Produce is rotten garbage hell. Dairy is no trash, if done right. Dairy is perfect trucks, if done right. Dairy is perfect temperature coolers. Dairy is retail Buddhism. Ohm, motherfucker.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Duckman2008 posted:

Retail + sales - commission = bullshit

Last page, but this is why I consider myself fairly fortunate with my current job. I make a (nominal) commission on retail sales and service installations, 1% and .7% respectively. I'm trying to get the retail bumped up to 2% since service is shutting down.

It's not much, but when I get the big-fish jobs, like the $5,200 window screen order I just finished, that's $52 more on my paycheck on top of the $100-something I usually make.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

litany of gulps posted:

I'm telling you, man. Dairy beckons. Dairy kills lazy idiots because they don't want to check out of dates or clean. If you like being clean and you have the presence of mind to understand where and how out of dates happens, dairy is bliss. If you are the sole stocker and you rotate, nothing will ever be out of date. If nothing expires and your counts are right, nothing will ever be out of stock. Then you just clean and meditate in your cooler. You achieve retail nirvana.

Frozen is backstock hell. Turkey hell. Too much ice on the fourth of July hell. Produce is rotten garbage hell. Dairy is no trash, if done right. Dairy is perfect trucks, if done right. Dairy is perfect temperature coolers. Dairy is retail Buddhism. Ohm, motherfucker.

I'm shooting for it. My store manager might not give it to me, though. I don't know why.

Dairy right now is a piece of poo poo. Anyone that takes it over will have to go through it with fire and flame because many, many different people have been working it. The dates on the shelves are hosed up. The dates in the cooler are hosed up. Nothing is as it should be and everything is a mess.

Among the people in the running for dairy ( at our store ), I am the only one with dairy experience. The other two are cashiers. One is a janitor. If the store manager gives it to one of them, I am going to laugh and watch as it goes down in loving flames over the course of a month. It is probably the absolute worst place you could put someone with zero stocking experience because they will 100% gently caress it up.

Or, I dunno. Maybe she'll hire another person from another store. That would be good, because I will bring that up literally every time I am asked to come in early or work on my day off.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Shift had car troubles and was two and a half hours late, there was no mid shift supervisor so SM gave me run of the floor because he had "admin work" to do. 2 out of 3 coworkers are pretty seasoned so I was like "y'all know what to do". One was not, and even though shes barely had any practice making drinks she kept migrating over to bar trying to help me for some bizarre reason when she needed to be on customer support and restocking milks and keeping up with brewing. I told her to move to POS until her shift is over because she was in my way and not doing anything helpful. Felt like a meanie but I was not having it.

Solo-barred the after work rush, had to keep remaking drinks because I was getting frazzled, customers were getting pissy because of wait times, but I didnt even look at them. My managers sitting in the cafe, go talk to him.

I wore myself out and after I took my meal I was a loving zombie. SM told me he was proud of me for handling that so well, wanted to tell him to gently caress off.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

We've had a dude in our store for the last 6 months who is largely worthless. You have to jab him with a stick to get him to do anything and he still whines about that. He has only the most basic automotive knowledge so he has to be handheld through more complicated poo poo and has 0 desire to learn anything more to do his job competently. Dude constantly switches his shifts because he moved an hour away from the store, to the point that I've had no clue who I have coming or going on saturdays when he switches a shift, then switches again. Over the last 3 months store management has been on his rear end about him being generally poo poo at his job with no improvement on his part. Well this last week our front counter manager has been on vacation before I start mine thursday and the store manager had hers at the beginning of march. So we've been running thin for almost a month straight.

Dude gets it in his head that he needs a vacation too, with no notice and in the middle of everyone else taking theirs. Without asking for approval, he starts seeing who he can trade shifts with, asks them if they'd be willing, marks it on the schedule, etc. Finally it sinks into his tiny brain that he needs to have it approved by the SM or me and asks me saturday to approve it. The shift he wanted to swap was monday. I tell him no, he throws a fit and starts to dial corporate. My lack of a reaction clues him in that yes, I do have the authority as assistant manager to deny it and calling corporate will get him nowhere except further into poo poo.

I offer to talk with him in the back so I can explain my reasoning. He continues to be a salty assbucket and refuses, so I tell him its that or he goes home after working all of an hour of his 8 hour shift. He still refuses. I tell him to clock out and leave, he pulls the "I'm calling corporate" card to the exact same effect. So instead he calls his ride to pick him up and starts screaming about how hes going to quit instead. Then changes his mind going out the door and says he'll be there monday. Much covering of rear end is done with a text to the boss and written statements from all employees present for the fireworks.

Monday comes around and the SM has me open the store while she goes to my inventory to assist to the DM with stuff. Over the course of the day a coworker he is friendly with is overheard discussing that he is planning to lodge a hostile work environment complaint against me. Dude actually shows up on time monday with a smug look on his face until he sees me standing there setting up the freight run. Seeing it melt off his face was worth having to wake up at 6:00am to cover the bosses shift. Cue both of us being civil and overly polite for the remaining hour of my shift.

Talking to my DM who was in visiting today and my SM, they agree with my decisions. So yay, mostly in the clear. DM wants him dropped to 5-10 hours a week, sm says she'll do worse it if he files a false claim with HR against me. Somehow even when I do clash with people and go full rear end in a top hat, I wind up being the good cop compared to those two. :v:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 4, 2018

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
gently caress me, today. Both of my co-workers are new to the job and they both suck. The boss wanted me to get 6 rolltainers on the shelf with the help of the other guy, in 6 hours, not hard. I think we got barely 2.

The new lady just refuses to listen to me. It doesn't feel malicious, but my god. Any time I ask her to do something she responds with an affirmative, then just fucks off. Her customer service skills are garbage. Just today I had to cancel my lunch mid way through to help a customer who she pissed off. And once I pulled the customer to my side, she just walked away for like half an hour. And she needed help for most of the rest of the time, so when I could get back to put up stock, not five minutes later I had to run up and instruct her on how to do some bullshit she should already know how to do.

The other guy just seems stoned off his gourd. And I couldn't even find him for half his shift.

End of the day rolls around, so an hour before close I have to count my drawer and the change fund, takes roughly 20 to 30 minutes, while I do that, the casheirs are to bring in our sidewalk stuff. I can bring it all in in less then 10 minutes with no customers. They couldn't get all of it in in 30 minutes, I had to pull like half of it in.

So I told them to do the go backs, and neither touched it.

I'm not cursing at them or yelling at them, though I'm really close to doing that now.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Day start:

Pallet tips over, manage to save it by lurching the forklift forward so the pallet hits the pallet behind it instead of falling to the floor. Had to down stack it, down stacked the cucumbers into 2 pallets to keep them more stable.

Went to remove one of the pallets to throw the cucumbers we already had in stock on top, the pallet breaks in the middle. At this point with the boxes being smashed around they are no longer capable of properly stacking. Have to wrap the entire pallet back up in shrink wrap to keep it stable. At this point the boss sees how pissed off I am and sends me on my lunch while he takes care of the mess.

End of day AND THE loving ONION PALLET SNAPS DOWN THE CENTER :byodood:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
One day I'm going to snap, vanish, and spend the rest of my days roaming around brutally murdering every single warehouse employee who stacks poo poo on bad pallets instead of taking 2 minutes to get rid of the bad pallet, and every warehouse manager who lets the lazy assholes get away with it.

There are a lot of them, so I'll be a very busy unhinged psychopath.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Oh and the best part is the pallet that tipped? It wasn't secured with those plastic straps that most pallets are secured with. No it was "secured" with just the shrink wrap and ONE single strip of loving electrical tape. This pallet was stacked to head height and the best they could come up with to secure it is just taping up the middle once? I don't think it was even taped to the boxes, but rather to the shrink wrap on the outside because when the pallet tipped and I cut the shrink wrap the tape went off with it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Elmnt80 posted:

Talking to my DM who was in visiting today and my SM, they agree with my decisions. So yay, mostly in the clear. DM wants him dropped to 5-10 hours a week, sm says she'll do worse it if he files a false claim with HR against me. Somehow even when I do clash with people and go full rear end in a top hat, I wind up being the good cop compared to those two. :v:

That’s crazy, but thankfully people like that tend to weed themselves out after a few months.

On my job, nothing like waking up this morning being alerted that the president (market, not company thank god), Vice President, regional manager and district manager will be at work BEFORE open.

On one hand I’m glad to get it over with versus the pending “when are they getting here today?” But man, give us time to get stuff together.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Pentaghastly posted:

Shift had car troubles and was two and a half hours late, there was no mid shift supervisor so SM gave me run of the floor because he had "admin work" to do. 2 out of 3 coworkers are pretty seasoned so I was like "y'all know what to do". One was not, and even though shes barely had any practice making drinks she kept migrating over to bar trying to help me for some bizarre reason when she needed to be on customer support and restocking milks and keeping up with brewing. I told her to move to POS until her shift is over because she was in my way and not doing anything helpful. Felt like a meanie but I was not having it.

Solo-barred the after work rush, had to keep remaking drinks because I was getting frazzled, customers were getting pissy because of wait times, but I didnt even look at them. My managers sitting in the cafe, go talk to him.

I wore myself out and after I took my meal I was a loving zombie. SM told me he was proud of me for handling that so well, wanted to tell him to gently caress off.

Do you work in a Starbucks or a big retail book chain that serves Starbucks coffee?

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

Beastie posted:

Do you work in a Starbucks or a big retail book chain that serves Starbucks coffee?

I work in an actual Starbucks

Edit: I worry that ITT it isn't really considered "retail" but I also wouldn't consider it just "food service". I think its a weird middle ground

...like cracker barrel. Because "eat your dumplings, but also please buy this Reba Christmas album" is also like "enjoy your coffee have you considered buying this overpriced gnome shaped bottle opener"

Pentaghastly fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 4, 2018

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

That’s crazy, but thankfully people like that tend to weed themselves out after a few months.

I can only hope. And the sad thing is those two will also go to bat repeatedly for any employee under them against corporate or customers. You just have to do your job and put forward the the effort to not be poo poo. But those of us that have worked with my store manager before she got this store or even worse, worked with her when she was at a competitor know that she can be the devil incarnate when poo poo is consistently hosed up. The new people don't know this and think she's the good cop of the two of us. :v:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Pentaghastly posted:

Edit: I worry that ITT it isn't really considered "retail" but I also wouldn't consider it just "food service". I think its a weird middle ground

...like cracker barrel. Because "eat your dumplings, but also please buy this Reba Christmas album" is also like "enjoy your coffee have you considered buying this overpriced gnome shaped bottle opener"

No, I'd call it retail. You've got physical merch that you're supposed to upsell on, lovely customers, grueling schedules.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I woke up to a manager leaving a message on my machine, asking if I wanted to come in and work on my day off.

To fix problems that wouldn't exist if I had the hours I needed to begin with, or if other people did their jobs.

Nah.

Next full-time interview is on Thursday with that same manager.

:killemall:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Pentaghastly posted:

Yeah, don’t worry, you qualify to be in the retail club.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

Beastie posted:

No, I'd call it retail. You've got physical merch that you're supposed to upsell on, lovely customers, grueling schedules.

Which reminds me of lady an hour ago who said "can I get some service here please??" while my coworker was busy doing a pour-over. Her daughter looked mortified

Yeah I guess it really is retail hell

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I hate the "Can I get service here?" calls, they usually happen once you walk away for a second, almost literally a second. Usually they're followed up by a insult on how the store looks awful, yeah, it looks like poo poo because you keep needing my attention for the dumbest poo poo.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Pentaghastly posted:

Which reminds me of lady an hour ago who said "can I get some service here please??" while my coworker was busy doing a pour-over. Her daughter looked mortified

Yeah I guess it really is retail hell

This reminds me of the deli counter at our store.

See, we're a small store. That means during non-peak hours, our deli often has one person. Want to take a break? You gotta wait until you're clear. Take a piss? Wait. Get something from the back? Radio for help or- you guessed it. Wait.

So sometimes the clerk goes to the back to have a squat or a smoke or to get something from the cooler. Someone'll go to the deli counter, see there's nobody there, and look for help ( or someone to yell at ).

Since I'm right next to the deli, I get most of these customers. This interaction goes one of two ways:

1) "Sorry, the clerk has stepped away for a moment to use the restroom or fetch something from the back of the store. She'll be right back."

"Oh, OK. No problem."

2) "Sorry, the clerk has stepped away to-"

"What am I supposed to do? I THOUGHT IT WAS OPEN WHY ISN'T THERE SOMEONE HERE I CAN'T WAIT." They'll get pissy or incredulous or incredulously pissy, and then they'll walk off and come back in a few minutes, or take out their phone and wait. Or just waste my loving time.

rear end in a top hat, your loving meat isn't that important. And even if it was, the deli has whole baskets full of pre-cut meat and cheese right in front of the counter. It is the same. poo poo. As the stuff they'll cut for you.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Doesn't matter, that's not what they are there for. They want the freshest meat, bespoke cut for them. That's retailtainment, and that's the entire job of deli counters and bakeries.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lol there's literally tables of ~ * ratios * ~ for part time to full time employees and i guarantee you these were all done based on cost of employee alone with no consideration for the benefits of schedule stability on the business

This is why business people should never, ever learn calculus, they start doing basic rear end optimizations and think they're not missing a massive part of the picture because no one taught them to consider all the assumptions they're making when building their model

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Spreadsheet Is Always Right.

Relax. Learn to accept the truth. Learn to love the truth, and you will find peace.

The Spreadsheet Is Always Right.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

There has been an ongoing disaster in the general area, with three stores basically sharing staff to cover gaps, and in response to one worker getting fired for stealing, one worker getting fired for something (rumour was fraud), one manager quitting over that mess, another person doing things like calling in sick far too often (latest was 2 weeks absence with 1 days notice for an illness that was their partners) an ASM walking out mid shift over something I posted about before that led to HR getting involved, manager has decided to reward the good, hard working solid team that has never caused any problems by:

-reminding us of the shade of pants we are required to wear
-tell us we are not allowed to check our phones, even when on our breaks, and doing so will result in time sheet fraud (this is technically within the rules of our employment agreement, but has never ever been mentioned before)
-telling us to do up those two stupid collar buttons
-making us sticky tape signed and dated receipts onto all purchases we make in the store. For some reason this sticky tape is not allowed to be used for anything else (???)

I know he's having a hard time right now, but :wtc: man, don't go after the only people keeping poo poo together right now.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pretty good chance the SM has suddenly come under intense scrutiny from up on high and has been explicitly or implicitly ordered to do those things.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
My company finally updated our sigpads so it no longer asks customers the question: "Is this the amount you'd like to put on your card?" which is a godsend and one less stupid helljoke I don't have to hear anymore.

"No! I'd like it (the amount) to be less!" wasn't even funny the first time and I got a little sick satisfaction that it will no longer be a thing I hear.

Now if we could just finally do away with people not entering their PINs and constantly wanting to use credit for their debit cards, we'd be cooking with gas. (I concede this will never happen/is a long rear end way off)

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
Hi I'm an SM and I'm 2 weeks out from a complete store remodel, the store(drug store) is notorious for having no backroom space and having a door that can't accommodate pallets(I get 6-7 a week on my regular delivery, which have to be broken down outside and brought in), and for the third day in a row a truck has shown up to drop off a pallet of fixtures/equipment with no warning and I want to scream. There will also be major construction during daytime hours and my store will be open the whole time that's happening. I want to scream. Please pray for me, thread.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Shithead employee called and apologized to me today. No fucks given, I am officially on vacation. Boss worked it so I got 8 days off, only used 4 vacation days and kept 40 hours each week. :toot:

Also got to insanely annoy a customer who brought in a battery 6 months out of warranty and demanded I do something about it while the boss and our commercial manager giggled like idiots behind their counter pods. He bought another battery from me anyways. Take your jet ski out more than once a year, get a battery tender that does agm batteries and don't be a cock to the dude who can explain why your poo poo keeps loving up.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

litany of gulps posted:

Lol maybe Ive told this story but when I worked for a grocery store, I ended up being the guy who was somewhat competent at everything so they would get me to do odd jobs. One of those odd jobs was facing one aisle of dairy and pulling anything expired, and I ended up overfilling a cart with expired yogurt and cheese and poo poo, some of which was over half a year over expiration (I think one was a full year), and then left it in the dairy cooler right behind the door so it was the first thing the dairy manager saw when she started her shift

Apparently (unfortunately our shifts didnt overlap much so I wasnt able to witness this) she was furious when she saw this, stormed up to the manager asking what dipshit did this, and was calmly informed that it was all expired and she was going to happily inventory everything in that cart that day while still doing all of her other day to day stuff. She and I werent on speaking terms for the short amount of time I worked there after that

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Let me talk about why I no longer desire to work in frozen food.

When I first took over the position, it was tough, but I had things to learn. It was a challenge because I was still figuring things out, memorizing locations, adjusting minimum numbers for popular items and cutting the less popular ones. Some of our most popular items were set heinously low, and we were constantly running out.

I talked with one of the older managers who used to work my department, followed his advice, and fixed a fair number of problems. Over time, I became good enough at my job that I could take my time, more often than not, and leave early. In fact, leaving early became my primary motivation for going full gently caress force on any given day. If I could escape fifteen minutes "early", it was a flawless victory over the forces of pointless bullshit.

That has become impossible now that the old dairy guy has been promoted.

Let's stop for a second while I explain my daily duties.

In addition to breaking down my truck and getting my freight to the floor, I also have to condition my department, ice cream, and dairy. I'm also supposed to scan lows and holes in my department, and fill holes, if I can. Because I am closing, I am also supposed to fill milk, eggs, cold juices and teas, and pull the short-date list ( perishable goods close to expiration ) if the dairy guy does not have time to do it.

Back in the day, if he didn't have time, the old dairy guy would get with me. He would say "I didn't have time to do X, this is what you have to do. Can you do it? Cool." This would inform me as to what needed to be done, and was, in essence, a courtesy. A way of acknowledging I was taking care of work that would make his job easier the next day.

The new guy does not do this. The new guy does not fill milk and eggs before he goes. The new guy ( who has literal decades of experience over me ) doesn't pull the short-date list according to code. He doesn't rotate for poo poo, on shelf, or in his cooler. The new guy does not fill juice and teas.

Sometimes when I come in, the short-date list isn't done from the day before. Or the past few days, if I've had off. He'll leave with the milk and eggs mostly empty, which means I'll have to fill them when I come in, and again before I leave.

Other managers acknowledge and know he is doing a poo poo job. This is not my perception, this is reality. Sometimes I'll make an observation about dairy to our current grocery manager ( our old dairy guy ), and he'll start ranting, pissed that his former department is being managed in such a poo poo way.

It entertains me.

In addition to this, I am now also expected to work the ice cream truck. This adds around forty or so cases to every order. So now I am working my department, part of someone else's department, and ice cream. I am. Unhappy.

On truck days, my shift is six and a half hours. If I take my lunch break. If. If. Big loving if. This is, quite simply, not enough time. And so, sometimes, I stay late. But, more and more often, I've decided...

gently caress it. Why should I care? I always close, and I am always out late through, more often than not, no fault of my own. If I get passed over for this new full-time position and I am doomed to forever close and clean up after whatever new piece of poo poo they slot into the position, I'm just going to slack even harder.

Control Volume posted:

Lol maybe Ive told this story but when I worked for a grocery store, I ended up being the guy who was somewhat competent at everything so they would get me to do odd jobs. One of those odd jobs was facing one aisle of dairy and pulling anything expired, and I ended up overfilling a cart with expired yogurt and cheese and poo poo, some of which was over half a year over expiration (I think one was a full year), and then left it in the dairy cooler right behind the door so it was the first thing the dairy manager saw when she started her shift

Apparently (unfortunately our shifts didnt overlap much so I wasnt able to witness this) she was furious when she saw this, stormed up to the manager asking what dipshit did this, and was calmly informed that it was all expired and she was going to happily inventory everything in that cart that day while still doing all of her other day to day stuff. She and I werent on speaking terms for the short amount of time I worked there after that

I've done this, repeatedly. The first time I did it, the store manager did not thank me for doing it. She complained that I used a shopping cart and left it in the cooler, which is against ~corporate policy~.

So I did it two more times.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nerdy, like everyone else here I greatly enjoy the entertainment your writing in this thread provides. But I almost feel bad about it, because it's kind of painful the way you seem aware that management is gleefully taking advantage of your obsessive caring. They let everyone else get away with not giving a poo poo because they expect Nerdy to do pretty much everything, all the time. If you stopped doing everyone else's job in addition to your own, they would get ripshit pissed off at you rather than everyone else who has never done jackshit.

You should still stop caring, and tell them to go gently caress themselves, if they want you to do all the work they can pay you all the money. If you just keep doing everyone's work for years while management pisses all over you, you're going to completely flip your poo poo one of these days. :sigh:

DesolateRampage
Feb 16, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Nerdy, like everyone else here I greatly enjoy the entertainment your writing in this thread provides. But I almost feel bad about it, because it's kind of painful the way you seem aware that management is gleefully taking advantage of your obsessive caring. They let everyone else get away with not giving a poo poo because they expect Nerdy to do pretty much everything, all the time. If you stopped doing everyone else's job in addition to your own, they would get ripshit pissed off at you rather than everyone else who has never done jackshit.

You should still stop caring, and tell them to go gently caress themselves, if they want you to do all the work they can pay you all the money. If you just keep doing everyone's work for years while management pisses all over you, you're going to completely flip your poo poo one of these days. :sigh:

Yeah but even if he left nothing would change. They would hire another lazy sack of poo poo like the new Dairy guy he's talking about and then instead of anything getting done none of it would, it would just result in more returns/complaints that someone found something out of date.

Nerdy, I completely love your writing and you do an absolutely wonderful job of conveying the scene, setting the stage, and telling stories, and it's incredibly satisfying to read. That said, I do at times question if there's some part of this we aren't privy to, because for you to constantly keep getting passed over for positions, despite seemingly being (by far) the most logical fit, I wonder if one of three things isn't happening.

1.) Your superiors do not actually know how how much you desire to get out of your current position.
2.) While having good intentions, you come a cross as completely apathetic about your job and don't play the game required to get promoted.
3.) You really pissed off the wrong person or simply do not come across near as sincere as you do in your posts.

In all my experience being a supervisor (not retail, but call center which terribly different as far as mindset) any employee who I felt made my life a little easier, that was bright, and earnestly wanted to advance, was quickly earmarked by either myself or another supervisor in the department (or outside the department) and groomed over the course of 6-10 months by working projects that started small and increased in responsibility, as well as put them in position to grow as an employee (Help with training new hires, take calls in front of the class, do side by sides, coaching, back up the QA line, etc.) while that specific stuff does not exist in retail, their own versions do.

You absolutely seem like someone who deserves to be in a better situation and a better job than what you are currently doing. It's hard to know what to recommend because I don't know the true dynamics of why you are being passed over. But I would honestly request a legitimate sit down face to face meeting with your bosses boss, or your store manager, to explain that you feel you've done everything you can in your current role to prove your worth, and that you need guidance or help on getting fast-tracked into a newer role. Stress how you can see this being a career, not a job (even if bullshit.) and come up with a list of ways you might improve processes and improvements (that are relatively simple and minor, very cost effective, not fantasy, etc.) and present them in a, "You know I've been thinking how I could make life easier for you and everyone else...." type of way.

In my experience I never have a shortage of people trying to tell me what's wrong with the department (hint: it's everyone.) but having someone actually come to me with a real plan, grounded in reality, of some small, easily implementable ways we can go about fixing issues is exceedingly rare and I love the poo poo out of those employees. Just get on someones good side (that matters at this specific location) and work on convincing them it's worth sticking their neck out a little to help you out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Who wants to guess what this is and where I pulled it out of