Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

All things considered, someone who doesn't give a fig about Star Wars is probably the best guy for the job.

It's not unprecedented in sci-fi with cult followings. When they took over the movies, Harve Bennett had never seen an episode of Star Trek and Nick Meyer had watched one or two episodes with a college roommate while dropping acid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Maybe when people aren't trying to make fanfic, it turns the product into something better?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

tadashi posted:

Maybe when people aren't trying to make fanfic, it turns the product into something better?

Generally speaking that holds true. If you don't have a personal attachment to something, you're more willing to kill the babies.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Timby posted:

Generally speaking that holds true. If you don't have a personal attachment to something, you're more willing to kill the babies.
That's not how it worked for Anakin!

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

thrawn527 posted:

I don't remember the last time I even saw a Village Inn. Though I'm in FL, maybe they're regional.

I actually saw a Village Inn in Brandon, Fla. last week. I thought I saw a ghost, but nope, open for business. Couldn't believe it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

tadashi posted:

Yeah, off the top of my head, the only exception is Peter Jackson and Lord of the Rings.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

That's not how it worked for Anakin!

Lol

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

MonsieurChoc posted:

Everybody shut the gently caress up: The Laser Master is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ynmC1-YAEc
Fresh.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Thank you for the insipid story.

I liked the part where Celtic put ketchup on his sandwich and then ate a chicken tender

Yaws fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 6, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yaws posted:

I liked the part where Celtic put ketchup on his sandwich and then ate a chicken tender

It was good.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Everybody shut the gently caress up: The Laser Master is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ynmC1-YAEc

Wow. The CGI for the Special Edition really hasn’t aged well.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 6, 2018

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Doronin posted:

I actually saw a Village Inn in Brandon, Fla. last week. I thought I saw a ghost, but nope, open for business. Couldn't believe it.

You're lucky. The only Village Inn near me closed over a decade ago. It's still there, just nobody's bothered to redevelop the property.

This is in contrast to two Denny's and an IHOP within 5 miles of each other and they bring all the elderly to the yard.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I live in Phoenix and this whole place is littered with Dennys, IHOP, Waffle House and Village Inn.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Darth Vader knew that the power of the Force will lead to great things, like having your vehicle transform into an image of yourself that is sold at exorbitant prices due to branding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCd5iqNxuAQ

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The fattest loving hands.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Why on Earth is that video over 20 minutes long?!

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Gonz posted:

I live in Phoenix and this whole place is littered with Dennys, ISLOP, Awful House and Village Inn.

We want our terrible, awful food, and we want it now!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

All things considered, someone who doesn't give a fig about Star Wars is probably the best guy for the job.

Sometimes it can work out, like Martin Campbell and a Bond movie. Other times it doesn't, like Martin Campbell and GREEN LANTERN.

It's kind of interesting that Kathleen Kennedy gets away unscathed in this. How many directors now have not worked out on her watch? I guess given the movies are a success no one really gives a poo poo. But seeing as Evans got to deliver a complete cut before Gilroy was called makes me wonder just went on. There's a bit of self-fellatio going on in Gilroy's interview, but it's strange to think it was supposedly allowed to get into such a poor state before he came along.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

we don't know that it was actually in a poor state, we just know the studio didn't like it.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

R. Guyovich posted:

we don't know that it was actually in a poor state, we just know the studio didn't like it.

Weren't they uncomfortable with Terrorists having the gall to act like terrorists? Like Jyn was way more militant and less hopeful than in the final cut.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I get the feeling that Kat Kennedy is untouchable so you don't hear peep about her.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
She came up with Spielberg and Lucas - I think the first time she's credited on a movie is in Radiers of the Lost Ark where she's listed as "Assistant to Mr Spielberg" - and she's been reasonably powerful behind-the-scenes in Hollywood (along with her husband, another somewhat anonymous movie producer) for a long time.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It's funny reading Gilroy say how he doesn't give a crap about Star Wars when Rogue One felt to me like it "got" Star Wars more than the other Disney movies. TFA and TLJ both felt a lot like cargo-cult interpretations while Rogue One made me feel "This is Star Wars and I like it".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

galagazombie posted:

It's funny reading Gilroy say how he doesn't give a crap about Star Wars when Rogue One felt to me like it "got" Star Wars more than the other Disney movies. TFA and TLJ both felt a lot like cargo-cult interpretations while Rogue One made me feel "This is Star Wars and I like it".

The beginning of TLJ feels like Rogue One fanfic.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

All three of them are high budget fan fiction but Rogue One especially.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The beginning of TLJ feels like Rogue One fanfic.

How so?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the emphasis on a character who dies succeeding at their mission with the important people in the galaxy like your organas and your skywalkers unaware of who they even were

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Brother Entropy posted:

the emphasis on a character who dies succeeding at their mission with the important people in the galaxy like your organas and your skywalkers unaware of who they even were

This plus the way it concieves of The Force as a belief system rather than a source of magic powers.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

I thought it read more as inversion on that, where the heroic sacrifice was, without question worth it. There's a heroic sacrifice and a suicidal bombing mission, but it's a strategic loss, and solves nothing. It felt more like an indictment of Rogue One's implied values than anything else (along with the implied values of Ep 4)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

I thought it read more as inversion on that, where the heroic sacrifice was, without question worth it. There's a heroic sacrifice and a suicidal bombing mission, but it's a strategic loss, and solves nothing. It felt more like an indictment of Rogue One's implied values than anything else (along with the implied values of Ep 4)

fanfic can be an inversion on its source material, so the original comment still holds up even though this is also true

a lot of TLJ's subplots revolve around a lack of communication / understanding among ostensible allies, it'd make sense if johnson was inspired in part by how rogue one goes out dying for the sake of people who'd already given up

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Just a hint: The reason places like Iraq don't go well for us is because we invade, kill 50x as many of them as, blow up a ton of unrelated poo poo and then patrol the streets running the place.

If all the Iraqis were slaves and mobsters it'd gone a little differently.

if anything a society being just slaves and mobsters makes it harder to stabilize

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

fanfic can be an inversion on its source material, so the original comment still holds up even though this is also true

Sounds like you've got a very, very broad definition of fanfic, to the point that comparising something to it seems largely pointless. But, YMMV

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/982769994567053313?s=20

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Can't wait for the I'm Han Solo/Sabotage edits of the new Trailer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I already have Adobe Premiere opened.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The best part of ROTJ is after Luke does his "I'm going to dress cool so that everyone at my high school reunion knows I've changed" thing at Jabba's palace, he flies to see Yoda and changes out of his flightsuit into the same outfit

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Ingmar terdman posted:

The best part of ROTJ is after Luke does his "I'm going to dress cool so that everyone at my high school reunion knows I've changed" thing at Jabba's palace, he flies to see Yoda and changes out of his flightsuit into the same outfit

Well it would be over that outfit, thats how flightsuits/all coveralls work.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This video more or less sums up Star Wars

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

drat. I’m at a loss for words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!