Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Monster Hunter needs to hurry the hell up and come out on PC, and with a mouse interface / controls at least as good as DS3's.

I can guarantee you it’s not going to have good mouse+kb controls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

http://animal-crossing.com/videos/

So the animal crossing part of Nintendo's website is horribly broken and filled with "placeholder text goes here", lorem ipsum and switch trailers in the video feed. News is also similarly broken.

:tinfoil:

Without the Mayor or Isabelle in town Digby has started his plan to take over the land and demands all citizens swear fealty to him.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Andrast posted:

I can guarantee you it’s not going to have good mouse+kb controls

Yeah, it's literally going to be that team's first ever PC port so don't be surprised if it's 720p30 locked with Xbox 360 assets and require Games For Windows Live.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Convex posted:

I'm about 16 hours into Dark Souls 3 an it's fun and looks good but it doesn't seem anywhere near as interesting as the first one. At the cathedral with the huge smashy fist guys. Does it get better sometime soon? I got obsessed with the metroidy world in DS1 but never rated DS2 enough to finish it.

Ds3 is like a greatest hits of locations from earlier games and your feelings are the same as mine i got so bored i never played the last dlc. I'll have to finish that off before the ds remaster i suppose.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

exquisite tea posted:

It's getting up there, but there's always room for more spicy hot takes and personal rankings.

k

Of the 4 Souls games, Dark Souls 2 has the most interesting story and themes.

Real hurthling! posted:

Ds3 is like a greatest hits of locations from earlier games and your feelings are the same as mine i got so bored i never played the last dlc. I'll have to finish that off before the ds remaster i suppose.

I think the last DLC is pretty good but its not like, DS2 or Bloodborne DLC good. Also there are some people that really hate it which I never really understood.

It kicks the crap out of Ashes of Ariandel at any rate.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I think the last DLC is pretty good but its not like, DS2 or Bloodborne DLC good. Also there are some people that really hate it which I never really understood.

It kicks the crap out of Ashes of Ariandel at any rate.

The ringed city was a collection of all the things I dislike about dark souls

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/981966010642202624

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Raxivace posted:

Ah, so the terrible secret of Animal Crossing is that the web page isn't maintained.

From what I was told it was updated just the other day to be whatever this broken mess is.

That's the only reason I'm interested is all that and I'm desperate for something new from the series

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm an outlier when it comes to Souls opinions because I think the Ringed City DLC would have been better if it had taken place entirely in the Dreg Heap, an area many people think is the worst in the series.

I thought it was super loving cool. But then I also like the Gutter and Upper Blighttown (gently caress the bottom).

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Internet Kraken posted:

k

Of the 4 Souls games, Dark Souls 2 has the most interesting story and themes.

I was really confused that people held this opinion until I played the DLCs and wow they really added a lot to the experience. Story and lore seemed like the lowest priority thing for the base game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Real answer is that Sony commissions fledgling studios to do these remasters because they don't have to spend a whole lot of money supporting a large team and they're comparatively low-risk projects over building an entirely new game.

Activision got vicarious visions to make crash and toys for bob to do spyro, both founded in 1990 and 1989 respectively. Sony did not make them

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Even before the DLC DS2 always had the best story. Lore? Not really but the game wasn't really about lore which is why I feel so many people think its writing is "bad". Thematically its loving amazing with how it touches on the nature of memory and sense of worth. You have to put a lot of thought into that though which most people don't want to do. They just wanna read item descriptions and think that is amazing writing and nothing more.

Yeah I'm getting elitist about Soulsborne writing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Perhaps Nintendo made some kind of deal with the Spyro folks that they wouldn't officially announce the Switch version until E3 during their Direct? Some folks in charge of some stuff didn't get the memo about that

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kr7KDCsIws

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Did someone say Dark Souls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzJDimvPW1Y

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Dark Souls. The lore is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of Buddhist philosophy most of the lore will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Lothric's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Miura's literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of the lore, to realize that they're not just funny - they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Dark Souls truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Solaire's existencial catchphrase "If only I could be so grossly incandescent," which itself is a cryptic reference to Tolkien's Middle Earth epic Lord of the Rings. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Hidetaka Miyazaki's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. ?? And yes by the way, I DO have a Dark Souls tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I finished Tomb Raider Legend. It really feels like a proof of concept for the Uncharted series. The platforming is fun and it's got a couple of neat ideas but no follow through and I'm not sure if it's due to a lack of ideas, talent or technology.

The story is horrendous though. Completely abject terrible. And it cuts off just as the real meat of the story starts. It's like there should be another third to half of the game left.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I never liked the item description approach to storytelling in Dark Souls because instead of making me feel like an archaeologist or whatever it feels instead like somebody printed out Wikipedia articles and scattered them across the land.

And the only thing the articles end up saying "poo poo is hosed, yo".

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The giants and everything that had to do with them were legit really cool addition to the setting. The game just has a bunch of really flimsy story content when it comes down to everything else than its main themes and the DLCs I feel. I got that feeling of being really interested in the areas I was exploring a lot less in 2 compared to the other games.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Andrast posted:

The ringed city was a collection of all the things I dislike about dark souls

Ringed City basically highlights that the devs don't entirely understand what makes their game fun, but because of its place in the game (i.e. basically post-endgame) the usual methods of fixing their dumb mistakes by changing how you play are less effective.

For example, Dark Souls level exploration and non-boss combat gets vastly more fun when you can kill most enemies in a single combo, maybe two for really tough and significant enemies if you're using a dinky weapon. This is easily achievable for most of the game, but only if you're playing very efficiently in terms of weapon upgrades and staying a little ahead of what was probably the "intended" leveling curve. In Ringed City, this is no longer possible because the enemies are stupid sacks of health and you can't damage past it because you're already hitting the softcaps on damage. (Combined with the fact that leveling up too much is discouraged because it severely limits how much of the multiplayer content you can interact with on that character.)

Similarly, Dark Souls has always kinda-sorta incentivized just running through the level instead of taking your time to explore everything and pick up all the loot, but you could trivialize this incentive by playing smarter with regard to conserving estus, getting good enough to not take hits from enemies, and just clearing everything before you run around getting the goodies and seeing the sights. Ringed City, of course, is full of enemies that take a million years to fight, or attack you from angles where you can't retaliate, or which respawn if you take your time, or all of the above. It's the same incentives as before, except enforced way more harshly so that taking your time is a huge pain in the rear end to the point where the game all but forces you to play the other way.

Also the bosses are mostly lame. Dragon fights are never fun, Spear of the Church is an annoying crapshoot, and while Gael's okay he's kind of overshadowed by the similar but better-executed humanoid bosses in the base game. Demon Prince is a good fight and basically what Abyss Watchers should have been, but that's like one and a half good bosses out of four.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 5, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Spears of the Church was the best part of the DLC. It would of been way better though if it was easier to revive the Judicator. I spent hours killing Spears over and over but had to go on 5 minute detours everytime I wanted to fight a new one.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I am so glad everybody gets to talk about Dark Souls again because I don't think I've yet gotten a exhaustive opinion on the series from all 39 people who still post on this forum. It's getting up there, but there's always room for more spicy hot takes and personal rankings.

I liked Demon's Souls when I played it in 2010 and put 40 hours into it and finished it. Someone gifted me Dark Souls when it came out for PC and I put maybe around 10 hours into it and beat 3 bosses before getting bored and quitting - the original DeS was kind of an interesting one hit wonder for me and by then I wasn't interested in 40+ hour long slow paced games anymore, especially since I was never a fan of having to lose time running back to bosses even with shortcuts. I had no intention of getting DS2 but someone game shared it with me on the PS3 on release and I probably put maybe two hours into it before getting bored and quitting. I wouldn't bother with a Soulslike again until Bloodborne which I played for 15 hours on release then got bored and never touched again. A month or two later I somehow finished average Soulsclone Lords of the Fallen nearly twice and most of it was because you'd actually start right before the boss area when you died and I liked the setting even if it was nothing special. I bought the DS2 remaster when the price dropped and I wouldn't open it until like a year ago, only to put probably like 10 hours or less into it before getting bored and never touching it again. Thankfully I learned my lesson because I never got around to playing 3 despite someone gifting it to me at some point.

Right now I'm playing through The Surge on and off because I like the setting and it'll also probably remain unfinished since the level design is confusing, the bosses are annoyingly hard and for some reason they went back to the Souls respawn-at-safe spot system.

:shepicide:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

GUI posted:

I liked Demon's Souls when I played it in 2010 and put 40 hours into it and finished it. Someone gifted me Dark Souls when it came out for PC and I put maybe around 10 hours into it and beat 3 bosses before getting bored and quitting - the original DeS was kind of an interesting one hit wonder for me and by then I wasn't interested in 40+ hour long slow paced games anymore, especially since I was never a fan of having to lose time running back to bosses even with shortcuts. I had no intention of getting DS2 but someone game shared it with me on the PS3 on release and I probably put maybe two hours into it before getting bored and quitting. I wouldn't bother with a Soulslike again until Bloodborne which I played for 15 hours on release then got bored and never touched again. A month or two later I somehow finished average Soulsclone Lords of the Fallen nearly twice and most of it was because you'd actually start right before the boss area when you died and I liked the setting even if it was nothing special. I bought the DS2 remaster when the price dropped and I wouldn't open it until like a year ago, only to put probably like 10 hours or less into it before getting bored and never touching it again. Thankfully I learned my lesson because I never got around to playing 3 despite someone gifting it to me at some point.

Right now I'm playing through The Surge on and off because I like the setting and it'll also probably remain unfinished since the level design is confusing, the bosses are annoyingly hard and for some reason they went back to the Souls respawn-at-safe spot system.

:shepicide:

Honestly I've never found appeal in the "never heal never summon" style strict playing for these games because retrying a boss has so much downtime. I'm all for really difficult games as long as they let you jump right back into it when you fail

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Never summoning is something I stick too because it makes the bosses way too easy in some cases. If you've ever seen 4 players stunlock Friede in a corner you know what I mean.

Never healing is reserved for crazy challenge run seekers.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

as far as I'm concerned every item's description in soulsborne can be "poopfartbutt" I'm there for the level and encounter design and the enemies and bosses.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

as far as I'm concerned every item's description in soulsborne can be "poopfartbutt" I'm there for the level and encounter design and the enemies and bosses.

The lore is legit good but they put it in the background for a reason in that sitting you down and explaining it would really get in the way of what the game is going for

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

frampt trying to trick me into pooping the last fart, gonna take my butt to kaathe

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think the only longish series I've played every single game in is Fire Emblem so I'm gonna do my hot take rankings of it

Thracia 776
Blazing Blade (i.e. Fire Emblem no subtitle)
Awakening
Sacred Stones
Heroes
New Mystery of the Emblem
Path of Radiance
Genealogy of the Holy War
Tokyo Mirage Session #FE
Conquest
Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Mystery of the Emblem
Radiant Dawn
Birthright
Binding Blade
Gaiden
Shadow Dragon
Revelation
Akaneia Chronicles (i.e. BSFE)
Shadow Dragon and the Sword of Light (i.e. FE1)

It was tricky ranking games when they often have huge problems and good parts that don't overlap at all (like, Genealogy and Conquest are almost mutually exclusive in where their good parts are) but this is my hot take and I'm standing by it

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Dark Souls. The lore is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of Buddhist philosophy most of the lore will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Lothric's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Miura's literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of the lore, to realize that they're not just funny - they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Dark Souls truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Solaire's existencial catchphrase "If only I could be so grossly incandescent," which itself is a cryptic reference to Tolkien's Middle Earth epic Lord of the Rings. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Hidetaka Miyazaki's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. ?? And yes by the way, I DO have a Dark Souls tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

source your quotes

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think it was originally about Rick and Morty

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Marry gently caress kill Dark Souls games

Marry 1, gently caress 3, kill 2

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

that pig died so others might live a while longer, he is a true hero

a delicious, delicious hero :patriot:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Marry gently caress kill Dark Souls games

Marry 1, gently caress 3, kill 2

same

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
So Bloodborne is considered Souls game but Demon's Souls isnt?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Marry Bloodborne, gently caress 1, kill 2

DeS gets left out because it's stranded on PS3, it's absolutely a souls game but a ton of people didn't play it then and can't play it now.

Help Im Alive posted:

I think it was originally about Rick and Morty

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/to-be-fair-you-have-to-have-a-very-high-iq-to-understand-rick-and-morty

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Reality Loser posted:

So Bloodborne is considered Souls game but Demon's Souls isnt?

Whoever said that is being super silly. You could even argue that the Kings Field series are Souls games as well. They are the titles that Demon's Souls was inspired by.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
All Souls games have been actually King's Field this whole time.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Everybody wondering if that new trailer was a Tenchu.

Secret Ninja Blade sequel, fuckers.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Bloodborne is stranded on the PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phantasium posted:

Everybody wondering if that new trailer was a Tenchu.

Secret Ninja Blade sequel, fuckers.

As the only person who finished Ninja Blade, I'd play it

• Locked thread