Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Andy Robertson is the best left back in the league. What a loving player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
That was a great performance by Liverpool, and if they go through it is thoroughly deserved. Realistically I think they're going to score at least twice at the Etihad which means City are going to need six, but if Aguero's back, and Sane doesn't choke as hard as he did yesterday, and de Bruyne isn't played in such a weird position, and Henderson's gone, and Salah's injury is worse than first thought, and Mane auditions for the UFC again...

Anyway brb, winning the league.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

That was a great performance by Liverpool, and if they go through it is thoroughly deserved. Realistically I think they're going to score at least twice at the Etihad which means City are going to need six, but if Aguero's back, and Sane doesn't choke as hard as he did yesterday, and de Bruyne isn't played in such a weird position, and Henderson's gone, and Salah's injury is worse than first thought, and Mane auditions for the UFC again...

Anyway brb, winning the league.

If you score an early goal I think you'll smell blood and it will be a really tense fixture. If you push and we catch you on the break and score I think that's the tie over though.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Liverpool just need to get 1 away goal. City will need to score 5 then which is going to be tough.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Theres also the psychological issue of City having to overcome a 3 goal deficit against a side they failed to get a single shot on target against and without the kind of support that Liverpool got at Anfield last night.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Over the season the aggregate is now 8-7 I'll have you know.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Gorn Myson posted:

Theres also the psychological issue of City having to overcome a 3 goal deficit against a side they failed to get a single shot on target against and without the kind of support that Liverpool got at Anfield last night.

Conversely if City wrap up the league on Sunday, that might give them and their fans the psychological boost they need to go, "alright, that's that poo poo done, now lets charge into this second leg guns blazing."

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

The crowd next week is going to be interesting, apparently City were struggling to sell their home seats.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
No City fan is going to care about going out of the Champions League if the League is won on Derby day.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hot take: Liverpool will win, but they will get absolutely bummed in the next round.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Over the season the aggregate is now 8-7 I'll have you know.

As long as Liverpool almost immediately go down to 10 men city have a chance.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

City still absolutely have a chance. Liverpool could be missing Salah and Henderson for the next leg and our defense has been inconsistent at best.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
They're unequivocally missing Henderson, he got a yellow booting Sterling up the arse.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Eau de MacGowan posted:

They're unequivocally missing Henderson, he got a yellow booting Sterling up the arse.

Punished for loving. :(

I don't think this tie is over by any means.

And City's players will have an axe to grind with that whole bus incident too, so I think the motivation will be there.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Yeah I meant could be missing Salah and will be missing Henderson

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm just glad Oxlade-Chamberlain is secretly good

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If he won the CL in his first year away from Arsenal that would get a big hearty lol from me

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

The thread title has aged very poorly.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I think the lack of quality and competition of the Premier League is holding Man City from being competitive in European competitions.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

ephex posted:

I think the lack of quality and competition of the Premier League is holding Man City from being competitive in European competitions.

Very good.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I think a bald loving idiot fraud is holding Manchester City back from winning anything in Europe and I don't mean any forum mods or admins past present or future.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

CyberPingu posted:

If he won the CL in his first year away from Arsenal that would get a big hearty lol from me

Let’s be honest he won’t be winning anything :allears:

Seen the footage from inside the bus that’s doing the rounds, didn’t look as bad as the reports made out. Takes a special kind of personality to channel that hatred into a performance like C. Ronaldo I guess.

City beat Liverpool 5-0 at the Etihad once already this season so think it’s very much all to play for.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Gigi Galli posted:

I think a bald loving idiot fraud is holding Manchester City back from winning anything in Europe and I don't mean any forum mods or admins past present or future.

With the money the UAE's been spending on City, there's certainly more than only one bald fraud to be looking for.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Gigi Galli posted:

Greg?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Seen the footage from inside the bus that’s doing the rounds, didn’t look as bad as the reports made out.

Obviously throwing bottles and poo poo is bad etc etc but it really has been overblown, one little window was shattered. People comparing it to the Dortmund bomb attack last year can gently caress right off.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
So basically it was similar to what happened with Manchester United's bus at the last West Ham match at the Boleyn Ground, right?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Rude poo poo for sure

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Ewar Woowar posted:

Andy Robertson is the best left back in the league. What a loving player.

settle down there

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Pretty sure Pep would pay at least 60m for a LB of Robbo's caliber.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gigi Galli posted:

;)

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
For what it's worth all the city players said it was no big deal and didn't use it as any excuse for a poor performance

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

vyelkin posted:

I'm just glad Oxlade-Chamberlain is secretly good

:omarcomin:

https://twitter.com/lfcts/status/981827442137583616?s=21

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Blinkz0rz posted:

settle down there

Who is better?

Davies is handy tbf.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

The 24-year-old said: “The manager has been pushing me all season and shouting at me for not taking the game by the scruff of the neck and providing those kinds of moments, being the one shooting and making the difference. Slowly it is starting to pay off and it helps me to create moments like that.

“It definitely shows why I wanted to come here and I want to keep improving. My game I wasn’t too happy with. I could have been better on the ball so I was a bit disappointed with that and there are areas I need to improve on and can improve on.

“There were a few runs I did in the first half where I broke the line and it was just the last man I didn’t manage to get past or didn’t get the shot off and it is those moments where I could have had a second goal or set someone up that I can work on. But I was really happy for the team and tried to work as hard as I can to help the boys to defend.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/05/alex-oxlade-chamberlain-praises-anfield-atmosphere

The Ox is a good lad who means well and who would have thought that having a manager push you to improve instead of accepting mediocrity would lead to becoming a better player

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Haha, Ox got played as a wing at Arsenal because he wasn't better at the 6 than Santi Cazorla or Xhaka (lol), wasn't a better box-to-box than Ramsey, and wasn't a better creator than Özil. He played well in midfield once or twice but was too great a defensive liability to stay there yet.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Ox seems like a genuinely good lad who wasn’t progressing in Arsenal’s set up. I didn’t think he would make it as a central midfielder, but he’s doing well at Liverpool, and I’m happy for him.

Arsenal have been acquiring too many attacking players to accommodate them in any reasonable formation. And Wengy isn’t really developing young players like he used to. It’s tough to see a way forward, and it’s a sad state of affairs.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Oxlaide was confusing to evaluate. He rarely received more than 45 minutes and was usually one of Wenger’s 15 minute subs. When he came on, Arsenal would look more vulnerable but also much more dangerous. Off-hand, I’m pretty sure he scored the winning goal in their last FA Cup victory, and many of his goals were in big matches, not just padding scorelines against bottom-table garbage.

The wing at Arsenal was a terrible place for him. Less space for error, and defenders could reduce his decision making options and wedge his speed into an aimless corner. Plus the sides he was playing in had Ozil and Giroud instead of the willing runners that would have paired well with him. (Sanchez was on the left, Oxlaide was pushed right). Compounding the problem was Bellerin bombing forward and Ox being a spotty defender- the whole right flank would commit and then they’d be exposed.

Located centrally, he’s forcing defenders to commit and then blowing past them, and if his first touch isn’t supple, he at least has room to compensate with his pace. And now he’s surrounded by forward players who can keep up with him.

It’s a good fit, and an impressive spot by whoever at Liverpool had the stones to commit the £40million or whatever he cost. Looked like a massive gamble at the time, and now it looks almost obvious.

It also says something troubling about Arsenal that pacey midfielders dont belong in their team, given that the whole league is moving toward faster forward play.

Reprisal fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 6, 2018

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Ox got played on the wing at Arsenal because Wenger is quite stupid a lot of the time.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

brocked posted:

Haha, Ox got played as a wing at Arsenal because he wasn't better at the 6 than Santi Cazorla or Xhaka (lol), wasn't a better box-to-box than Ramsey, and wasn't a better creator than Özil. He played well in midfield once or twice but was too great a defensive liability to stay there yet.

I'm sure the 4 appearances (or however many) Santi Cazorla made in the last 9 years were what was keeping Ox on the wing and not this

Lot 49 posted:

Ox got played on the wing at Arsenal because Wenger is quite stupid a lot of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Must be very frustrating for the arsenal fans, that the club is totally content with mediocrity.

• Locked thread