Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

only reason to use windows is that outlook calendar doesn’t work on anything but outlook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

windows is what i run on any computer where i want it to spend 20 minutes each day rebooting and logging in over and over again to install software updates.

congratulations, your it dept sucks.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

computer toucher posted:

only reason to use windows is that outlook calendar doesn’t work on anything but outlook.

good news, outlook has been on Mac since forever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's even almost usable now!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

nm

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

good news, outlook has been on Mac since forever

welllll they don’t give me a mac at work >:/ I use linux on the desktop, just to spit in the face of God.

(citrix to wandows apps when needed)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you're on a 3rd rate os theres always outlook web mail/calendar.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

windows 10 is Real Good and shaggar was right that people doing Actual Work do it from windows.

come and watch some of my students try to use SolidWorks on a macbook, with no physical escape key or forward-delete key, through parallels, with the trackpad that doesn't middle-click and which scrolls in a hosed up manner, and see how long you last

i use my macbook pro to operate a linux vnc for most of my work and it requires all the commands you mention.

fn + delete is forward delete. that one is super easy.

if you need 3 mouse buttons, do what i did and map two finger tap to right click, two finger press to middle click. bam, done. magicprefs does this easy as do another of other free plugins.

scrolling direction is just muscle memory and you can turn it off if you can’t reverse your brain. escape key is also just a slight adjustment to muscle memory, it is in the same place just like 1/4” from where it was on my last macbook.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

i use my macbook pro to operate a linux vnc for most of my work and it requires all the commands you mention.

if you need 3 mouse buttons, do what i did and map two finger tap to right click, two finger press to middle click. bam, done. magicprefs does this easy as do another of other free plugins.

scrolling direction is just muscle memory and you can turn it off if you can’t reverse your brain. escape key is also just a slight adjustment to muscle memory, it is in the same place just like 1/4” from where it was on my last macbook.

i used a 3d cad program (rapidform) on a mac with touchpad settings like this for a while and while functional it was obnoxious and far easier to find a bt mouse

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

i wanna buy as many of those pro apple monitors as i can tower around me

also working on making the egpu experience nicer is good for everyone

poty fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 5, 2018

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

3 finger middle click imo, but osx unnatural scrolling is the worst

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
but lol @ all your workarounds for the shortcomings in your $2000 thin client

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

all they have to do to make a successful pro desktop is to re-use that old tower case design they had and stuff a normal computer in it.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shaggar posted:

but lol @ all your workarounds for the shortcomings in your $2000 thin client

actually it was $3500 for my dumb terminal + email machine

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
why would you do serious cad work without a mouse anyway, it's not like that wouldn't equally suck on a pc laptop

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

rjmccall posted:

why would you do serious cad work without a mouse anyway, it's not like that wouldn't equally suck on a pc laptop

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

just get razer naga for your emojibar mac so you have full functiona row at your command

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
reading the article I am now convinced that they are going to royally gently caress up the new Mac Pro and miss the entire point of everything people have been yelling about for years.

make a loving next gen cheese grater you stupid assholes. gently caress.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
windows might be a viable os now that you can install linux on it

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I'm probably going to need a new laptop, but I kind of want to wait until the rumored ARM MacBooks in 2020 now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

reading the article I am now convinced that they are going to royally gently caress up the new Mac Pro and miss the entire point of everything people have been yelling about for years.

yes, it's this. this is 100% what they're going to do because building a computer you can put bog standard expansion parts in is just too goddamned loving boring for apple

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

rjmccall posted:

tragic trouse would be just as bad

pram
Jun 10, 2001
tim release the off the shelf parts thrown into an atx case

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The Management posted:

forty eight core arm with sixteen thunderbolt ports and screen sharing over wireless gigabit to iPad pros who also compute elements via grand central dispatch

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i hope this year mbp top spec will have function row :smithicide:

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

pram posted:

e-atx cube

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yeah this is fine. whatever, just give me some gd room to put a heatsink

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

please tim

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
"You asked for it and we have listened. To talk about the future of the Mac Pro, please join me in welcoming our new SVP in charge of Mac Hardware Tonymacx86 to the stage..."
-timb in 2 months, probably

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its gonna be a micro itx but slight different so its incompatible with everything and it will have ryzen

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shaggar posted:

its gonna be a micro itx but slight different so its incompatible with everything and it will have ryzen

remember back in the ppc days i had a mac that required two dongles to connect to a normal vga monitor.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
this drat plug

even apple only ever made one single goddamn 14" monitor that actually used it but it was on all the 1st gen powerpc macs.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
ADC is the one true connector and timb will bring it back to dominate the industry

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

FMguru posted:

me: siri, what is the most boring imaginable article about apple?

siri: https://9to5mac.com/2018/04/04/apple-former-retail-stores-today/

a complete photo tour of every single apple store that has closed or relocated, complete with before and after pictures

all 86 of them

im not gonna look but one of these includes the one someone accidentally shot someone outside of so way to be lurid 9to5mac

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

MrMoo posted:

Why would you subject yourself to work email like that if you are not freelance or C-level?

Because defaults matter and Watch defaults to pinging you whenever some rear end in a top hat growth hacker decides to abuse APNS to juice engagement. It’s really goddamn dumb.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Apple's got some 2012 13-inch Classic MBPs in the refurb store right now. Which seems real fuckin weird to me

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Apple's got some 2012 13-inch Classic MBPs in the refurb store right now. Which seems real fuckin weird to me

they didn't stop selling those new until last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
apple's supply chain is an absolute train wreck and that was the one thing that tim was supposed to be able to do correctly